Print Thread
How to Lube #7488128 04/15/19 09:20 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
OK, apparently I have been doing something wrong with lubing brass cases for resizing. So...

I was told there is such as thing as "too much" lube on a case. Also that case necks should not have lube. AND I have this thing that is now a grungy pad that apparently I'm suppose to roll my cases onto that is supposed to help. I lay about 7-8 cases on their side, spray One Shot liberally on the case body only and then I proceed to roll it on said pad. Btw, it was a new pad when i got it but i had stuck case problems from the beginning.
Admittingly it is generally not smart to do things without knowing fully why, but here I am getting cases stuck more often than others. So questions:

1. I saw once here a post that you can indiscriminately spray down hundreds of cases at a time, neck and all, and then simply wait 20 minutes before running them through the die. I tried this with fresh cases that are primed to strighten the neck and now I have a die with a stuck case that is fully primed. Who tries this method and actually works? I need some tips.

2. Is there such a thing as too much lube on a case before running up the FL resizing die? FYI, i always wipe down the outer part of each case before priming and every bit of brass prep has already been done.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7488143 04/15/19 09:45 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
You are combining 2 methods into one, which won't work. The pad is for imperial sizing wax. You put sizing wax on the pad, roll the cases on the pad and size your cases. I don't like this method for larger sizing jobs. It's too messy, doesn't get lube on the inside or outside of the necks very well, and is slow. The other method is spraying Hornady OS on the cases from 4 different sides. Let them dry 1-2 minutes while setting up your sizing die, then size them once they are dry. I like lube on the case necks and inside the case mouth. It allows for smooth sizing in all locations. I then tumble the lube off for about 30 minutes to an hour. If you spray too much lube on the cases, you will have some build up and the pressure from this build up will begin to put dimples into the case shoulder area. If that happens, wipe the case neck and shoulder area off with a towel, and then size. I sometimes will wipe off 3 out of 5 to keep some lube in the die in that area. Sizing cases should be smooth like butter. You can also take your die apart and spray some lube inside the die. Just don't get enough to where it will build up in there. A Q-tip after spraying will help make sure it's about right.

1- I don't size primed cases (unless I absolutely have to, but that's another topic!).

2- Yes, you can have too much lube and you can have too little. Just like the little bear, you need it "just right".

Read all you can about how to resize and reloading steps. Not on forums, but on the mfg products websites and such. There is plenty of info there if you look.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7488172 04/15/19 10:21 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I switched to One Shot years ago, not long after it came out. I stand the cases up in a loading block and spray down at a 45 degree angle from 3 sides coating them well and that includes case necks insde and out. Let it dry and size them. On the 50BMG I use Lee case lube very liberal as it actually has holes in the die for excess lube to run out of. Yes it does run out but those holes but no dimpled necks and no stuck cases. Small case shoulder dimples will straighten out when you shoot them.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7489168 04/16/19 09:10 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
Also that case necks should not have lube

This is possibly why you're having trouble. The expander ball needs a tiny bit of lube too. I use Hornady's UNIQUE™ CASE LUBE. I lube inside the neck a tiny bit in 1 out of about 5 or so. A little goes a long way. I thought the point of the spray lube was to eliminate the pad and add greater speed.

Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7489295 04/16/19 11:12 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Just buy the Dillon lube and follow their instructions. They even tell you to steal a cookie sheet from your spouse.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7489599 04/17/19 12:41 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Haha, looks like I let something through the cracks. In my defense, I knew next to nothing when I got the equipment from someone and faced EXTREME info over load for someone like me. Must have missed details in this step.

I will give this some more thought on how exactly I'm going to do this. I like the idea of spraying a bunch down with OS but the last time it didn't work very well but now I think my key mistake was being too stingy with the spray. I think in general I've been too cautious about over-lubing it sounds like and quite frankly not sure why I think that. I just figured I needed to man up and teach myself how to free stuck cases from dies.

Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7489620 04/17/19 12:59 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I use Hornady Unique wax lube, dabbing my finger and thumb in it periodically while applying to neck and shoulders. Works just as well as Imperial, IME. It is easy to remove. Never had a stuck or dented case.

Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7489644 04/17/19 01:41 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I use OneShot now days pretty much exclusively. I use the same technique as Chad mentioned making sure I get a little spray into the necks on rifle cases. On pistol I pour a few hundred into a large Tupperware container spray the entire batch a few seconds the put the lid on and shake. Makes the progressive run smoother.

I have a friend who has two Dillon 550’s that he loads all his rifle ammo on. He asked for help setting up his annealing machine so I was there assisting and he started to resize some brass and brought out a rolling pad and some wax lube. I had noticed a can of One Shot and asked why he didn’t use it. He said it didn’t work for him so of course I had to see how that was possible. I loaded up a tray of brass and handed it to him and he gave a quick spray passing over them once and I said there’s your issue. I sprayed them from a downward angle all four sides and he laughed Yep that might be my problem!
Hey we all started not knowing this stuff and it’s a great time we live in that most things can be viewed and learned in a few minutes of UTube. I learned from books and trial and error as I had no mentors when I started but I am always learning new tricks and techniques from folks here and other sites with a wealth of knowledge. The saying goes learn from others mistakes because you won’t live long enough to make them all yourself is a truism.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7489652 04/17/19 01:50 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Haha, looks like I let something through the cracks. In my defense, I knew next to nothing when I got the equipment from someone and faced EXTREME info over load for someone like me. Must have missed details in this step.

I will give this some more thought on how exactly I'm going to do this. I like the idea of spraying a bunch down with OS but the last time it didn't work very well but now I think my key mistake was being too stingy with the spray. I think in general I've been too cautious about over-lubing it sounds like and quite frankly not sure why I think that. I just figured I needed to man up and teach myself how to free stuck cases from dies.

I saw recently (maybe here on THF) some guy did an experiment to see if one shot would affect powder negatively. Through the various experiments, even when he soaked the powder in one shot before loading, it still had no negative effects on velocity or SD...the opposite happened. SD was actually decreased with the powder soaked in One Shot. So, I don't think it is possible to over lube with one shot.

I have found that OS works best for me if I make sure that the inside of the case mouths get a liberal dosing as well.

Re: How to Lube [Re: unclebubba] #7489658 04/17/19 01:55 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by unclebubba

I saw recently (maybe here on THF) some guy did an experiment to see if one shot would affect powder negatively. Through the various experiments, even when he soaked the powder in one shot before loading, it still had no negative effects on velocity or SD...the opposite happened. SD was actually decreased with the powder soaked in One Shot. So, I don't think it is possible to over lube with one shot.

I have found that OS works best for me if I make sure that the inside of the case mouths get a liberal dosing as well.

That test was reported on here by Dstroud

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7489720 04/17/19 02:48 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I loaded my first 5 rounds ever using a RCBS lube pad and RCBS lube. I put too much on them and it dimpled the shoulders of 3 of the 5 casings. I still had them for a long time as I didn't want to shoot them, looking back I would shoot them without issue and it would probably knock the dimples right back out. I guess I must have thrown them away.

I found with the lube pad I could run a lubed case and then an unlubed one and it seemed to keep too much lube from building up in the die etc. and having dimpled cases. Now I just use a healthy dose of One Shot and call it a day.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How to Lube [Re: kmon11] #7489798 04/17/19 04:06 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by kmon1
Originally Posted by unclebubba

That test was reported on here by Dstroud

I remember seeing that and thought their results were a good reason to try spray OS in the way mentioned on this thread. That's when I had my first stuck case in a long time.

Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7489868 04/17/19 05:30 PM
W
watchale Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
The brass is clean correct?

Re: How to Lube [Re: watchale] #7490098 04/17/19 08:48 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by watchale
The brass is clean correct?

Yes. I always tumble clean and then individually wipe with a clean cotton cloth each piece of brass.

Re: How to Lube [Re: Korean Redneck] #7490515 04/18/19 04:45 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
One thing that can get you a stuck case is going from say Imperial Sizing Wax to One Shot and not cleaning your die first. It seemed to me like the wax is not compatible with the alcohol that’s n One Shot and it caused a couple of near stuck cases for me before I figured it out. I cleaned the die good then sprayed inside with OS and no more issues.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide