Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Rustler] #7482539 04/09/19 07:42 PM
M
Misfire Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M

Originally Posted by Rustler
Shouldn't be any crankshaft walk with only 55,000 miles on it. Something you'd see on a high mileage, severe duty or abused engine.

Now if someone rebuilt it at some point easy to do a crappy job and end up with stuff like that.

Could also be the timing cover that the sensor is located on is having “issues.” Come to think of it, it does have a slight oil leak at the bottom of the cover.. perhaps that is causing some issues.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Misfire] #7482549 04/09/19 07:53 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Misfire
Could also be the timing cover that the sensor is located on is having “issues.” Come to think of it, it does have a slight oil leak at the bottom of the cover.. perhaps that is causing some issues.

Don't thnk so, the timing cover being loose wouldn't cause the sensor to move toward the reluctor. I would take that CPS and go to OReillys or a GM dealer and ask to see a replacement for the vehicle and compare the two. Rock Auto shows a AC Delco to be $51.

Assuming this didn't happen when the vehicle died (reluctor breaking) and it's been this way for some time, probably not the problem, but still too odd to ignore. It looks like a fresh grind, not one long oil soaked.

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieCTx; 04/09/19 08:03 PM.
Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Rustler] #7482762 04/10/19 12:01 AM
M
Misfire Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M

I would pay very close attention to the alternator connections & compatibility with the new ecu.
An ecu expecting to see inputs from and being able to control outputs going to an alternator mis wired or going to an incapable / older alternator will wreck a new ecu also.

This advice led me to examine the alternator this afternoon. What I found is a large single power cable for the battery connection. The smaller three wire connector had two wires cut off under the loom and the third runs to a warning light on the dash. That’s it, nothing I can see runs to the ECU from the alternator. The part that baffles me is where the voltage gauge in the dash is reading from. It shows an almost constant 14v when the truck is running.

Now I gotta go and try to figure out where the cut altinato wires are supposed to go..

You guys have given me a lot to check out and think about. Thanks!

Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Misfire] #7482843 04/10/19 01:00 AM
H
Hooker Offline
Patriarch
Patriarch
H
"I’m about as far as I can go with my limited knowledge and abilities."

Wow, you ought to get inside my brain for a few

Reading all of this and I think I have a problem (Right, TexasLefty ?)

"Happiness is more important then spilled jelly"

Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Misfire] #7482984 04/10/19 02:34 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I'm no mechanic but that CPS does not look right.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Misfire] #7483284 04/10/19 01:34 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I may be confused on which generation ecu and wiring harness your using on which generation engine & alternator.
GM gas is not my area of expertise. I know enough to get by.
I / we do not do any dissimilar ecu/pcm re pinning to wiring harness or engine/body management or electrical componentry swaps other than addition of a/c, audio, gauges / minor gadgets.
Power train swaps or mating newer tech to older vehicle we only use correct ecu/pcm/bcm to correct/compatible wire harness to correct/compatible components eliminating any extras where they terminate, never up stream.

I also might have confused you with the alternator talk.
I said -
If you find the ecu is damaged at all, I would pay very close attention to the alternator connections & compatibility with the new ecu.
Connections and compatibility of the ecu/wiring harness and alternator if you find out the ecu was damaged.
Contrary to popular belief it is extremely rare for ecu's/pcm's to fry themselves, usually it is one or several input's that cause damage.

Going from an internally regulated 3 wire to an internally regulated 1 wire alternator isn't usually any problem.
There is debate which method is 'best', but dropping the exciter wire, field/jumper or both isn't going to create problems like you're experiencing.

I am not positive on this, seems with the ignition in the run position I'd think you'd have voltage going to the CS, if not try while cranking, if no voltage detected it aint never going run until the CS returns the trigger signal.

Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Misfire] #7483475 04/10/19 04:40 PM
M
Misfire Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
The PCM swap that was performed was fairly popular about 10 years ago before the plentiful availability of surplus LS drivetrains. They call it the “411” swap because 411 is the suffix of the part number of the newer PCM. Supposedly it gives the user much more tune-ability than the older PCM and you are able to squeeze all available hp from the vortec engine. Personally, I wish the previous owner had left the original PCM in there.

If the new PCM I have on order doesn’t solve this problem I may very well replace the entire harness with a stock harness and go back to the original PCM.

Last edited by Misfire; 04/10/19 04:41 PM.

Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Misfire] #7483483 04/10/19 05:01 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
What did you do about the Crank sensor? That being dead will cause loss of spark and what you showed is clearly abnormal.

Charlie

Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: CharlieCTx] #7483501 04/10/19 05:18 PM
M
Misfire Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
What did you do about the Crank sensor? That being dead will cause loss of spark and what you showed is clearly abnormal.

Charlie

I installed a new sensor and put .060” of shims under it. .030” min clearance and another .030” to compensate for the contact. My plan, when/if if I get it restarted Is to keep a close eye on it and worry it if it continues. Probably not the best laid plan but all I’ve got right now.

Last edited by Misfire; 04/10/19 05:24 PM.

Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Misfire] #7483502 04/10/19 05:18 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I would stop buying parts, and buy a test light, then break out the wiring schematics. This buying parts and Hoping it fixes the problem is gonna get very expensive.

Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7483503 04/10/19 05:20 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
I would stop buying parts, and buy a test light, then break out the wiring schematics. This buying parts and Hoping it fixes the problem is gonna get very expensive.

and rarely successful.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Misfire] #7483563 04/10/19 06:23 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Seems the OP has used wiring diagrams & all the testing procedures & tools at his disposal and isn't using the parts swapping & hope method.

At least to me.

Thanks for the advice and help! This truck is a bit of a Frankenstein. This engine and transmission was transplanted into my Studebaker several years and is on a stand alone harness. The original owner swapped the original 1997 black box ECU for a newer generation “411” ECU with custom tune. This requires re-pinning the connectors over to the newer ECU. The truck has been running great for months and several hundred miles since the swap so I feel fairly confident that the ECU swap was done correctly.

I have checked every fuse, relay, wiring harness, tested for voltage at all sensor inputs/outputs and all other troubleshooting that I can do with my limited knowledge. Everything seems to be in order. My primary concern now is that the Crank position sensor has somehow fried the ECU. I do have an OB port and there are no DTCs. Unfortunately, I unplugged the battery to test wiring continuity on several sensor circuits and didn’t know it would erase DTCs. I thought they were stored until manually erased. Now I know better..

I believe the distributor is turning as I had to “bump” it over to line the cam position sensor for removal.

I’ve bought most of the parts from Orileys and NAPA, always opting for the higher quality parts they offer.

I’ve gone over the CPU re-pin quite extensively and have found two ground leads called out in the wiring schematic for the new CPU that are not installed. There is only one ground per connector terminated and the schematic calls for two. This is due to the old harness not having wires to go to the second ground positions. I did not notice this until after the truck quit running. (Really paid no attention to the conversion because the truck was running great.) this could easily be the root of my problems. I have already spoken to the “tuner” and he has a newly programmed CPU on the way along with extra pins so I can add the two additional grounds.

I had read somewhere that if the Crank Pos Sensor picked up metal filings enough to make contact it could “short a circuit.” That may be total nonsense which is why I was asking here.

If running additional grounds and installing a new CPU doesn’t fix the motor I’m going to have to find someone to take the truck to. I’m about as far as I can go with my limited knowledge and abilities.

Again, thanks for the help and advice guys!

The question I still have is did you test voltage into & out of the CS?
Ignition in run position & while cranking.

If the CS is shot and or if shorts even if intermittent in the wiring or connector or anywhere along the path it aint gonna start, gotta have a signal to initiate bang.
The CS senses the magnetic field of reluctor wheel passing by thus sending a 'pulsed (if you will) signal' to the ecu.
No signal received - the ecu doesn't know the engine is turning / attempting to start. In turn it (ecu) doesn't trigger any of the other sequential in & outputs necessary to start / run.

Is the battery still fully charged at this point?

Re: Crank Position Sensor? [Re: Rustler] #7483708 04/10/19 09:39 PM
M
Misfire Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
The question I still have is did you test voltage into & out of the CS?
Ignition in run position & while cranking.

Yes and no.

I did check voltage to the sensor and voltage was present when keying the ignition. I did not have the foresight to check voltage leaving the sensor. I’d have to tap into the wire while it is plugged to the sensor. Because the sensor was destroyed and had to be replaced I never tested for an out going signal. I’ll do that this evening after work.

The battery is 100%

The short answer to all these questions and issues is to drop it off at a shop and pay someone else to deal with it. I may eventually be forced do that but my intentions (and budget) when I bought this thing was to do “everything” myself. I’m certainly no mechanic but I have learned and had fun tinkering with it. Ive actually done A LOT of work/improvements/mods to the truck and this is the first time I really feel like my back is against the wall. There are moments that I want to throw in the towel but I’m not quite there yet so thanks for hanging in there with me.

Last edited by Misfire; 04/10/19 09:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide