Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
What do you guys use to plant? #7494095 04/22/19 06:24 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
I picked up a tractor last year and they gave me a deal on a 4ft Plotmaster. It's a bit small for my tractor, but got it for $1,400 so hard to complain.

Been debating on getting a bigger "all in one planter", but seem to be running into restrictions with my 3 point lift capacity on my JD 3038e.

What do you guys use?

Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7494123 04/22/19 07:01 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I'm a poor guy so I get tractor attachments one at a time. I bought a 6' box blade with rippers for $150 at a garage sale. The tiller was my dad's before he passed away. I bought my disc from TSC. I need a cultipacker next and have been looking around. I'll probably have to buy a new one unless anyone here knows of one for sale (cheap!).

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7494144 04/22/19 07:38 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I run a disc plow, then use a broadcast spreader for seed and fertilizer, then drag a 4X6 over the ground to cover the seeds.
Pray for rain... Has always worked great for me.
Here is my wife standing in 4 acres of oats 2 years ago.
[Linked Image]

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7494146 04/22/19 07:40 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
For most people I would suggest using your neighbor's teenagers. Find a local farmer that has kids that lives close to your place. A few dollars is a good investment in getting it done correctly. But since you have already started investing in equipment, get on the mailing lists for farm auctions, both in your home area and in the Coleman area. The Young Farmer's association in some areas hold annual surplus equipment auctions. Another option is to find people in your area in the same situation and try to share equipment, or "rent" from each other.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7494167 04/22/19 08:20 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Thanks yall. Those oats look nice Mr. T! I have 10 or so acres of oats on my place already that a local farmer planted. Decided to get my own gear to become more self reliant. The local farmer did a great job, but I also wanted an excuse to start accumulating equipment to make food plots on a whim.

I was thinking of picking up a rototiller this weekend to use for primary tillage. The rototiller will be used when the soil is hard since my Plotmaster barely scrapes the surface even with two sets of discs.

I put in several acres of sunflowers 2 weeks ago. Tried using the Plotmaster to disc up the soil... but it was way too dry to break up the soil. Ended up using a box blade with rippers. Adjusted the top link tight to give the box blade an angle and dragged the rippers. Seemed to work well. Followed by the Plotmaster for breaking up the clumps with the disc harrows, dropping the seed, dragging, and cultipacking in one pass. There were some points where my tractor strained. Little worried about harming the tractor by going the box blade/ripper route.

I am open to buying additional equipment and/or replacing the Plotmaster. Was hoping there was something similar but larger and something that doesn't weight too much since my 3 point on the 3038e has an annoyingly low lift weight capacity of about 1,300 lbs @ 2 ft out. Didn't factor that in when I purchased the 3038e. Oof.

I can get away with what I have now... but it's a pretty slow process with only having 4 ft of seed discing/seed dropping/dragging/cultipacking.

Might try a field where I simply disc/broadcast/drag as you mentioned Mr. T. I've heard of others doing that with great success. That'd make quick work of the process for my oats fields.

I was hoping there was something similar to the Plotmaster but in the 5 ft range. Seems everything is either 4 ft (too small) or 6 ft (too heavy for my 3 point). Really looking to simplify the secondary tillage & planting part. Also thought about getting a used grain drill that I can tow behind the trailer for a "minimum till" scenario. Still seems I'd need an appropriately sized cultipacker after using one of those.

Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7494214 04/22/19 09:16 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I planted 11-12 acres this spring and am hoping to expand that to 15-20 acres later this year or early next year. I have a 59hp MFWD with a 7 shank chisel plow, an older drag type 7' disc and an older JD 16 drop x 7" spacing grain drill(single drop but has small seed box). I bought the used chisels for $250, the disc for $1750 and then drill for $1950. I pick up Tractor House (at many rural C-store locations and feed stores down here) to look for used equipment. Here are several sites that sell used down here n my area(some sell new equipment also):
http://heiligmanequipment.com/inventory.asp#/?fsucriteria=;page=1;items=20;sort=0;wid=1;disposition=any
https://hesales.net/
https://www.dietztractor.com/search/inventory/usage/Used
http://www.muddequipment.com/equipment.html
This guy up in the Llubbock areas buys and refurbishes a lot of used grain drills. He was very helpful to me when I was looking for a part on my old JD drill. He will take the smaller drag type drills and make them into 3pt models from time to time.
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/grq/d/ropesville-ft-grain-drill/6851315213.html
Here are a couple of links to used and new culti[packers
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/search/gra?query=cultipacker
https://abilene.craigslist.org/search/gra?query=cultipacker
Most tractors will pull about 1' of width or per shank/sweep for every 10 HP for equipment. So my 59hp has 4 wheel drive so it gets me 6' to 7' width for a disc or shanks for tillage. Hard or compacted soils take more HP than better/loose soils. If you have one or two larger fields then drag type tillage/planting is a good choice. If you have smaller or tight areas to plant that are odd shaped and require a lot of turning then 3pt equipment may be a better choice. I have a 10' homemade pipe roller and two home made drags that can be pulled behind tractor or disc/chisels. I have a 3pt seeder/spreader also.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7494236 04/22/19 09:55 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Wow - great pics and information. Thanks stxranchman.

Coincidentally, I have Craigslist Abilene pulled up in another tab and was looking at one of the grain drills from the guy you mentioned. Looks like an interesting option. Thought about selling the Plotmaster and getting primary tillage equipment along with a grain drill. Could probably cut my planting time near 40% going that route. While my Plotmaster is 4 ft - the discs only measure to about 3.5 ft. Was hoping to find a solution that would at least cover the width of my tires. I think my JD 3038e 38hp 4x4 could handle 5ft equipment. Looks like a grain drill combined with smaller primary tillage implement would be the ticket.

My fields are all fairly large. I have about 60 acres of fields that at some point were tilled. Certainly no tight spaces - lots of room to move around the field as well as roads on each side. Aiming at planting around 20 acres of those fields to keep the wildlife concentrated near the blinds.

Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: Mr. T.] #7494668 04/23/19 01:37 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
I run a disc plow, then use a broadcast spreader for seed and fertilizer, then drag a 4X6 over the ground to cover the seeds.

Same here.

I also have a ATV Tank Sprayer for killing all vegetation as Step 1 as well as a box blade that I use to smooth out holes and very rough areas rooted out by hogs during the off season.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: Texas Dan] #7494680 04/23/19 01:48 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by Mr. T.

Same here.

I also have a ATV Tank Sprayer for killing all vegetation as Step 1 as well as a box blade that I use to smooth out holes and very rough areas rooted out by hogs during the off season.

Yes, always spray two weeks before I plan to plant.

Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7494910 04/23/19 06:17 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Here is the spray, disc, broadcast, drag a 4X6 results for winter peas this year in east texas.
Photo taken yesterday. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7495329 04/24/19 08:55 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
That’s a nice pea patch.... up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7495444 04/24/19 01:58 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Looking good Mr. T!

Great choice of blind too. I love my Antlershed!

Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7495648 04/24/19 05:27 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I've never had an Antlershed stand, but this year I bought two. We have had sooooo much rain it is not even funny, but the stands have never leaked or let bugs in.
They are easy to keep warm also.

Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: stxranchman] #7496771 04/25/19 07:42 PM
H
hookemhorns Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Stx. What did you plant in these pics

Last edited by hookemhorns; 04/25/19 07:47 PM.

God is deep but he is not complicated.
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7498133 04/27/19 01:04 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
I picked up a tractor last year, and they gave me a deal on a 4ft Plotmaster. It's a bit small for my tractor but got it for $1,400 so hard to complain.

Been debating on getting a bigger "all in one planter," but seem to be running into restrictions with my 3 point lift capacity on my JD 3038e.

What do you guys use?

With the "AIO" equipment, I think you need to move away from those that are 3-PT mounted. I've run from doing this with a bagged seeder to some really good equipment, but the equipment that is 3-PT is just not heavy enough to do the work all at once. If the implement is heavy enough, been that route too, it is either a PITA and or can be dangerous getting it hooked up. I had a friend get caught between his tractor and Woods Super Seeder (he put it up for sale the next day), and I had a tiller based planter (2800#) hurt me as well (it was sold as well). A slight shift in the position given how tight you are between the tractor and implement is a real consideration with equipment weight 2500 to 3000 lbs.

I think our soils here in Texas are typically too tough for an "All In One" to be used without any soil prep work, especially given the weight of the typical equipment. Whether it uses disc blades or shanks to break the soil ahead of seeding or drilling, a single pass will not be enough. I don't know if anyone has used a Field Tough 10' yet, but I just don't see a 650' implement doing much prep work on the single pass. What that means is that you will need a disc as well.

Something like the Landdoll (was Brillion) Till 'N Seed has the weight (2100#) to make it an AIO and would be compatible with your size of tractor. I've seen it demonstrated and it works, this kind of equipment is expensive.

I've gone the no-till way. I don't turn my plots back to bare soil any more unless the drying cover is being burnt off or I need to eliminate something like nettle or pigweed. The plots are not as pretty as they once where, because there is always stubble or some mix of growth on top, but the deer and turkey seem to be well satisfied with them. If my soil is getting dried out, like at the end of the summer, and I feel that the prep tools on the no-till will have a tough time, I run a Dirt Dog chisel plow through the plot prior to planting. I have a Land Pride Seeder with three different seed boxes on it. A friend of mine bought near the same seeder but as a drill. The only difference between a seeder and a drill is that end result of the seeder looks like the seed was broadcast and the drill, despite the stubble left in the plot, you can tell the seed went down in rows. Both implements are tow bar drawn.

[Linked Image]
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7498794 04/28/19 01:41 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I disk, have a seed slinger that I use and then disk again.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: hookemhorns] #7500109 04/30/19 12:51 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by hookemhorns
Stx. What did you plant in these pics

Depending on the year or photo, I have planted Lab Lab, Soybeans, Iron and Clays and Red Ripper Cowpeas. I mixed Lab Lab with I&C or RR cowpeas some years. Then went with Iron and Clays only last year and now Red Rippers only this year(except for two fields that I mixed in Sunn Hemp). I have found that Red Rippers are a bit more drought tolerant and viney than Iron and Clays. Lab Lab takes about 4-5 weeks to really get going and the deer here just do not let it get past 3 weeks after the first or second year of it. Lab Lab can grow into the fall with enough acreage and rainfall at the key times. They prefer Lab Lab over I&C or RR cowpeas also. So the longest I had it was into mid July the second year with great rainfall. The second year it made it 3 weeks. Fall plots are oats most of the time since Austrian Winter peas never make it past the first month in the fall plots for me when I have tried them in the mix.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7502098 05/02/19 10:50 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I seeded some strips yesterday afternoon with my Land Pride No-Till seeder in order to use up 20# of Pogue's Spring Buck Buffet.

[Linked Image]

The strips had standing TAMO 411 oats that were dried stalks with seed heads on them. I decided to use the spiked rollers at max agitation to see what they would do. The dried vegitation disappeared, chopped up and mixed with the soil. I will get some pictures up this afternoon.

[Linked Image]
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7503019 05/03/19 10:07 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Here are the pictures of using my Land Pride NTS2507 as an "all in one" seeder. This is with the spiked rollers set at max agitation, about 45º across the centerline of the seeder. With the seeder, adjusting the angle of the spike rollers is how seed depth is controlled against standing stubble and soil condition. It takes a bit of experience with the seeder to get it figured out, but I'm getting there. I hadn't hoped to get the ground this bare but given I wasn't seeding a big area and that I had not used this degree setting with the rollers, I thought I would see what it does. There was also thundershowers overhead, and I thought I might catch some rain, but alas, I didn't. Maybe today?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not much to the spiked rollers. Land Pride does have the spiral wrap of the teeth figured out as they do work over what they encounter. Of course, 2800 lbs on top of them along with speed (5 mph) does the trick as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7504579 05/05/19 12:00 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
The frontal system dropped .9" of rain on the plots Friday. Soil looks great, it all went straight down with no erosion from the quick passage. Now, I want to grow something different, not a prepped food plot mix, in my irrigated plots just for the summer. I would like two seed types, a small and large so that I can try using the two front seed boxes at the same time. The boxes have separate rate controls, but they will need to require near the same seed depth. I will probably go over to Pogue Seed in Kenedy on Thursday, see what they would recommend, plus there would be the fried chicken at Barth's! Do you guys have any ideas for the two different plants that would fit together?

[Linked Image]
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7506576 05/07/19 06:40 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Nice implement Ranch Dog!

Curious what kind of tractor you pull it with?

Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7509703 05/11/19 04:10 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
Nice implement Ranch Dog!

Curious what kind of tractor you pull it with?

Thanks! The tractor is a Kubota M8540, the picture was taken while planting native grasses on the front of my place.

[Linked Image]

I seem to do a lot of work at night; everything is lit up well, so it works out great.

[Linked Image]

The plants are coming along very well, the picture isn't the best, but everything is several inches high.

[Linked Image]

The picture was taken about three days ago, and it is near doubled in height this morning. The thing about this seed is that it was two-years-old. Many think seed won't store but it will if you keep it dry. When I finished planting in the Spring of '17, I opened the meter dumps and let the remaining seed in the box fall on the concrete floor of my barn. I swept it up and started filling the original bags. I vacuumed out the boxes and meters and put that in the bags, tie-wrapping them closed. My barn/garage has a gun/reloading room that has central air and heat plus a walk-in tiled shower. That's where I leave seed bags.

[Linked Image]
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7537752 06/19/19 04:21 AM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
This is a good thread. Most of us use what we have. All I have is my Shreader and box blade. I hope next year I can get a disc and chisel plow. Northern tool as I recall sells a chisel plow for about 700 dollars. A cheap disc will cost me a grand. Sure would make my lasting easier. Along with larger plots.

Thanks, Billy
Re: What do you guys use to plant? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7540033 06/22/19 03:23 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I bought a planter and never use it, don't need it. Like above. Spray the plot with generic roundup. Run the spring tooth plow if hard ground. Run the disc over to smooth it out. Use my atv/utv electric spreader to throw seed. Use my tractor spreader to throw fertilizer. Run disc over the plot again (raised up to 1 inch deep depending on seed) with a heavy drag behind the disc to cover. Works great. I am up to 7 food plots now and all look good. I get more pics of mature bucks on these plots than I do on all 8 of my feeders. Goal is to add a plot every year until I get to about 12 to 15.

It is more about prep than the equipment.....getting a good seed bed, putting on the right amount of fertilizer and planting at the right times of year. Seed doesn't care if you use a $100k John Deere or a $1500 Ford 8N.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide