Forums46
Topics536,989
Posts9,719,191
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? #7514689 05/18/19 12:59 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I have always been on leases where you have "your stand." That is the only one that you hunt. Now, I know many will not like that but to me it has always worked better because if I work hard keeping my feeder full, cutting shooting lanes, planting foodplots, I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor. It seems to me that every lease that I have been on there have always been one or two guys that do absolutely nothing during the year and show up on the first couple of weekends, and want to climb into stands where someone has worked hard all year long to make it as good as it could be. Im not saying that you don't put a lot of work into helping your friends on the lease who are helping you. I'm talking about the ones who always have a reason not to show up on "work days" but can always be there opening weekend. What say You?

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514693 05/18/19 01:09 PM
W
Walkabout Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I once spent a back breaking weekend cutting a shooting lane in virgin brush area had never been hunted. When I came back next weekend Ed had already set up condominium, said it was a perfect site. Whatya gonna do?

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514697 05/18/19 01:17 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We have six grown men on our lease. Two of which I grew up with, one father/son set, and the sixth is a friend of a friend. Each man that I have the privilege to hunt with has become a friend. We ask for permission to sit in another guy’s blind or are told by the blind ‘owner’ to go sit in his spot whenever. It is share and share alike in our neck of the woods. 5 of the 6 of us all have sons under 10 and the 6th gets to play surrogate grandpa to our boys. I couldn’t imagine a better setup.

As for work weekends, Occasionally all 6 of us can make it, but I think our open blinds policy helps stymie any bitterness with regard to work inequality.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514700 05/18/19 01:23 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
We have community blinds. We have more sets than hunters and all the sets are good sets. The key is to hunt with only like minded unselfish individuals.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514753 05/18/19 03:00 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Done both. When everyone does their part it works great to have community stands but everyone has to do equal work which is hard to do. Individual is nice because you get what you put into it but I get tired of looking at the same feeder, especially after I’ve shot something the first morning and busted up the area.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514786 05/18/19 03:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I wouldn't want to be a part of a lease that does not have community stands. Of course there are exceptions ( someone setting up a bow stand for instance for their own use ) but the whole "each member gets his own blind" situation kinda sucks.

Everyone will have their favorite blind however and that's natural, but pigeon holing yourself to only one spot takes a lot of the fun outta hunting.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514793 05/18/19 04:03 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Lease one going on 19 years now, there was three of us at one time, now only two and no guests allowed. We each have two to three stands with feeders each and responsible for our own feeders, though one or both of us do not always run them. We do not hunt each other stands. There is a "house" feeder by camp if one of us puts corn in it, a Wheat field, stalking anywhere, stands on trails to our neighbor's fence line feeders, and non feeder stands that are fair game. There have been rare occasions when my lease partners had feeder issues or not seeing game when I offered up my stands to them. Because we have had zero problems ever in all those years, we did not want to chance messing up a good thing after one of us passed, so we chose not to fill his spot.

Lease two is not really a lease. Two of us hunt for free in exchange for hog control and land improvement. We try to go about once a month, are expected to kill hogs, and include work time each trip if something needs to be done. Two of us have our own stand and do not hunt each other's stands. There is a third stand with feeder we maintain just in case we want to bring a guest, if a guest of landowner wants to hunt, or if we want to hunt it, but it's never hunted. We will help with each other's feeders if one of us can't make it.

With that arrangement knowing the last time anyone was even remotely near my stand/feeder was me, every first hunt of every trip to the lease has the potential of being just like another opening day.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514801 05/18/19 04:13 PM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
All of the stands on my property are mine because I am basically the only one hunting there....My dad rarely hunts anymore and my son rarely has time to hunt but both are welcome to hunt any stand. My son prefers to stalk when he gets to hunt so he usually doesn't use a stand.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514809 05/18/19 04:31 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
We have a pretty big lease and is setup for each person to have 2-300 acres each that is considered their area. Now if you give permission for another hunter to hunt your area you can but each spot has its own tag allotment. This is the only lease I have ever been on and seems to work pretty well and with the amount of acreage each member gets you are able to setup multiple stand locations if you choose for your area.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514841 05/18/19 05:17 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
We each have our own areas feeders, and blinds. I feed year round and others dont. I work on my area year round others dont. Everyone chose there own areas to be fair. I see no reason to have others benefit from my money and hard work. That being said, after i tag out i offer my area to others with stipulations. No guest hunting.

Last edited by GLC; 05/18/19 05:23 PM.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514843 05/18/19 05:18 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I have been on a large lease where the rule was anyone could hunt your stand anytime your not hunting it meaning if you wanted to sleep in one morning anyone could hunt your stand that morning. And they did or their guest did. I had the nicest stand on the lease, so it was hunted by someone every morning and evening Fri, Sat, Sun the entire season including several weekdays. There would always be the one guy that would get mad and lock his stand despite the written rules. And at least a couple guys on that lease after killing a buck would pull their feeder timer and dump their feeder long before season was over. I once had vehicle trouble on the way to the lease opening eve, rolled in at just before sunrise opening morning, walked to my stand and another lease member was in it. Rules said he could if I was not hunting it, but come on man, it was OPENING MORNING! I actually enjoyed this lease and enjoyed the people I was hunting with, but I also went into it that it would not for serious hunting. There was always drama going on between some guys with that stand arrangement, but I stayed out of it. I had another lease described earlier at the same time for my serious hunting. But if it had been my only place to hunt and was trying to seriously hunt it, I would not have been a happy camper with that arrangement and not got on it.

Another large lease I was on the rule was your stand was your stand only until Thanksgiving, then it was fair game for anyone. Guests were allowed after Thanksgiving with no limit and some weekends there were more people and kids hunting than we had stands so I would give my stand up and just sit on a bluff away from everybody. I knew to put my Deer hunting time in before thanksgiving. This lease was with very close long time shift work friends/coworkers so we got along well, but if it had been a bunch of strangers, it would have been chaos. I was on it more for hunting arrowheads than deer hunting otherwise it would not have been for me. I did my serious deer hunting on public land those years.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514845 05/18/19 05:20 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
We have stands that belong to people but only because they purchased or built the blind. We all hunt where we want.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514906 05/18/19 07:06 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
The three of us hunt our own areas and own our own blinds and feeders. The rest of the lease is available to all, I'm the "Lease Captain"" (LO designation) and am there in the off-season a lot more than the others.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514917 05/18/19 07:49 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Last lease was all community, but the LO provided, as pitiful as some were, the blinds. It was formerly a big, package hunt operation. We never had a problem regarding who's going where. THAT part was always drama free, thank goodness. The manager was talking about the group buying one or two a year until they were all replaced (12) when I got off. I could never figure out how someone didn't wind up with the short stick on that deal when someone, or everybody, got off the lease.

Everybody chipping together and building blinds that are probably gonna stay with the place - cool. Buying some cheapo PVF blinds (black plastic - San Antonio) - cool. Buying blinds that cost 1500.00 upwards to 2500.00 each and having some convoluted formula that the guy that's leaving gets his portion bought out by some new member coming on - not cool.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7514979 05/18/19 09:49 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This leasing stuff sounds like it is a PITA.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: don k] #7514993 05/18/19 10:08 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by don k
This leasing stuff sounds like it is a PITA.

That is not true. Sure there are bad leases with problems just as there a great leases with very few problems. Same as everything else in life. I have been very lucky to be on a great one for the past 12 years - would not trade the experiences I have had on our lease. We have a great group and a great ranch owner.

We do community blinds and first come, first serve. This allows each of us to get to hunt the entire ranch (9000 acres) as opposed to looking at the same deer and same country over and over. Big difference that allows us to do this is that our rancher takes care of all feeding and stands. To me having community blinds takes most of the "competition" out of the equation. It has worked well for our group for many years.

You can't fix stupid
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7515000 05/18/19 10:16 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Our place is 2k acres and we all have our own stands. But our rules say we can hunt someone else’s stand if we ask. My feeder is 70 yards from the stand and some hunters like their kids to shoot a doe at mine since it so close. I’m fine with that. But we have had some issues with some hunters. Some keep a lock on their stand and still ask to hunt everyone else’s stand also, but say no when asked to hunt their stand. So it’s been a topic of discussion. But we all manage at lease one blind and feeder. I’m fine with an open stand policy, but not if it’s not a fair deal for everyone.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7515006 05/18/19 10:21 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Some keep a lock on their stand and still ask to hunt everyone else’s stand also, but say no when asked to hunt their stand.

See, that's where I'd have to fight not throat punching them. Hunting is not a @#$%^&* competition. Losers.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Creekrunner] #7515045 05/18/19 11:25 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Some keep a lock on their stand and still ask to hunt everyone else’s stand also, but say no when asked to hunt their stand.

See, that's where I'd have to fight not throat punching them. Hunting is not a @#$%^&* competition. Losers.

For some, hunting is a competition, if not between hunters then as a personal issue for some hunters. They don't call them trophies for nothing, LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7515047 05/18/19 11:27 PM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
L
We all have our own stands and feeders. However, most of us will tell the others that they can hunt their stand if they are not there and someone isn’t see anything. We have a couple of wheat fields one as a stand that is a community stand and the other one doesn’t but we hunt it from the tree line. We have one lease member that bought a big fancy stand and he keeps it locked. We had a new member last year and the lease manager gave him his area and took one in another area. The lease manager did this because the neighbors like deer and he didn’t want any issues with a wounded deer running onto their property. We just try to let you everyone know where we are hunting.

Our biggest issue last year was no one was logging in what was taken. Then one member and his guests shot and wounded four deer. I heard there was suppose to be a talk about both of theses issues and I hope there was.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7515403 05/19/19 07:14 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
There are 5 of us that have been hunting together for years, and we all share in costs/maintenance of all of our stands and feeders. We share our spots between our group - never had any issue about who would hunt where. Our lease rules though state that only one buck can be taken per paid area.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Creekrunner] #7515566 05/20/19 12:21 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

I say those people are not as competetive as selfish. They want yours but don't want to share theirs.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7515569 05/20/19 12:23 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I was 15 years on a lease, I owned and hunted my blinds and feeders and others hunted their spots. Was never a problem.
We would hunt other blinds with permission sometimes, no one ever had a problem with it.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7515583 05/20/19 12:48 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
I was 15 years on a lease, I owned and hunted my blinds and feeders and others hunted their spots. Was never a problem.
We would hunt other blinds with permission sometimes, no one ever had a problem with it.

So I am just curious - did you get tired of paying for an entire lease while only hunting a small part of it? I do not care either way but for me that would be a problem

You can't fix stupid
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7515594 05/20/19 01:08 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

For some, hunting is a competition, if not between hunters then as a personal issue for some hunters. They don't call them trophies for nothing, LOL.

This person was not invited back this year, among other issues. And I agree.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide