Print Thread
Opinions on type of blind #7490870 04/18/19 04:39 PM
H
huck18 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
H
I'm wanting to get opinions on what type of blind I should build on my new duck hole. The dam with the trees is the East side of the tank/pond. I was thinking of buying an old pontoon to use to make a blind and backing it up into the trees on the dam so you would be looking to the west when you hunt. This would keep the sun at your back and have the birds landing across the water South to North as they come in (in theory).

What are yall's opinion, stay with a pontoon or go with standard ply wood blind or expanded metal type blind? Do you like the idea of putting it in the trees and it facing the west or should I look into putting it to the North or South?

Attached Files Duck Hole 1.jpgDuck Hole 3.jpgDuck Hole 2.jpg
Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: huck18] #7490871 04/18/19 04:42 PM
H
huck18 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
H
Also for additional conversation, what type of food would you plant on it, and how?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Last edited by huck18; 04/18/19 04:43 PM.
Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: huck18] #7490874 04/18/19 04:43 PM
K
kman2017 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I always say layouts..... Especially in the late season having a low profile is helpful. They're warm, portable, and can be camouflaged very easily.

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: kman2017] #7490891 04/18/19 05:04 PM
H
huck18 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by kman2017
I always say layouts..... Especially in the late season having a low profile is helpful. They're warm, portable, and can be camouflaged very easily.

I hate layouts (butt gets numb, back is never at the right angle, cold, wet...). I'm wanting something permanent so we don't have to set up, brush and tear down every time.

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: huck18] #7490921 04/18/19 05:29 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by huck18
Originally Posted by kman2017

I hate layouts (butt gets numb, back is never at the right angle, cold, wet...). I'm wanting something permanent so we don't have to set up, brush and tear down every time.

I hate layouts too, I can’t drink my coffee. I would set up multiple blinds all around the pond, and pic spot based on wind direction. That’s what I did when I had my lease, I had a really nice blind, but also had other simple blinds with cattle panel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: huck18] #7490979 04/18/19 06:50 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Pontoon would look pretty good brushed up next to those trees. I don't mind working birds cross wind. Sometimes they work better because they aren't looking right at you when landing.

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: goosebuster] #7491034 04/18/19 08:06 PM
H
huck18 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by goosebuster
Pontoon would look pretty good brushed up next to those trees. I don't mind working birds cross wind. Sometimes they work better because they aren't looking right at you when landing.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

Also this is not a lease, this will be permanent so that may make a difference in opinions.

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: huck18] #7491082 04/18/19 09:19 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Several good ideas. I prefer to be mobile. Until your extremely confident on how the birds are going to work in to your hole I would be cautious about putting a lot of money or effort into a blind. Unless it can be moved around easily.

Like mentioned above putting several blinds out might be a good idea. Or build a nice one and use an A-frame if the need arises.

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: huck18] #7491139 04/18/19 10:23 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I've done the pontoon idea and it didn't work that well. It also fills up with bird crap, wasps and varmints in the offseason.

Either use layouts or take some T-posts and fencing to make a few brush blinds.

They can easily be re-brushed each year and smaller profile.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: BradyBuck] #7491212 04/19/19 12:16 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
I've done the pontoon idea and it didn't work that well.

We need to dig up that post, that should be a THF Classic, because you argued with the forum on that, everyone told you the "Noah's Ark" blind you built would flair ducks but you were hell bent on "ducks do not care". roflmao

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: Guy] #7491227 04/19/19 12:25 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Guy

We need to dig up that post, that should be a THF Classic, because you argued with the forum on that, everyone told you the "Noah's Ark" blind you built would flair ducks but you were hell bent on "ducks do not care". roflmao

I don't deny it....

We had soooooo many ducks opening morning that year. It was down right sickening watching them all flare off...well we actually did shoot 4 limits of ringers that morning lol!!

But all the puddlers weren't having it.

That blind is still out there, has a toilet and everything. We never use it.

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: BradyBuck] #7491249 04/19/19 12:42 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy

I don't deny it....

We had soooooo many ducks opening morning that year. It was down right sickening watching them all flare off...well we actually did shoot 4 limits of ringers that morning lol!!

cheers I think you are dam good dog trainer BTW.

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: Guy] #7491253 04/19/19 12:53 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

I don't deny it....

cheers I think you are dam good dog trainer BTW.

cheers I appreciate it!

Tara is looking good as well!

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: Leonardo] #7496604 04/25/19 04:43 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Several good ideas. I prefer to be mobile. Until your extremely confident on how the birds are going to work in to your hole I would be cautious about putting a lot of money or effort into a blind. Unless it can be moved around easily.

Like mentioned above putting several blinds out might be a good idea. Or build a nice one and use an A-frame if the need arises.

I agree with this and others. One nice permanent blind in the most likely best spot and some other smaller, lower-profile blinds for wind or other changes that might come up throughout the season.

Nice looking spot.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: huck18] #7496711 04/25/19 06:36 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Guy you and Brady need to get a room grin

If it's permanent I'd say get a pit blind and put it where you can...I'd want to be close to that shallow area with all the groceries. But, that's a lot of money to spend year one because as you know as slutty as that shallow area looks the ducks may pay no attention to it...they seem to go where they want not what looks the best to us.

So, my recommendation is next year build a cattle panel blind or A frame or something and see where the ducks want to be and how they act...then put a pit in where you would have to best chance to stack'em up!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: Judd] #7497415 04/26/19 02:20 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Judd

If it's permanent I'd say get a pit blind and put it where you can...I'd want to be close to that shallow area with all the groceries. But, that's a lot of money to spend year one because as you know as slutty as that shallow area looks the ducks may pay no attention to it...they seem to go where they want not what looks the best to us.

So, my recommendation is next year build a cattle panel blind or A frame or something and see where the ducks want to be and how they act...then put a pit in where you would have to best chance to stack'em up!

Slutty or silty?

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7499432 04/29/19 01:35 PM
H
huck18 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by Leonardo

I agree with this and others. One nice permanent blind in the most likely best spot and some other smaller, lower-profile blinds for wind or other changes that might come up throughout the season.

Nice looking spot.

Thanks. I was out there Friday evening setting some cameras and feeder and there were two greater Canada's hanging out right before sunset.

Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: huck18] #7511081 05/13/19 05:49 PM
T
TexasDuckMan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
All you need are some t-posts and two sections of hog fence. A few weeks before each season cut some cedar branches and brush up. You'll be all set from there.

Money cannot buy happiness but its more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle. -John Wayne
Re: Opinions on type of blind [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7511278 05/13/19 10:07 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by Judd

Slutty or silty?

Sorry DH...not checking this forum as much lately. I typed it right, slutty.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide