Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant #7510786 05/13/19 11:31 AM
M
magspa Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Being a lefty, I was happy for my 6 year old son to be right handed and not having to worry about the things us south-paws do with firearms being made for right-handed people. Yesterday I started teaching him safety, trigger control, body mechanics, etc.. since I was sighting in a new scope on my AR at the lease. No live firing, just dry-firing snap caps. As of now he's been shooting a youth recurve pretty well. No sights of course so I didn't notice the eye dominance problem. With the rifle in a tripod saddle I set him up In a kneeling position right handed and noticed he was putting his face across the stock the look through the scope with his left eye. So had him do that test where you make a small diamond with your hands and bring it towards your nose but it looked pretty centered on his nose. He said he cant close his left eye and only open is right but he can do it the opposite way. Couldn't get a clear picture through scope with right eye. When I switched him to lefthanded form he said he was able to get a nice clear picture through scope. I would like him to learn how to shoot with both eyes open eventually but that takes some training that he can eventually learn. But anyways I'm assuming it will be best for him to shoot left-handed due to the eye dominance. Do yal agree with this? I ordered a Ruger RPR rimfire 17HMR that he will start shooting with once I feel comfortable with his safety and everything else.

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510801 05/13/19 12:12 PM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Following.........my grandson is cross eye dominate.

Make America Great Again

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510802 05/13/19 12:13 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Shoot with the dominant eye.

You can make the arms, legs, hands, feet do anything. You can't force the eyes to focus.

Left hand bows, and left hand bolt action rifles are out there. Sometimes there is a wait, sometimes not. I do not buy anything else that is built for lefties. AR's and shotguns I might have an advantage. Semi-auto pistols are not a problem at all.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510815 05/13/19 12:29 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Right handed left eye dominant here. From personal experience I would start him left handed with a rifle and never look back. I never shot left handed until later in life and could never get comfortable behind a rifle or hit anything until I switched. I am now a very competent shooter until buck fever hits me. I’ve competed to 1000 and even won one match. If you start him left hand he will never have to deal with it being awkward switching later.

Surprisingly this also showed its face batting in little league. Couldn’t hit the ball at all until the coach made me bat left handed. After that I did pretty good but never had the power I wanted behind it.

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510828 05/13/19 12:46 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Jason and wp75169, Great advice. I had to do this with my daughter and now a lady friend, FRIEND !!!

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: J.G.] #7510835 05/13/19 12:51 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

You can make the arms, legs, hands, feet do anything. You can't force the eyes to focus.

Left hand bows, and left hand bolt action rifles are out there. Sometimes there is a wait, sometimes not. I do not buy anything else that is built for lefties. AR's and shotguns I might have an advantage. Semi-auto pistols are not a problem at all.

Dated a girl years ago who tried to take up sporting clays. It's similar to golf in my industry. She had this issue so I asked around to all sorts of sources and this is basically what i was told too. This one goof ball I used to work with was a good ole boy from A&M. Right handed writer that shot clays left handed and he was good too. Not surprisingly, he did well when we went duck and dove hunting. Also an average to good rifle shot too. He did all this for years mostly with right handed guns.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: J.G.] #7510841 05/13/19 01:02 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I agree with this^^^.

My wife is left handed and left eye dominant. She refuses to shoot left handed and her shooting shows it. Takes her forever to get on target and struggles with consistency, but nothing I can do makes her shoot with the left eye.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510883 05/13/19 01:37 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Get him a lever action rifle Works the same from either side...

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510891 05/13/19 01:43 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I'm cross dominant (left eye, right hand) and I was started out shooting shotgun and rifle left handed -- now right handed feels weird. Honestly, shotgun and rifle are easy to be cross dominant at if you start someone out on it to begin with. I shoot both eyes open, left handed on ARs just fine, and there are certain advantages to having your strong arm/hand at the forestock since that is the hand carrying the weight. Changing mags is easier because I'm right handed, etc.

Being cross dominant doesn't ruin your chances on clays either -- I am "fairly" proficient and it seems natural to shoulder left, lead, and shoot without thinking about it. Also, I use right handed guns for almost everything so don't think that you have to buy LH rifles. That obviously changes on a compound bow though.

The area I have the most problem is pistol. It does not feel natural to shoot left handed, so I have a technique where I pull up in mostly isosceles, bring my right arm to my chin, and it positions the pistols sights perfectly to my left eye.

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510903 05/13/19 01:51 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I’m right handed and left eye dominate too

I’ve never practiced left handed but I know I should

It’s what I’ve always been told is to start shooting lefty

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510918 05/13/19 02:04 PM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I have to agree with most of the other posts about shooting the rifle with the dominant eye.

As a youth, I didn't even know I was left-eye dominant. The moment it really clicked was about age fourteen. My cousin and I were shooting a 10/22 at his dad's ranch. Like everything else between me and Cory, it soon turned into a competition. He was winning until we started shooting left-handed. We were talking about it with my uncle that evening and he suggested I was left-eye dominant. The next day, he accompanied us back to the shooting berm. From that day forward I've shot long guns left handed.

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510922 05/13/19 02:08 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Another right-handed, left eye dominant. Thank goodness dad noticed me crawling over the stock to see the scope when I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. 'Switched to shooting left handed and never looked back. I have RH, LH, and lever rifles; none throw me off that much.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510926 05/13/19 02:14 PM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
My son is 8 and started shooting a bb gun at 5. He does everything right handed but, like yours, was using his left eye so I let him shoot lefthanded. Now, he's a pretty good shot with a .22.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7510955 05/13/19 02:56 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I'm slightly left eye dominant but very physically right side dominant. I shoot right handed with no issues.

I would go with whichever dominance is more pronounced. If the eye dominance is really pronounced and physically less so, I'd go with that. If vice versa, then go with the physical dominance.

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: J.G.] #7510979 05/13/19 03:40 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

100%! My son is left handed but right eye dominant. I have him shooting right handed. He does fine with it with a little practice.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: patriot07] #7511017 05/13/19 04:25 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by patriot07
I'm slightly left eye dominant but very physically right side dominant. I shoot right handed with no issues.

I would go with whichever dominance is more pronounced. If the eye dominance is really pronounced and physically less so, I'd go with that. If vice versa, then go with the physical dominance.

The hands can learn, the eyes cannot.

I have forced myself to weld with both hands, swing a hammer with both hands, shoot with both hands, and even write with both hands. Injure your dominant hand and the other one is forced into unfamiliar territory. Eventually it becomes familiar.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7511111 05/13/19 06:11 PM
P
Precision_Shooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Have a friend who is left handed, right eye dominant. It was easier for him to switch to shooting right handed than it was for him to try to use his left eye. He is 35.
Teach your son to shoot left handed with his dominant eye.

I am right handed, right eye dominant, and can shoot with both eyes open. It took a while to train myself to do so, but I like it for long shooting sessions as I don’t get fatigued by trying to hold my left eye closed. Especially helpful when it’s windy and you’re watching wind flags. Can focus left eye on flags, then switch focus to right eye for shot.

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: J.G.] #7511114 05/13/19 06:12 PM
P
Precision_Shooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

I have forced myself to weld with both hands, swing a hammer with both hands, shoot with both hands, and even write with both hands. Injure your dominant hand and the other one is forced into unfamiliar territory. Eventually it becomes familiar.

I don’t agree with this. What do people do who lose their dominant eye? They learn to use the other eye.
As I stated previously, I can choose which eye to focus when shooting. No, it’s not easy to do or learn, but it can be done.

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: TLew] #7511128 05/13/19 06:27 PM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TLew

The area I have the most problem is pistol. It does not feel natural to shoot left handed, so I have a technique where I pull up in mostly isosceles, bring my right arm to my chin, and it positions the pistols sights perfectly to my left eye.

I do pretty much the same thing. Although I do practice with my weak hand a lot, I don't think I'll ever be as proficient shooting a handgun with my left hand as I am with my right hand. I'm just so much faster on followup shots with my right hand.

One reason that I feel blessed about right hand cross-dominance is that my strong hand is always free if I need to use my side arm.

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7511134 05/13/19 06:36 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I am also left eye dominant but shoot right handed. The eyes/brain can adapt. I shoot with scope and with sights no issue. You can teach your brain what to do and not the other way round. I have shot left handed but only as a needed basis. Strange thing though, In high school I killed everyone in ping pong right handed. I got bored and started playing left handed and got pretty good at it also. So I guess it can go either way, I just would not force the issue. It is supposed to be fun.

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: Precision_Shooter] #7511201 05/13/19 08:27 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Precision_Shooter

I don’t agree with this. What do people do who lose their dominant eye? They learn to use the other eye.
As I stated previously, I can choose which eye to focus when shooting. No, it’s not easy to do or learn, but it can be done.

Ok.

I can shoot just fine with my right eye, but it takes it longer to focus. People that lose a dominant eye do not gain strength in their non-dominant eye.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7511242 05/13/19 09:24 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Rifles it doesn't matter as much and even less when a scope is involved.

Shotguns/Pistols where you should shoot with both eyes opens it causes all kinds of issues. The advice above about making the transition to left handed will help significantly and the younger they are the easier that transition will be.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: magspa] #7511348 05/13/19 11:27 PM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I’m unsure from your post if it’s a dominance problem or just can’t close his left eye. However, the important thing to consider is that eye dominance is affected by age and at 6 his dominance may not have set in yet, (hence the test seeming to focus on his nose). I can’t quote exact %s but pretty sure males that are right handed are also right eyed well beyond 90% of the time....much less for females. Before making any real decisions you may want to visit the eye doc. P_102

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: P_102] #7511349 05/13/19 11:30 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Thump him in the forehead and force him to shoot rightie.

Re: Teaching son to shoot but cross eye dominant [Re: fadetoblack64] #7511387 05/14/19 12:12 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
As usual im somewhere between confused and ignorant but always hoping yall can help me out. Im right handed and left eye dominant and on scoped rifles have always just closed the off eye. I never dreamed I may be able to shoot better with the other eye. I understand there are situations where you want both eyes open. Just assume you close the off eye no matter what, would there still be a possible improvement in using the dominant eye. I would assume not but im no expert marksman nor eye doctor either one so im listening.... Mostly out of curiosity cause im too old to change and I shoot "good enuf."

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide