Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7502177 05/02/19 01:00 PM
G
GunsUp18 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
So last night I test drove a V6 Canyon, the new Ranger and and F150 2.7L V6 Ecoboost.

Canyon, felt really nice in the driver and passenger seats, my only concert is the back seat was somewhat tight for me, but I'm 5'1'' 250, most of my passengers back there will be kids and on occasion some of my friends who are about the same size as me. Overall I really liked the truck and price, only drawback is the backseat.

Ranger aslo drove nicely, felt about the same as the Canyon, back seat had a little bit more room, just don't like the looks as much as the Canyon and they were asking about 5K more with fewer features than the Canyon.

F-150 was the first time driving one without a V8, had all the room I wanted and the get up and go was there. I have little knowledge of these new 2.7L V6 Ecoboost are they legit? With the gas mileage they are getting I may wind up with another F-150 but that negates all the reasons why I was looking at a mid size in the first place.

Follow my BBQ Adventures on Instagram and YouTube! @mikebowerstv
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7502190 05/02/19 01:17 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
With the ecoboost if you use the "get up and go" you loose the fuel economy.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7502227 05/02/19 01:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
i read the test in Motor Trend at the doctors office confused2

He’s right.... do a little research.

Toyota builds great vehicles.... the quality of vehicles has gone up and the Tacoma has been passed by most of the other vehicles in its class. I am NOT saying Tacoma’s quality has gone down..... everyone else’s has gone up.

Jeeps been out a month
Ranger less then a year
Colorado 2.5 years.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7502256 05/02/19 02:15 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

Toyota builds great vehicles.... the quality of vehicles has gone up and the Tacoma has been passed by most of the other vehicles in its class. I am NOT saying Tacoma’s quality has gone down..... everyone else’s has gone up.

Plus, I NEVER said I didnt like the TOYO, its just been passed by in technology by the others

you Tacoma owners are as sensitive as Tikka and Clock owners, HUMMMMMM, do I see a trend???? popcorn

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 05/02/19 02:15 PM.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: GMC Canyon [Re: Buzzsaw] #7502342 05/02/19 03:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Plus, I NEVER said I didnt like the TOYO, its just been passed by in technology by the others

you Tacoma owners are as sensitive as Tikka and Clock owners, HUMMMMMM, do I see a trend???? popcorn

I own f250, buying my niece a truck so by research I actually drove and by technology I actually compared... a computer screens and underpowered diesel option

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7502353 05/02/19 03:45 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
You saying the canyon/Colorado diesel is under powered?

To me the diesel option light duties are not a performance/power option, its an economy option. Many have called the ecodiesel underpowered and by all means it is low on HP and a very slow vehicle if you don't wind it up. That said I get the same or better mileage towing a 24 foot bay boat or TT as most other gas pickups do empty and almost or double empty what they get empty. Depending on wind, speed etc. I get a legit 14-17 towing and 28-32 empty. Race in spired they are not, but plenty functional.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7502369 05/02/19 03:59 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
We were updating my wife's 4Runner last year and went thru all the similar sized vehicles but with 3rd row seating, 4Runner was out because it has horrible seating for anyone over 5'7" tall in my opinion, I couldn't stand over a couple hours in the front seat in her 2012 with the seat all the way back. We got it down to the Toyota Highlander and Chevy Traverse (same chassis/drive line as Colorado). We ended up going with the Traverse and have been very well pleased. Towing capacity 5,000 lbs, consistently 24-26 mpg open highway, 18+ city, overall mileage to date of about 12k miles about 21.5 mpg. Plenty of interior room in front seats, middle row a bit cramped with front seats all the way back. Very comfortable ride and quick acceleration response with the v6. I am 6'3" and have no issues riding for 3.5+/- hours at a time (longest trip to date). I have a friend that has the Colorado and he loves it and he down sized from a Tundra ... even tows his tri-toon boat with it.

just be sure you get one with the towing package installed from the factory, as it comes with a receiver hitch and transmission cooler.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: PMK] #7502410 05/02/19 04:37 PM
G
GunsUp18 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by PMK
We were updating my wife's 4Runner last year and went thru all the similar sized vehicles but with 3rd row seating, 4Runner was out because it has horrible seating for anyone over 5'7" tall in my opinion, I couldn't stand over a couple hours in the front seat in her 2012 with the seat all the way back. We got it down to the Toyota Highlander and Chevy Traverse (same chassis/drive line as Colorado). We ended up going with the Traverse and have been very well pleased. Towing capacity 5,000 lbs, consistently 24-26 mpg open highway, 18+ city, overall mileage to date of about 12k miles about 21.5 mpg. Plenty of interior room in front seats, middle row a bit cramped with front seats all the way back. Very comfortable ride and quick acceleration response with the v6. I am 6'3" and have no issues riding for 3.5+/- hours at a time (longest trip to date). I have a friend that has the Colorado and he loves it and he down sized from a Tundra ... even tows his tri-toon boat with it.

just be sure you get one with the towing package installed from the factory, as it comes with a receiver hitch and transmission cooler.

Thanks for all the info!!

I may check out the Traverse as I may just drive the wife's current car as my commuter and get a family SUV for her and to use on the weekends. I just can't let go of the idea of not having a truck period. I know I could always rent one or a trailer in the rare cases I really need one. No telling what I decide on doing.

Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7502412 05/02/19 04:41 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
yep, I have a Cummins 2500 that sits most of the time that I use when needed, but we needed something for my wife and my only requirements were that I fit in the drivers seat and minimum towing capacity of 5000 lbs for "her" wake boat since a lot of the time when we head to the lake, we take her boat and I take my tractor to shred/work the roads.

~PMK~
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: PMK] #7502423 05/02/19 04:48 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by PMK
We got it down to the Toyota Highlander and Chevy Traverse (same chassis/drive line as Colorado)..

Other than the corporate 3.6L V6, the Traverse and the Canyon don't share any other architecture, especially chassis. Canyon is body on frame RWD/4WD platform, Traverse is unibody FWD/AWD platform.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7502429 05/02/19 04:59 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I stand corrected if that's the case ...

~PMK~
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: Buzzsaw] #7502530 05/02/19 07:02 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I’m not sensitive about Tacomas. I corrected your first post and asked questions about your second.

Tacomas have never been a leader in the technology department, but they have enough bells and whistles to be competitive. However, they’re built like tanks, run forever and hold their value.

If you want bells and whistles, they’re probably not the first option for some people, given their price. The newer small truck options offer a lot and have no doubt cut into the Tacoma’s lead in sales. Tacoma is still a badass truck.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7502565 05/02/19 07:46 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
A Ridgeline!?!? REALLY??

In reality I bet the biggest things the ridgeline misses on for MOST people's NEEDS are appearance and perception. If people would chuck their ego...

It's hell eatin em live
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: redchevy] #7502593 05/02/19 08:11 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by redchevy
A Ridgeline!?!? REALLY??

In reality I bet the biggest things the ridgeline misses on for MOST people's NEEDS are appearance and perception. If people would chuck their ego...

A Ridgeline is more than enough truck for at least two-thirds of half-ton buyers. I've had two and they've been great vehicles, just like my other Hondas. Drives/rides/parks like an Accord, tows enough, backseat is big enough for standard adults, trunk is a helluva feature. Yeah, particularly the first-gen is not good looking but neither am I and I can't see what it looks like while I'm driving it. MPG could be better but the DI V6 in the gen2 fixes that. I've driven in several ice-storms and the AWD system is amazing at torque-vectoring. Many people were in the ditch and I sailed along like a breeze.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7502631 05/02/19 08:50 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
All the reviews I have seen done on the ridgeline say it tows just as well as the other mid sizes and typically gets significantly better mileage. If you going to hard core off road, tow heavy, lift and put 35's to drive to the mall, etc. its probably not for you. When we replace my wifes crossover the ridgeline is on the shopping list.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7503081 05/03/19 12:28 PM
G
GunsUp18 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by GunsUp18
So last night I test drove a V6 Canyon, the new Ranger and and F150 2.7L V6 Ecoboost.

Canyon, felt really nice in the driver and passenger seats, my only concert is the back seat was somewhat tight for me, but I'm 5'1'' 250, most of my passengers back there will be kids and on occasion some of my friends who are about the same size as me. Overall I really liked the truck and price, only drawback is the backseat.

Ranger aslo drove nicely, felt about the same as the Canyon, back seat had a little bit more room, just don't like the looks as much as the Canyon and they were asking about 5K more with fewer features than the Canyon.

F-150 was the first time driving one without a V8, had all the room I wanted and the get up and go was there. I have little knowledge of these new 2.7L V6 Ecoboost are they legit? With the gas mileage they are getting I may wind up with another F-150 but that negates all the reasons why I was looking at a mid size in the first place.

Ha where is the edit button??? 5'11" not 5'1''. Still doesn't make the weight that much better

Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7503111 05/03/19 01:00 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

I Purchased a 2017 F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost a year and a half ago. The short answer is, yes. They are legit. I specifically looked for and bought one with 3.73 gears. Had to go to the dealer in Sherman to get it. I have done some things that degrade gas mileage (2 1/2" lift front, 1" lift rear, nitto ridge grappler tires), yet I still get a legit 19-20 MPG. In stock form I was getting 21. What is amazing to me, if you don't jackrabbit start, you can get the same mileage in the city. Sometimes, better than highway! Yes, if you are constantly in the turbo, you can get it all the way down to 15 or 16 MPG, but then you are just driving like a maniac.

For towing, it is more than sufficient. I don't tow much anymore (1800 mile out of the 37000 miles that I have put on it), but one of those trips was to Far NW Arkansas towing the boat for our family vacation. I had no issue keeping 80 MPH up steep mountain grades with still more power on tap. My old F150 was a 2004 with the 5.4 V8, and this 2.7 tows better IMO.

Re: GMC Canyon [Re: unclebubba] #7503236 05/03/19 03:00 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by unclebubba

I Purchased a 2017 F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost a year and a half ago. The short answer is, yes. They are legit. I specifically looked for and bought one with 3.73 gears. Had to go to the dealer in Sherman to get it. I have done some things that degrade gas mileage (2 1/2" lift front, 1" lift rear, nitto ridge grappler tires), yet I still get a legit 19-20 MPG. In stock form I was getting 21. What is amazing to me, if you don't jackrabbit start, you can get the same mileage in the city. Sometimes, better than highway! Yes, if you are constantly in the turbo, you can get it all the way down to 15 or 16 MPG, but then you are just driving like a maniac.

For towing, it is more than sufficient. I don't tow much anymore (1800 mile out of the 37000 miles that I have put on it), but one of those trips was to Far NW Arkansas towing the boat for our family vacation. I had no issue keeping 80 MPH up steep mountain grades with still more power on tap. My old F150 was a 2004 with the 5.4 V8, and this 2.7 tows better IMO.

A friend has a 2WD F150 with the 2.7. He went Lubbock-Colorado-Lubbock-Houston-Lubbock, about 2500 miles, thing averaged 24.6 mpg. It will be interesting to see if those motors hold up to the boost at 125-150k and beyond. Very impressive motor so far.

[Linked Image]

Re: GMC Canyon [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7503258 05/03/19 03:20 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by unclebubba

A friend has a 2WD F150 with the 2.7. He went Lubbock-Colorado-Lubbock-Houston-Lubbock, about 2500 miles, thing averaged 24.6 mpg. It will be interesting to see if those motors hold up to the boost at 125-150k and beyond. Very impressive motor so far.

Yes, mine is FX4. Plus I went with the lower gear ratio. Even with all that, there have been some trips that I have averaged 22-23 MPG. I could see a 2WD with the 3.55 gears easily averaging 24. So far, I have over 37K miles and have not had so much as a hic-up. I put 340,000 miles on my old truck, so I will find out how it holds up. I plan on keeping this one well past 150K.

Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7503268 05/03/19 03:27 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
If you can baby the boosted engines their fuel mileage will shine. Wind resistance increases really fast with relatively small increases in speed. If you can hold yourself back to 60 or 65 mph the economy will shine. I know its not fun but it does make a difference if fuel mileage matters to you. If you put the hammer down and drive like most people the fuel economy of the 2.7, 3.5, and 5.0 are largely the same.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: GunsUp18] #7503269 05/03/19 03:28 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I had the 3.5 EcoBoost with 373's and averaged around 14.7 MPG. 2.5" level in front and 33" AT tires. It did pull really well though, just wasn't happy with gas mileage. I didn't drive it hard either. Got a Raptor with the 6.2L and average 10.9 LOL IDK what my problem is. I just don't even care about MPG anymore just fill up when I need it.

[Linked Image]

Re: GMC Canyon [Re: KRoyal] #7503281 05/03/19 03:40 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by KRoyal
I didn't drive it hard either.

I think this is the biggest factor, your definition of not driving it hard is probably my definition of driving the ever living sh!+ out of it. My FIL had a 4x4 3.5 for several years. He never got more than 13-14 driving it back and forth to work. I got t-boned and totaled our vehicle and they had a spare so he lent it to me for a month or so till we bought another vehicle. I averaged 19-20 driving like I drive everything else.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: GMC Canyon [Re: redchevy] #7503296 05/03/19 03:53 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by KRoyal
I didn't drive it hard either.

I think this is the biggest factor, your definition of not driving it hard is probably my definition of driving the ever living sh!+ out of it. My FIL had a 4x4 3.5 for several years. He never got more than 13-14 driving it back and forth to work. I got t-boned and totaled our vehicle and they had a spare so he lent it to me for a month or so till we bought another vehicle. I averaged 19-20 driving like I drive everything else.

Wow, you must drive like a granny... I only get 21.4MPG in my daily driver Infiniti Q50S with the 3.7L V6 engine.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide