Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,736
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: J.G.] #7483289 04/10/19 01:44 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
In your experience how much is too much on the face?

More than a few thou?

Line up the bore and skim the face is all Remington has to do from the factory. Not sure how anyone can screw that up confused2

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: Sneaky] #7483297 04/10/19 01:50 PM
C
CptKaos Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by CptKaos
I like the 700 series actions and I like accurate firearms, trueing the face, lugs and threads, upgrading the trigger and barrel, and a properly bedded stock are required to get optimal accuracy out of any rifle, regardless of brand

Larry

Like ‘em all you want. That simply isn’t true.

How is this not true? I stated "optimal Accuracy" not acceptable accuracy.
I have been shooting Hunter for Score benchrest for 15+yrs and have never seen a factory rifle finish at the top or near the top.

Larry

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: CptKaos] #7483311 04/10/19 02:05 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I like the 700 series actions and I like accurate firearms, trueing the face, lugs and threads, upgrading the trigger and barrel, and a properly bedded stock are required to get optimal accuracy out of any rifle, regardless of brand

Larry

I have been shooting Hunter for Score benchrest for 15+yrs and have never seen a factory rifle finish at the top or near the top.

Larry

I bet you've seen a factory action with a great barrel, expertly maachined do it though.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: titan2232] #7483313 04/10/19 02:06 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by titan2232

More than a few thou?

Line up the bore and skim the face is all Remington has to do from the factory. Not sure how anyone can screw that up confused2

They're not going to chuck it in a 4 jaw, and indicate it to center. That equals man hours and money loss.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: CptKaos] #7483318 04/10/19 02:14 PM
P
Precision_Shooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

Larry

Larry

When was the last time you saw anyone in the top ten shooting a factory rifle?
If they aren't shooting a factory rifle, then obviously they aren't going to win with one.
Top shooters do not buy off the shelf rifles... For good reason, sure.
Would they still be a top shooter if they were using factory rifles? Only if the entire competition was limited to factory rifles, but then, you likely wouldn't see a Savage or Remington in the top 10 unless they were allowed to make certain modifications and still qualify as "Factory".

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: J.G.] #7483319 04/10/19 02:15 PM
C
CptKaos Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Larry

Larry

I bet you've seen a factory action with a great barrel, expertly maachined do it though.

Yes I have and as best I can remember they were all Remingtons.Not saying it couldnt be done with another action. I am just saying to get "optimal accuracy" out of a factory action some expert machine work and great components are needed.

Larry

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: Precision_Shooter] #7483325 04/10/19 02:21 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Precision_Shooter

Larry

Larry

When was the last time you saw anyone in the top ten shooting a factory rifle?
If they aren't shooting a factory rifle, then obviously they aren't going to win with one.
Top shooters do not buy off the shelf rifles... For good reason, sure.
Would they still be a top shooter if they were using factory rifles? Only if the entire competition was limited to factory rifles, but then, you likely wouldn't see a Savage or Remington in the top 10 unless they were allowed to make certain modifications and still qualify as "Factory".

You literally just made his point...

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: CptKaos] #7483333 04/10/19 02:27 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Larry

Larry

It's about preferences around here.
With certain folks Remington is the very bottom of the barrel, to be hated on & belittled at every opportunity, no matter what you'll not change their minds.

If you own and are pleased with Remingtons be happy & don't fret about someone else's opinion, what matters is what works best for you.

If you actually look, shoddy workmanship and poor QC examples can be found from any brand rifle, even custom rifles and supposed top shelf rifle component makers / manufacturers.
Not to mention 'semi custom'.

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: Rustler] #7483341 04/10/19 02:36 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Right, Rustler

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: J.G.] #7483352 04/10/19 02:43 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
[Linked Image]

No!! Only Remington haters allowed!!

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: J.G.] #7483360 04/10/19 02:46 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
^^Right, Rustler

It's hell eatin em live
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: J.G.] #7483368 04/10/19 02:55 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I like to get "FACED" on Saturdays bolt

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: J.G.] #7483462 04/10/19 04:26 PM
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T

More than a few thou?

They're not going to chuck it in a 4 jaw, and indicate it to center. That equals man hours and money loss.

I can’t say I’ve seen anyone chuck an action in a 4-jaw to do squaring work. An action fixture in a chuck or mandrel between centers is the way. Just chucking a round action directly in the chuck and indicating the front true doesn’t make the rear of the action true/bolt hole parallel with the lathe spindle. Especially considering the OD of the action probably isn’t concentric with the bolt hole.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7483474 04/10/19 04:38 PM
P
Precision_Shooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

No, his point was comparing apples to oranges.

Talking about competitions and that no factory rifle has ever won.... Because he didn't mention that it is NOT a factory rifle competition. If it were, then factory rifles would win...

Apples to Apples is talking about a particular purpose-built competition rifle winning or not.

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: TDK] #7483476 04/10/19 04:43 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I don’t get a post like this? If you post Chevy beats Ford, you’re going to get a bunch of opinions-and none will agree! The good thing is this is called the TEXAS HUNTING FORUM and about 95% of the members shoot game under 200 yards with every gun known to man and they could care less about what anyone uses.

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: TDK] #7483486 04/10/19 05:04 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TDK

More than a few thou?

I can’t say I’ve seen anyone chuck an action in a 4-jaw to do squaring work. An action fixture in a chuck or mandrel between centers is the way. Just chucking a round action directly in the chuck and indicating the front true doesn’t make the rear of the action true/bolt hole parallel with the lathe spindle. Especially considering the OD of the action probably isn’t concentric with the bolt hole.

Yessir. I was trying to give a shorter reply. Of course, your way is correct.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: Precision_Shooter] #7483515 04/10/19 05:32 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Precision_Shooter

No, his point was comparing apples to oranges.

Talking about competitions and that no factory rifle has ever won.... Because he didn't mention that it is NOT a factory rifle competition. If it were, then factory rifles would win...

Apples to Apples is talking about a particular purpose-built competition rifle winning or not.

So do you want OPTIMAL accuracy, OR a rifle off the shelf at Walmart? Those two things do not go hand in hand.

I’m sure you can take a bone stock F150 to the drag strip and race against top fuelers, but what outcome do you expect?

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 04/10/19 05:36 PM.

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: Huntmaster] #7483524 04/10/19 05:45 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
I don’t get a post like this? If you post Chevy beats Ford, you’re going to get a bunch of opinions-and none will agree! The good thing is this is called the TEXAS HUNTING FORUM and about 95% of the members shoot game under 200 yards with every gun known to man and they could care less about what anyone uses.

I figured you had been around long enough to realize that we have to cuss, discuss, and disgust every little topic sideways, slantways, forwards, backwards, and upside down.

And then go sit at our feeder 68 yards away bolt

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7483528 04/10/19 05:51 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted by Huntmaster

I figured you had been around long enough to realize that we have to cuss, discuss, and disgust every little topic sideways, slantways, forwards, backwards, and upside down.

And then go sit at our feeder 68 yards away bolt

That ain't right. My feeder is exactly 68 yards from my stand.

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7483542 04/10/19 06:03 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I think you’re right.

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: J.G.] #7483548 04/10/19 06:07 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
“there is another brand, I have several of, that only get a barrel, nothing more. Untouched action, untouched bolt, untouched threads same trigger, and they shoot”

Fireman: what brand is that? Thanks

Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: J.G.] #7483555 04/10/19 06:16 PM
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
Probably Tikka. Honestly I don’t know how they can produce them at the price they sale at. Just having the bolt raceway wire EDM machined is a several hundred dollar proposition.

On the topic of Savage, I’m pretty convinced their overall good accuracy for an inexpensive rifle is due to the floating bolt head setup and the simplicity in machining of the barrel and barrel nut setup.

Or maybe it’s the goat sacrificing...

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: TDK] #7483593 04/10/19 07:17 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TDK
Probably Tikka. Honestly I don’t know how they can produce them at the price they sale at. Just having the bolt raceway wire EDM machined is a several hundred dollar proposition.

On the topic of Savage, I’m pretty convinced their overall good accuracy for an inexpensive rifle is due to the floating bolt head setup and the simplicity in machining of the barrel and barrel nut setup.

Or maybe it’s the goat sacrificing...

Agreed.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: JJH] #7483598 04/10/19 07:21 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by JJH
“there is another brand, I have several of, that only get a barrel, nothing more. Untouched action, untouched bolt, untouched threads same trigger, and they shoot”

I've got a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 7mm-08 Ackley Improved, .223 Ackely Improved all on Tikka actions, same trigger and bolt. The actions were not touched, and they all shoot excellent.

My bud that does the machining fit a barrel to his action, ran it 200 rounds, and wanted a 6mm Creedmoor, so he took it off. He screwed it to my action, it head spaced perfectly and shot excellent. I've since shot out that barrel. But I thought it was pretty cool that a barrel was fit for Tikka serial number "X" and it also fit on Tikka serial number "Y".

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: This is why Remington 700 actions should be faced. [Re: J.G.] #7483655 04/10/19 08:34 PM
C
CptKaos Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by JJH

I've got a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 7mm-08 Ackley Improved, .223 Ackely Improved all on Tikka actions, same trigger and bolt. The actions were not touched, and they all shoot excellent.

My bud that does the machining fit a barrel to his action, ran it 200 rounds, and wanted a 6mm Creedmoor, so he took it off. He screwed it to my action, it head spaced perfectly and shot excellent. I've since shot out that barrel. But I thought it was pretty cool that a barrel was fit for Tikka serial number "X" and it also fit on Tikka serial number "Y".

That is cool.
Curious as to how you started with the tikka action for your builds?
What advantages do you experience with the AI over the sami spec 7mm-08? My goto hunting rifle is a 7mm-08 built on a 722 action krieger barrel, MPI kevlar stock( very early in the syn stock days) Action was machined by an old Army AMU smith. Always thought about rechambering to AI.

Larry

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide