Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge #7512388 05/15/19 01:44 AM
B
B_Man Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Hog Hunting Experts,
I need your thoughts and wisdom. We hunt in West Texas and the place is so remote which means no cars, no pump jacks,
no trucks, no pumpers, no cattle ranchers, etc., some would even say remote x3. Here is the information: Starting a few weeks ago on our camera
pictures we see hogs May 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 at this one feeder early in the morning, during the day and late afternoon. Looks like a darn zoo.Hogs all day.
We drive into the place, pull the cameras on the evening of the 9th and then hunt the stand the 10th and 11th almost all day. Guess what- no hogs showing up
except in the dark and wee hours of the dark morning times. We think they hear the truck and quit showing up during the day. What does everyone think?

Now for options: we have considered placing a large loud wind chime in a tree out there trying to create some type of noise that they get used to so we can drive
into the place and hunt them. Does this sound reasonable or does anybody else have some ideas.? Sorry this long.

Thanks

Last edited by B_Man; 05/15/19 01:44 AM.
Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7512764 05/15/19 04:37 PM
P
PoppinPiggies Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Get a feeder light and blast them after dark if they don't show up during the day. You could be spooking them by walking in to get the camera card in the evening when they are active and they are catching your scent on the way there. it doesn't bother my pigs but I am also on location quite often so they are less wary of human scent. This would be my game plan. Go buy a feeder light. Next time you go out don't check the camera that night. If you get there early enough hunt that night. Late next morning when it's less likely that they'd be around go install the feeder light/ check game camera/ fill feeder ect.. when you leave spread a little extra corn around. Hunt the rest of the weekend. Next time you go they should be used to the feeder light and it'll be time to pop some piggies!

Follow me on instagram @crosstexasoutdoors
Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7512838 05/15/19 06:27 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Could you be spooking them, yes. Could they smell you after you pull the card, yes. Is it effecting them, not sure until you did it a few more times (or didn't do it).

One of the best bow hunting hog stands we had was in an old tree with a hunting platform built between the 3 limbs. There was an old extension ladder leaning on the platform to get up there. The platform and ladder was so squeaky loud when the wind blew the tree and both the platform and ladder creaked really bad. You could tap dance on that stand and not spook the pigs off. I loved that stand since you could get away with lots of movement and sound. I killed MANY pigs out of that spot with a bow. So, a little noise can be a good thing.

+! on the feeder light.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7512880 05/15/19 07:13 PM
J
jwilliams78 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Originally Posted by PoppinPiggies
Get a feeder light and blast them after dark if they don't show up during the day. You could be spooking them by walking in to get the camera card in the evening when they are active and they are catching your scent on the way there. it doesn't bother my pigs but I am also on location quite often so they are less wary of human scent. This would be my game plan. Go buy a feeder light. Next time you go out don't check the camera that night. If you get there early enough hunt that night. Late next morning when it's less likely that they'd be around go install the feeder light/ check game camera/ fill feeder ect.. when you leave spread a little extra corn around. Hunt the rest of the weekend. Next time you go they should be used to the feeder light and it'll be time to pop some piggies!

I second this , I have killed them night and day. most come out 5 pm or later. I have had a few that have come out mid day and early morning but most are later in the evenings for sure. I do also use a feeder light and have killed under them.

Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7513019 05/15/19 09:47 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Pigs are far more spooked by human scent than deer. If you are leaving scent in a area you are about to hunt by checking cameras you have one strike against you right off the bat.

Also you could be spooking them from their bedding area by driving or walking into stand location. Without seeing the lay of the land its impossible for me to know for sure.

The main thing is wind. Pigs don't play around with human scent. A deer may stomp and blow for awhile but a pig will get the heck out of there! I have had stand locations I couldn't hunt dang near all season due to the wrong winds. You cant beat a pigs nose so don't even try.

Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7513089 05/15/19 11:07 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Park further away, make sure you aren’t crossing the trails they approach the feeder on, and make sure the wind is in your favor

Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: SapperTitan] #7513299 05/16/19 04:58 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Yall got winded. Game over.

Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: sqiggy] #7513304 05/16/19 05:33 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by sqiggy
Yall got winded. Game over.

The universal pat answer for any hunt where the animals don't cooperate. clap

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7513306 05/16/19 05:45 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
There are places and times when it seems to be the exception, but the biggest mistake I see people make on feeder/stand setups IMHO is the moment they arrive at the lease walking up to the feeder to check the game cameras, feeder operation and level, for sign, etc. Often includes driving right up to the feeder with a buddy, talking loud, walking around looking at trails, etc. As an experiment try staying away from the feeder area your hunting until at least the second day of the lease trip. Plus walking up quietly from downwind to your stand and to stand only on hunts that first day. See if it starts making a difference on that first day success.

Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7513644 05/16/19 07:17 PM
B
B_Man Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Thanks everyone for taking time out of your daily schedules to help with ideas.
I appreciate them very much. I know when we deer hunted we decided to walk to the deer blinds even
if they were 30-40 minutes away the first 2-3 days to make sure our vehicles did not make any sound. We will try and
wait to check the cameras, feeders etc. after the first or 2nd day. The problem was that we wanted to
see if we have turkeys coming in, what time they were coming in, etc. so we knew what general areas to hunt.

It seems that the con-census is that the hogs smelled our scent and maybe not necessarily heard the truck.
We will work on our scent cover and walk in.

thanks again for all your help. Good luck hunting to you guys this fall.

Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7513648 05/16/19 07:37 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Another note. I have hunted areas where the pigs would hammer one spot for days on end, and then, for some unknown reason, not come back to that spot for days or weeks. they'd be busy hammering another spot. That said, I would stay away from your feeders and cameras until after you have hunted at least the first eveing and first morning. Go check them after the morning hunt.

Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7515543 05/19/19 11:32 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
wind wind wind...As stated previously if the wind is bad then you are doomed. I have hunted many times with deer all around me paying me little to no attention. As soon as a hog would show up down wind it would not stay long and bolt back into the brush. They don't play around if it ain't right.

Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7526717 06/04/19 02:45 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Last year I walked up to a feeder to check if it was running, saw corn on the ground and went to the stand. 15 minutes later a sow and some piglets come out of the brush headed for the feeder down the same path I used and as soon as they hit it the sow squealed, jumped straight up and ran off giving me a poor shot through the brush which did not produce! I say don't check the feeders right before you hunt em!

Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7526781 06/04/19 03:50 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
While NOT an expert... Tis a thinking, scratch hunting pressure plays biggest roll...

If they heard truck ? Park farther away... arrive earlier... tis a thinken scratch ya tried playing the wind...
Could been heat, tempature, warmer weather less movement... Hogs dont sweat... Reason see the wallows, cools em off & helps with the ticks, fleas, chiggers, & such... reason see the rubs on trees & such...
Some good tips from d others. . 2cents i'm not an expert, i gots cheap posts...
flag

Last edited by colt.45; 06/04/19 03:52 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7589821 08/26/19 02:44 PM
S
SMatthews Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I'm no expert, but I find pigs to be incredibly unpredictable! All last season, I was getting a big boar on camera regularly at night when I wasn't there. I waited countless hours in the stand at night waiting on him to come out, never did. I'd leave on Sunday, they'd be back Sunday night or Monday. I was convinced we were scaring them off. Last time I hunted the stand in March, checked the feeder when I got there to make sure it was still throwing corn. Got back to the blind with an hour or so left of daylight and had to push about 75 cows away from the field I was hunting, including them actually eating at the feeder. Me and my son walked around pushing cows for at least 20 minutes to get them clear. We did everything "wrong" that could have possibly been done. Might as well shot off fireworks. We both got in the stand very, very skeptical about what we were going to see after that fiasco. Damn pig walks out 30 yards away from the stand about 20 minutes after we finally settled in. That was the last time he walked anywhere. Maybe the cows being there covered our scents. No clue!

This past weekend, I went down and had to adjust the camera. I also needed to make adjustments to the feeder. Drove right up to it to do the work and left the truck running the whole time because it was HOT and I wanted AC. 10 pigs were on the feeder six hours after I left. I certainly haven't figured them out! I think there's sound advice in this thread, but my experience tells me there are no right or wrong answers, just best practice suggestions and a lot of trial and error.

Re: Need Some Hog Hunting Knowledge [Re: B_Man] #7590028 08/26/19 05:48 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Hang some of your clothes on some limbs etc... so they get used to the scent. I have guys show up smelling like Tide and cologne and just shake my head.
If your'e going to hunt in your street clothes then get them used to that smell and they will learn to ignore it.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide