Print Thread
Group power calling #7501791 05/01/19 10:54 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
For those who hunt with 2 or more people....do all call or is there just 1 guy who does most of the calling? I'm trying to get my buds to get half arse decent but usually its just me calling. I know from keeping up with the echo boys in Arkansas they like to have lots of callers going in the timber but wondering if that works in the central flyway (more open areas)

Re: Group power calling [Re: BDB] #7501888 05/02/19 12:06 AM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Half the time we only have one guy calling. When there is two it’s light chuckling and a few quacks. Rarely do we use a hail or greeting call, even then it’s a last ditch effort or trying to pull traffic from a ways off. IME, by the time they’ve made it here, they’ve had groups of guys with mondos wailing at them for thousands of miles. Use a whistle more than anything.

Re: Group power calling [Re: BDB] #7501934 05/02/19 01:05 AM
L
Lalo Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
L
Maybe guys who are not expert callers could use a whistle? That is unless you are on exclusively mallards.

Re: Group power calling [Re: BDB] #7501965 05/02/19 01:49 AM
W
woodduckhunter Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
W
most, close to all, of your hunting in texas is about being in the correct location. what you see people like the echo guys doing is mallards coming into the timber to loaf, but the flooded timber areas are thousands of acres and actually have large concentrations of mallards in places that make a lot of noise. So what they are doing is actually more realistic than you think.

Re: Group power calling [Re: woodduckhunter] #7505476 05/06/19 02:25 PM
T
takemking Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I rarely hunt anywhere in TX that sees high numbers of mallards. I'm mostly a coastal guy. That said, my mallard call usually only gets used to gain interest in birds from a long distance or as a last ditch effort to regain attention from birds that appear to be leaving. Mostly I'm using a grey duck call, whistle, or teal call and generally I'm the only one calling.

Re: Group power calling [Re: BDB] #7505824 05/06/19 08:44 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
If you want to practice for a duck calling contest go at it,

If you want to kill ducks less is more most of the time.

Re: Group power calling [Re: kdub] #7506411 05/07/19 03:25 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kdub
If you want to practice for a duck calling contest go at it,

If you want to kill ducks less is more most of the time.

Your last few words is why I started this thread. There are times that....I'm just common sense speculating here that groups that are GOOD callers can do some damage that single or be quiet hunters cannot. Take elk hunters...I know guys that kill the biggest and baddest elk in the mountains and they will not even have a cow call on them. They challenge mature bulls with bull calling. Go to strange turkey woods and turn loose a bunch of turkey hunters....giv'em 1 day to kill a bird and most who will kill will be the run & gun guys who are aggressive and good woodsman. I agree with your overall approach of less is more most times but I'm trying to maximize overall.

And the old saying is true Imo....great callers who know how to duck hunt are better than good duck hunters that cannot take there calling to another level. But scouting and getting on the x is critical up

Re: Group power calling [Re: BDB] #7506440 05/07/19 03:57 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I'm a big fan of really loud and aggressive group calling. Every time I've heard it, usually a couple hundred yards away, it means quick limits.

Re: Group power calling [Re: BDB] #7506470 05/07/19 04:40 PM
B
B Razorback Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I wouldn't necessary call it power calling having two callers running at the same time. My opinion is that most areas in Texas only require one caller and that calling less is more. By the time the ducks make it to the great state, they've been shot at for 1,000 miles. However, I think on a properly scouted hole you could "power call" a little. For example, we had scouted a hole in Abilene that was loaded in widgeons and gadwall. For some reason they weren't responding well to just wigeon whistles, so we incorporated another caller using a gadwall call and they ate it up. Give the ducks what they think they should be hearing.

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Group power calling [Re: BDB] #7506490 05/07/19 04:52 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
My experience is that using a call is more about timing and knowing how to use it. I don't consider myself a good caller but I have success using a call. Couple of my buddies that I hunt with regularly sound pretty close to competition callers, way better than myself, but at times they blow them out. Most of the time multiple callers is fine if they know what they are doing and work together as a unit.

Re: Group power calling [Re: BDB] #7506497 05/07/19 05:01 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It depends on the situation. Field hunting where a lot of birds are in the area and you are running a very large spread, to decoy large flights, it is beneficial. Quiet waters with a smallish spread where you are decoying small flights, less is often more...

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Group power calling [Re: LarryCopper] #7506537 05/07/19 05:53 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by LarryCopper
I'm a big fan of really loud and aggressive group calling. Every time I've heard it, usually a couple hundred yards away, it means quick limits.

Lol. Reminds me of a hunt in my walk-in days. I scouted the day before, found the X, had lots of pintail sitting on the mud bank, it was a year when water was low. I said that is were I’m setting up tomorrow, in my layout blind. That morning get to walk-in spot access point, no trucks good sign. Make the hike thru the woods, get to the lake, and started getting flashed, they must have come in by boat. They are 200 yards from the X, so no problem. So I keep walking, and they keep on flashing. I set up and put my pintail deeks right on the bank next to my layout, like I saw them the day before.... Man that was the ticket, I was covered up in pintails. These others guys, probably 4 of them in a big blind they made, they were power calling all morning long. It was great, I could lay in my blind, and I knew the ducks were coming because they would start calling, and the ducks would not go anywhere near those guys, but they were all over me.

I shot my 2 pintail limit, after that, all I could do is take pictures of them. Funny I would be laying in my blind, and I could hear them calling their arse off, I was just laying there sitting still, and imagining 4 of them all in the blind, bobbing up and down like a parrot calling, turning red in face, slobber flying out both sides of their mouth... the birds would land right next to me and the calling would stop lol. Below are some pics from that glorious morning...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Group power calling [Re: Guy] #7506546 05/07/19 06:01 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by LarryCopper

Lol. Reminds me of a hunt in my walk-in days. I scouted the day before, found the X, had lots of pintail sitting on the mud bank, it was a year when water was low. I said that is were I’m setting up tomorrow, in my layout blind. That morning get to walk-in spot access point, no trucks good sign. Make the hike thru the woods, get to the lake, and started getting flashed, they must have come in by boat. They are 200 yards from the X, so no problem. So I keep walking, and they keep on flashing. I set up and put my pintail deeks right on the bank next to my layout, like I saw them the day before.... Man that was the ticket, I was covered up in pintails. These others guys, probably 4 of them in a big blind they made, they were power calling all morning long. It was great, I could lay in my blind, and I knew the ducks were coming because they would start calling, and the ducks would not go anywhere near those guys, but they were all over me.

I shot my 2 pintail limit, after that, all I could do is take pictures of them. Funny I would be laying in my blind, and I could hear them calling their arse off, I was just laying there sitting still, and imagining 4 of them all in the blind, bobbing up and down like a parrot calling, turning red in face, slobber flying out both sides of their mouth... the birds would land right next to me and the calling would stop lol. Below are some pics from that glorious morning...

up cheers

Glad that somebody understood what I was saying. I don't have a dry sense of humor so I'm not very good at it.

Bonus for your story of getting covered up by my favorite bird! Great pics and story.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide