Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Lease managers #7514399 05/17/19 10:46 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Are yours like part of the family, strictly business, or itrritable? I've had all three over the years.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7514419 05/17/19 11:32 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Hunted the same little place in East Texas all my life and plan to until my body won't let me anymore. Managers were my folks, now it's my wife so I'll go with "like part of the family", which ain't always a good thing. They've always worked me like a rented mule.

Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7514427 05/17/19 11:39 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
We need a companion thread titled “Lease Members” are yours serious, hunting is a year round activity, hard working, make work weekends in the off season, spend time with friend/family year round on the property, pay lease fees and feed bills on time, or are they hunt horns hard, shoot a buck.... see ya next opening weekend, always have other priorities all year till season then they’re there every weekend, never have time to help fill feeders or make a work weekend, have to be asked numerous times for money.

Guess I’m the strictly business lease manager, and unfortunately I have both types of lease member described above.

Re: Lease managers [Re: Txhunter65] #7514430 05/17/19 11:43 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Txhunter65
We need a companion thread titled “Lease Members” are yours serious, hunting is a year round activity, hard working, make work weekends in the off season, spend time with friend/family year round on the property, pay lease fees and feed bills on time, or are they hunt horns hard, shoot a buck.... see ya next opening weekend, always have other priorities all year till season then they’re there every weekend, never have time to help fill feeders or make a work weekend, have to be asked numerous times for money.

Guess I’m the strictly business lease manager, and unfortunately I have both types of lease member described above.

Aeb started a thread like that on OT one time. His members all parched in to help with a problem.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7514480 05/18/19 01:01 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Since I am my own lease manager I’d have to say irritable ..... texas cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7514553 05/18/19 02:29 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My last lease "manager" I still consider a friend, but he spent a solid week out there with his nephew basically drinking and riding around in his new (to him) Jeep. I go out there with my son right after and most feeders are empty and the rest have about 2 spins in 'em. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had to get off to keep what was left of our friendship. He considers himself a deer "expert" and every one else is pretty much supposed to serve him. Screw that. I was the oldest of the group. I've paid my dam dues. It was an education though. And I enjoyed the country.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7514668 05/18/19 12:07 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Does this sound friendly to you?

"Can't you guys read? He said PM for details. I'ts not hard."

[Linked Image]

Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7514672 05/18/19 12:18 PM
J
JP4065 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Sounds like he is the irritable type, maybe someone on the lease was pushing his buttons.

I have had all three types and the best one is the business like, he had no problem running someone off that was lazy or too cheap. That lease was drama free, unfortunately when the owner died his kids sold the place.

Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7514682 05/18/19 12:43 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I had them and I've been them, but always been like family.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7514789 05/18/19 03:58 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
had to deal with two lease managers in my life. One was on a place when I was a kid. Grumpy, irritable old man who used the lease to get drunk at a few weekends a year. would leave his stand at 8am and start driving thru the pasture. not a hunter at all.

Last lease manager was a great guy and a personal friend. I don't think anyone could ever say a cross word about him.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7515005 05/18/19 10:18 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have been LB on a large ranch for the past 12 years - to answer your question - I try to be two of the three you mentioned - like family but all business when it comes to the rules and how we operate.

I do not break our rules and expect that our members will not either. On the other hand, I will try to do anything I can for any lease member to help them out. But our ranch owners expect us to follow the rules and that is my job to make sure we do. Seems to have worked out so far.

I will add that before any new member joins us I try to make sure they fully understand and are clear about what the ranch rules are. They are written very clearly and logically and each member signs off on them. If they do not like or agree with them they do not have to join. Pretty simple IMO.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7515037 05/18/19 11:15 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
never lease again

packaged hunts

let someone do all the work

enjoy food and friends and success

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7515949 05/20/19 04:22 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
It's a thankless job that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. FME most problems arise from grown men acting like children........egos, jealousy, not following simple directions or rules. Problems can be reduced by managing the things that lead to the problems upfront. I concur with tlk on his management model.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Lease managers [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7515967 05/20/19 04:52 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by tlk
I have been LB on a large ranch for the past 12 years - to answer your question - I try to be two of the three you mentioned - like family but all business when it comes to the rules and how we operate.

I do not break our rules and expect that our members will not either. On the other hand, I will try to do anything I can for any lease member to help them out. But our ranch owners expect us to follow the rules and that is my job to make sure we do. Seems to have worked out so far.

I will add that before any new member joins us I try to make sure they fully understand and are clear about what the ranch rules are. They are written very clearly and logically and each member signs off on them. If they do not like or agree with them they do not have to join. Pretty simple IMO.

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
It's a thankless job that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. FME most problems arise from grown men acting like children........egos, jealousy, not following simple directions or rules. Problems can be reduced by managing the things that lead to the problems upfront. I concur with tlk on his management model.

Im all over it with tlk and Pitch. I can personally attest that it is by and large a thankless job. The guys just don't realize how much goes into it(at least on a real large place.) Like many areas of life, there are leaders and there are followers, and we need both and nothing wrong with either one. To paraphrase a quote, either lead or follow or get out of the way. Not preaching at all, just saying we all have choices. Either become lease boss yourself or support your lease boss or get out of his way. Seems simple, as usual my 2cents.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7515980 05/20/19 05:15 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
My Wife calls it, "the politics of deer hunting". Grown arse "men", acting like a bunch of $%#@mn idiots over an animal with antlers. So glad I don't have to deal with that BS anymore. Nothing like owning your own place. I make the rules now, which means, do what you want as long as it is legal, ethical and doesn't infringe on others enjoyment of the land.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Lease managers [Re: Erathkid] #7516307 05/20/19 11:16 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Erathkid
My Wife calls it, "the politics of deer hunting". Grown arse "men", acting like a bunch of $%#@mn idiots over an animal with antlers. So glad I don't have to deal with that BS anymore. Nothing like owning your own place. I make the rules now, which means, do what you want as long as it is legal, ethical and doesn't infringe on others enjoyment of the land.

I understand - I owned my own ranch and did whatever I wanted. However I missed sharing the experience with other common mind hunters so I sold my ranch and went back to hunting south texas - it has been a blast over the past 12 years. So as always - to each his own - whatever makes someone happy then go do it - beauty of living the good old USA - freedom to choose

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lease managers [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7516310 05/20/19 11:21 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

At times it does seem thankless - I think it is a micro view of society as a whole. There are those who get it and work for the good of the whole. Then there are those who are focused only on themselves and do not give a damn about anyone else.

I always laugh when I see the post from folks who state "I don't need no rules! I paid my money and want to do whatever the heck I feel like doing" (on somebody else's property).

There are different set ups for lease bosses - I understand that some get their lease cost paid by bumping up the other members payments - if that is how you do it then no problem.

In my case I pay my own way PLUS all the time, gas, etc. spent keeping the whole thing organized - so at the end of the day I end up paying way more than what any of my members pay to lease -

not complaining because I made the choice to do so. But if your lease boss is taking care of business and not charging anyone for it then I suggest you thank them profusely - if you are not thankful then I suggest you take his position for a year and then report back

Last edited by tlk; 05/20/19 11:46 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lease managers [Re: bill oxner] #7517451 05/22/19 08:32 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Ours is like family. Pays the bill and we hunt. All professionals so don't require much or anything outside of what we provide. We can contact the LO direct if we need anything right away. I would say we have the best relationship with both compared to what I see on here.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide