Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best camera for personal use hunting #7516538 05/21/19 02:59 AM
D
DSST_Construction Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Looking for best all around camera that I can use to take pictures and videos around 100 yards and still be fairly clear.
I enjoy recording the shoots if I can. Tried using my phone but it’s not getting the quality I like.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7516551 05/21/19 03:15 AM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I think for the point and shoot size cameras the Sony RX100s are hard to beat for picture quality. Not sure the quality for a 100+ yard video. Might need something with more zoom from a DSLR but then you go up in size and weight.

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7516565 05/21/19 03:43 AM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Your price range is obviously important-. I like the Nixon Coolpix line of camera.
Lots of options in a fairly wide price point. Wireless transfer of pics is great
in whatever you choose.

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7516688 05/21/19 12:38 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
I have two Canon DLSRs and a Panasonic Lumix FZ80 bridge camera. The Panasonic has all the functions of the DLSRs (20mm to 1200mm optically stabilized lens) and settings range from manual to automatic and anywhere in between. It has 4K video capture performance and WiFi for transferring pics and movies. When I leave the house now the DLSRs stay home and the Panasonic is my working camera.

I got mine for $250 on Amazon.

Panasonic

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7516725 05/21/19 01:19 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Canon SX60 HS

Great point and shoot auto focus camera. You can zoom 200+ yards and get excellent photos.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7516727 05/21/19 01:20 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I will probably end up with a Nikon P900 after seeing a lot of pics on here that have been taken. Great zoom for longer distances. I have a DSLR but just don't have the time to learn all the ins and outs of using one effectively.

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7516741 05/21/19 01:34 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
The Nikon P900 is a bridge camera. My Panasonic came with a 400 page owner's manual. It has a wider range of features than my Canon DLSRs. Don't expect the Nikon to be as simple as just a point and shoot if you want to get your money's worth. You will still need a very good tripod when zoomed out.

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7516767 05/21/19 01:59 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
2cents check the photo section on this forum...
scratch cant remember who, but thar b some AWESOME coolpics
in thar... PM them for prices & info...
i carried a cannon, Walmart special roughly $100.00 in phanny pack, yes phanny pack...
Do know on lower end cameras, cannon was better pics, like with phones, just up graded mine, for better camera quality, look for the pic's size think it per inch confused2 more more pic's better quality...

WARNING : this post will self destruct in 10,9,8, ....

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7517379 05/22/19 02:54 AM
D
DSST_Construction Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
I was hoping to be around $300-$500, zoom is a large factor I would like. Around 100 yards would be great to video and take pictures

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7517401 05/22/19 03:18 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im not a camera expert in the slightest but my friend has a Nikon p900 and I just got a p1000. I don't think the 900 is but $600. You don't know me but trust me it is sooooooo amazing the reach of the zoom you will be doing yourself a big disservice if you don't even consider it. I hate to go against what anybody says on here cause of my inexperience but it seems very close to point and shoot simplicity cause all I do is put on auto and snap.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: Choctaw] #7517426 05/22/19 03:51 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Choctaw
The Nikon P900 is a bridge camera. My Panasonic came with a 400 page owner's manual. It has a wider range of features than my Canon DLSRs. Don't expect the Nikon to be as simple as just a point and shoot if you want to get your money's worth. You will still need a very good tripod when zoomed out.

Hwyman would disagree I think. Doesn't he use a p1000 and his last one was a p900? I could be wrong though.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: Bee'z] #7517433 05/22/19 04:10 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
2Beez, im not sure what part you think hwyman will disagree with but I will say im almost certain you are correct on his 900 then 1000 experience. Hopefully he will chime in and from what I know he is very knowledgeable.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7517436 05/22/19 04:34 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
We had no disagreement. Choctaw said it was not point and shoot and Hwyman does not use a tripod up His pics in the photo forum speak for themselves

[Linked Image]
Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: Bee'z] #7517504 05/22/19 12:30 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by 2Beez
We had no disagreement. Choctaw said it was not point and shoot and Hwyman does not use a tripod up His pics in the photo forum speak for themselves

I guess I just shake too much because when I use extended glass I use a tripod. The point I was trying to make is the bridge cameras are fantastic and they can be so much more than point and shoot if you choose to spend the time to learn. They will eventually put a lot of the DLSRs out of business.

Even a DLSR can be a point and shoot camera. They all have auto settings.

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: Choctaw] #7517582 05/22/19 01:50 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Once again im a rookie with any camera and im not sure about common photography terminology so I should probably stay off here. But to clarify when i say "point and shoot" i am meaning there doesn't have to be any prior adjustments made before shooting. The various adjustments are all there so if you don't use them then you may not be getting your moneys worth but i thought most cameras had the adjustments but now im thinking im just ignorant on that. I shake like crazy and try to use a tripod or something for almost any camera. The 900 and 1000 when zoomed out even a good tripod is never enough.
Take my opinion for what its worth and maybe not much but the "super zoom" cams are likely intended to be a specialty item cause they zoom further than i dreamed was available. For the general public the use of that zoom would hardly ever be needed. However, on a hunting forum i would think that most of us see wildlife at great distances so the huge zoom would be hard not to consider and impossible for me to pass up. You can also send stills or video with wifi to your friends from you stand. One last thing is that im pretty sure the extended zoom capability has a tradeoff if anyone is looking for a "pro" level pic quality but for my hunting purposes the quality seems very good. As usual, just my 2cents.

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7517624 05/22/19 02:25 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
I'm not aware of any camera, from the simplest to the most complex that won't allow the user to simply point and shoot. All cameras come with fully automatic features. I agree, Freerange. An extended zoom camera will never give one pro-quality long range photos but most people are unwilling or unable to drop the major coin to purchase the glass necessary. Most of us are just amateurs though and the pictures a bridge camera are capable of are more than adequate for the most part.

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: Bee'z] #7518782 05/24/19 01:08 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Hwyman would disagree I think. Doesn't he use a p1000 and his last one was a p900? I could be wrong though.

Hard to disagree with him. While I rarely use a tripod I try to brace the camera as much as possible brace it on a tree, truck, truck window or any other way offering a chance to brace the camera. When he says bridge camera he absolutely right but they have their purpose also. I don't have time to change lenses, just like hunting you get just a moment to catch the picture and the P series Nikon's excel in that department. I can go from macro to full zoom and never take my eye off the target.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: dlrz71] #7520275 05/26/19 01:57 PM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dlrz71
I will probably end up with a Nikon P900 after seeing a lot of pics on here that have been taken. Great zoom for longer distances. I have a DSLR but just don't have the time to learn all the ins and outs of using one effectively.

your pix are always awesome! what camera do you use..and dont say a phone..lol

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: HWY_MAN] #7520750 05/27/19 03:19 AM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Hard to disagree with him. While I rarely use a tripod I try to brace the camera as much as possible brace it on a tree, truck, truck window or any other way offering a chance to brace the camera. When he says bridge camera he absolutely right but they have their purpose also. I don't have time to change lenses, just like hunting you get just a moment to catch the picture and the P series Nikon's excel in that department. I can go from macro to full zoom and never take my eye off the target.

Yes, these cameras are incredible. As I stated above, I rarely use my DLSRs anymore. It is nice to leave the house without a gadget bag full of lenses.

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7520947 05/27/19 03:44 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Back in the 35mm days, I went with a Canon camara and carried around 3 lenses along with the 35-80 that was usually on the camera. I carried rolls of film a flash and extra batteries. It was a pain, but I figured that it was worth it because I probably would never be to those countries again, or see what I was seeing.

Once digital cameras because affordable with really good features, I stuck with Canon and bought their SX10, and then when the SX30 came out, bought that and now I've been using the SX50 for about five years with great results. The SX70 is their newest, bestest model that I'm aware of. I don't believe one brand is significantly better then the others, and Nikon and the other quality name brands are all going to be comparable, so it doesn't really matter what brand you go with.

What I do think is important is that it's a All In One type camera. No changing lenses, or having to carry anything else with you. My battery is rechargeable and good for about 400 pictures. My SD card can hold thousands of pictures. I forget exactly, but my record is 2,600 when I went on a Cruise to ten different countries in the Mediterranean. When in South Africa on Safari, both my PH and I had Swarvoski binoculars. We used my camera as a spotting scope since it has a 50X optical zoom and after spotting the animals with out binoculars, we evaluated them with my camera. It has a flash built in, so there really is no reason to carry anything else with you.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerS...;qid=1558970737&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Here are a few pictures that I've taken with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: Choctaw] #7520956 05/27/19 04:08 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Yes, these cameras are incredible. As I stated above, I rarely use my DLSRs anymore. It is nice to leave the house without a gadget bag full of lenses.

Im glad this thread is continuing. Ive chimed in several times but I cant repeat enough about these cameras. I was clueless that anything soooo different actually existed that im begging everyone to look into. I used to see those huge and bulky 400mm lens on the sidelines of sporting events and thought that must be the farthest anything would zoom and I knew they were bulky and likely expensive. I had a 300mm lens that required switching to different lenses as Choctaw said. These "bridge" cameras(I only know about Nikons) have just the one lens that zooms in and out. The 1000 is much bigger and bulkier than the 900 but the 900 is not much bigger than any everyday camera. The 1000s zoom magnifies 125 times!!! Think 10power binos then multiply times 12!!! Three times more powerful than most spotting scopes(which it could double as). When I learned all this I likely felt like the Indians did when they put down theirs bows and picked up a rifle. You don't know what you don't know. I know im going on and on but I feel like that first Indian that picked up that rifle and im sure he told the rest of the tribe about it. I understand if its outa your budget or if youre a pro but otherwise I say "buy once, cry once." As usual, my 2cents.

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7522532 05/29/19 09:23 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The new point and shoot cameras area amazing with the quality you can get. They are much lighter than a DSLR/lens combo also usually. My camera and 500mm lens weighs in at just under 12 lbs. I have to use a tripod or some sort of sandbag or window rest to support it in the blind. I rarely ever change any the 500mm lens. I also take photos out to 3/4 of a mile with my 20.2 MP camera and the 500mm lens. I just crop any photo that when it is over 100 yards most of the time, to get the size or effect I want. I can crop to get the same effect you get with the zoom lens on the P900 or P1000. You can do the same with those cameras to get even better quality pics...take photos without as much zoom. The main factor I would look at is the type of zoom and then the speed of the lens. The P1000 has an F2.8 lens which is why it takes really great photos. My Canon lens is F4.0. I had a friend tell me one time he would take a Canon 400mm F2.8 lens over my 500mm F4.0 lens any day. He said he could take photos at the same distance and just crop them and still have as good or even better quality of photo as I did. I have learned to use the camera in manual settings more and more, which greatly improves the quality of the pics. Each type of camera has its place. I take my camera/lens/tripod to the blind with me everytime I go. The P1000 is a lot less weight(3.2 lbs vs 12 lbs) and not near as bulky. I have learned a long time ago that I kept seeing things that I said to myself.."I wished I had my camera". Now I never say that much anymore. You see some amazing things just sitting in a blind sometimes.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: stxranchman] #7522564 05/29/19 10:18 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
STX, your pictures are amazing. And the your subjects are even more amazing. Im not sure where anyone could find as many great pics of great Texas deer. Along with the pics the knowledge you contribute on this forum is top notch and much appreciated. And then theres that pesky fly...…

Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: DSST_Construction] #7522569 05/29/19 10:23 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
stxranchman, you've probably stated before, but what camera (the 12 pounder with the 500mm lens) are you using? Brand and model???

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Best camera for personal use hunting [Re: PMK] #7522752 05/30/19 01:53 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by freerange
STX, your pictures are amazing. And the your subjects are even more amazing. Im not sure where anyone could find as many great pics of great Texas deer. Along with the pics the knowledge you contribute on this forum is top notch and much appreciated. And then theres that pesky fly...…

Thanks. I am still learning to use my camera/lenses in the correct way. There are a lot of really well managed ranches in Texas that have really great deer. I just happen to get on a quite a few from time to time and take some photos.
Originally Posted by PMK
stxranchman, you've probably stated before, but what camera (the 12 pounder with the 500mm lens) are you using? Brand and model???

I use either a Canon 7D or Canon 50D for photos. The lens is a Canon 500mm f4.0 L IS USM lens. Those cameras are both 10+ yrs old and not made anymore. The lens is 11 yrs old also. There are approaching the end of their life span soon. The newer equipment today is hands down better than what I have, but it comes with a much greater price tag also. crazy

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide