Print Thread
Protein Feed #7489722 04/17/19 02:49 PM
J
jumpnjohnfish Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
I have never used protein before. Can anybody recommend what feed to use?

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7489748 04/17/19 03:17 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Due to a high percentage of bucks with broken antlers last year I've switched to Lyssy & Eckel exclusively. It has some of the best ingredients for a mass produced feed is what I've been told.

I get mine at Simon Brother's in Roosevelt. $11.50 per bag as of last Friday

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7489759 04/17/19 03:24 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
There are a lot out there but I feed Purina AntlerMax. It seems to be readily available in most areas. I've been happy with the results in particular the weight my deer carry even from a younger age. My deer really looked healthy during last spring and summers drought. Note that if you haven't fed protein they won't just jump all over it. Try mixing corn in it and then gradually put less corn in each time. If your spring is wet and there is plenty of vegetation they probably won't hit the protein as much. They eat more on my place during the hot summer months and then again in the deep part of winter. I feed protein year around.

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7489787 04/17/19 03:57 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Lyssy & Eckel here too.

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7489823 04/17/19 04:19 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have fed Lyssy & Eckel since 2004. I fed Purina from 1990 thru 2003. Both are good feeds, the main difference is that L&E uses feeds based on your area and habitat protein values for your area that they have taken from samples over the past years. They make a great feed at a very good price. If you are getting feeds priced lower or higher it may be due to availability in your area. The key to look at when comparing feeds is the label....what is on the label is what makes one feed better than the other. One other thing to consider is how fresh the feed is you will buy. When starting deer on feed it is better to use fresh feed, days to a couple of weeks old. Not 6 months old. So it might be best to go with what your local feed store keeps in stocks and sells the MOST of. When putting out a feeder in an area where deer have never seen protein I would set up the feeder and only put a bag of corn in it first. When the corn is gone then mix one bag of corn and one bag of protein. When that is gone then decide how much protein to put in the feeder based off of how long it took to empty the feeder. I would never put more than 4-6 weeks supply of protein in a feeder till they are eating very well. Keep the feed fresh. Worst mistake made is to put up a feeder and fill it full of feed. Deer are not used to feed or new feeder location. Feed sits in the feeder and can get bugs in it or you could have moisture condensation build up on the underside of the lid( all feed is manufactured with some moisture in the pellet). That will then rain down on the top layer pellets and cause them to mold. When you have no consumption to move that top layer of feed it will clog the feeder up and ruin all the feed.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7489826 04/17/19 04:21 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I use Purina antlermax 20%, because it is readily available near by.

Check with the feed stores near your lease, they probably have a major brand or two they sell.
Antlermax 20.
Lyssy & Eckel 17 or 20.
Gorman/red chain 17 or 20.

Unless you're going to haul tons at a time and use it all at once or have a secure place to store it (bug & rodent proof) it isn't worth the cost & hassle of hauling any specific brand 60+ miles.

I wouldn't feed protein unless the feeder is inside a sturdy feed pen.

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7490193 04/17/19 10:33 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I use Gorman Milling's Red Chain. Like Lyssy & Eckel, it is not available everywhere though. I think those are the top two as far as bang for your buck goes. Antlermax and Record Rack are both good choices, They are typically more expensive though, because they shell out a lot of money advertising.

I buy in bulk and have it delivered into a grain bin. I feed a bunch of protein though, so that's the most economical and efficient option for me. Most people are going to buy bagged. If you buy bagged, be sure you have a dry, rodent proof place to store any excess. As stxranchman mentioned, protein does get stale, so look at the date on the bag. I have never had to personally mix corn with protein to get the deer started, but many people have had to do this as you can see from the comments, so I echo the other recommendations to start that way.

Once you get going, you will need to do your best to keep out the hogs, raccoons and livestock, if you have them, from getting to your feeders and wasting the protein. A feed pen with hog panels will eliminate most of your hog and livestock issues (goats excluded). Dog proof traps will help cut down on the raccoons.

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7490230 04/17/19 10:49 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Antlermax, get it at Russel Feed all around Ft Worth. About $12.99 for 50#

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Protein Feed [Re: Big_Ag] #7490763 04/18/19 02:58 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Big_Ag
I use Gorman Milling's Red Chain. Like Lyssy & Eckel, it is not available everywhere though. I think those are the top two as far as bang for your buck goes. Antlermax and Record Rack are both good choices, They are typically more expensive though, because they shell out a lot of money advertising.

I buy in bulk and have it delivered into a grain bin. I feed a bunch of protein though, so that's the most economical and efficient option for me. Most people are going to buy bagged. If you buy bagged, be sure you have a dry, rodent proof place to store any excess. As stxranchman mentioned, protein does get stale, so look at the date on the bag. I have never had to personally mix corn with protein to get the deer started, but many people have had to do this as you can see from the comments, so I echo the other recommendations to start that way.

Once you get going, you will need to do your best to keep out the hogs, raccoons and livestock, if you have them, from getting to your feeders and wasting the protein. A feed pen with hog panels will eliminate most of your hog and livestock issues (goats excluded). Dog proof traps will help cut down on the raccoons.

^^^this^^^ We use the same protein. We buy in bags but that is super convenient for us now that they have opened the Stephenville location. We're about 20 minutes from the lease gate to that location. Just call a week ahead so they can get what you need delivered from the Gorman location. x2 on the dog proof traps for coons. We took out about a dozen 2 weekends ago.

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7490892 04/18/19 05:05 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L&E here.

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7493146 04/21/19 04:46 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Unless Red Chain changed their formula that stuff didn't do my antlers any good. It sure put on body weight though. I fed it for about 9 years trying to get some antler mass and it didn't help at all. Went to L&E and noticed a difference in a couple of years. Now I'm feeding Record Rack and it seems to be doing fine also. My L&E dealer went way up on the price is why I went to Record Rack.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Protein Feed [Re: Stompy] #7494190 04/22/19 08:41 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Stompy
Unless Red Chain changed their formula that stuff didn't do my antlers any good. It sure put on body weight though. I fed it for about 9 years trying to get some antler mass and it didn't help at all. Went to L&E and noticed a difference in a couple of years. Now I'm feeding Record Rack and it seems to be doing fine also. My L&E dealer went way up on the price is why I went to Record Rack.

We're on year 2 so I cannot say what the longer term impact might be. How long ago did you use it? Was it the Chain Reaction / Buck Creek versions that they offer now? Just curious.

Last edited by soonersorlaters; 04/22/19 08:41 PM.
Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7494370 04/23/19 12:49 AM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It was not Chain Reaction. I fed it from 2001 till about 2010.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7494375 04/23/19 12:52 AM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The Buck Creek version does not have the vitamins and minerals that the Chain Reaction pellets have. Here’s a 5.5 year old that was fed Chain Reaction pellets the last four years. I’ve been very pleased with the results. [Linked Image]

Re: Protein Feed [Re: Big_Ag] #7494704 04/23/19 02:20 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Big_Ag
The Buck Creek version does not have the vitamins and minerals that the Chain Reaction pellets have. Here’s a 5.5 year old that was fed Chain Reaction pellets the last four years. I’ve been very pleased with the results. [Linked Image]

Buck Creek pellets have the same vitamins and minerals as the Chain Reaction, just in a lower concentration, but I hear what you're saying.

"We created the Buck Creek Deer Pellet for those who hunt in low fence places where the deer freely roam and are "co-op fed" by the neighbors/pastures and do not need the higher level of extras found in our 17% and 20% Chain Reaction Deer Pellets. The major ingredients in the Buck Creek Deer Pellets are very similar to our 17% and 20% Chain Reaction Deer Pellets but less fortified in the vitamins/minerals/PhytoRM supplement package. This allows the Buck Creek Deer Pellets to be more affordable and still provide great nutritional value to the low fence hunter. "

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7495254 04/24/19 02:26 AM
D
Daddybigbuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
L&E here as well.

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7502218 05/02/19 01:47 PM
O
Okie Newton Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I also use antler max, I think it has helped. Took a couple of years to tell the difference. Darker horns, slicker hair.

Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7502726 05/02/19 11:04 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
my advice (for what it is worth) is that the only way paying for protein will show any results is if you are:

On a place big enough where the deer are pretty much just on your property. For example if you are on a 100 acre place feeding protein but everyone else around you is not then most likely the protein will have zero effect. Why? Because your neighbors probably will kill anything with horns before the deer get a chance to mature.

If you are not providing free choice - giving them just a little bit of protein is useless. They have to have it available 24-7 and all they want to eat.

If your other management components are not in place - the right deer per acre, the proper doe to buck ratio, etc.

If you (and anyone else hunting the property) are not totally patient enough to let bucks mature.

Bottom line - Protein is a Supplemental Feed - it boost the deer up during drought. In wet years the deer will have plenty to browse on naturally.

So the brand of protein in most case is not as important as what is your situation on the property you are hunting?

I just hate to see folks spend their good money on supplemental feed if the conditions are not right for it to really have any impact on your results - just my opinion

You can't fix stupid
Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7503170 05/03/19 01:48 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
While I agree with the points above. Protein isn't bad for the deer wont hurt the deer and is a good attractant. Our place is small, the deer come and go, and it would be impossible for us to maintain a certain population or ratio for several reason, lack of tags, and being smallish low fence you don't control what you have and what you don't, shoot them too much and they all leave, shoot a few and they fill back in from elsewhere etc.

Feeding wont hurt, and it has helped us get through some skinny times with deer in great condition, just don't expect to put it out and have mega bucks at the drop of a hat.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Protein Feed [Re: jumpnjohnfish] #7503349 05/03/19 05:00 PM
L
LE59 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Supplemental protein feeding at any level regardless of the property size is more beneficial than not. The doe herd will consistently homestead where the groceries are good and they are not being consistently harassed by dogs, yotes, people and hogs. Been feeding two properties for ~25 years (2300 acres and 1500 acres low fence) and buck and doe health doesn't even compare to when we first started our programs.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide