Print Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: 909ag2006] #7487692 04/15/19 01:24 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I have a very detailed management plan that I will write below. Please consider taking 5-6 hours to sit down and read this, as I've put my life's observations and data collection into this study. with that said, here it is..

STOP SHOOTING 1 year old bucks!

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: 909ag2006] #7487732 04/15/19 02:06 PM
T
tailchaser93 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
cheers

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: 909ag2006] #7487748 04/15/19 02:25 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I hear that!!

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: Mr. T.] #7488342 04/16/19 01:46 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Theres exeptions to every rule but basically Kyles management plan covers 99% of leases, IMO.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7510816 05/13/19 12:30 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
If TPWD really thinks that spikes are inferior, why do they wait till the end of the season after them spunky boogers have been spreading their supposedly inferior genes, to give us a special late season for them.
I would think they would let us have an early season (September up) to eliminate them from the breeding pool.

I’ve never thought about it like that. Most excellent point

A 1.5 year old deer probably wont breed anything, nor will a 2.5. TPWD probably allows them to be shot late season because they're still stupid enough to be showing up consistently.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: 909ag2006] #7510840 05/13/19 01:00 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
If TPWD really thinks that spikes are inferior, why do they wait till the end of the season after them spunky boogers have been spreading their supposedly inferior genes, to give us a special late season for them.
I would think they would let us have an early season (September up) to eliminate them from the breeding pool.

Originally Posted by txbobcat

Why wouldnt you just shoot them opening weekend if you have a problem with them? Why do you need a special season to shoot them?

for the same reason the doe season is extended...... no one does management work early. nearly all of our hunters sit in a blind opening weekend thinking the buck of their life time is about to walk out any second and they do noting for 2-4 hours but sleep read or play on the phone...... and pass on a million opportunities to contribute to the management plan.
"why can't we do it in Sept argument" is retarded.... that's when bow season is...

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: KWood_TSU] #7510845 05/13/19 01:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

A 1.5 year old deer probably wont breed anything, nor will a 2.5. TPWD probably allows them to be shot late season because they're still stupid enough to be showing up consistently.

Try again, in a unbalanced herd, they can and will breed. Even in a highly managed balanced herd they still get their shots in, just not as prolifically. No such thing as pair bonding in Deer. Watched numerous 1.5 deer breed.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7510863 05/13/19 01:23 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Try again, in a unbalanced herd, they can and will breed. Even in a highly managed balanced herd they still get their shots in, just not as prolifically. No such thing as pair bonding in Deer. Watched numerous 1.5 deer breed.

Agree, I don't know where the thought comes from that only the "Bull of the Woods" breeds.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: SingleShot85] #7510881 05/13/19 01:33 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by SingleShot85

Why wouldnt you just shoot them opening weekend if you have a problem with them? Why do you need a special season to shoot them?

for the same reason the doe season is extended...... no one does management work early. nearly all of our hunters sit in a blind opening weekend thinking the buck of their life time is about to walk out any second and they do noting for 2-4 hours but sleep read or play on the phone...... and pass on a million opportunities to contribute to the management plan.
"why can't we do it in Sept argument" is retarded.... that's when bow season is...

No bow season in sept unless you are hunting elk or mule deer in another state, even under MLD. A lot of people do the bulk of their doe and cull management early. They just aren’t on THF talking about talking about theorized deer management. I’m normally tag out doe wise(Non MLD) by first sit, some times takes two sits. If I don’t use left over buck tags I may hunt extended doe, normally I mule deer hunting then though.

A lot of ranches try to get bulk of doe and cull early, and then chip away at whats left through out season,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7510913 05/13/19 02:00 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SingleShot85

No bow season in sept unless you are hunting elk or mule deer in another state, even under MLD. A lot of people do the bulk of their doe and cull management early. They just aren’t on THF talking about talking about theorized deer management. I’m normally tag out doe wise(Non MLD) by first sit, some times takes two sits. If I don’t use left over buck tags I may hunt extended doe, normally I mule deer hunting then though.

A lot of ranches try to get bulk of doe and cull early, and then chip away at whats left through out season,

wait.. what?? no bow season in sept.... lol

A lot of ranches try roflmao
..... all i ever hear, especially w/ MLD, is "we didn't kill enough"... or hey can you come help we need XXX killed this weekend. of our 25 lease hunter there are 2-4 guys that will use opening weekend to harvest there does. I have begged pleaded and threatened, to try and get the doe kill right off the bat.... but it never happens

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: 909ag2006] #7510939 05/13/19 02:33 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Sept bow season would be cool though.

Just switch to have to kill x number of does before you can kill a buck. I hate sitting to kill does in Jan. Buck are back dominating feeders then. Safari style with road feeders always works but much different “style” for doe control

Re: TPWD Paper on Spikes [Re: AmoCuernos] #7511015 05/13/19 04:24 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by AmoCuernos
? anyone change their mind in the last 5 years?

Kind of yes. I never did try to shoot all spikes, but after several years of including a decent number of spike harvest in our total harvest, it seemed like we didn't have as many bucks as I hoped/thought we should have. Try to shoot more does and if I shoot spikes I try to pick out bigger ones. I have shot 2 or 3 spikes since we have hunted our place that were over 130 lbs, they fall right in line with the typical size/weight/appearance of our 2.5 YO deer and at 2.5 im shooting a slick spike.

It's hell eatin em live
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide