Print Thread
Snake ID #7485947 04/13/19 04:38 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Don’t know much about copperheads, but don’t think this one was one...
Please tell me I was right to let it go alive.

Attached Files 9CAE0EB1-67AA-452A-A2DB-9CF6D8A3AFE4.jpeg
Re: Snake ID [Re: Texas buckeye] #7485952 04/13/19 04:52 AM
E
ErikL Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
E
u right, i think a rat snake.

Re: Snake ID [Re: ErikL] #7486007 04/13/19 11:52 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ErikL
u right, i think a rat snake.

up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Snake ID [Re: Texas buckeye] #7486041 04/13/19 12:59 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Yes, NOT a Copperhead.

Attached Files Southern-Copperhead-1.jpg

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Snake ID [Re: Texas buckeye] #7486046 04/13/19 01:05 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Well played. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Snake ID [Re: Texas buckeye] #7486060 04/13/19 01:19 PM
N
NDN98 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Looks like a very useful rat snake. Good snake, for sure!

Re: Snake ID [Re: Texas buckeye] #7486253 04/13/19 04:19 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Look at his head...it's straight with his body, no definition. Venomous snakes have a much different shape to their head...I always think of it as heart shaped, but whatever, lol. And you can tell by their eyes, if you want to get that close to them.

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Snake ID [Re: Texas buckeye] #7486255 04/13/19 04:20 PM
Master Plumb Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Correct Rat snake

Re: Snake ID [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7486319 04/13/19 05:43 PM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Well played. up

[Linked Image]
Re: Snake ID [Re: d.g.ruff] #7486346 04/13/19 06:37 PM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted by d.g.ruff
Look at his head...it's straight with his body, no definition. Venomous snakes have a much different shape to their head...I always think of it as heart shaped, but whatever, lol. And you can tell by their eyes, if you want to get that close to them.

Head shape is not a reliable ID key. Most nonvenomous snakes will puff up their bodies and flatten their heads to mimic a venomous snake. Western rat snakes like this one will even use a rattlesnake posture and rattle their tails against debris to mimic a rattlesnake. And it fools people all the time.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Snake ID [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7486376 04/13/19 07:26 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Head shape is not a reliable ID key. Most nonvenomous snakes will puff up their bodies and flatten their heads to mimic a venomous snake. Western rat snakes like this one will even use a rattlesnake posture and rattle their tails against debris to mimic a rattlesnake. And it fools people all the time.

Well, it's reliable enough for me. And I've seen them do that with their tail, too. It makes me wonder why they go thru all that trouble. I mean, why not mimic a grizzly bear instead of a rattlesnake? He could just rear up and holler RAAWWWRRRR as loud as he could. I'd say screw all that puffin up stuff...….IF I was a rat snake.

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Snake ID [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7486380 04/13/19 07:30 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

I've had one do that to me. He was in our life preserver box eating the mice that had been chewing on our life jackets. I opened the box and he started ratting with his tail. Scared me for a second until I figured it out. LOL.

Re: Snake ID [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7486387 04/13/19 07:40 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Interestingly enough, this one did just that. Initial “quick glance” showed the flattened head and made me think copperhead, but then the more I looked at him I saw the streamlined head and round beast eyes which made me think harmless. As I was rounding him up to go outside, he started with the tail thing. Cracked me up...I was like “boy there ain’t no rattles back there so stop all that trying”

I eventually picked him up in the dogs food dish and threw him outside the house. That’s what’s troubling. This snake was lying against my screen doors. I don’t know how he got in as the doors were closed. I have family that would crap a solid brick if they saw that in the house

Re: Snake ID [Re: flintknapper] #7486411 04/13/19 08:19 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Yes, NOT a Copperhead.

"A friendly"

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Snake ID [Re: d.g.ruff] #7486478 04/13/19 09:12 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

As previously mentioned 'head shape' (triangular) is a poor indicator (by itself) as to whether or not a snake is venomous. There are many harmless snakes that either have a fairly triangular head or will flatten their heads to make it look so. The elliptical pupil of the eyes is another clue (for the pit vipers), but again...anomalies exist so that (in itself) should not be used to positively identify a snake.

If we are to use a 'single' feature as a diagnostic tool..it should be the presence of a 'pit' between the eye and nostrils. All of the indigenous Pit Vipers in the U.S. have this. (Rattlesnakes, Copperheads & Moccasins/Cottonmouth).

The Coral Snake (not a Pit Viper but also venomous) does NOT have a pit, has round pupils and does not sport a triangular head....but fortunately is colored such that it is readily identifiable (if you know the pattern).

Lastly (the indigenous snakes of the U.S.) if venomous will have a single row of scales after the Anal Plate/Vent, harmless snakes have two rows.

Of course, many of these identifying features require you to be quite close to the snake in order to make a conclusive identification. So making an I.D. under field conditions becomes understandably difficult for the layperson.

Last edited by flintknapper; 04/13/19 09:13 PM.

Re: Snake ID [Re: Texas buckeye] #7487689 04/15/19 01:15 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

I eventually picked him up in the dogs food dish and threw him outside the house. That’s what’s troubling. This snake was lying against my screen doors. I don’t know how he got in as the doors were closed. I have family that would crap a solid brick if they saw that in the house

Lmao, I hear ya. My wife found a dead one, about a foot long, in a room we hardly use, lol. She's been quite worried ever since. It gives me plenty of chances to scare the crap right out of her....payback for all the griping she does.

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Snake ID [Re: d.g.ruff] #7487708 04/15/19 01:38 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Lmao, I hear ya. My wife found a dead one, about a foot long, in a room we hardly use, lol. She's been quite worried ever since. It gives me plenty of chances to scare the crap right out of her....payback for all the griping she does.

Yes, my wife found a little, bitty Ribbon Snake in the Kitchen and just about freaked out. How it got in the house I have no idea. But I had to listen to threats of 'moving' for about a week. Ridiculous.

Attached Files RS1.jpg

Re: Snake ID [Re: flintknapper] #7487806 04/15/19 03:24 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Yes, my wife found a little, bitty Ribbon Snake in the Kitchen and just about freaked out. How it got in the house I have no idea. But I had to listen to threats of 'moving' for about a week. Ridiculous.

Pretty one. Love those little things....
up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide