Print Thread
elk hunting question #7507771 05/09/19 12:38 AM
B
blindcowboy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Elk hunting has always been something I wanted to do and I have said for a while now that after I got a kidney transplant I wouldn't put it off any longer. I finally got my transplant last november and I'm not going to put it off so with that being said I could use some advice.

Out of the states where you can buy over the counter tags would anyone recommend any certain state? On top of that should I look at any area in whatever state I choose? Finally for someone who will be doing this unguided as a first timer any advice is more than welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7507781 05/09/19 12:46 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Your OTC options are CO and Idaho. I like Idaho better but it’s adds a whole extra day and a half of driving.
Once you decide where you want to toss a dart, call around and find a packer, have him/her number handy. But most of all just enjoy it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7508093 05/09/19 12:46 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
BOBO, for a public land/out west hunting idiot (me) what is a packer and how would you go about locating one?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: elk hunting question [Re: redchevy] #7508147 05/09/19 01:36 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by redchevy
BOBO, for a public land/out west hunting idiot (me) what is a packer and how would you go about locating one?

It’s a horseman that comes in with pack string and hauls out your elk for you.

In CO it’s best to call the local/closet processor, archery shop is another good place. I highly suggest getting multiple contacts and calling them before hand to get pricing and a texting(Inreach) contract option.

ID is a little different some of those outfitters have established areas so you have to specifically use them, but some do sub contract out under their guide license.

MT and WY I’m not up to date on packer laws but as over outfitter friendly WY, I image it’s similar to ID.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7508184 05/09/19 02:06 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
What is your budget and how important to you is it to actually see elk and have a chance at getting one? Are you looking for a trophy, any bull or will a cow do? Elk are something that a lot of people are out there hunting, and if there tag is easy to get, there are already too many people in that area. Elk cover a lot of ground and they are very good at hiding when there is a lot of pressure. If the land is easy to get to, and there are a lot of roads or ATV access, then avoid it like the plague!!!

I personally prefer to pay for a packer to provide horses to get as far into a Wilderness Area as possible,or wait until I get drawn for a limited area, or pay to hunt on private land.

This is from a Wilderness Area in Colorado

[Linked Image]

This is from a Wilderness Area in Idaho

[Linked Image]

This is from private land in Montana

[Linked Image]

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7508192 05/09/19 02:11 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I'll be doing an elk hunt this season in Oregon with OTC tags. It's for Roosevelt elk in the Coastal Range, a far different type of hunting than for Rocky Mountain elk.

Here is an article I ran across the other day about your question.
https://www.backcountrychronicles.com/western-states-over-the-counter-elk-tags-non-residents/

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7508213 05/09/19 02:37 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
You'll be hooked once you go, start buying PP in Wyoming this July for a little more less pressured hunt on public land up here. You'll need a couple of PP to draw a general tag in Wyoming.
Colorado has the most elk in the west but also the most hunters.

Packers are required to be licensed in most western states now, for sure Wyoming and Colorado.
Packing out an elk is not hard if you take it in the right place. We have never used horses to get one out in 32 years.

Cow tags are available in most states, In Wyoming some are reduced price so a cheaper elk hunt is out there just no antlers involved.

Hope the transplant went well and your health and quality of life is improved.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7508222 05/09/19 02:46 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
you can buy tags in Wyoming and hunt public land, I am going there next year

for a first timer, I suggest go with an outfitter - cost more but worth every penny.
You don't know what to do where to go.... paying a few extra grand for your first time
is worth the investment

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7508496 05/09/19 08:31 PM
B
blindcowboy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
To answer a couple of the questions, I'm not going to say a trophy wouldn't be nice, but I've never been a trophy first hunter. I would be fine with a cow.

My health is much better thank you for asking. It's amazing how good a working organ makes you feel.

Palehorse I read that artical as well and am thinking of buying his book. I figure the 10 dollar investment couldn't hurt.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: cabosandinh] #7508502 05/09/19 08:44 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted by cabosandinh
you can buy tags in Wyoming and hunt public land, I am going there next year

for a first timer, I suggest go with an outfitter - cost more but worth every penny.
You don't know what to do where to go.... paying a few extra grand for your first time
is worth the investment

All the tags in Wyoming are a draw but some may be available in the leftover draw in June. Colorado has landowner tags as well as the draw.
We have elk all over and populations are high right now and doing great. A general tag in almost any general area should get you at least into elk even on a first trip.
Western Wyoming has grizzly bears , but not in every area.
If you can read deer sign you can figure out elk sign.

Additional cow tags in Wyoming are a random draw , no PP. Type 4 cow tags are regular price and may be much easier to draw in LQ areas than additional cow tags. Some cow seasons open in Aug and run unitl Jan 31.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7508762 05/10/19 03:20 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by redchevy

It’s a horseman that comes in with pack string and hauls out your elk for you.

In CO it’s best to call the local/closet processor, archery shop is another good place. I highly suggest getting multiple contacts and calling them before hand to get pricing and a texting(Inreach) contract option.

ID is a little different some of those outfitters have established areas so you have to specifically use them, but some do sub contract out under their guide license.

MT and WY I’m not up to date on packer laws but as over outfitter friendly WY, I image it’s similar to ID.

I've been thinking of a DIY elk hunt for some time. Only thing holding me back is my shape. Its round instead of in (inshape).

I don't know how many web sites, videos, and books I've read on the subject of ELK hunting.

The biggest thing I've not been able to get a solid answer on has been finding a Packer.

What you just wrote is worth gold IMO.

For some time I've been looking at the Mystery Ranch Met-calf backpack for its meat hauler capability. But at the end of the day, I'd rather spend the money on having a Packer come help and get my meat on ICE.

LOL of course that is some positive thinking that I'd get one on my first time out. Rookie luck!

[Linked Image]
Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7509024 05/10/19 02:45 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I will say if you're hunting during Oct or later it will be plenty cool enough in the mountains, no need for ice.. Just get the meat off the animal and up off the ground, hang it in a tree in the shade.
Every camp site that has been used in the past will have a meat pole strung up between tow trees. Air circulation around the meat will cool it nicely.
A good pack frame is needed but not an expensive one necessarily. Make sure it fits your body.

The guys on here have way more experience in Colorado and NM than I do, so I would certainly listen to their advise.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: Wytex] #7509030 05/10/19 02:52 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Wytex
I will say if you're hunting during Oct or later it will be plenty cool enough in the mountains, no need for ice.. Just get the meat off the animal and up off the ground, hang it in a tree in the shade.
Every camp site that has been used in the past will have a meat pole strung up between tow trees. Air circulation around the meat will cool it nicely.
A good pack frame is needed but not an expensive one necessarily. Make sure it fits your body.

The guys on here have way more experience in Colorado and NM than I do, so I would certainly listen to their advise.

It’s pretty similar at altitude in CO and NM even in September. Get that hide off, hanging in the shade, with airflow it will last a lot longer then one thinks.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7509045 05/10/19 03:07 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I do the Colorado otc tag. Been 3 times going again this fall, been close several times had rag horns that did not meet antler restrictions into 10 yards had wall hangers within 60 several times.

You're making the right choice on not putting it off but warning you're gonna.get hooked.

Check out rokslide plethora of information there. Tins of YouTube stuff gritty bowman tons of good basics on equipment etc. But don't let the sticker prices stump you. Clothes wise just avoid cotton. Don't skimp on boots or bags. Everything else there is a happy medium.

Lastly when people I know inquire about going I tell them this. If you're simply wanting success and a wall trophy pay for a guide and get it done. But if waking up in the mountains and wondering how many people have seen the exact view you're taking in seems like a great time, load up and go. If that second part is you, note your gonna wake up smelling like a goat sore tired and mentally beat down.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7509047 05/10/19 03:14 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
If you're going for your first time, I would not advise going alone. If the cost of hiring a guide is prohibitive, look to find an experienced partner to hunt with. There are too many things that you won't know if you go solo your first time. The odds of you seeing elk will increase if you're with someone experienced. In general, the further you get away from other people, roads, and camps, the more likely you are to find elk. Get in shape, buy good boots and gear, have excellent optics, and practice long range shooting.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7509158 05/10/19 05:50 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Looking back on several hunts in Colorado, spend the money and go with a reputable outfitter. In the long run it will be more cost effective and enjoyable. If possible find a guide that does 2 hunters for 1 guide to lower costs significantly. Most will pair you with someone if need be.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7509188 05/10/19 06:28 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
All that wander are not lost,

The elk is only the cherry on the sundae. Just go and do it. Wether guided, unguided, along, group, wandering, or defined D day war plan etc.. take all of it in, and Enjoy every second of it.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7509206 05/10/19 07:02 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
There's no better rest than camping at 9K+ without cell signal and unplugging from the world for a week!

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7509550 05/11/19 11:45 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Better start exercising now. Think you’re in shape? Maybe and maybe not.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7509642 05/11/19 02:19 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
You might find a drop camp outfitter for a small group if you want a pack string in camp and help but not guided.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7509657 05/11/19 02:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BarneyWho
There's no better rest than camping at 9K+ without cell signal and unplugging from the world for a week!

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
All that wander are not lost,

The elk is only the cherry on the sundae. Just go and do it. Wether guided, unguided, along, group, wandering, or defined D day war plan etc.. take all of it in, and Enjoy every second of it.

I’ve found that when you are up in the Colorado high country, you really don’t care if you kill an elk or not. You would like to, but it’s certainly not gonna burn you up if you don’t.

It’s some amazing country, that has a feel that is unique and spectacular that’s all it’s own.

My favorite time to go there is in September, as late October hunts can get a mite chilly and the odds of snow are likely

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7509666 05/11/19 03:13 PM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
The potential downside to hunting a new species for the first time, especially out of state, is that it can turn into a somewhat expensive camping trip (which may or may not be an issue).

Since you have not hunted elk before, I would strongly recommend going with an outfitter. Look at the cost as part hunting and part expedited learning. You can learn more in one week with an experienced guide that several years of attempts of DIY.

From a cow elk perspective, you can also do guided landowner tags in NM. Typically less expensive than chasing bulls, still get to learn about how to hunt elk in general, get to see gorgeous country, pretty good odds of success, etc.

Re: elk hunting question [Re: blindcowboy] #7509680 05/11/19 03:36 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Blindcowboy, I am going to send you a PM with some information and a contact number that you may want to call. Daniel

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide