Print Thread
New to public land hunts #7499234 04/29/19 03:04 AM
W
Wreckt Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Let me preface this by saying I知 not begging for handouts or details of your favorite spots. What I知 hoping for is some insight related to resources and guidelines for successful public land hunts. I致e never hunted on public land but really want to dive into it this fall. I知 primarily after whitetail and hogs, but would welcome any medium to large game into my freezer. I知 based in dfw and hope to stay within a 300 mile range. Anyone have good experience hunting public lands, any tips? My game plan is skip opening weekend (I知 sure it値l be a mess) and hit it hard later that week or maybe even the second week during the week, not weekends. I知 open to camping and or hiking to get after the critters.

I値l put in for a few draw hunts, but won稚 cross my fingers. It just really dawned on me that as a Texan I should hunt public Texas land and that those deer are as much mine as anyone痴 else痴 in our great state assuming I put in the work to chase them.

Any tips, locations, websites, anything y誕ll feel like sharing would be a great help to a public land newbie. If you want to share stories or location of actual hunts I値l certainly welcome it. Thanks in advance, and I値l see ya in the field. I値l be the guy with the 30-06 and the temporarily empty freezer.

Re: New to public land hunts [Re: Wreckt] #7499255 04/29/19 03:42 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Look at the public hunt catalog for a list of all the WMA's in your desired area. Then look up all hunts offered, and see if they interest you. Put in for all you can afford, and cross your fingers hoping to get drawn. if you do get a permit, then start earlier, walk farther, and hunt later than every one else there. You will be successful. Having fun is the best part.

Re: New to public land hunts [Re: Wreckt] #7503578 05/03/19 09:18 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Have you already checked the TPWD Public Hunting Map?
http://tpwd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=c9788957300943559f7b49206e8ef153

Looks like you got a few options near DFW if you're focused on Deer & Hogs.

A few tips:
If you haven't already, get you Hunter's Ed Course done along with your license. Wardens will ask for it. They asked for mines when I was signing in for the draw hunt I had in January.
Remember that each public hunting ground has it's own set of rules.
Always wear your Orange, remember you're not the only one in the field.
Scout whenever you can.

I recommend downloading Onx maps on your phone so that you know where private property boundaries are, mark waypoints/tracks, etc.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: New to public land hunts [Re: Wreckt] #7504187 05/04/19 07:10 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
welcome ta public hunting...
Hunted OSBWMA it was archery deer-hogs for regular hunts, ever since it opened, had a deer lease, first years, seen few deer, some nice, did the hog only hunts...
Quit the high price leasing & kept the archery deer-hog &hog only hunts, kept plenty food on d grill... over years seen more deer, some realy nice ones if ya a rack hunter, & fewer hogs, but they were thar if ya did the leg work... Have had many threads bout OSBWMA... Archery only deer, is what helped deer come back... they have draw hunts, learn the area on hog only hunts, didnt ruin the archery hunts... Thar B some flooding...
Most WMA around your are 4 deer tis archery if not mistaken... Uncle SH & areas around south have the rifle deer hunts, several threads in here with some info...
Ya price of leasing was too Rich 4 this old boy... Would get 2nd opinion, not gonna hurt my feelings...
Have hunted several of the WMA's over the years, unit #120 was a great one 4 rifle deer, but its gone...
Best wish's...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: New to public land hunts [Re: Wreckt] #7504709 05/05/19 03:08 PM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

There is some great information on the second post on this site.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...ortunities-and-areas-in-texas#Post348583

My advise is to apply every year for draw hunts, buy the APH permit, then get out and explore.
I also apply in other states.

Re: New to public land hunts [Re: Wreckt] #7511146 05/13/19 06:56 PM
W
Wreckt Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Thanks all, good stuff

Re: New to public land hunts [Re: Wreckt] #7517892 05/22/19 09:05 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by Wreckt
Let me preface this by saying I知 not begging for handouts or details of your favorite spots. What I知 hoping for is some insight related to resources and guidelines for successful public land hunts. I致e never hunted on public land but really want to dive into it this fall. I知 primarily after whitetail and hogs, but would welcome any medium to large game into my freezer. I知 based in dfw and hope to stay within a 300 mile range. Anyone have good experience hunting public lands, any tips? My game plan is skip opening weekend (I知 sure it値l be a mess) and hit it hard later that week or maybe even the second week during the week, not weekends. I知 open to camping and or hiking to get after the critters.

I値l put in for a few draw hunts, but won稚 cross my fingers. It just really dawned on me that as a Texan I should hunt public Texas land and that those deer are as much mine as anyone痴 else痴 in our great state assuming I put in the work to chase them.

Any tips, locations, websites, anything y誕ll feel like sharing would be a great help to a public land newbie. If you want to share stories or location of actual hunts I値l certainly welcome it. Thanks in advance, and I値l see ya in the field. I値l be the guy with the 30-06 and the temporarily empty freezer.

cheers Reason twas a Blessing when a WMA opened up ta public hunting just down the road...
Seen the games being played on leases, while not born & raised in texas worked & lived thar 30+ years...
OSBWMA tis public, archery only deer... Hunted it when it opened, mainly 4 hogs, had place ta deer hunt..
Threw the years seen more deer & less hogs...
2cents Do the hog any legal means Jan-March, chance ta help out with (hog problem), & do some scouting for deer archery, or in your case, try 4 gun-deer draw... Happy hunting...

flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide