Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hunting w/o power/water #7491816 04/19/19 08:58 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
For those of you hunting without power or drinkable water on site, what does you camp setup look like? What kind of generators are you running and what are you doing for a solution for your fresh water? For those with storage tanks are you gravity feeding your trailers? On demand pumps? What about algae?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7491823 04/19/19 09:07 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Back in those days we carried drinking water in 5 gallon cans and our lights were flashlights and 2 lanterns. We had a 12 volt battery hooked to a car radio with speakers, I took the battery home with me to charge it.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7491824 04/19/19 09:11 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
I’m going to be running a generator at least intermittently to power a travel trailer or charge the batteries. Lots of opinions on inverter generators so wanted to see what everyone else was using. Debating if an external tank is worth it to store water on a longer term basis instead of hauling it in in smaller quantities.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7491846 04/19/19 10:01 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Like Dogcatcher back in the day carried water out and used lanterns. Built a stand and put a barrel on it to let water flow down to a old kitchen sink. Had a 12 volt light bulb in our shack/cabin, whoever arrived first hooked the wire up to his car battery and thus we had light. Had a good wood burning stove .

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7491878 04/19/19 10:30 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
I carried two charged batteries with me every weekend. I also carried several water jugs and filled the water tank. A couple of cap fulls of bleach will keep the water clean for a shower and washing. Only time I used a generator was when it was hot and I just had to run the air conditioner.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7491887 04/19/19 10:35 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
At my off the grid East Texas place, 200 watt Solar panel, charge controller, 12 volt deep cycle batteries, cig lighter and usb receptacles. Positive pressure fan installed near floor and exhaust fan in ceiling for air circulation. Blackout curtains and trucker fans so it don't turn into a hot box on warm days. Lights are all low draw led. 12 volt TV. Water line to sink uses a low volume 12 volt water feature pump. Stove and Catalytic safety heater on propane. Shower is a wand with a low volume 12 volt pump. I removed the water tank in bottom cabinet under sink and replaced it with a 7 gallon portable water container with two additional 7 gallon containers lined up next to it in reserve. I adapted the water line to container cap with a pickup tube so I can just swap the pickup tube cap between jugs as needed. When water is down to last container, I bring three full containers back with me next time to swap out. I don't want to store water so long that I have to worry about it going bad, but it does last longer than you would think.

It has worked so well for me, if I was ever again only needing 12 volt power for another camp, before I would haul batteries back and forth or get a generator for the sole purpose of charging batteries I would use a solar panel.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: Wilhunt] #7491923 04/19/19 11:26 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
........whoever arrived first hooked the wire up to his car battery and thus we had light........

For road trip camping I installed a second battery box in my suburban. It is on a simple switch to to keep isolated from my main battery or to be recharged off my alternator, but it's main purpose is not for the vehicle. It is for running anything off of it I want while camping, for a trolling motor, fishing lights, etc. and can easily be pulled out and put back in. Not to mention it's nice to have a spare charged battery on hand when your out in the middle of nowhere without phone service. I have been stranded with a dead battery and no cell service once before. I removed my battery and some wire I borrowed from something on my suburban and carried it to a nearby oil well pump I remembered seeing with a solar panel. Wired my battery to the panel and went hunting. When I got done hunting, I put the battery back in the truck and it started right up.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7491943 04/20/19 12:03 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Did it for years, Pop had an old WWII cook tent where all the cooking, eating and BSing took place and then we went to our tents to sleep. Haul in twice as much water as you think you'll
need. Coleman lanterns and stoves for light and cooking.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492087 04/20/19 02:16 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Never used a generator, and always bring our water. We sleep in a tent if we stay, but it’s only 90 minutes away from the house.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492125 04/20/19 02:51 AM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
No electric or water at my camp. I bring enough water for the weekend. My place is only 10 minutes from a town and an hour from my house. Use battery lanterns for light and have a catitic propane heater if it gets cold.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492148 04/20/19 03:11 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by krmitchell
For those of you hunting without power or drinkable water on site, what does you camp setup look like? What kind of generators are you running and what are you doing for a solution for your fresh water? For those with storage tanks are you gravity feeding your trailers? On demand pumps? What about algae?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve ran been apart of 3 sets up now.

One place had a15k watt offshore diesel generator with 50gallon Aux tank that ran all containers and a shallow water well pump that feed a 250gal water tank that had on demand pump attached to supply pressurized non potable to containers.(bleach for algae) Great set up... not so fuel efficient though for one container

A buddies set up was 4Kwatt kubota low boy with 100gal aux tank and 100gal water storage with on demand RV pump on it. Great set up. 4Kwatt by its self is easily picked up and stolen, with 100gal tank not so much. Very fuel efficient. Just hauled water in and might bring 5 gal of fuel every week top off generator

Third set up was filled RV tanks with a portable 50gal tank I bought from Northern power and tool. Think utv spray rig tank. Electricity was 2 Honda EU 2k in parraral w/5 gal aux tank. Would use about 5-8 gal a weekend of fuel

If I had to do it again tomorrow... I’d run solar panels and 3 battery bank for all lights etc and also add kubota lowboy w/aux tank for everything else. If you don’t need AC or heat you would be amazed what you can do with small solar system. If I had a small cabin, I’d probably do a wood stove and probably only use generator in the summer or for hot water.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492180 04/20/19 03:43 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Before I had electricity ran to my cabin I just used a generator. It would power the window unit AC, lights, fan, etc.

Now I have electric, but still no water. I'm never there for more than 3 days at a time so I just don't shower. Get nice and sweaty in the summer when I'm working but usually just take the sheets home and wash them, Lol. Winter isn't as bad.

I just keep a case of bottled waters for coffee, to drink, and wet paper towels if I need to wipe down. Also baby wipes to knock the cheese off. roflmao

I need to get one of those portable shower heads that hooks to a battery and 5 gallon bucket to rinse off with.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: DocHorton] #7492183 04/20/19 03:49 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Before I had electricity ran to my cabin I just used a generator. It would power the window unit AC, lights, fan, etc.

Now I have electric, but still no water. I'm never there for more than 3 days at a time so I just don't shower. Get nice and sweaty in the summer when I'm working but usually just take the sheets home and wash them, Lol. Winter isn't as bad.

I just keep a case of bottled waters for coffee, to drink, and wet paper towels if I need to wipe down. Also baby wipes to knock the cheese off. roflmao

I need to get one of those portable shower heads that hooks to a battery and 5 gallon bucket to rinse off with.

You know you could set up a real easy water catch system off that roof..... just saying smile

The 5gal water heaters are actually pretty efficient if you use an RV type hand held off/on shower head.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492293 04/20/19 11:57 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
We use an 8400 watt generator that will run 2 travel trailers with heating/ac. We bring our water in. I had a two sided small barn built for equipment/utv and generator. Also solar lights for barn and all around camp. Solar technology has improved a great deal as well as lower prices.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7492349 04/20/19 02:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by krmitchell

Thanks in advance.

I’ve ran been apart of 3 sets up now.

One place had a15k watt offshore diesel generator with 50gallon Aux tank that ran all containers and a shallow water well pump that feed a 250gal water tank that had on demand pump attached to supply pressurized non potable to containers.(bleach for algae) Great set up... not so fuel efficient though for one container

A buddies set up was 4Kwatt kubota low boy with 100gal aux tank and 100gal water storage with on demand RV pump on it. Great set up. 4Kwatt by its self is easily picked up and stolen, with 100gal tank not so much. Very fuel efficient. Just hauled water in and might bring 5 gal of fuel every week top off generator

Third set up was filled RV tanks with a portable 50gal tank I bought from Northern power and tool. Think utv spray rig tank. Electricity was 2 Honda EU 2k in parraral w/5 gal aux tank. Would use about 5-8 gal a weekend of fuel

If I had to do it again tomorrow... I’d run solar panels and 3 battery bank for all lights etc and also add kubota lowboy w/aux tank for everything else. If you don’t need AC or heat you would be amazed what you can do with small solar system. If I had a small cabin, I’d probably do a wood stove and probably only use generator in the summer or for hot water.

Correction it was a 7k lowboy not 4K.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7492542 04/20/19 07:40 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

You know you could set up a real easy water catch system off that roof..... just saying smile

The 5gal water heaters are actually pretty efficient if you use an RV type hand held off/on shower head.

Do you have a link for a good one?

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492589 04/20/19 08:59 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Doc we had something like this but actually hooked it up to a shower. Can’t beat it for the price. Runs off a 5 gallon propane tank. This is an on demand one, does t have a tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Gasland-Port...qid=1555793885&s=gateway&sr=8-54

Last edited by krmitchell; 04/20/19 09:00 PM.
Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: DocHorton] #7492592 04/20/19 09:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Do you have a link for a good one?

Key is RV type shower head where you can stop continuous flow.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...Use-Water-Heater-XE06P06PU20U0/204318372

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492600 04/20/19 09:18 PM
H
Hirogen Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Our cabin is 16x20 insulated with wood heat. Power is via 200 watt solar and 400 watt windmill to charge 200 amp-hour of deep cycle battery. 1500 watt pure sine inverter to provide 115 VAC if needed but virtually everything is 12 volt DC. Lights are low power 12V LED. Water comes from the river in 5 gallon jugs. Water gets poured through a homemade gravity sand filter (55 gallon drum full of clean sand) to remove the big chunkies. This water than gets hit with some bleach and left to stand for an hour or two to kill all pathogens. The bleached water is than hand pumped through a 20 inch big blue cartridge filter with a pore size of 0.35 microns followed by an 20 inch big blue carbon block to remove any residual chlorine. Been doing this for 20+ years - never had an issue. With the right set up you can produce almost 10 gpm with the hand pump.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492614 04/20/19 09:56 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I don't have power or water. For water I have a tote on the side of the trailer for showers and cleaning. It gravity feeds into the trailer when I need it. Trailer has a battery pump to service sink and shower. It is on a stack of pallets. I have another tote that I put in the back of the truck to haul water from home when I need some more. As far as drinking water, I bring bottled water. I also have a 6500 watt generator when I want AC or need elec for anything. -

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492709 04/21/19 12:22 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Most everyone has covered this pretty good. When we had a lease in the Three Rivers area, there was nothing there except and old RV. We used a 200 gallon poly tote on a flatbed trailer for our potable water, with a 12VDC RV water pump and car battery. Electrical was an old Honda 1600 watt generator. Powered lights and would even carry an 8000 Btu window A/C unit in the trailer for super hot days.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: Blank] #7492717 04/21/19 12:26 AM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Blank
Most everyone has covered this pretty good. When we had a lease in the Three Rivers area, there was nothing there except and old RV. We used a 200 gallon poly tote on a flatbed trailer for our potable water, with a 12VDC RV water pump and car battery. Electrical was an old Honda 1600 watt generator. Powered lights and would even carry an 8000 Btu window A/C unit in the trailer for super hot days.

Did you treat the water or were you hauling fresh every weekend?

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492728 04/21/19 12:41 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
We usually used all the water each trip, but sometimes there was leftover.. Found we could put about 1/2 cup of bleach in the full tank at the beginning, and it was good for several trips if we left it full. never had any issues in all the years we did it.

Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: krmitchell] #7492736 04/21/19 12:52 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
For water pressure the easiest way is an RV water pump set up to work on demand. At onetime we had a water tower, a 55 gallon barrel on a stand about 6 foot off the ground. We pumped water to it from a tote that we carried water in. Never was concerned about algae, because each trip we carried fresh drinking and cooking water. For a shower we had a GI bucket shower that hung under the tank, fill it at air temperature water and soap down on a pallet under the water tower for all of the world to see, rinse and dry.After a few years we did wall in the area under the tower for some privacy.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting w/o power/water [Re: Blank] #7492748 04/21/19 01:03 AM
S
Screwdriver Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
For a generator, I really recommend one that runs on propane. It is so much easier, cleaner, and convenient than running gas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide