Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Older Hunters #7496028 04/25/19 12:02 AM
B
Boar Sight Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Having hunted for the better part of 6 1/2 decades I consider myself an "older hunter". What I'm curious to know is how many THF members consider themselves in the same older hunter group and what are the problems they experience. I see comments every once in awhile that mock someone for not doing something that may require the physical strength someone my age doesn't have. Are there other limitations that prevent hunters from going out into the field alone to do what they love? I hunt every week at night for hogs with thermal equipment and I suspect there are some who don't go simply because there is no one to join them. At age 76 I know I'm probably hunting on borrowed time but I'll keep at it as long as I can. I love seeing the photos and videos of young hunters with their family out sharing hunting experiences.

Some people have such a toxic and rancid personality that even death doesn't want them!
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496043 04/25/19 12:13 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I'll be 60 this year, Had cancer treatment, spine fusion, numerous arm surgeries, etc. A few years ago I bought a receiver mounted winch to lift deer and pigs into the truck. Made a heck of a difference as I don't need the help anymore .

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496065 04/25/19 12:43 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I'll be 69 this Fall, and love the mountains. Lots of restrictions on motorized retrieval of animals on public land, more lenient on private tho. . Still love to hunt and fish for everything. Until I was 60, I would routinely pack up to a 100# every day when retrieving game in the mountains. Now, with a bad ankle-bad knee-bad hip I can do 60-80# and I feel it for 3 days. Doesn't stop me, just more trips and conservative where I shoot big animals. For states which don't allow me to bone out deer, I have started using my wheeled cart or poly sled more often.

I'll edit this to include some additional info. Of the group of 10 or so close friends who have coffee regularly and hunt together, two have Parkinson's, one has throat cancer and one has lung cancer/emphsyma. One died of an aortic aneurysm early. One just got too old and fat, and gave up hunting for RV'ing. My partner and I must be too old to know better so we keep abusing ourselves and hunting wherever we can. Never give up!!!

Last edited by Blank; 04/25/19 12:52 AM.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496085 04/25/19 01:05 AM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Gotta find different ways to do the same things. NEVER GIVE UP. It’s what keeps the old man out. I can put up with the soreness and pain and the recovery. It’s still a labor of love. I guess my body will eventually tell me what I can or can’t do....but nobody else can.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496091 04/25/19 01:15 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I’m 40 and would most likely prefer to share camp with “old hunters”

I’m still at the age to do heavy lifting but had rather not have to deal with the younger crowd

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496112 04/25/19 01:40 AM
B
Black Duck Dog Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I am 60 and feel it but don’t give up. My Dad always said the older you get the wiser you get ! He was so right Being Hercules in my younger days did not pay off

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496118 04/25/19 01:45 AM
218 Bee Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker

I'm definitely in the group that has far more opening days behind than ahead!

My biggest complaints center around vision (especially since I love to hunt with open sights!) and a slight tremor that plays hell with shooting bug-hole groups anymore.

I'd still rather be afield than anywhere else. There's always cows to check, feed or doctor...always coyotes and hogs to chase.

When we moved out here I told my bride that I only had one more move remaining in me...either to the nursing home or the cemetery and when it got to that point I wouldn't much care which!

Mark

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496125 04/25/19 01:50 AM
T
trapperben Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
70+ and my biggest issue is having outlived or out healthed my hunting friends. Hunting by myself is not an issue but no one to share a lease with is an issue.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496198 04/25/19 03:02 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You guys are an inspiration. At 58, I hope to have a few more seasons in me. I'm at the stage that some of you have already been through - playing "whack-a-mole" with pain and minor physical issues. You know the drill - one thing will subside and some other issue will rear its ugly head, over, and over. I think it's a warm up for the "big stuff" coming down the pike and, to gain a little humility when it comes to truly elderly folks talking about nothing else but their physical ailments and doctors appointments.

A couple of the younger ones on here have been kind and patient enough to let me tag along on some hunts and it's been great to see new places and see the excitement of younger guys.

'Hope to close on a ranch in the next month and I plan on spending the next 10 years trying to make it the best place that I can. I like to think of myself as a realist, so I know that my son and son-in-law that live close aren't going to have a lot of time to help the old man with a whole bunch of stuff, but I can still do a lot of stuff myself (slowly and safely) and hopefully I'll get to spend some time with my grandkids, showing them a little about nature and hunting, small amounts at a time.

Good hunting to all of you.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496214 04/25/19 03:19 AM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Seventy-five here. Swapped slogging through the swamps for sitting in a box stand years ago. Sure don't miss the strenuous stuff. One day they're going to find my body in an elevated box in the piney woods with a gun clutched in my cold stiff hands and a big smile on my face.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496216 04/25/19 03:19 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
70 plus years of hard living. Agent Orange victim along with a spinal cord compression. 20 years ago I was in a wheelchair for about 6 months, finally with surgery and rehab I graduated to a walker and cane, another AO problem put me back on a walker a little over 2 years ago. I pay no attention to the BS of the younger bunch, I have been there and done that and done other things they can only dream of.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496263 04/25/19 10:25 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
76 and still in pretty good shape. I live in Hurst but own my own place around Bowie. Stock tanks, hogs, and deer. Have 4 wheelers and a tractor with front end loader. Used to be covered up by Grandson and his buddies. Now they are grown and have their own lives so don’t see much of them. I kinda feel like the song Puff the magic dragon. They still show up and help me fill feeders but that’s about it. The desire to hunt is still there but I killed 2 bucks last year that I couldn’t find. That makes me sick. Not sure what I’ll do this year.

I’ve killed my elk, antelope, mulies, and lots of white tails. Been to Africa and killed some animals that I wasn’t mad at.

Can’t shoot off hand any more and have to work to overcome a flinch. I guess I’m pretty well used up and worn out.

My Trophy Wife retires next year and we’re going to do some traveling. I doubt that I’ll ever hunt anywhere but my own place again.

I know one thing. We won’t go anywhere unless I can calm her down about going to Winstar.$$$$$

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 04/25/19 10:37 AM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496271 04/25/19 10:57 AM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Age 74 and still love getting out even though two bouts with cancer, weigh gain and just getting old have taken their tow. Have been able to complete "bucket lists" hunts and fishing in Alaska, Canada and the near Arctic. Will keep hunting until it is time to go. Planning hunting/fishing trips is as much fun as doing them.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Walkabout] #7496302 04/25/19 11:55 AM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Walkabout
Gotta find different ways to do the same things. NEVER GIVE UP. It’s what keeps the old man out. I can put up with the soreness and pain and the recovery. It’s still a labor of love. I guess my body will eventually tell me what I can or can’t do....but nobody else can.

This, ^......Im 69 and I tried yesterday to put 50lbs on my shoulder and climb up a ladder to fill the feeder. I could not make it. I had to just pour 25lbs out on the ground and then carry 1/2 sack up the ladder. I used the empty bag to pour corn into for the other 5 bags. It took 12 trips instead of 6, but I got it done.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496312 04/25/19 12:03 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Find a young hunter and take him under your wing. Teach him how to hunt and let him do the hard manual labor. One of my best friends is PitchforkPredator on this forum he isn’t a young buck but still very capable. I help fill feeders, fix blinds, move blinds and feeders around and all sorts of stuff. I get to shoot some hogs and coyotes from time to time but would help him out with anything if he ask. Some of the best friendships I have were made because of hunting.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Mr. T.] #7496315 04/25/19 12:08 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Walkabout

This, ^......Im 69 and I tried yesterday to put 50lbs on my shoulder and climb up a ladder to fill the feeder. I could not make it. I had to just pour 25lbs out on the ground and then carry 1/2 sack up the ladder. I used the empty bag to pour corn into for the other 5 bags. It took 12 trips instead of 6, but I got it done.

You need to get some stand and fill feeders. I did this a few years ago and it sure makes it easy.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496348 04/25/19 12:50 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My greatest concern as an older hunter is seeing the current generation of new and younger hunters who care nothing about learning the hunting knowledge and skills that people my age learned when first starting out. There isn't much to learn when your tactics equate to just waiting for something to show up and eat. And the far greater challenge made ANY deer that hung from a meat pole a trophy animal.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/25/19 01:20 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496369 04/25/19 01:13 PM
H
hawk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I'll be 60 in December. I still love hunting! I don't do much still hunting these days. My deer hunting us mostly from the comfort of a blind. Thank goodness for receiver hitch game hoists!! Still love dove and turkey hunting. I get out as often as I can. Now that I'm retired, I'm in the woods two or three days a week during season. I'll keep on keeping on as long as I'm able. Best part of hunting is the fellowship of sharing camp with good friends.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Texas Dan] #7496501 04/25/19 03:04 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
My greatest concern as an older hunter is seeing the current generation of new and younger hunters who care nothing about learning the hunting knowledge and skills that people my age learned when first starting out. There isn't much to learn when your tactics equate to just waiting for something to show up and eat. And the far greater challenge made ANY deer that hung from a meat pole a trophy animal.
the greatest concern is older people who are stuck in their ways and aren’t willing to change because they are too close minded.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496507 04/25/19 03:17 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I’m 55 so not “old” yet, but I can see it coming much sooner than it used to be. I am trying to get my mountain hunting in while I can, because I know that’s a younger man’s game. Other than that, getting older has been a blessing when it comes to hunting. Experience trumps everything-and there’s only one way to get it. Plus, you learn to slow down and enjoy life, which is probably getting older’s greatest gift.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496523 04/25/19 03:30 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
WTH is up with you olds? I'm 60 and just now hitting my prime! <sarcasm>

Been lucky on my health, weight is still good, and only some minor joint issues. I did have to quit running a few years back to save the knees. I'm sure at some point knee surgery is in my future. The one big thing that bothers me now that didn't before is extreme heat and cold. The days of working outside all day when it's 100 or hunting without a blind when it's below freezing are definitely behind me. And shooting open sights is sure a struggle. I really miss doing that the most.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: SapperTitan] #7496572 04/25/19 04:19 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
70 plus years of hard living. Agent Orange victim along with a spinal cord compression. 20 years ago I was in a wheelchair for about 6 months, finally with surgery and rehab I graduated to a walker and cane, another AO problem put me back on a walker a little over 2 years ago. I pay no attention to the BS of the younger bunch, I have been there and done that and done other things they can only dream of.

Originally Posted by SapperTitan
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

the greatest concern is older people who are stuck in their ways and aren’t willing to change because they are too close minded.

+1

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Stompy] #7496588 04/25/19 04:34 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
At age 83, I can no longer put a 50# sack of corn on my back and climb a ladder to fill a feeder. Solution?? I carry a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket in my truck and make 3 trips up the 14' ladder per sack.
It will be a while before I get too old to hunt!

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Older Hunters [Re: DH3] #7496703 04/25/19 06:30 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DH3
At age 83, I can no longer put a 50# sack of corn on my back and climb a ladder to fill a feeder. Solution?? I carry a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket in my truck and make 3 trips up the 14' ladder per sack.
It will be a while before I get too old to hunt!

I'm at the point where I don't mind getting those 40 pound bags instead of the bigger ones.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Older Hunters [Re: Boar Sight] #7496715 04/25/19 06:40 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
10-4 on the 40 # bags. At 72 I hunt 2 or 3 days a week during archery and gun season. No more climbing stands for me. Ladder stands or tripods. Still pull a 63 lb compound and 40 to 50 lb. long bow and recurve. I know my shoulders won't last many years longer, so xbows in in my future . frown frown!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide