Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question #7492681 04/20/19 11:58 PM
East Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Hey Guys

Hope all is well, been a while since I have been on here. Ever since I quit the day job behind a comp screen all day I don't get much time to see what is going on.

Saying that I do have a question about cattle and property lines.

So the adjacent property to the one I own was recently bought out. We never had a fence, just "knew" the property line. Well the new owner now has brought in cattle and they are constantly getting on my property, I have to chase them back in threw his gate as he only comes down on weekends. I assume he has made no efforts to put a fence up because it allows the cattle access to my tank.

While I am not trying to be an arse, I am also tired of having to help him cause he has not put in a fence. Especially like the other weekend when I had to do it during a lighting and hail storm.

I have reached out to several fencing companies to get it done myself, but its like pulling teeth trying to give these people my money. They come out, give me a quote, I say do it, and then its excuses for weeks. So I got to thinking if his cattle are crossing the property line in a way shouldn't it be his responsibility?

Either way I still want to fence in the entire thing with goat wire one day so they can clean everything up. But I am tired of babysitting his cattle.

What say you?

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is doing great!

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492686 04/21/19 12:03 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Maybe just rent equipment and just put it up yourself if you can't hire anyone. How many feet?

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: Txduckman] #7492690 04/21/19 12:08 AM
East Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Txduckman
Maybe just rent equipment and just put it up yourself if you can't hire anyone. How many feet?

That would be ideal for me, but unfortunately I am in the situation that we work at least 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day and I have to keep up with demand. One of those things " I dont have time to do it, so I will pay some one else to"

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492691 04/21/19 12:08 AM
East Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
And its only 7 acres perimeter

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492700 04/21/19 12:13 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
He’s taking advantage of you. Don’t be nice about it.

First thing to know is if your county is a fence in or fence out county. If it’s fence in, it’s his responsibility to contain his cattle. If it’s fence out, then it’s your responsibility to keep livestock off your place, and you live in a retarded county.

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492703 04/21/19 12:15 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I believe the land owner with the cattle is responsible for keeping his livestock on his property. As such, I would think he should pay for that section of fence or at least a portion of it.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492707 04/21/19 12:20 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Welcome back

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: Roll-Tide] #7492710 04/21/19 12:22 AM
East Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sneaky

First thing to know is if your county is a fence in or fence out county. If it’s fence in, it’s his responsibility to contain his cattle. If it’s fence out, then it’s your responsibility to keep livestock off your place, and you live in a retarded county.

I will check on this, thank you

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Welcome back

Thank you, while I will not be on much I appreciate it

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: Big Fitz] #7492711 04/21/19 12:22 AM
East Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Big Fitz
I believe the land owner with the cattle is responsible for keeping his livestock on his property. As such, I would think he should pay for that section of fence or at least a portion of it.

My thoughts

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492714 04/21/19 12:25 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Is it against the law to eat the problem ?

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492715 04/21/19 12:25 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yes, it is his responsibility to keep them on his property, I don't know why he would put cows on a property not fenced.
What county are you in?

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: NORML as can be] #7492716 04/21/19 12:25 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Mosquints
Is it against the law to eat the problem ?

food

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: Sneaky] #7492718 04/21/19 12:28 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

First thing to know is if your county is a fence in or fence out county. If it's fence in, it's his responsibility to contain his cattle. If it’s fence out, then it’s your responsibility to keep livestock off your place, and you live in a retarded county.

If this is the case, you have given him a plenty of warning, I would call the sheriff and have them take care of the cattle. Doing that may ruin any neighbor cooperation, but being his cattle keeper is your other option. Me, I am too old too care, I would have the SO haul them off.

Last edited by dogcatcher; 04/21/19 12:29 AM.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: dogcatcher] #7492719 04/21/19 12:32 AM
East Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

First thing to know is if your county is a fence in or fence out county. If it's fence in, it's his responsibility to contain his cattle. If it’s fence out, then it’s your responsibility to keep livestock off your place, and you live in a retarded county.

If this is the case, you have given him a plenty of warning, I would call the sheriff and have them take care of the cattle. Doing that may ruin any neighbor cooperation, but being his cattle keeper is your other option. Me, I am too old too care, I would have the SO haul them off.

We have already butted heads. I do not care for him at all. But I do respect cattle. So I bite my tongue and help. Saying that, if he was here I would say do it yourself

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492721 04/21/19 12:34 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Texas defaults as a "fence in" state. Unless a county votes to be an open range county. Which is far more prevalent very much west of you, like Pecos county.

It is his job to keep his livestock on his land, and off of yours. I ran into this, with my neighbors to the east, and put their cattle back weekly. More than once I had a customer out, and look down to see cattle on the range. They paid for my time, and I had to stop, profusely apologize and go put cattle back where they belong. I was getting pissed, and the neighbor could tell especially when I said "you and I both don't want your cattle to get shot". Why would they get shot? "Because they are stepping onto a rifle range.

So, in your case, I wouldn't go to him with a question, it would be a statement, and that would be telling him it is his job to keep his cattle on his place. I want to be a good neighbor, but I'm also tired of this problem. If a fence is not up soon, I am calling the Sheriff, he will call his cowboys, and you can go get your cattle out of inpound. That is real, that is in the law books. Then, I would offer to split the cost of the fence. That's the neighborly way it has been done forever. Both of you end up with fence you agreed upon, and you split the cost.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492723 04/21/19 12:37 AM
P
pdr55 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Picture document his cows being on your place and invoice him monthly for grazing.
I’m thinking about $10/day/cow should get his attention.
Hope everything is going well for you East !

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492738 04/21/19 12:53 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by East
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

We have already butted heads. I do not care for him at all. But I do respect cattle. So I bite my tongue and help. Saying that, if he was here I would say do it yourself

My understanding on fence line issues is that both parties split the cost evenly, if that is the case then call him tell him y'all need to build a fence now and split the cost or the next time his cattle comes across you will call the Sheriffs office who will have someone come haul his cattle of to a sale barn. If he does not comply call the Sheriff!

Glad you are still vertical up

Last edited by Stub; 04/21/19 12:55 AM.

texas flag

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492739 04/21/19 12:53 AM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Put up a two strand hot wire with t posts then call the sheriff to explain the situation. Call the neighbor next and tell him it's time to fence in his herd or be charged a grazing fee.

[Linked Image]
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: Sneaky] #7492740 04/21/19 12:53 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Interesting. I agree that, if your county is a fence out county, that’s dumb.

East, fence them in your property and now you’ve got cattle because your neighbor stinks. That should teach him.

And welcome back.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492743 04/21/19 12:59 AM
P
pnh Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I never put cattle on a new place without first checking the perimeter fences. He sounds to me like a wanna be rancher. He should have come to you first and offered to split the cost of a new fence.

Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492750 04/21/19 01:06 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted by East
Hey Guys
because it allows the cattle access to my tank.

Does he have water on his place? If not he is relying on your place for water for the cows. Putting cattle on a place without fences is irresponsible and if there is no water even more so.

Sounds like FFR is going well, drop in more often.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492757 04/21/19 01:11 AM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Talk to a lawyer and find out what your rights are.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492761 04/21/19 01:15 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
First time your neighbor gets a bill from the sheriff's office he will work on that fence line.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492774 04/21/19 01:35 AM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
No need to waste money on a lawyer. It is the responsibility of the cattle owner to contain his livestock. When they leave his property, they are considered estray. The Sheriff in each county handles estray livestock.

Good info here: http://tscra.org/what-we-do/theft-and-law/livestock-laws/

Re: Long Time no post - Cattle/Property Question [Re: East] #7492785 04/21/19 01:52 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Real simple first find out if your county is fence in or fence out. Don’t assume

Second do your part from above accordingly

Third call sheriff get permission to round up cattle lot them or see if they will do it. Keep a very good log of expenses and then file with the commissioners court for damages.

If the sheriff department picks up the cows then they go to local sale barn will he will incur those holding and delivery expenses. When you file he will also be ordered to pay grazing cost.

Continue and repeat above process it, will eventually fix the problem.

If he doesn’t pay put a lien on his cattle or land

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide