Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Beavers.. [Re: fishdfly] #7501730 05/01/19 09:50 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by fishdfly
"I fell your pain. I have a 3 acre pond near Fairfield Tx. and they keep putting mud with sticks on the spillway and I have to bust a opening through it. They keeping borrowing tunnels in my dam. The tunnels made the dam break after spring rains 10 years ago and I lost many fish. I had the dam repaired and the pond restocked and they just build more tunnels in the dam and around the shore.I have killed many beavers over the years just to have more come back. I have made Crappie condos out of pvc, wood, and bamboo and place them in the pond. The beavers use the material from the condos to add to the 2 huts they have built.
Good luck getting rid of them!"

Why do folks pound their heads against trees, beavers do not?

In the spring beavers have little beavers and raise them. After the little beavers are raised their parents run them off, called the empty stage of life. The run off beavers go in search of a new home. That is where they come from if you are wondering.

As I pointed out above, call your local County Extension Agent, he can put you in touch with the county trapper or Federal Trapper in the area. If you have beavers, so do your neighbors, ban together and have a licensed trapper remove them all.

Seems really simple to me and it works The trapper can remove coyotes while he is there. The price he charges is zero (0).

I have the same problem with our place in Anderson County. I just sent the local Extension Agent an email. Will let yall know how it works out.

Re: Beavers.. [Re: fishdfly] #7501926 05/02/19 12:49 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by fishdfly

Seems really simple to me and it works The trapper can remove coyotes while he is there. The price he charges is zero (0).
Easier said than done. Our place in Panola Co is covered with the bastages. Still haven't been able to get a trapper out yet.

Re: Beavers.. [Re: kagomez85] #7503989 05/04/19 01:19 PM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
It’s amazing to me that in the 1820’s they trapped out beaver in the entire western North America but we can’t get them off our piece of land.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Beavers.. [Re: kagomez85] #7504020 05/04/19 01:59 PM
T
Top Jimmy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Get a pro to do it, and they will get them all. Folks trying to shoot them, or trap them when not knowing how to, will just educate them. Then it will take a pro and a lot of time to get rid of them.

Done right the first time, they are not that hard to trap them all out.

-TJ

Last edited by Top Jimmy; 05/04/19 02:00 PM.

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Re: Beavers.. [Re: Top Jimmy] #7504050 05/04/19 02:49 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Folks trying to shoot them, or trap them when not knowing how to, will just educate them.
-TJ

Interesting on educating beaver by shooting them. I had not noticed this when shooting them. Of course, I shoot them at night when they are most active.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Beavers.. [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7504771 05/05/19 04:32 PM
T
Top Jimmy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Folks trying to shoot them, or trap them when not knowing how to, will just educate them.
-TJ

Interesting on educating beaver by shooting them. I had not noticed this when shooting them. Of course, I shoot them at night when they are most active.

Because of how they lay in the water, you don't always kill them. And you won't get them all at one time. It just takes one to get away, or see another get shot, and they quickly learn not to make themselves open to being shot again. I have trapped a few that have been shot and lived, including one with a 22 in it. If you think you can eradicate an entire lodge by shooting them, then go for it. Let us know how that works out and how many nights it took.

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Re: Beavers.. [Re: kagomez85] #7504822 05/05/19 06:19 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I second the idea of contacting your county agent. You want a nuance or animal control type trapper. They are different than fur trappers and go about the job differently. Try the website, Sullivan's line (He writes for Fur-Fish-Game Magazine). He does a lot of animal control, primarily beavers and you have to clean out the whole colony.

Re: Beavers.. [Re: Top Jimmy] #7505064 05/05/19 11:01 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
-TJ

Because of how they lay in the water, you don't always kill them. And you won't get them all at one time. It just takes one to get away, or see another get shot, and they quickly learn not to make themselves open to being shot again. I have trapped a few that have been shot and lived, including one with a 22 in it. If you think you can eradicate an entire lodge by shooting them, then go for it. Let us know how that works out and how many nights it took.

-TJ

LOL, more often than not, I head shoot the beaver when they are in the water. They generally don't recover from that, especially when you see pieces fly off of their head and splatter in different locations in the water. Yep, have finished off colonies twice in single nights. In this first video, the owner had shot two and I finished off the last three. The day after I was there, the owner broke open the dam and the beaver never repaired it again and no activity has occurred.

In this second video, the owner has had in trappers and shooters previously. Every other year or so he has to bring somebody in because beaver reinfest the tank. I went back for a follow-up visit and saw none and the landowner reports now new activity damning his drain...

I am currently hunting a 10 acre lake that is a challenge. It has multiple dens in banks (no lodges identified) on it, at least one of which is on the neighbor's portion of the lake that can't be hunted. The biggest complain I have had hear is when the owner's grandkids come and hunt and they take the boat out and discover beaver bodies floating in the water.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Beavers.. [Re: kagomez85] #7507216 05/08/19 02:21 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I think if you are an animal control trapper you start out with traps far from the den and then work in closer. It is a different approach.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide