texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
INC91TX, Coby, Iamgoo78, Duckhuntermann, Raven7
65766 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 94,312
bill oxner 57,390
stxranchman 55,166
SnakeWrangler 47,040
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,436
BMD 41,029
Big Orn 37,484
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics437,668
Posts6,351,283
Members65,766
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
AT&T U-Verse Customers #7506611 05/07/19 07:23 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 15,484
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 15,484
How many of you have purchased a back-up battery for your Arris modem/router? I've spoken to several people who have the service who were not even aware they were available. Having a battery in the modem will keep WiFi and U-Verse services up and running should the power go out . The batteries are available on Amazon for less than $15 and are very easy to install.

We only use U-Verse for Internet access. However, keeping it and the WiFi active during power outages has several advantages.


Dan,

Spring, Texas
Re: AT&T U-Verse Customers [Re: Texas Dan] #7506612 05/07/19 07:24 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,109
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
H
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,109
Every time I see it I think to my self maybe I should get the battery back up, but never have done it.

Link on amazon?

Re: AT&T U-Verse Customers [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7506620 05/07/19 07:36 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 15,484
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 15,484
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Every time I see it I think to my self maybe I should get the battery back up, but never have done it.

Link on amazon?


Depends on the Model No. of your Arris modem. My Arris NVG589 uses a 7.4 volt battery like the one at the link below. I suspect they're also available on Amazon.

A simple drop-in install after removing a door on the bottom of the unit.

I noticed someone posted a review that it only provided roughly 20 hours of backup power. Give me a break. Buy a generator if you need days of backup power.

Arris NVG589 Battery

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/07/19 07:44 PM.

Dan,

Spring, Texas
Re: AT&T U-Verse Customers [Re: Texas Dan] #7512396 05/15/19 02:03 AM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,626
nak Online Sleepy
Pro Tracker
Online Sleepy
Pro Tracker
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,626
Yea, I have it.

If you order home phone service, as part of your Uverse from them, they provide you a battery backup as part of your equipment. If you tell them you plan on using someone else VIOP, they may provide you one for free.

That battery provides about 2 hours for my router. Since I have other gear in that closet, I also have a big UPS. I probably have about 4 hours total.

I have not clue how much battery backup they have on their equipment down at the end of the street. I know we have been through 2 1/2 hours with no interruption in service.


NRA Lifer / Member TSRA
Re: AT&T U-Verse Customers [Re: nak] #7513365 05/16/19 12:45 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 15,484
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 15,484
Originally Posted by nak
If you order home phone service, as part of your Uverse from them, they provide you a battery backup as part of your equipment. If you tell them you plan on using someone else VIOP, they may provide you one for free.


Thanks for the reply.

I originally had both internet and phone service but was never offered a battery. I later dropped the phone service when I retired and no longer needed it for business reasons. It may have been something they began offering later or maybe I should have just asked for one. I can understand the link with phone service since old POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) lines powered basic telephones from the Central Office. But how many people today use a basic telephone in their home that doesn't require AC?

No question a backup battery for your router/modem can come in handy. And of course cell phones keep working fine during a power outage.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/16/19 12:49 PM.

Dan,

Spring, Texas
Re: AT&T U-Verse Customers [Re: Texas Dan] #7513442 05/16/19 02:21 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 18,935
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 18,935
I dint think I need a battery anymore.


"some people say I got a drinkin problem........I got no problem drinkin at all......."


Re: AT&T U-Verse Customers [Re: nak] #7513575 05/16/19 05:30 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,563
6
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,563
Originally Posted by nak
Yea, I have it.

If you order home phone service, as part of your Uverse from them, they provide you a battery backup as part of your equipment. If you tell them you plan on using someone else VIOP, they may provide you one for free.

That battery provides about 2 hours for my router. Since I have other gear in that closet, I also have a big UPS. I probably have about 4 hours total.

I have not clue how much battery backup they have on their equipment down at the end of the street. I know we have been through 2 1/2 hours with no interruption in service.


The back up batteries in telecom equipment cabinets can last 8-24 hours. Just depends on age of batteries and load.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3