Rifle Bipod Recommendations #7490988 04/18/19 06:59 PM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Hello everyone,

I am back! Certainly want to thank everyone for helping me spec out and get my first rifle https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=19686

I am not experienced rifle shooter, yet so I may ask silly questions.

My 2019 goal is to hunt my first deer and hogs. Now its time for me to get back at the range zero my rifle at 100 yards at the bench and practice and practice, and start preparing for my first hunt. I have never hunt before, just one time a friend ranch hunting hogs from his hunting blind

Currently my practice consist of this attached below and squeeze bag to zero the rifle. This works good to get my scope zero and I pracitce this way.

Now i want to prepare for a hunt where I will either be shooting from a hunting stand or laying down. I do not know this part yet.

I would like to remove the sand bags and start practice with a rifle bipod

Questions

1. Should I start practing with the rifle bipod now so i can get use to real word scenario?

2. Which bipopd do you recommend for my rifle please?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Attached Files setup to zero.png
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7490993 04/18/19 07:06 PM
W
watchale Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Caldwell xla ($40) is a cheap pivoting bipod that will get you going. Unless you want to spring for a pivoting Harris or Atlas or one that cost even more than them two.

Last edited by watchale; 04/18/19 07:06 PM.
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491000 04/18/19 07:14 PM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
I'm old school and like the Harris bipod with the pod lock. If your a big guy get the 9" one if not get the 6".

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: angus1956] #7491004 04/18/19 07:18 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by angus1956
I'm old school and like the Harris bipod with the pod lock. If your a big guy get the 9" one if not get the 6".

Thank you angus1956,

I am 5'11" and slim. weigh about 172 lbs

What is a pod lock and what is it used for?

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491017 04/18/19 07:34 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Goodo Texas Boy
Originally Posted by angus1956

Thank you angus1956,

I am 5'11" and slim. weigh about 172 lbs

What is a pod lock and what is it used for?

Both the Caldwell and the Harris pivoting heads have a screw underneath that tightens up to 'lock' the pivot feature. A podlock is a short 2-3" extension that fits this nut, allowing you to quickly/easily lock the pivot without turning the rifle over and futzing with a small, hard-to-tighten nut.

I have two Caldwells, one is fine and the other is not that great. But you can find them for $30-35 if you shop around, compared to $80-100 for the Harris.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491119 04/18/19 10:03 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Where do you hunt and how far are your shots? I've found 6" to be a bit low for clearing grass and brush. 9-13" is my preference and when i went to wyoming I went with 13.5-27" which worked great for seated shots. Nothing wrong with harris or caldwell other than the weight. I just got a Spartan to put on my backcountry gun.

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491178 04/18/19 11:18 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I love bipods for range shooting, shooting off of the hood of a truck, prone, etc.

But I will say this, 99% of the deer and pigs killed in Texas are out of a blind without a bipod.
I have several and truthfully, they never go in a blind with me as they usually are not conducive to their use..

Not resting your rifle on a hard surface, use your hand or some sort of soft rest in a blind window (a 4" piece of 2" diameter pipe foam with a slit cut through it works wonders, cheap and light and quiet)

Keeping the rear of the rifle stable is every bit as important. Anchoring your right elbow against the blind somehow works great and some people use a light bipod to help.

Last edited by ccoker; 04/18/19 11:21 PM.
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: duckhunter175] #7491192 04/18/19 11:40 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
Where do you hunt and how far are your shots? I've found 6" to be a bit low for clearing grass and brush. 9-13" is my preference and when i went to wyoming I went with 13.5-27" which worked great for seated shots. Nothing wrong with harris or caldwell other than the weight. I just got a Spartan to put on my backcountry gun.

duckhunter175,

I live in Houston Texas and I have not found a place to hunt hogs or deer at. I will be going to a paid for guided hunt for both hogs or deer. I will start a new thread with recommended places to hunt in Texas near Houston Texas. This will be my first time actually hunting so I have to research some places.

I do not know how far my shots will be, do you recommend I start this research as well of finding out where I want to hunt? I would like a guided hunt.

Thanks

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 04/18/19 11:50 PM.
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: ccoker] #7491196 04/18/19 11:48 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by ccoker
I love bipods for range shooting, shooting off of the hood of a truck, prone, etc.

But I will say this, 99% of the deer and pigs killed in Texas are out of a blind without a bipod.
I have several and truthfully, they never go in a blind with me as they usually are not conducive to their use..

Not resting your rifle on a hard surface, use your hand or some sort of soft rest in a blind window (a 4" piece of 2" diameter pipe foam with a slit cut through it works wonders, cheap and light and quiet)

Keeping the rear of the rifle stable is every bit as important. Anchoring your right elbow against the blind somehow works great and some people use a light bipod to help.

Thanks ccoker,

That makes sense, placing the barrel of rifle on the window frame of blind, then no bipod is needed.

Perhaps , I should research places I want to shoot hogs and deer first before deciding if bipod is needed or recommended? Would you agree?

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491198 04/18/19 11:53 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
NEVER place the barrel on anything..
the stock only

Really it depends on the type of hunting, a basic 6-9" Harris is a good solid, reliable bipod
I have had one for 20 years and it honestly gets used probably more than my expensive "tactical" ones

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491209 04/19/19 12:10 AM
P
Precision_Shooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Harris or Rockmount

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491242 04/19/19 12:38 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I have had a Harris bipod for 20 plus years. Love mine!

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491244 04/19/19 12:39 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Congrats on finding the right rifle and getting in range time. It's the most important thing you can do. Repeating over and over the trigger squeeze on target. You can do this at home as well, sitting in your living room aiming at something in the back yard looking through the window with your rifle unloaded. It's call dry firing. It' wont hurt your rifle and it can give you the consistency you want. Just rack the bolt and squeeze the trigger when your cross hairs line up with the target. Repeat.....

As Ccoker statetd; I rarely use my Harris bipod for hunting. I use it at the range with a rear sandbag, but where I hunt you will hurt yourself laying prone on the ground. If your hunting in a blind just bring a small sand bag to rest your gun stock on when you shoot.

If you are hunting spot and stalk, you should get a bi-pod that's designed to be carried and not attached to the rifle. This is also very important if you are sitting down in a pasture and need a steady rest or standing up to take the shot. This will be your most challenging shooting without alot of experience yet. I like getting out and moving around but I suggest you stay in a blind for now to observe nature and learn all you can as well as giving yourself a solid shooting rest. When you are ready to spot and stalk, I recommend the Bog Pod or Primos Trigger stick. Get the tallest model so you can use is sitting or standing. Also get the tripod model for more stability.

Start looking in the outfitter section now to line up your hunts. Good luck and have fun......up

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 04/19/19 12:42 AM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491251 04/19/19 12:45 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Harris BRM-S 6"-9"
Add a Pod-Loc

Excellent tool, that will be a friend for life.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491263 04/19/19 01:02 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I think in 35 years of hunting, I have hunted with a bipod 2 or 3 times. That's it. That might change this year though. I am thinking of setting up a tower where I can lay prone and see three feeders from 200-600 yards away and shoot pigs. Other than that, for deer, a bipod just gets in they way in the stand.

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: ccoker] #7491373 04/19/19 04:31 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
NEVER place the barrel on anything..
the stock only

Yes, I agree. I will only place the stock in green box below on something.

[Linked Image]

Really it depends on the type of hunting, a basic 6-9" Harris is a good solid, reliable bipod
I have had one for 20 years and it honestly gets used probably more than my expensive "tactical" ones

Thanks for the recommendation of 6-9" Harris. I think the size of bipod depends on where I am hunting at.

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 04/19/19 04:59 AM.
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7491376 04/19/19 04:58 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Congrats on finding the right rifle and getting in range time. It's the most important thing you can do. Repeating over and over the trigger squeeze on target. You can do this at home as well, sitting in your living room aiming at something in the back yard looking through the window with your rifle unloaded. It's call dry firing. It' wont hurt your rifle and it can give you the consistency you want. Just rack the bolt and squeeze the trigger when your cross hairs line up with the target. Repeat.....

As Ccoker statetd; I rarely use my Harris bipod for hunting. I use it at the range with a rear sandbag, but where I hunt you will hurt yourself laying prone on the ground. If your hunting in a blind just bring a small sand bag to rest your gun stock on when you shoot.

If you are hunting spot and stalk, you should get a bi-pod that's designed to be carried and not attached to the rifle. This is also very important if you are sitting down in a pasture and need a steady rest or standing up to take the shot. This will be your most challenging shooting without alot of experience yet. I like getting out and moving around but I suggest you stay in a blind for now to observe nature and learn all you can as well as giving yourself a solid shooting rest. When you are ready to spot and stalk, I recommend the Bog Pod or Primos Trigger stick. Get the tallest model so you can use is sitting or standing. Also get the tripod model for more stability.

Start looking in the outfitter section now to line up your hunts. Good luck and have fun......up

Pitchfork Predator,

Thanks for your detailed response. Very good recommendation.

I was not aware I can dry fire the rifle many times without damaging the rifle.

It seems like there is many ways to position the rifle and it dpends on where ad how I am hunting. Thanks for describing the different positions to shoot.

I think the best thing for me to do now is to go to outfitter section and pick a hunting location and talk to the owner about how I will sitting/laying/standing when hunting. Then from that I can determine how I need to practice shooting. I currently use sand bags on a bench to practice. But if I am laying down, a bipod will make sense to obtain.

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: ccoker] #7491378 04/19/19 05:14 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G

ccoker,

Thank you for the response.

When you hunt, do you know how the blind will look so you know how to position yourself before you get to the blind?

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491387 04/19/19 07:13 AM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Here is the model number of the Harris bipod I use with the pod lock.
Ultralight bipod Series S Model LM
I use the pod lock to level my guns for longer range shooting.
You can order from Amazon for about $125.00?

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491511 04/19/19 01:19 PM
M
MortgageMan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I have a couple of these and they work very well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312206259508?ul_noapp=true

They are a lot less expensive than a Harris. Maybe they don't last as long but no issues so far. You could buy two of these for less than the cost of one Harris. They are more compact and work for a picatinny rail or a swivel stud mount / sling stud.

It's not what you say, or think, that counts. It is what you DO!
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491545 04/19/19 02:03 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I live in Katy. If you'd like then I think we may be able to meet up at American Shooting Center to actually try a couple. We have the 6-9 and the slightly larger Harris bipods, both fixed. I also have a version from Tiptop that swivels, pans and has notched legs. Been using it a bit for my target rifle recently and I like it. Noticeably cheaper than the Harris bipod alternative, which can be over $100 real fast.

As for the Harris, as much I do agree with other about their quality, are you prepared to spend about 20% of what you spent on you rifle and scope? Asking because if you think that you will be doing much more rifle shooting, especially recreational shooting, then I would say Harris bipod purchased now will be a very valuable asset moving forward.
However if you're not sure, then maybe worth spending a little less here and spending more on ammo to see if you really want to get into rifle shooting in general. The reality is many have hunted reasonably without a bipod and even I have taken shots on game without lowering the bipod legs because it wasn't useful for the shot I had. I feel like some of the perspectives presented here are often from persons who really love this stuff, myself included. So we knowing paying a little extra from some products pay off in the end BUT only if they're used frequently. Most of persons here know they will because they've shot alot and speak from that experience. It is a costly hobby and I myself have seen more than a few guys, haha mostly in Houston, that have gun and gun equipment that isn't used often.

Gonna put my money where my mouth is. I'll let you long term borrow my larger Harris bipod (i need to look for this thing first) if you promise to use whatever moneys you had set aside for a bipod into ammo and shooting. Then at some point in the distant future, hopefully, you will decide how much you actually like bipods and/or rifle shooting and can return it to me then. Trust me, this may be a rabbit hole you might regret getting into. Rifle shooting is an exceedingly fascinating and costly hobby.

Finally, if you do get one then I'd suggest using it often.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491568 04/19/19 02:39 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
You said you are new to hunting, are you new to shooting?

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7491587 04/19/19 03:08 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Btw, Primary Arms has a current sale on Harris bipods. You can pick them up at their shop in Pearland, off Beltway 8 near 288.

https://www.primaryarms.com/AdName+Clearance,Flash-Sale,Sale/SaleName+Harris-Bipods

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: Korean Redneck] #7491666 04/19/19 05:01 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
I live in Katy. If you'd like then I think we may be able to meet up at American Shooting Center to actually try a couple. We have the 6-9 and the slightly larger Harris bipods, both fixed. I also have a version from Tiptop that swivels, pans and has notched legs. Been using it a bit for my target rifle recently and I like it. Noticeably cheaper than the Harris bipod alternative, which can be over $100 real fast.

As for the Harris, as much I do agree with other about their quality, are you prepared to spend about 20% of what you spent on you rifle and scope? Asking because if you think that you will be doing much more rifle shooting, especially recreational shooting, then I would say Harris bipod purchased now will be a very valuable asset moving forward.
However if you're not sure, then maybe worth spending a little less here and spending more on ammo to see if you really want to get into rifle shooting in general. The reality is many have hunted reasonably without a bipod and even I have taken shots on game without lowering the bipod legs because it wasn't useful for the shot I had. I feel like some of the perspectives presented here are often from persons who really love this stuff, myself included. So we knowing paying a little extra from some products pay off in the end BUT only if they're used frequently. Most of persons here know they will because they've shot alot and speak from that experience. It is a costly hobby and I myself have seen more than a few guys, haha mostly in Houston, that have gun and gun equipment that isn't used often.

Gonna put my money where my mouth is. I'll let you long term borrow my larger Harris bipod (i need to look for this thing first) if you promise to use whatever moneys you had set aside for a bipod into ammo and shooting. Then at some point in the distant future, hopefully, you will decide how much you actually like bipods and/or rifle shooting and can return it to me then. Trust me, this may be a rabbit hole you might regret getting into. Rifle shooting is an exceedingly fascinating and costly hobby.

Finally, if you do get one then I'd suggest using it often.

Thank you Korean Redneck for the response.

I appreciate the offer to meet at the American Shooting Center to try your bipods. Thank you very much. You give excellent advice and would enjoy joining you. I will private message you.

I like 10 minutes from American Shooting Center and this is where I go practice. I have not practice shooting in 2 months due to working alot and family things. But now I plan to return to practice twice a month for fun shooting and to get ready fo the hogs and deer.

I will not buy a bipod right now because I do not know the location where I will be hunting or the setup they offer to shoot within. So before I buy a bipod, i want to research some outfitters (deer and hog) and ask them about their shooting positions, then I can decide if I need a bipod or not. I may not need one, only may need a sand bag or a standing bipod. I am not sure yet.

Yes, it is costly, and I rather spend money where its needed for my case: ammo and practice.

Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
I'll let you long term borrow my larger Harris bipod (i need to look for this thing first) if you promise to use whatever moneys you had set aside for a bipod into ammo and shooting. Then at some point in the distant future, hopefully, you will decide how much you actually like bipods and/or rifle shooting and can return it to me then. Trust me, this may be a rabbit hole you might regret getting into. Rifle shooting is an exceedingly fascinating and costly hobby.

Yes, we can speak on this later in private, let me do my research to see if I need a bipod first to reach my goal of hunting hogs and deer this year. I will keep you updated.

Re: Rifle Bipod Recommendations [Re: ccoker] #7491670 04/19/19 05:05 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
You said you are new to hunting, are you new to shooting?

cooker,

I have about 6 months of rifle shoot experience. I took a rifle training at forttexas.us a few months ago. And plan to more training classes from that service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide