Re: Older Hunters [Re: Texas Dan] #7500211 04/30/19 03:25 AM
R
rjd Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by rjd
Coming up on 67. Still enjoy hunting, but don't have any hunting partners anymore - moved away or died, so just miss the enjoyment of sharing the experiences with somebody.

Today's technology has made it easier and safer for guys to hunt alone. And as a result, hunting alone is more common in today's world where folks can be more focused on trophies than building relationships.

Dan, I shot my largest buck three years ago hunting alone. While I will remember that hunt, I have had many hunts with family/friends where either nothing was taken, or we shot does (WY antelope hunts). Those hunts hold more memories for me than the large buck. Each is a trophy in my mind and I will always enjoy sharing hunts with others. JMO

Re: Older Hunters [Re: rjd] #7500837 04/30/19 11:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by rjd
Originally Posted by rjd
Coming up on 67. Still enjoy hunting, but don't have any hunting partners anymore - moved away or died, so just miss the enjoyment of sharing the experiences with somebody.

Today's technology has made it easier and safer for guys to hunt alone. And as a result, hunting alone is more common in today's world where folks can be more focused on trophies than building relationships.

Dan, I shot my largest buck three years ago hunting alone. While I will remember that hunt, I have had many hunts with family/friends where either nothing was taken, or we shot does (WY antelope hunts). Those hunts hold more memories for me than the large buck. Each is a trophy in my mind and I will always enjoy sharing hunts with others. JMO

Yes, there is something unique and special during that first instant when you tell a hunting partner that you just got one. And likewise, hearing that a partner just put a deer on the ground can be equally exciting, if not more so when it's a younger hunter. Just the anticipation of seeing a fellow hunter's kill can be a thrilling experience, not to mention their account of how it played out.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/30/19 11:37 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7501047 05/01/19 03:15 AM
P
pop r Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I'm 66 and still love to deer hunt. I have 100 acres in Fairfield Tx. that I hunt on. I have a knee replacement, sciatic nerve problem, AFIB, over weight, and back pain. I have a atv with a small trailer I use to retrieve my deer and take to my cleaning station. If I shoot a large hog I use my tractor with front end loader for retrieval . After I get the animal hung up I remove the hide and jut the animal. I then quarter the animal and chill the meat overnight. Next I debone all the meat and make summer sausage, steaks, ground, breakfast sausage, or links. When I was 64 I shot my biggest deer of my life. It took me many years to get a good one but I feel blessed now to have done it. This last year was my best ever deer season. I didn't kill a deer all season. But I saw more deer than I have ever seen in my life. Several times I had as many as 10 bucks at one time. I passed a 10 point and several nice 8 points all season. At my age I'm finding out it's not all about killing a deer each season but enjoying their beauty. If I'm able to hunt 3 or 4 more years that would be great if not I've have a great run.
Take care and God bless!

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7501143 05/01/19 11:21 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm not 70 yet but getting scary close, I don't seem to have the endurance I used to have butI haven't lost any strength. The working out seems to help in that department. Around 2 1/2 to 3 years ago I was getting damn close to benching 250 before my left elbow said it's time to back off, I cleared 240 one time. I can still put a un-gutted buck in the back of the truck and regularly feed out 50 lb bags of feed, throw it over the shoulder and take off walking. With that said I think most already see that I'm hunting less and taking more pictures. Them bucks ain't near as heavy sitting on a camera card as they are laying on the ground.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7501544 05/01/19 06:03 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Turn 53 this month. Back surgeries, left bad leg (walk with a severe limp due to spinal injury from wreck) I have more metal in my neck than most old barns. My body has wreaked havoc from two auto crashes and another "unfortunate incident".

I was in a crash a couple of weeks ago (rear ended) and my body is just not doing like it did in yrs past. Add spinal stenosis in the mix. my C2 and C3 levels with the metal screws pushing my spine causing a recent 20 percent paralyses to my left arm and 10 percent to my right arm.

I have ok days never great days. Life is grand and I keep on chugging. Some days I feel like I need to crawl but gotta pay the bills.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7501589 05/01/19 07:03 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Passed 63 not to long ago and still love it all, what I mean by it "all" is just exactly that just being out there with Momma Nature and all her splendors. I was never mad at the animals I hunt except Coyotes and Pigs everything else has and will be just another part of the adventure.
Enjoy the camaraderie of good like minded folks who want to have a good time without doing the stupid or illegal stuff.

Still in fairly good shape so no limitations on what I can do.

Last edited by Stub; 05/01/19 07:04 PM.

texas flag

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7502008 05/02/19 02:44 AM
L
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Almost 68.........Shoulder and back gets sore after carrying corn up the ladder...can't stay out in the hot summer sun as I use to do...Getting up more to pee at night but......Love my trips to the farm.....love to watch the grandkids...camera is a must...and...still always lookin for a bigger un.....................

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7502321 05/02/19 03:13 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
At 57 im surprised how well my body is holding up after years of bull riding and breaking horses. I do plan on switching to stand and fill feeders soon. Have a son and daughter that hunt and several nephews. Cant wait to be able to hunt with my three grandkids ages 2,3,4,. They have already been in stand many times and have killed many deer with their bb guns.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Mr. T.] #7502420 05/02/19 04:46 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by rjd

That is what is wrong with today's world. We have become more focused on the trophy than building life long friendships.

Or as pappy once said..

When ya huntsolo, your memories die with ya...

Hunting has become a Richmans Sport.... bang still got cheap posts, ain't worth 2cents bolt
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Older Hunters [Re: 1860.colt] #7502463 05/02/19 05:39 PM
F
fredgus Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
I to am 67 still doing it my wife laid some 8x10s of a buck I killed in mexico in 1979 every one involved is dead but me and I thought the memories are now mine alone

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7503606 05/03/19 09:44 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
My FIL turned 90 back in February. He and I still get out in the pasture near New Braunfels and whack n stack. Every year he says it's his last one. Been saying that for 20 years.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7503854 05/04/19 03:03 AM
T
tophorsecop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Enjoyed all the posts, keep 'em comin'...

My best older hunter story, I turned 59 in August of 2015, wife passed about 3 weeks before my birthday...I was a solo hunter with an outfitter on the Katy Prairie, and the first Wednesday of teal season I met up with 5 other guys in the parking area near Egypt. It was a pretty good spot, we all could shoot and there were 2 good dogs working, my 9 year old Raelette, and a younger yellow lab. Rae made some good retrieves and the younger dog found that there were enough birds for both to get plenty of work. During a lull we were talking and lying, like we all do. One guy brought up his knee replacement and how he wasn't quite as steady in waders as he had been, then a hip replacement came up, I mentioned my cataract surgery, then a squamous cell removal came up...I finally said " Wait, we all sound like a bunch of really old guys"...and I asked how old each of my blind mates were...the ages ranged from 77 to my 59...that's right at 59 I was again the youngest guy in the blind...that hadn't happened to me since I was 12 and my younger brother got to go out with my dad and grandpa and I...still makes me smile!

"Guns don't kill people, Guns kill dinner!"
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7504174 05/04/19 06:32 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers cool thread...

still think pappy said it best:

Hunting: What once twas the price of poormans food stamps has become a Richmans Sport...

its all about the big Buck$... just look at all d HF threads in open discussion... they get locked down... it was buck only when moved ta

texas in the county was 4 years, Smith Co. couldnt get a doe tag, not enough deer... got on a lease, less than $1.00 a day cause it had 24-7-365 hog hunts.. had no hog problems were was at... Was a family outing, we been taken kids camping since in diapers... Chance ta put food on d grill & freezer...
Leases kept going up, twas a Blessing when a WMA opened up down the road, affordable hunt for low-income... gave up leases,, price per # rofl twas cheaper ta hunt bargens at grocery store...
Did archery, deer&hogs, & the any legal means hog hunts 3 months, till health went bad, workmans comp twas a joke, laughed at made fun of, had ta quit archery but kept the hog hunting, helping with the rofl hog problem...
it went to a 4 deer county ? Could have taken 4 deer at place... kept going ta WMA archery, till shoulder went kaput, & helped with hog problem... Its now (hog problem) turned inta big buck$ ... got put on d ignorancelist by many cause of me posts... confused2 truely did get D- in grammer...
can b tough seperating bs from d rest of D crap...
how much Ya'll paying 4 price of hunting ? got Gov issued stamps, taxes, here, hmmm rofl jumble the letters texas... people here loosing places ta hunt 4 big buck$...

just my 2cents bang still got cheap posts.... Do miss the hog hunts at OSBWMA, it was best kept secret, even with dee's alien body parts would have been thar during the Jan-March hunts... tis not an execative hunt...
edit : tis sure some one can translate 4 those who what it... most just ignore... rofl i gotta b me, no one else wants the job... it dont pay much...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7504218 05/04/19 08:10 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I'm there. No problem getting up early and getting out but now a days the work of dragging a deer is a concern. Game cart essential. I recently took up doves. LOVE IT. Taste great, lots of shooting, just sit and wait. Easy to clean. No need for a dog.
Teaming up with a younger hunter on deer/hogs is a good idea. On the bow, might want to think that over. I "train" on an old 50 lb recurve and then start on the compound a month before the season.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Bbear] #7504268 05/04/19 09:34 PM
B
bigbill Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I’m 87. Still shoot trap skeet & sporting clays. Dove hunt most every day of the season. Was a taxidermist for the last 23 years. Killed all animals I care to. Use cart for clays & 4 wheeler for doves. Just enjoy and do it easy. Enjoy life.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7504938 05/05/19 09:22 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
In my early 60's and still like to hunt and fish. I retired last year and plan on hunting more mid week this year but it will be alone. We all know where each others stands are and use friend finder to locate someone if they don't come out on time. It may be time to get on a place where I can drive in and out instead of walking and dragging.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7504940 05/05/19 09:26 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I hope I am as going as good you guys in a few years. Some true outdoors-men/hunters on here.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Simple Searcher] #7505266 05/06/19 02:42 AM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Glad to see all these responses and know I'm not the only one! I live in Montana and hunted my butt off up here all my life, but the days of climbing the Rocky Mountains and personally hauling elk back down are over! I'm 66 and have the requisite amount of broken parts that don't wake up easy in the morning...and luckily I discovered warm weather hunting, Texas box blinds, and young fit Texas guides to do the hard part...I still hunt-alot- but its a LOT lower impact for me these days!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide