Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496737 04/25/19 06:56 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
57 here. Bad neck, back, arthritis, worms. You name it, I've got it. Still get out there and hump it. What else you gonna' do? Sit on the couch watching Oprah reruns? I'll probably die in a deer blind, a happy man.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Erathkid] #7496756 04/25/19 07:25 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Erathkid
57 here. Bad neck, back, arthritis, worms. You name it, I've got it. Still get out there and hump it. What else you gonna' do? Sit on the couch watching Oprah reruns? I'll probably die in a deer blind, a happy man.

In a deer blind is my second choice.

Scotch neat, on a regular basis, will take care of them worms.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Creekrunner] #7496883 04/25/19 09:22 PM
B
Boar Sight Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks to all those that responded and I did learn that I'm not the only one who has to split a 40lb bag of corn in order to fill a feeder, has more aches and pains than I can count and who still loves to hunt. Someone much smarter than me once said "the truly smart man is the one who knows what he doesn't know". I find myself learning every day how much I don't know....

Keep hunting and the best to you all!

Some people have such a toxic and rancid personality that even death doesn't want them!
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496916 04/25/19 09:45 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I am 77 still enjoy the outdoors very much Had a round with cancer and survived that. Two cornea transplants so vision is some better. Those 50 lb. bags of corn are heavier than they use to be. I can still go up the ladder with a bag on the shoulder but have been know to take a 5 gallon bucket along. Joint pains and walking in the pasture or to the stand is a bit more difficult than I like. Still most of the bad stuff goes away when you see that nice buck or look up at the sky to see that red tail hawk flying by. I don't plan on changing my activity, will just continue to enjoy. Thankful for the tail gate hoist as well.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496929 04/25/19 09:55 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I'm 'only' 60 but I'm starting to feel it. Can no longer pull a 60 lb bow back due to shoulder issues. Need to get my fat a** on a treadmill more often. I still go hunting by myself and still can load the deer in the bed of the truck. No hogs on the place (yet) but I'll take those when they do show up. Still fit enough to do some semi-mountainous hunts if/when I get drawn.
My Dad passed away 11 years ago. The fall that he passed away, we still went out dove hunting together just 3 months before he went. I have friends of mine that have stopped hunting all together or, just hunt from a stand watching a feeder.
Easter Sunday, I hunted and watched the sun come up. Then proceeded to hike some 3 miles around the property trying for an axis. I'll probably do it again before summer hits too hard.

I just hope I can still be out hunting when (and if) I do finally get 'old'. grin

I have an 'adopted' 9 year old grandson that has the 'fire' to go out any time he can. I'm glad I infused that into his system at an early age.

[Linked Image]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496950 04/25/19 10:16 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
some of ya'll make me feel young at 60 banana ... but I am definitely feeling some aches and pains following 2 back surgeries and 2 shot knees. I too took my dad hunting up until the end of deer season of 2003/2004 right before he passed (spring 2004) at 87 years old. I did 100% of the heavy lifting and chores like he did for me in my much younger years. He taught me old school tactics from a very young age when hunting was actually hard, no cush stands, feeders, heaters, etc. it was stalking or leaned up against a tree or on a couple of 2x6s in a tree. Times have changed and hunting has changed to some degree and I do enjoy those comforts. I still hunt by myself most of the time and tend to all the game I take. But I have also found that the deer have gotten much bigger bodies with better game management and letting them age to 5+ years old. On one of my current leases that is MLD3, I have found loading a fully mature buck (192 lbs) into the truck or RTV requires some help or engineering ingenuity, thank God for the hydraulic bed on the RTV. Hogs get a rope around their leg for the ride to camp or bone yard. I do plan on hunting as long as I am humanly able to do so and plan on helping teach our 4 grandchildren properly also.

My wife doesn't get how i can spend all day or weekend long out in the woods by myself and not kill anything ... I merely tell her that's why it's called hunting, not shooting. As someone else mentioned, I can sit for hours out in the woods enjoying what God has provided, seeing anything from birds, squirrels, bobcats, hogs, hawks, turkey, deer, etc. and that passes the time faster than I care for it to pass.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Older Hunters [Re: SapperTitan] #7497219 04/26/19 04:24 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
the greatest concern is older people who are stuck in their ways and aren’t willing to change because they are too close minded.

Closed-minded people usually have just one or two methods they follow to complete a given task. I can think of at least a dozen setups for killing deer that don't require feeders or bait. So who is really closed-minded when it comes to deer hunting, the one who follows one approach, or the one who knows and follows many?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7497336 04/26/19 01:01 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Texas Dan, Texas Dan, if you're looking for a purist then he's your man. He doesn't use corn, he won't use bait, he crawls on his belly and lies in wait.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: SapperTitan] #7497516 04/26/19 05:10 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Find a young hunter and take him under your wing. Teach him how to hunt and let him do the hard manual labor. One of my best friends is PitchforkPredator on this forum he isn’t a young buck but still very capable. I help fill feeders, fix blinds, move blinds and feeders around and all sorts of stuff. I get to shoot some hogs and coyotes from time to time but would help him out with anything if he ask. Some of the best friendships I have were made because of hunting.

cheers

Scott makes a good point......I am 58 and feel the same as I did when I was younger but am reminded now when I try to do what I used to I need to slow down and be more careful. I got dehydrated this summer working in the heat and passed out at the ranch. Luckily Scott was there with me if I would of needed help. I have made some great friendships with younger members of this forum by hunting with them. tdecker22 comes to mind as well met him on a bow hunt in Missouri he organized and we have been good friends for many years now and hunt together regularly. He's a young buck like Scott which keeps me younger lol. Scott and I met when I offered to take him hunting when he returned from Afghanistan. I look at age as just a number when I'm choosing who to spend time with......my wife and I go to rock concerts with our daughters and their friends because we enjoy their company and they ours. Music is alot like hunting IMO in that it bridges potential generation gaps that might exist otherwise....FME.

I have got in my mountain hunts already when I was younger and hope I still have a few in me. I'm fortunate I still have good health and take no meds. I will continue to hunt until I can't.....whatever age that ends up at.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7497595 04/26/19 06:41 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I am going to be 63 this summer and still enjoy hunting as much or more today than I ever have. Still enjoy both mule deer and whitetail hunting. I am lucky in that I can hunt and do hunt almost every day of the season. I am still just as serious about finding the buck that I like to shoot, but will take a camera with me every time I go hunting to photograph the wildlife/landscape. I enjoy the photography these days as much as the hunting side of any day I spend in the field. Like someone above posted about the heat and cold weather, it effects me also as I have gotten older. I still enjoy the colder weather much more than the heat though these days. I still hunt alone about 90% of the time also. When I was managing ranches I was outdoors working alone everyday of the week and learned how to safely do projects for that day without any help. I still practice safety first today when I am out working by assessing the project I am working on first. Then make a plan on the safest way to do the task Work smarter and not harder. I am hopeful that I can still enjoy working outdoors and hunting as much/long as my Dad did since he was still hunting at 87 years of age.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7497879 04/27/19 01:45 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Just read these again. Glad to know that it’s not just me. My Daughters and Wife say that, at 76, I need to realize my limitations. I tell them that the old man is sitting on my shoulder and I’m not going to either encourage him or even grow up and be an adult.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Older Hunters [Re: SapperTitan] #7498039 04/27/19 04:44 AM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Find a young hunter and take him under your wing. Teach him how to hunt and let him do the hard manual labor. One of my best friends is PitchforkPredator on this forum he isn’t a young buck but still very capable. I help fill feeders, fix blinds, move blinds and feeders around and all sorts of stuff. I get to shoot some hogs and coyotes from time to time but would help him out with anything if he ask. Some of the best friendships I have were made because of hunting.

That is exactly what I have been considering. I don't want to give keys to anyone and I don't want a crowd. But a single hunter with his wife or child could do some great hunting if they lived near me and were willing to go when I did. I'll talk to my wife and see what she thinks of the idea.

I'm 75 with arthritis in my thumbs and both knees. 11 years into a liver transplant. Only 8 years ago, I was climbing ladders with 50# bags of corn, but like some of you, I must divide it into buckets and use crank feeders or low platforms I can reach.

If I'm hunting alone, I have to shoot the deer with a camera but I don't care much about hogs. I can't lift much without help anymore, but I can maintain my hunting trailer and Ranger as long as it's simple stuff.

I don't want to give up my lease for two reasons: 1) I'm the only one on it and I enjoy the solitude of the country even if I'm not hunting and 2) It would be a hell of a lot of work to move two blinds and three feeders along with a trailer and UTV.

Hang in there fellow "old guys". The occasional outdoor jaunt beats a porch and rocking chair any day.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7498139 04/27/19 01:15 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Just a thought......but perhaps us "old guys" could meet for lunch or dinner sometime. Being a spring chicken myself, I'd be willing to travel to meet some of you old codgers. Dallas/Fw might be a good place. Its 200 miles from me, but what the heck. Just have to be on a weekend as I still work.
Again, just a thought. food

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7498169 04/27/19 02:18 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I'm in for that.

BTW, how many of you old goats are afflicted by CRS?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7498176 04/27/19 02:29 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I am 78, had nice set up to hunt 15 minutes from the house (two different spots) have had two back surgeries, 5 fusions that are defect, also barrettes esophagus, my shooting buddy died last year his heirs have sold the ranches so I lost a good friend and the hunting. Is hard for me to get around.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Dave Davidson] #7498186 04/27/19 02:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I'm in for that.

Guilty as charged.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Dave Davidson] #7498307 04/27/19 07:19 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I'm in for that.

I used to know what that stood for, but t I forgot. :-(

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7498377 04/27/19 09:12 PM
G
grizzlyman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I'll be 60 next month. Five years ago I was running around 50 miles a week. I walk with a cane a lot now. But I'm not giving up. My BIL (67) and I had a great season last year. Getting a hip replaced in a few months and hopefully will be healed up enough to hunt by November.

NRA Certified Rifle/ML Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7498658 04/28/19 03:53 AM
R
rjd Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Coming up on 67. Still enjoy hunting, but don't have any hunting partners anymore - moved away or died, so just miss the enjoyment of sharing the experiences with somebody. Bad back, crohn's disease and a few other assorted maladies keep things interesting. Missed all last season with shingles. Hope this year bodes a bit better.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: rjd] #7498837 04/28/19 03:18 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by rjd
Coming up on 67. Still enjoy hunting, but don't have any hunting partners anymore - moved away or died, so just miss the enjoyment of sharing the experiences with somebody.

Today's technology has made it easier and safer for guys to hunt alone. And as a result, hunting alone is more common in today's world where folks can be more focused on trophies than building relationships.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Texas Dan] #7499349 04/29/19 12:02 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by rjd
Coming up on 67. Still enjoy hunting, but don't have any hunting partners anymore - moved away or died, so just miss the enjoyment of sharing the experiences with somebody.

Today's technology has made it easier and safer for guys to hunt alone. And as a result, hunting alone is more common in today's world where folks can be more focused on trophies than building relationships.

That is what is wrong with today's world. We have become more focused on the trophy than building life long friendships.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Mr. T.] #7499379 04/29/19 12:38 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by rjd

That is what is wrong with today's world. We have become more focused on the trophy than building life long friendships.

Agreed.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7499613 04/29/19 04:35 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
God has been good to me, turned 65 in March and still hunt anywhere I want to go. I love hunt lion and bear with hounds in the the mountains and while I can tell that there is a shorter life span on this type of hunting, I will do it as long as I can. I am one of the blessed few who makes his living in the hunting/shooting industry so I hope to keep hunting another ten years.
I just returned from the NRA Convention where I spend most of the show in the Ruger booth visiting with hundreds of great patriotic folks. After an event such as this, I am humbled to be associated with so many great people and realize how lucky I am.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7499685 04/29/19 05:26 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
just turned 67, share everyone's physical hardships.

I have quit hunting on leases and go on 4-5 "package" hunts a year, Deer, axis, dove, prairie dogs, Redfish. No BIG MONEY hunts.

I need someone to do all the hard work, filling feeders etc, dragging game, lifting anything.

I still love it, it is harder to get ready.

it is harder for me to get up a 4:40am, everything hurts when i get out of bed. gotta wait for the "chemicals" to kick in.

Still like shooting in informal rifle and shotgun matches

I have turned into a FAIR WEATHER everything. If its rainy, cold, crappy, I'm staying in. Just not that mad and anything for that.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 04/29/19 05:28 PM.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Texas Dan] #7500122 04/30/19 01:05 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by rjd

True to a point but there are many old timers that both meat and trophy hunted at the same time. I had family born in the 1910-1930 era that trophy hunted at a very early age and had deer mounted they killed. The meat hunted also at that time since the oldest, biggest buck had the most meat on it. Does were not legal back then. They also hunted alone most of the time back then when they were younger with none of the technology we have today. They usually did not hunt with family or friends till they had kids old enough to hunt or went out of state on hunts with family/friends. Most all of them hunted till their health did not allow it anymore in their later years.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide