Forums46
Topics536,994
Posts9,719,232
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service #7377648 12/15/18 02:44 PM
B
Bentley Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me what firmware version they are using on their standard Armasight Zeus 640 3-24x75mm (60Hz)?.......If anyone still uses this model besides me.

Recently I purchased a used Armasight Zeus 640 3-24x75mm (60Hz) to replace an Armasight Zeus 336 3-12x42mm (30Hz) unit that I had for 5 years. My old unit had a firmware update that allowed me to adjust gain and AGC speed among a few other features. When I got the 640, I noticed it didn't have these features. I checked around and found that indeed there were 640 scopes just like mine that had a firmware upgrade back in 2016 where the new gain features were incorporated. I sent the 640 in to Flir after receiving an RMA and shipping label. Long story a little shorter, Steve at Flir said there was no update on the firmware for my model and only the PRO line had an update. I think he hasn't looked deep enough. Flir may not have an update, but I bet if they compare their firmware version to whats in my scope now, they will realize that they have an updated version. I asked Steve to insure my scope has the latest firmware and to call me before he ships it back to me. I will post an update when he gets back to me...if he gets back to me.

Flir's customer service seems to be there, they seem to be somewhat trying, but they really need to pick up the damn phone. I get a call back for about every 6 calls I make. Emails pretty much go unanswered. I wouldn't make so many phone calls to them if they just keep me in the loop of what status my scope repair is in. Both times I sent scopes in, they never acknowledged receipt. I had to call several times and email support to try to get a live person. Going right to voicemail was the norm. No call back was typical too. Now I realize I'm just some individual and not a night vision dealer or military contract, but I'm still a customer.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7399638 01/09/19 05:19 AM
B
Bentley Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
I finally received my scope back after 6 weeks and several discussions with Steve in repair. Today when I opened the box, there was a complete replacement unit! It had the firmware I wanted and looked to be the newer generation. So far it works ok, but I'm still dialing it in and the temps have muted the thermals. Not sure what happened or why they couldn't update my scope, but this replacement seems about the same and I'm happy I finally got it back.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7399651 01/09/19 05:50 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Hell yea up

[Linked Image]
Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7399939 01/09/19 05:02 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Glad it worked out well, but holy crap, 6 weeks is a long time. The lack of communication seems normal for FLIR. realmad

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7400585 01/10/19 05:07 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I have a friend that has had his in for repair. It's right at 2 months. He says the communication is extremely poor. It's like your scope went in a black hole. Communication is essential to any business. Unfortunately, it is more the norm in the industry.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7406857 01/17/19 03:44 AM
B
Bentley Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
UPDATE: Well I decided to send back the replacement scope after having it a week. It's pretty obvious after watching some subjects moving in my FOV that this isn't running at 60Hz. Yep! They shipped me a bum scope. It looks more like 15Hz. Now I'm sure it'll be another 6 weeks to hear back that they read the RMA and are thinking about it. Crap! I guess I'm at their mercy. Can't get a hold of anyone in repair, but I did talk to a couple nice guys that were interested in helping me. they said they're getting more customer service people to help soon. We'll see it actually happens.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: dfwroadkill] #7406866 01/17/19 03:50 AM
B
Bentley Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by dfwroadkill
I have a friend that has had his in for repair. It's right at 2 months. He says the communication is extremely poor. It's like your scope went in a black hole. Communication is essential to any business. Unfortunately, it is more the norm in the industry.

Exactly how I felt. I made sure I sent the RMA and an explanation letter with mine. Unfortunately after having it a week, it's going back. Not refreshing anywhere near 60Hz. Took me a while to figure it out, I thought it was just me, but after putting the scope on a stable bench and watching subjects and cars cross my screen. They stuttered and were slightly blurry. i thought it as just my shaky hands until further research and watching 60Hz youtube videos. They were the same Tau2 core but butter smooth. Well, without a scope again frown

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7407782 01/18/19 02:59 AM
B
Bentley Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Glad it worked out well, but holy crap, 6 weeks is a long time. The lack of communication seems normal for FLIR. realmad
Yep. Today before I actually mailed their so called new scope back, I tried calling Steve and also Ron. Again, no answers, no call backs, no replys to the emails, so out the door my scope went. I most likely wont hear back for several weeks...I mean months. I sent a perfectly working scope that just needed a firmware update and got back a scope that works worse than what I sent.
crying

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7412991 01/23/19 09:15 PM
B
Bentley Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
My scope landed at Flir this morning. I actually got Steve on the phone and he said he would send out another new unit. I still feel that there's a bit of condescension in his tone when I explain what I think the issue is. Either way, he said it would ship within days. i'll keep all posted. stir

Last edited by Bentley; 01/23/19 09:18 PM.
Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7426840 02/07/19 04:16 AM
B
Bentley Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
So OTS repair looked at the scope and said he found absolutely nothing wrong. My friend and I both saw the scope stuttering while panning or while objects crossed the FOV. Either I wasnt describing the condition well enough or OTS didnt take enough of a good look. It's a subtle issue but definately there. Anyway. they said they would send another new unit out when they come in on backorder in 6-8 weeks. Frick!

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7428284 02/08/19 08:00 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Yikes. I just sent mine in a couple hours ago - same model but 30hz version. Picked it up Wednesday. Tried to sight it in last night... and in less than 20 shots through a 6.5 Grendel... the scope went out of focus. I thought the barrel was heating up and causing a blur. In the final 2 shots - the screen blurred and then on the last shot it got real blurry. That wasn't the case. Let the barrel cool (though it wasn't barely warm), removed it, and still couldn't get it back into focus. Seems like the recoil from the 6.5 Grendel shook something loose. Broke within 24 hours of picking it up. Ugh.

Was looking forward to a weekend of hunting with it. Pretty much the most disappointment in a purchase that I've ever felt. This is the most expensive "toy" I've ever acquired. My feeling today is like a kid waking up on Christmas morning and not getting the present he/she asked for... lol...

Hoping it gets returned faster than the time frames you mentioned. Fortunately, I bought it through a dealer and they have been very responsive. Kudos to Night Vision Outfitters.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: JDP Ranch] #7436107 02/17/19 01:57 AM
B
Bentley Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
I have heard of focus issues with these because the front lens retaining ring is loose. Not sure if that's true. Hopefully you get it back quick, but that's never been my experience with OTS repair in New Hampshire.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7438797 02/19/19 08:44 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by Bentley
I have heard of focus issues with these because the front lens retaining ring is loose. Not sure if that's true. Hopefully you get it back quick, but that's never been my experience with OTS repair in New Hampshire.

Oof. That's what I was afraid of. I could see how recoil - even from a lighter caliber like 6.5 Grendel - would shake the lens if the retaining ring is loose. I read on another forum that someone was able to apply pressure to the front lens to make it go back into focus. Didn't see that post until after I sent mine in. Would've at least allowed me to use it as a spotting scope during my last hunting trip before sending it in (if that trick worked).

Mine arrived at FLIR last week. Figured I'd wait a few days before bugging the dealer or FLIR about the status. Praying I'll get mine back in a reasonable time since the issue may be common.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: JDP Ranch] #7439299 02/20/19 12:58 PM
B
Bentley Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
I've had different scopes there 3 times in the last 4 months and the only time I got it earlier than 1 month was when I called and told him to send it back unrepaired. It took 6 weeks for them to even look at my Zeus that only needed a firmware upgrade. I sent mine to the OTS fascility in Nashua NH. I'm sure thats probably where you sent yours. They are severly under staffed in this department so getting a response to phone calls will be hit and miss. Expect at least 4-6 weeks for a return.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7453941 03/08/19 09:13 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Yep - I sent mine to Nashua. Today marks a month since I mailed it. What a painful wait. Apparently... as of yesterday... they haven't looked at it yet realmad

Been out to my property twice since sending it. Going again in a week. At this rate... probably won't have it back by then.

It would be nice if they had some sort of notification system from their support team. Seems like a common theme with FLIR keeping support keeping customers in the dark. Sending in a $5k product and having to press for updates is not good business. Even a short email saying "We received your unit. Please expect X amount of weeks for it to be processed" would be sufficient. I imagine they waste a lot of time fielding support emails/calls asking what's going on.

Probably won't go with FLIR for my next thermal. On the market for another one for my father/friends to use and as a backup. Really like the specs on their other units, but I'd be hard pressed to support a company who doesn't support their customers.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7455489 03/11/19 02:47 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I'd really suggest reaching out to FLIR when this process is done, try finding the highest level person you can, or sending them private messages via their social media accounts and let them know you are a FLIR owner, you like their optics but you'll be choosing another brand next time due solely because of their customer service. Talking with your wallet works to a degree but the problem is, many times these companies don't realize (or want to admit) the reason people are leaving their brand. They will try to change 100 things but never the real root of the problem.

Modern companies just will not admit that customers really care about service. It's the quickest corner they can cut to save a lot of money and it works if every company does it, but you have another choice with excellent customer service, their hand can eventually be forced.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7457363 03/13/19 02:29 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Good idea Jason.

I do have some contacts at FLIR. One of the companies they acquired sometime ago uses the software my company publishes. I don't usually mix business with pleasure (or displeasure roflmao)... but I'm tempted to mention it the next time I speak to them.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: JDP Ranch] #7457688 03/13/19 08:54 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Good deal, I'd definitely do it. I think sometimes when companies get this big and get used to dealing mostly with their dealers, they lose focus of what the end user needs/wants and how big of a deal customer service really is. It doesn't matter how much we (as dealers) tell them and complain, they figured we're just a bunch of cranky dealers....which is sometimes true. grin It's also easy for them to look a their sales and make up all kinds of reasons why they are down or not growing like they should be etc but they rarely want to admit that their own poor customer service could be to blame. I'm not speaking just about FLIR, I'm talking about most big companies in general.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7464970 03/22/19 11:55 AM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Got my FLIR Zeus back yesterday from service. Damn thing STILL won't focus. Now the lens is rattling inside.

Haven't even had the opportunity to hunt with it and looks like I'll have to send it back to FLIR.

Beyond frustrated..........................

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7478941 04/05/19 08:59 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Just an update...

FLIR had amazingly quick turn around with the Zeus. They sent me an overnight shipping label on 3/26 and I got a new one sent back 3/28. The new one has worked flawlessly so far.

Also bought a PTS736 several weeks ago that had issues with turning on. Filled out the RMA online, got a shipping label, and a replacement is being sent. Mailed it in the faulty unit on Tuesday and the replacement is scheduled to be delivered on Monday. Great timing as I'm taking a break from hunting this weekend but will be heading back to to the ranch next week.

Seems support has improved based on a few other reports I've seen across various social media channels. Figured I'd provide an update in case anyone sees this thread and gets scared off by FLIR products. The image quality is amazing on both my units and it's hard to beat the specs for the price.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7481702 04/08/19 07:42 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Glad to hear its all coming back together finally

[Linked Image]
Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7489495 04/17/19 03:59 AM
B
Bentley Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
UPDATE for my Zeus 3-24x75 (60)
I emailed Steve in repair yesterday and he said the replacements were now coming in May. I called sales and the girl there said mid May. (It's been 3 months and almost 7 months from the very first unit going back in October.) Crap. Steve offered to send a 30 Hz again for me to use in the mean time but I declined. I got a phone call today from my relative saying I got a package. Dammit if it wasnt a package from Flir. I told him I didnt want the 30Hz. When I opened it, it was a brand new 60Hz complete with papers and all the accessories. Who hoo! I guess Sales direct shipped the April units and it hadn't got back to steve. Picture is awesome and I'm super stoked. The wait times are long sometimes, but their service and attitude is improving.

Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: Bentley] #7489718 04/17/19 02:47 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Great news!

[Linked Image]
Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: JDP Ranch] #7490593 04/18/19 12:18 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
Just an update...

FLIR had amazingly quick turn around with the Zeus. They sent me an overnight shipping label on 3/26 and I got a new one sent back 3/28. The new one has worked flawlessly so far.

Also bought a PTS736 several weeks ago that had issues with turning on. Filled out the RMA online, got a shipping label, and a replacement is being sent. Mailed it in the faulty unit on Tuesday and the replacement is scheduled to be delivered on Monday. Great timing as I'm taking a break from hunting this weekend but will be heading back to to the ranch next week.

Seems support has improved based on a few other reports I've seen across various social media channels. Figured I'd provide an update in case anyone sees this thread and gets scared off by FLIR products. The image quality is amazing on both my units and it's hard to beat the specs for the price.

Don't know if you had the same trouble, but I had several times my 536 would not power up. I thought it was the batteries, but I'm pretty sure it was when I removed the batteries, then plugged in the scope to the laptop to download pics/videos. The scope powered up using the input USB cable and I offloaded the pictures/videos then shut down. Later on, put in batteries and it would not boot up- even trying different sets of batteries. When I plugged in the USB cable again (connected to the laptop or a charger) it would start up. So the last time I offloaded videos I left the batteries in and when I removed the cable and turned the unit off and then back on it worked fine.

[Linked Image]
Re: Armasight Zeus Firmware Upgrade and Flir's Customer Service [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7490702 04/18/19 02:19 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH

Don't know if you had the same trouble, but I had several times my 536 would not power up. I thought it was the batteries, but I'm pretty sure it was when I removed the batteries, then plugged in the scope to the laptop to download pics/videos. The scope powered up using the input USB cable and I offloaded the pictures/videos then shut down. Later on, put in batteries and it would not boot up- even trying different sets of batteries. When I plugged in the USB cable again (connected to the laptop or a charger) it would start up. So the last time I offloaded videos I left the batteries in and when I removed the cable and turned the unit off and then back on it worked fine.

Mine worked fine for the first few hours of using it and then gradually got worse and worse. This was without plugging it in. Got to the point where I could get it on after turning it off/on for 15 minutes. It'd stay on but as soon as it was turned off... it wouldn't turn back on again. Sent it into FLIR and they issued a new one. No problems with the new unit after 5 hours of use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide