Print Thread
Good friends vs. old friends..... #7492868 04/21/19 03:59 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The other Old Friends thread really got me to thinking....it actually hit me to my core...

I grew up bouncing all over this state being in 8 schools in 12 years (2 years in the first one and 5 in the last one so you get the idea, my most formidable years were a whirlwind). As a result, from a very young age, friends came and went with every move, sometimes multiple times a year....then things weren't all that different in the army, college, or the many subsequent jobs over the past years.....

I have a couple of close friends, and a few good friends, but for the most part, mostly acquaintances....people who drift in and out of your life over time and life's changing circumstances....including some family members!

The goose hunt several of us went on earlier this year was transformational for me personally....I got to hang out with twelve exceptional people for a couple days...all friends, but only a few I had personally met....last summers striper trip was much the same...great times with some really amazing people.

I've have the pleasure to make many friends here who share similar interests, values, principals, morals, and ethics....truly some of the best people in the state, country, and globe.... This site transcends geography, industry, profession, education, or economic status....

It is a community comprised of some of the best folks in the world.....many friends here I've met, some even gotten to know quite well, and others I still look forward to meeting....regardless....all are friends!

I am truly looking forward to see many friends this coming weekend at Dave's shoot...some for the first time!

Jes sayin' I appreciate this community and the relationships it brought to my life..... cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7492869 04/21/19 04:05 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
up up

Yep, that was a great trip and lots of friendships made.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7492870 04/21/19 04:06 AM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
truly some of the best people in the state, country, and globe.... This site transcends geography, industry, profession, education, or economic status....

It is a community comprised of some of the best folks in the world....

Lots of great folks on here!

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7492872 04/21/19 04:08 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Well said.

Unfortunately.... I’ve been blowing up your phone for years..

This one may be the most entertaining.... for you NOT me or my brother.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7492887 04/21/19 04:37 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Yep Jes, lots of good folk on this forum. And it’s fun when you get to put faces to screen names. There’s just that extra bond you get when a friendship combines with a passion for hunting or fishing. Sort of hard to explain, but it’s kind of like a glue that bonds a friendship and makes it just that much stronger.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7492893 04/21/19 04:46 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
That one was funny John!

Mr. President. . . I mean Your Highness . . . . I mean Mr. Jes, sir, the word transformational is spot on. I know I make y’all shake your heads on a daily basis still but I hope y’all know what meeting it has for me. I’m still flabbergasted by so many different aspects of it all. From my specific start in the group, to learning so many people’s stories and how they got where they are now, the overall true giving or helpful nature of so many fellas.

Talk about both ends of the spectrum and everything in between when you describe the Goose bunch! roflmao

I say to you sir, in the words of the great minion king, ParaTuBanana!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7492894 04/21/19 04:47 AM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Well said.

Unfortunately.... I’ve been blowing up your phone for years..

This one may be the most entertaining.... for you NOT me or my brother.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You have no idea how badly I wish I had recorded that phone call.....epic is a gross understatement..... rofl

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: Bullfrog] #7492896 04/21/19 04:49 AM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
ParaTuBanana!

That made me giggle..... clap

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7492964 04/21/19 12:22 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
up

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7492987 04/21/19 01:06 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I heard a story or two from the goose hunt. Sounds like a sloshing good time.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7493007 04/21/19 01:22 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
There is a big difference between old friends and good friends.
I heard one time that people come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. Think that's pretty accurate.

I'm completely opposite of an invert. Within 10 minutes of being around someone I place them in one of 3 category.
Dislike
Can get along
We should go fishing

I'm generally not wrong in my placement either. When I put you on the let's go fishing category, you're pretty much there. I've got an old friend of mine from highschool. When he moved out west, he flat moved. Like gone I tried to keep up with him for a couple years but he wasn't interested. But if he called me right now and said can I some by and eat dinner. There would be a plate ready.

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7493116 04/21/19 04:19 PM
A
Auctioneer1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Try being a select baseball coach. You will have some good friends until the next season then you are a piece of [censored] when you don't select their kids to come back LOL!! Sports is one place you will have friend turnover big time LOL!!

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7493205 04/21/19 05:48 PM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Snake...….. we've always been friends...…..
Maybe, I'll get invited to fish next time..... up

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7493535 04/22/19 12:57 AM
C
Cool Mo D Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I've got 2 good friends I could count on if a war started tonight. Although I don't drink anymore ( and they do) we will be friends forever.
Funny thing, one of them and I used to be worst enemies and I mean worst. Lots of good folks here.

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: Sailor] #7505321 05/06/19 07:28 AM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Sailor
Snake...….. we've always been friends...…..
Maybe, I'll get invited to fish next time..... up

You can count on it Sir! cheers

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7505408 05/06/19 01:02 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I grew up in the same little sleepy town my whole life. I went to school 1-12 with the same people. I haven't spoke to a person I went to high school with since probably midway through college. Had one good friend that was a good kid growing up was into hunting and fishing we hung out a lot. In high school he got weird. I now live about 30 minutes from my hometown in the county and have seen one person I went to school with in the last 5-6 years. Wasn't a friend of mine so I didn't even say anything to them, but I did recognize them.

I still do stuff with my college roomates/buddies, they are great friends and people, but we all have our own lives and families and live 30 min to an hour apart, really difficult to get together as much as we want.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7505412 05/06/19 01:09 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Of the 21 people I graduated from high school with, I went through all twelve grades with 17 of them. There is only one I keep in regular contact with now.

I stay up with college friends more but after 33 years we have gone our separate ways for the most part.

I have a few very close friends and they are enough for me.

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7505424 05/06/19 01:25 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A couple of friends from high school (one went to college with me) I'll call, or they'll call me, we'll get together maybe, once every 5 or 10 years. Basically, our friendship hasn't changed and it's a good feeling to know there's someone out there that really knows you and you know them and all that you've both been through. But we've had our own lives for so long, that we don't really keep in touch. There were 950+ kids in my high school class.

A musician friend of mine from college keeps in touch several times a year, but he's never had a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of, so if I want to see him, I gotta fly up there.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7505477 05/06/19 02:26 PM
N
NORML as can be Offline
^^Cut the Cord^^
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
It's my own fault and I know it but can't seem to change that I don't play well with others and it has been this way ever since I can remember.

Have one distant acquaintance I can call and maybe he would give me a hand but heck he might be dead for all I know that's how much I see or talk to him. I'm not complaining I'm use to it, It's the way things are.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7505491 05/06/19 02:55 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I have 4 "best" friends, 3 from Junior High through college, 1 is ex BIL.

I have a million acquaintances, a few, I can call friends. there are just some who you can tell are good people and would become very close given more time together.

working in sales for MANY years has really made me not trust anyone anymore

hope i get a chance to join the fishing trip next time. i have to pass on the goose hunt. too much work cheers

PSA:

OH !!!!! I was with my "girl friend" yesterday. We were at Walmart buying some plants for her. She asked if we could run by Costco for something she could only get there. NEVER GO TO COSTCO ON SUNDAY. There were a million people there and I dont think I have ever heard so many languages in one place at one time. I guess I'm a bad person, cuz I had to go and wait in the truck and bang my head against the steering wheel.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7505566 05/06/19 03:57 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Being a military brat we moved on a regular basis, 11 schools before I graduated high school. I have no contact with anyone from any of teh schools except the first grade, I see a few of them several times a year. There were some from the various schools that I had contact with, but none are still living. My best friends are the Army buddies I served with in Vietnam, again not many left, but there are some that would help bury a body, even come to help create the reason for the burying process. Those I regularly converse with on Facebook, get and send emails and talk on the phone.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7505752 05/06/19 07:19 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I have a lot of acquaintances, quite a few friends, several close friends and a handful that i know I could count on when I was in true need and they know the same about me. Growing up in a small town K-12, everyone knew everybody. My class was an extremely close knit group and we still have a reunion every 5 years and have for over 40 years now. Within minutes, it's almost like we were back in school with our actions, discussions, joking around, etc. We typically have about 60% attendance on the 5 year and 70+% on the 10 year mark. I stay in contact with probably 30-35 mostly thru Facebook but about 5-6 I am in contact with much more frequent via phone or in person.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Good friends vs. old friends..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7506493 05/07/19 04:56 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
popcorn i have a good friend thats an old friend, confused2 in his 60's..

surly u've herd d song ;

" should old aquantance be forgotten "
bolt
flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide