Print Thread
Weeds #7488978 04/16/19 05:35 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
My yard is probably in the worst shape it has even been in regards to weeds since we built the house 20 years ago. The Dallisgrass or crabgrass is absolutely ridiculous. I have used MSMA in the past with limited success. My local feed/seed guy recommended it again. Only problem is, it only comes in 2.5 gallon jugs. That much would last me 20 years, I don't need that much. My yard is St. Augustine, and MSMA will kill St. Augustine. I was going to spot spray it and kill little at a time doing as little damage to my lawn as possible.

So I said all that to ask this question....why wouldn't Roundup do the same thing? It's going to kill the grass as well, but why wouldn't it have the same effect on the weeds?? I can buy it in much smaller quantities and its a ton cheaper.

[Linked Image]
Re: Weeds [Re: jrfan] #7488985 04/16/19 05:40 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The StAugustine will take over the crabgrass when it warms up a little. I had a good bit of dallas grass my first two years. I grubbed it out with a sharp garden hoe. Don't think I could do that again.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Weeds [Re: jrfan] #7489014 04/16/19 06:20 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Whoa not so fast. The question is what happened to your turf? Heavy shade with Oaks? Poor fertility? pH out of wack? A well maintained St Augustine will outgrow Crabgrass and Dallas grass. It’s a bit early to fertilize but you can start with frequent mowing. Your weeds will not handle that. If shade is a problem you can fix that now. I would NOT go with herbicides on St Augustine. You can grow your way out of this problem. Good luck.

Re: Weeds [Re: Walkabout] #7489110 04/16/19 08:28 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Walkabout
Whoa not so fast. The question is what happened to your turf? Heavy shade with Oaks? Poor fertility? pH out of wack? A well maintained St Augustine will outgrow Crabgrass and Dallas grass. It’s a bit early to fertilize but you can start with frequent mowing. Your weeds will not handle that. If shade is a problem you can fix that now. I would NOT go with herbicides on St Augustine. You can grow your way out of this problem. Good luck.

I have no idea. It was probably one of the best lawns I've had last year in the 20 years we've been there. I have 75-80% sun, one lone Bradford pear tree. House faces west. Only thing is my neighbor to the north (rent house) has a fairly large open lot that is mowed a fraction of what it should be. It is certainly not treated in any way. Definitely where the weeds come from. I have been able to keep them at bay for the most part, until now.

[Linked Image]
Re: Weeds [Re: jrfan] #7489158 04/16/19 08:58 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by jrfan
Originally Posted by Walkabout

I have no idea. It was probably one of the best lawns I've had last year in the 20 years we've been there. I have 75-80% sun, one lone Bradford pear tree. House faces west. Only thing is my neighbor to the north (rent house) has a fairly large open lot that is mowed a fraction of what it should be. It is certainly not treated in any way. Definitely where the weeds come from. I have been able to keep them at bay for the most part, until now.

Won't help you this year - but next year when your st. augustine is still dormant, but your weeds are starting to grow - spray with round-up. DO NOT spray if there is any sign of life in your st. augustine - round up will kill it - bermuda can handle round-up at the right application rate, but st. augustine is very herbicide sensitive.

Re: Weeds [Re: jrfan] #7489162 04/16/19 09:06 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Just tell everyone that you are an employee of the Whitetail Institute and your lawn is research. That should get you out of mowing as well.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: Weeds [Re: jrfan] #7489270 04/16/19 10:41 PM
L
Lazyjack Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I would start digging it out now. After temperature highs are 80 degrees. You can apply round up with a foam brush to individual unwanted plant.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide