Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools #7489725 04/17/19 02:51 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I have never had a tool that I purchased at Harbor Freight that failed to perform well enough to complete a given job. And given my skill level, I doubt the finished jobs would have looked any better had I used more expensive tools. Granted, the quality might not be the same as more expensive, professional-grade tools, but why pay a lot more for a tool you might use a half-dozen times at most. I have Harbor Freight tools that I picked up at garage sales and Craig's List that have never failed me.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7489731 04/17/19 03:00 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I have had pretty good luck with them as well. If i were using them every day, I would want something better but for those tools that are just used every now and then they work fine.

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7489751 04/17/19 03:19 PM
D
Ders26 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I like Harbor Freight but usually stick to non-power tools and tools with minimal moving parts.

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7490077 04/17/19 08:33 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Harbor Freight paint brushes suck.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7490102 04/17/19 08:51 PM
C
ChrisG Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I have had a power tool break (burnt up motor I think), took it back and they swapped me a new one. Not bad for cheap few times a year use tools. I even have looked into their bench top mill to finish out some 80% pieces. I also use their bungee chords and ratchet straps because I cannot keep up with them and they are cheap to replace. I do go to HomeD more often because its closer.

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7490225 04/17/19 10:46 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If I need something in the tools department, they are my first stop. Occasionally one will fail, but to be fair most of the times it was my fault. A $19 drill wasn't made to drill 240 holes using a 1 1/2 spade bit through 4x6:s. Took that one back, got a new one for no additional cost and finished that project.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7490565 04/18/19 11:49 AM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I agree. I buy bungee cords, straps, tarps and storage bags or boxes. And wires ties.

They are also good for speciality items. 12 inch long nose pliars, moving blankets.

You need to know what your buying. Some tools are 30% qaulity for 80% of the cost of name brand. Some are good value and some are a waste of money. Have not bought a big ticket item.

Good just to browse, but so is Tractor Supply and Northern Tool.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7490641 04/18/19 01:30 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I bought a HF 6amp Reciprocating Saw $20 w/coupon hoping it would last just long enough to demo 1 wall; (bi-metal blade pack too) - well, it worked just fine and surprised only needed 1 blade to even chew thru countless 16d nails...
Figured it served it's purpose so I proceeded to abuse it severely by using it to trim countless cedar branches out back (it is nice and light compared to my chainsaw,and I had plenty of cord...) - dang thing just keeps on going..

Then I needed to cut on a brick wall - found diamond-coated blades at store, and yes, same saw chewed right thru that brick like butter...

It's two years later, and I've used the same saw on additional demo work, and STILL havent broken a single blade from that original pack!

Maybe not as good as a $200 saw if you're full-time construction, but certainly good enough for occasional use. Got my money's worth! (and the dang saw is still running strong!)

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7490958 04/18/19 06:08 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Their 3/8dr sockets are good... I use them everyday... took my snap-on stuff home. That’s not a joke.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7491154 04/18/19 10:36 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
[Linked Image]

Mostly snap-on

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7491181 04/18/19 11:23 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I buy a few things there but I try to shy away from the tools and hardware.

My first experience was with a strap wrench I bought there. I was installing a free float rail on a AR build and it was toast when I got done with it.

Next experience was with their little rotary tool (like a Dremel). I just needed it to cut some plastic battery trays in half for my boat. Figured with a cut off wheel provided in the same package it would be a piece of cake. WRONG!!!! Thing had near zero power!! Couldn't even cut the soft plastic of a battery tray! Bought Dad a Dremel for Christmas and at 20% power I bet I could amputate a leg if I wanted.

And their hardware is pathetic!!! Tried building a feeder with some sheet metal screws in one of their sheet metal screw kits. HAHA!!! Even with a pilot hole I was ripping the threads off the screws. Went to home depot and got the job done in less time than it took to strip out 3 Harbor Freight screws.

I do buy zip ties there. Hard to beat 100 Dupont zip ties for $1.99 when they are on sale.

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7491190 04/18/19 11:39 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I like HF. As soon as Kroger moved out of their old store I emailed HF and 2 months later Huntsville got HF. Sure beats driving an hour to HF. Not everything's great quality but I've never stripped threads from their screws. JCB, maybe you weren't using a big enough hammer.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7491513 04/19/19 01:23 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
The fewer moving parts their tools have the better

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7491805 04/19/19 08:43 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Oh I forgot about my pair of snap ring pliers I bought there.

I needed to change a bearing on a lawn mower which required removing a snap ring on the rear axle. Quick stop at Harbor Freight and found the pliers I needed and was off to the mower shop for the bearing I needed. I got home and am too embarrassed to tell you how long I spent trying to get that snap ring off, but I was never able to do it with those pliers. You see the center pivot pin was made out of a very soft material (I think it was aluminum) and it crushed on the first attempt to remove the snap ring. After way to long I gave up on those pieces of **** and went to Home Depot for a $10 pair of Husky that are still working just fine even today.

Im hard headed some times but I try to stay away from Harbor Freight when I can now despite the lure of really cheap prices.

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7491919 04/19/19 11:14 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
No argument here. I'll stick with HF. If you're a liberal you'll think I'm a racist but I can live with that.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7491967 04/20/19 12:27 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I buy them for work (shop tools) because the idiots I work with could destroy a 2" ball bearing with a wet noodle.....

I won't buy good tools for them to tear up....if they're gonna break it anyway better to buy the cheap stuff.....

Personal stuff.....not so much....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7492012 04/20/19 01:02 AM
S
Struggle Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I buy them for work (shop tools) because the idiots I work with could destroy a 2" ball bearing with a wet noodle.....

I won't buy good tools for them to tear up....if they're gonna break it anyway better to buy the cheap stuff.....

You should do better at hiring.

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Struggle] #7492465 04/20/19 05:02 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Struggle

Oil field....and that decision is out of my control....I just get whatever hand is dealt to me..... bang

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7492623 04/20/19 10:12 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L

Oil field....and that decision is out of my control....I just get whatever hand is dealt to me..... bang

Often tools are expendable items.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Lazyjack] #7492827 04/21/19 02:46 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Lazyjack

Often tools are expendable items.

Or just a cost of doing business considering what you have to work with......

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Struggle] #7492848 04/21/19 03:12 AM
E
erathar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E

Lmao. You have got to be kidding.

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7492862 04/21/19 03:35 AM
O
Old Shakie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I use tools every day. The welding gloves I bought at Harbor Freight would be falling apart after one days use. I have bought angle grinders and chop saws there and they might last two or three months.....DeWalts (even though also built in China) will last me two or three years. I will not say "you get what you pay for" ....Tools like Snap-on are massively overpriced.

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7493999 04/22/19 04:17 PM
T
thegrouse Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
If you have never purchased a tool that has failed to do the job you should try a few more. I have had several break and leave me in a bind. Now I am much more picky about what I buy there. They do make a nice tool box though.

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Old Shakie] #7494027 04/22/19 05:09 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Using tools every day is not the same as using a tool maybe half a dozen times. I have higher-end tools I use a lot. HF tools are great for the occasional DIYer or for someone interested in a tool but not sure if they'll like it. You can get a HF tool and find if you like it or not. When it breaks and you like the tool, buy a good quality tool. No reason to buy the top of the line tool and find you wasted your $$$.

Re: Say what you want about Harbor Freight tools [Re: Texas Dan] #7494154 04/22/19 08:04 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
For power tools:
- I bought a Bauer 20V drill and built a workbench and several pieces of reclaimed wood furniture.
Had it for about a year and still working well. The only thing I don't like is the motor shoots off sparks as soon as I release the trigger.
The 20V DeWalt I have at work doesn't do that.
- Also bought this cheap rotary tool to fix my SigSauer Mosquito. Did the job without any problem and still working well.
- Got a hot glue gun for the GF to work on some of her crafts. She likes it.

For hand tools:
- All ratchets and accessories I got worked well.
- 2 levels I had worked, but then each had one of their bubble vials leak out. I can still use them.
- A channel-lock pliers I bought had the worse set of teeth on it. Couldn't grip hardly anything.

In general, they're good for the weekend DIYer.
Treat them well, but keep those receipts in safe spot.

Last edited by AdanV; 04/22/19 08:08 PM.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide