Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sept WY Elk Gear? #7444935 02/26/19 08:29 PM
T
tShawnB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
So I drew for archery elk in WY. We'll be hunting about an hour or so north of Jackson Hole 9/7-9-11. I need recommendations for gear, mainly clothing, boots, etc...

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7445041 02/26/19 10:16 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Clothing is easy base layer, mid lay and outer layer. Boots that’s the tough one. It’s very subjective.

I like up top I like a light weight merino base layer shirt, grid fleece hoody, and puffy. Plus rain jacket.
Down low. Kuiu zip off merino base layer, prana Zion pants and Gaiters. Merino socks
Solid colors work great too, now is best time to buy, winter close outs

Boots break down to two mind sets,

light and minimal break in with decent support but limit life span- saloman 4d quest,
Heavier, re-soleable, stiffer lots of support-Hanwag, lowa, kennetrek, Schnees crispi, zamberlan etc.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7445223 02/27/19 01:48 AM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Good advice right there. You could get a cold front that brings cold and deep snow so be prepared for that. That early weather should be good but you never know.
Put some bear spray on that list too.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: Wytex] #7445558 02/27/19 01:47 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Foot wear is very important.

When I was in Alaska hunting mountain goats, there was a lot of climbing with rocks every where. I wore boots with lug bottoms and good ankle support and did fine. Cohort with me wore Maine guideboots with soft rubber bottoms and he really suffered.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7446330 02/28/19 10:11 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Agree on the Maine Guide Boots. I bought a pair as work boots for my place. Every time I stepped on a rock I knew it. I put a negative recommendation on their site. It was gone in 2 days.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7454040 03/08/19 11:24 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Boots really comes down to what kind of country you will be in. There is no one size fits all there but if one would it would be the Saloman quest 4d mentioned above.

Clothes is simple for that time of year. Light base layers, outer layer, and down in case a front comes through. Rain gear just in case. Here is what I would have packed based on what I own but all the companies have something comparable.

Base Layer - Kuiu merino long sleeve top and zip off bottoms
Outer - Sitka heavyweight core pullover and ascent pants, Marmot Scree pants if temps will max out in the 50s
Rain Gear - Sitka Stormfront (you can get by with lesser its just what I have from hunting Alaska)
Down jacket- Sitka Kelvin
Socks - Darn Tough full cushion
Gaiters - RAB e-vent
Boots - La Sportiva
Pack- Stone Glacier in the size needed for the hunt

Just those layers while moving will keep me good down at least into the 30s without the down jacket on.

Last edited by bphillips; 03/08/19 11:25 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7454604 03/09/19 05:45 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I like the Lowa Renegade boots. A HECS suit would be great, whether you use it for a base layer or outer layer. Either way you need something warmer with it.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: bphillips] #7455651 03/11/19 01:35 PM
T
tShawnB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bphillips
Boots really comes down to what kind of country you will be in. There is no one size fits all there but if one would it would be the Saloman quest 4d mentioned above.

Clothes is simple for that time of year. Light base layers, outer layer, and down in case a front comes through. Rain gear just in case. Here is what I would have packed based on what I own but all the companies have something comparable.

Outer - Sitka heavyweight core pullover and ascent pants, Marmot Scree pants if temps will max out in the 50s
Rain Gear - Sitka Stormfront (you can get by with lesser its just what I have from hunting Alaska)
Gaiters - RAB e-vent
Boots - La Sportiva

Just those layers while moving will keep me good down at least into the 30s without the down jacket on.

Thanks for the list. Lot's to choose from out there. I've looked at Kuiu, Sitka and First Lite. All seem to be top notch gear.

Last edited by tShawnB; 03/11/19 01:36 PM.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7455739 03/11/19 03:20 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tShawnB
Originally Posted by bphillips

Gaiters - RAB e-vent
Boots - La Sportiva

Thanks for the list. Lot's to choose from out there. I've looked at Kuiu, Sitka and First Lite. All seem to be top notch gear.

Yes they are all top of the line. Right now great closeout deals can be found on Sitka from 30-60% off. I prefer Sitka most of the time simply because there is no guessing if the clothes will fit. If the size guide matches you it will be true but the same cannot be said for Kuiu. The zip off bottoms only Kuiu makes though and those things are great. If you're good with solids lots of companies that make hiking gear and clothing will get you the same type of clothing for even less in most cases also. My Marmot Scree pants ran me around $80 and the comparable Sitka or Kuiu would be around $200

Last edited by bphillips; 03/11/19 03:20 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7455765 03/11/19 03:51 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Mountain hardware is running 50% off including sleeping bags and tents. Ghost whisper puffy is my favorite 7.5 oz, if you prefer synthetic the kora is great also. Sleeping bag it’s hard to beat the hyperlamine in synthetic or ratio in down

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7472233 03/29/19 11:46 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Don't overlook the snow gaiters listed. You don't want to be caught in the snow without them, or life gets miserable in a hurry.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7485957 04/13/19 05:16 AM
F
FRA Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
I hunted outside Casper the first week of this past October. We went from bright, sunny, and relatively warm the first few days to a front coming in and dropping the temperature 30 degrees in an hour or so to a continuous drizzle the next day to a snow storm the following. I took all the cold weather gear, but didn't need much of it while hunting. I stuck with my usual Asolo hiking boots and never had cold feet. In the mornings I wore a beanie, but swapped to a cowboy hat later in the morning. I almost always had a button down long sleeve shirt on over a t-shirt or thermal shirt, and started the day with a Carhartt jacket.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7487516 04/15/19 02:31 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
What unit? What style hunt? Take some bear spray!

I drew for Area 60 (Thorofare) and going Oct 9.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: RedSnake] #7488629 04/16/19 12:58 PM
T
tShawnB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RedSnake
What unit? What style hunt? Take some bear spray!

I drew for Area 60 (Thorofare) and going Oct 9.

Not sure of the unit but we'll be about an hour north of Jackson Hole, 2nd week of September for archery elk.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7517636 05/22/19 02:44 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Bear spray and a pistol you know how to use.
With the weather we're having might need that cold weather snow clothing. Most of the mountains just got snowed in again.
That far north you may need some cold weather clothing in Sept. Check the weather right before you go up, no sense in not being comfortable if it cools down.
Make sure your sleeping bag is rated below zero too.

I have some good friends who's family just sold their family cabin that is behind the gate in The Thorofare. An outfitter bought it . Too many grizz now for them to keep going back to hunt.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7553327 07/10/19 08:54 PM
A
AnythingSportsman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
A good layering system is a must, doesn't matter what season. Camo patterns don't matter near as much as your movement does. If you're looking for great baselayers that don't break the bank check out BlackOvis brand base layers, they usually have them on sale cheaper on www.camofire.com at least once a month (You need to check daily). If camo is your thing, I've been running www.legionoutdoors.com since this past season and like it, New company with good gear, worth checking out.

The BO Baselayers take days to smell as well. They are better scent control in my opinion than any "Scent Control" camo you'll buy anywhere else.

There are tons of options that aren't Sitka, First Lite & Kuiu, and again camo doesn't matter as much as movements do. The BlackOvis is a 50/50 blend merino wool which is much like First Lite I believe, but without the same price tag.

A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.
www.AnythingSportsman.com
Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7558562 07/17/19 03:30 PM
T
tShawnB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Thanks for all the input guys. I've went, or am going, the route of having a set of all three of the big brands, Sitka, First Lite & Kuiu and I may try some BlackOvis as well. Not any heavier outerwear yet as I'm going to wait till a couple of weeks out to see how the weather may be acting. My outfitter has told me expect lows in the 30's in the morning and highs in the 80's in the afternoon so I've been planning accordingly. The good thing about this hunt is we can actually drive into base camp, so I can take too much and not have any worries. I haven't hunted like this in about 15 years as I've been raising a kid, but now that he's doing his own thing, I can do these types of hunts again so I figured I'd just try one of everything and hopefully find out what's best for the next adventure. One thing I haven't decided on yet is a day pack. We'll be on horseback and I'm archery hunting so any input you guys have regarding that would be appreciated. I don't need anything too big and bulky and though cost isn't an issue, I do look for the best value.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7558581 07/17/19 04:09 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
We have a bunch of different Badlands day packs, all are good. Spouse likes a lumbar type pack, sits lower on your back.
I would say get one that does not stick out past your body width, makes it easier to get through thick stuff without rubbing it.
Depending on your body type sometimes a womens sized pack is a little smaller and "hides" behind you better.
I also like one with straps that can cinch your pack down flatter to your back when not full and for layers you take off during the day.

Practice shooting with your pack on.

Layers are what you need and good rain wear, a good rain jacket anyway pants are optional.
If you go merino base layers, lightweight and heavier, a fleece mid layer and a wind breaking outer you should be fine. I throw in a heavier wool shirt, my King Of the Mountain bushman gets worn almost every archery season as my jacket. The only cotton I ever wear hunting up here now is a long sleeve camo cotton shirt during warm archery hunting and antelope hunting.
Good quiet, light and medium weight pants. Have enough clothes that you can dry out your wet ones . Tall grass on dewy mornings will wet your pants to the knees if no gaiters.
Keep in mind temps could be markedly colder too but plan on mild weather. Take some unscented baby wipes, keep some in your pack for a midday, sweaty wipe down.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7558594 07/17/19 04:25 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I suggest a pack with atleast a frame sheet or light aluminum stays. It will carry any weight better over your hips and make your shoulders free and less sore. 2 liters of water alone adds up over foot miles.

I try to support hunting company’s as much as possible

What I’ve used or played with

Kuiu venture 2300(all around everyday pack, gym, day hunting etc)
Elberstock X2 (great pack limited torso adjustment)
Mystery ranch pop up 35 (probably the best DIY day pack option, it kind of made the X2 single hardly obsolete).

Any kind of overnight hunting I use my EXO (bag size from 2000-5500). all the bags chinch down really well

If you are strictly going to run just a day bag one of the above is a solid option but I would buy some OR dry bags for your stuff going in the paneers

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7558662 07/17/19 06:08 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Good call on the pannier liners.
For me a day pack is smaller than my hauler, I want a low profile pack that just carries my day needs but can haul out a load of boned out meat if needed. The hauler will be in camp for after a harvest.
More pockets the better if I can remember which ones I put my gear in.

As BOBO mentioned a good fitting hip belt is key with an internal frame. The Badlands will have both if chosen wisely. The brands he mentioned are top notch, I just have a few Badlands that have worked well and lasted for many years. Their warranty is also great.
You have many options now for great packs.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7559240 07/18/19 12:56 PM
T
tShawnB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I'm assuming these packs you guys mentioned will work well on horseback? Also, as far as noise factor, do any of these packs squeak, rattle or make any noises that might not be conducive to spot and stalk?

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7559275 07/18/19 01:40 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by tShawnB
I'm assuming these packs you guys mentioned will work well on horseback? Also, as far as noise factor, do any of these packs squeak, rattle or make any noises that might not be conducive to spot and stalk?

Yes they are smaller sized(capacity) narrow packs with hip belts. Horse back is an issue with packs that go above the head. Even then it’s just a conscious effort to make sure you duck further.

Noise is subjective but, ones I mention I have used elk hunting and no noise issues.

You can get away with allot of noise Archery elk

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7559291 07/18/19 01:55 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
I can not speak for the brands BOBO mentioned, they have great reputations though.
The Badlands are pretty quiet, materials and squeaks.
We do not ride a horse so all our hunting is spot and stalk. That is why I prefer a smaller pack that hides behind you. Also one that does not stick up right behind your head.
Badlands had a 50% off sale last Sept on select packs.
Any time you have a separate pack and frame I think some squeaks may show up.
Most packs are made of fairly quiet material these days.
The spouse still hunts for elk and the Badlands work just fine.
I would certainly go try some packs on, do you have a Scheel's or some place to try them ? Lay hands on before buying so you can see the size of the packs and test the quietness.

I see packs for sale occasionally on Rokslide and Hunt Talk, also lots of advise by folks who use them. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/backpacks.16/

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: Wytex] #7559323 07/18/19 02:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Wytex
I can not speak for the brands BOBO mentioned, they have great reputations though.
The Badlands are pretty quiet, materials and squeaks.
We do not ride a horse so all our hunting is spot and stalk. That is why I prefer a smaller pack that hides behind you. Also one that does not stick up right behind your head.
Badlands had a 50% off sale last Sept on select packs.
Any time you have a separate pack and frame I think some squeaks may show up.
Most packs are made of fairly quiet material these days.
The spouse still hunts for elk and the Badlands work just fine.
I would certainly go try some packs on, do you have a Scheel's or some place to try them ? Lay hands on before buying so you can see the size of the packs and test the quietness.

I see packs for sale occasionally on Rokslide and Hunt Talk, also lots of advise by folks who use them. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/backpacks.16/

I got friends that have used badlands and no complaints other then occasional zipper pull.

I have a Bad lands Axis which is special make for cabelas. Great archery hunting from tree pack, but it’s non hip belt or frame sheet version. I will say the fabric is quieter than any of my condura’s fabrics packs

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7559975 07/19/19 12:14 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
FYI the kuiu venture 2300 is on sale for 175

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide