Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7482297 04/09/19 01:36 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
No stabilizer? Does it vibrate or jump at the shot?

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: kmon11] #7482773 04/10/19 12:12 AM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Originally Posted by kmon1
When you draw back and getting ready to shoot and something doesn't feel right, lower it down and give yourself a minute or two then strt the process over. Continueing when it doesn't "feel right" is a godo way to practie and develope bad habits. You see already that if it feels wrong it will be which is a good thing. Took me a long time on the golf course to start backing off and do the preshot routine again to get ready, same goes for Archery if it doesn't feel right it will not be right

A couple threads from the past that might help you along

Thread 1

Thread 2

If you get stuck along the way PM me and if you can get a few ideos of you shooting I might can help you out. Have done it fo others

Definitely will do. I'm checking out the other threads now!

Thanks!

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: JABHunting] #7482775 04/10/19 12:14 AM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Originally Posted by JABHunting
No stabilizer? Does it vibrate or jump at the shot?

I don't really feel any excessive vibration. As for "jumping" at the shot, I'm not sure I know what you mean. When I release there's definitely a "whoomp" that I can feel. Nothing crazy or distracting, just feels like a lot of energy being released. I haven't shot with a stabilizer yet because I want to know what Im' feeling before going to the next accessory. KISS principle for now, and change as I grow.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7482941 04/10/19 02:08 AM
S
SpiralHorn Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Congratulations on your new bow purchase and welcome to your newest obsession. Bowhunting is a truly intriguing sport - offering the dual challenge of fine-tuned archery combined with “sneaky-Pete” close-encounter hunting. Just reading this thread I’ve been thoroughly enjoying sharing in your excitement and enthusiasm. Keep the faith — there’ll be frustration and disappointment along the way, but there is nothing sweeter than when it all comes together and you’re overcome with emotion when walking up on that first mature buck taken by your arrow.

It’s also a right-of-passage that you’ll have to suffer through volumes of suggestions, tips and coaching from all of the veteran Bowhunters on this and other sites. We all mean well and every once in while will offer something useful.

Welcome aboard!!!

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7483246 04/10/19 01:03 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
As others have said, the need to practice, practice, practice is paramount. It's totally different drawing down on an animal as opposed to a target, and the adrenaline can make you completely forego your shooting process. Daily repetition helps tremendously to focus on the step-by-step details of the shot during those killing moments when it's much more difficult to hold steady. I purchased my first compound bow in 2017, and have bow hunted for the past two seasons. I've killed a few, missed a few, and lost a couple. Lost a doe this past season after making what I thought was a perfect double-lung shot, only to find the blood trail stop after 75 yards, and 5 hours of searching. I have re-dedicated myself to shooting more, more frequently, and at longer distances (out to 80 yards). Shooting longer distances, even though I would never shoot a deer at that yardage, greatly increases accuracy for shorter shots.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7483905 04/11/19 01:33 AM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Thanks guys. It's definitely been a humbling experience. I've shot literally every day since coming home with the bow and I've already felt some improvements and have noted on areas where I can use some coaching. I need to get some good pictures so I can have my form critiqued. But the biggest thing I'm focusing on is grip and patience. I have a tendency to overgrip and to rush my shots. Discipline is the word.

I'm excited to take as much direction as I can. It's been a thrill getting to this point so who knows what's next. All i know is I can't wait for the next day out in the yard flinging a couple arrows. I've got a small postage stamp yard so I've been practicing at about 12 yards. Once my groups get more consistent and I feel comfortable I'll adjust and try for 20.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7483942 04/11/19 02:07 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Put a jersey glove ,cotton glove on your grip hand ,it will help with your grip. Forrest

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: kmon11] #7527898 06/05/19 07:22 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by kmon1
Originally Posted by ChrisB
I'd go shoot a few and see if there are characteristics that you like about certain bows. I've personally found I don't like short axle to axle and lightweight bows. I'm not nearly as accurate with them. A bow with an adjustable draw length may be a good idea for a first bow until you have established your anchor point and shot for awhile. I started off with a couple of cheaper PSE bows and learned later there is a big difference in starter bows and flagship bows. I've never seen an abused bow but I'm sure it would be very obvious if one was.

I wish it were true, I have seen and repaired some and sent others to their respective pro shops for repair. Sometimes the effects of some abuse is not readily apparent and may not show up until later on after more firings of the bow. It may take a good bit of shooting for small stress fractures to appear on some dryfired limbs. not every bent cam is noticeable without examination with a straight edge. Just saying most of the time it can be apparent of abuse but other times not. Hoyt is the only manufacture I remember that says its bows will survive a dryfire.

I hunt with a 32" axle to axle bow for the handiness in treestands and ground blinds but I shoot ones with 34" better. For most of my bow hunting I have switched back to Traditional bows.

good point on dry fired bows up

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide