Print Thread
ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? #7480901 04/07/19 10:12 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Looking at getting one, I had one on my F-150 King Ranch in the past. I really liked it.

Has anyone bought one lately? I know they make 3-4 different models .

Anyone have one? can you remember what you paid?

I'm not a real fan of the roll-up covers.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7480935 04/07/19 10:51 PM
L
LG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
I have back flip g2 and like it, X tang makes one that I wish I would have purchased but out of stock for my rig.. your looking at about $850 ish

Never look a monkey in the eye
Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7480967 04/07/19 11:31 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Had one on a Tundra that I owned. I didn't care for it due to bed load height restrictions. Next truck will have Decked Truck Storage system.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481122 04/08/19 03:01 AM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
look at the bakflip, have one on my 14 f150 and really like being able to open part of it for loads.
when all open it rests against the rear of the cab but mine has never shown any wear spots on it.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481308 04/08/19 01:18 PM
U
upsslim Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
U
Got a fiberglass one from Ford when I bought my truck. I love it. If you want to haul a big load just take it off. Takes less than 5 minutes. Painted to match the truck. I think it was about $1200 installed.

Last edited by upsslim; 04/08/19 01:19 PM.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481322 04/08/19 01:40 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481372 04/08/19 02:24 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
ARE is one of the better brands...consequently you pay for it.

I've had them all because I flip trucks so often and I normally go with the best deal I can find, used a lot of times. That will be the best for keeping the water out too. The one piece fiberglass is by far the best but the downside is the height restriction on hauling stuff and it's heavy so it's not easily removed by yourself. The Undercover is second but it doesn't fit as well and I had one that the clear just started delaminating...they weren't a lot of help standing behind it so I've only had one Undercover as I try to stay away from their brand due to that lousy experience.

The flips and rolls are not much different on keeping water out. Everyone of those will leak some...it might just be a teaspoon around the tailgate or it could be buckets if it wasn't shimmed properly during installation. This truck I have a Bakflip F1...found it on Marketplace for $100. Shockingly, it's been one of the best flip covers I've had for leaking but I spent about a half a day getting the rails shimmed correctly.

Good luck Buzz...you know until you buy a Ford you're just putting lipstick on a pig though, right grin bolt

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481455 04/08/19 03:39 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I've haven't known anyone that had/ has a paintable version of an undercover, the classic, SE & base model Elite are ABS with no finish, paint or layer that can possibly delaminate.
I have one from an old pickup that's been hanging on the west side of my well house for about 14 years, when I spray the dust off of it with the water hose it looks 2 years old.

All the undercover one piece style are as water proof as any full topper, if installed correctly and the proper model is used.
Weigh about 60lbs, easily removed, comes with a wall hanging hook for storage when removed.

The problem undercover has is their dealer/sales network, many stock just a few models and mount them on various brand pickups instead of using the specific model made for a specific brand pickup.
Yes, their paint/finish warranty is all but nonexistent on painted models.

ARE & Leer are definitely top of the line in fiberglass bed covers, the fit & finish is better. With a price to match.
Naturally paint sticks better and lasts longer on fiberglass than it does to ABS composite / polymer blend.

WeatherTech offers a tri fold Alloy cover that a couple folks I know like.

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481461 04/08/19 03:45 PM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
DAMMMMMMMMMM, just got this from DFW Camper supply

Thank you for your inquiry on an ARE bed cover. The price for the LSII installed out the door is $1894.36. The price for the LSX would run $2110.86 out the door. We would be looking at 3-4 week turnaround.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481468 04/08/19 03:53 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Baller

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481479 04/08/19 03:58 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
DAMMMMMMMMMM, just got this from DFW Camper supply

Thank you for your inquiry on an ARE bed cover. The price for the LSII installed out the door is $1894.36. The price for the LSX would run $2110.86 out the door. We would be looking at 3-4 week turnaround.

Yep, how bad do you want matchy paint...

---> Dealer locater undercover
--->Dealer locater weathertech

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481486 04/08/19 04:00 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Just to clarify Rustler, mine was not painted...it was the black ABS type plastic I believe it was 2009/2010 and I assure you there is a clear coat and it bubbled and started chipping off...just like you see cars when clear starts peeling. This was an UC issue, they offered 25 or 50% off another cover. It was BS they didn't stand behind their cover. I've got zero reason to ever try anything they make again. They are good but who wants to do business with a company that won't stand behind their products?

Buzz - any of the over the rail covers are going to be the most water proof...matter of fact, you'll start probably complaining about the dust in the bed of the truck and be looking for a tailgate seal kit. wink

Check Earl Owens in Carrollton.

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481511 04/08/19 04:14 PM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
well, I'm heading on a trip to my cousins ranch next weekend, looks like chances of rain. looks like its trash bag time. Always liked the "white trash" look

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Judd] #7481521 04/08/19 04:23 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Judd
Just to clarify Rustler, mine was not painted...it was the black ABS type plastic I believe it was 2009/2010 and I assure you there is a clear coat and it bubbled and started chipping off...just like you see cars when clear starts peeling. This was an UC issue, they offered 25 or 50% off another cover. It was BS they didn't stand behind their cover. I've got zero reason to ever try anything they make again. They are good but who wants to do business with a company that won't stand behind their products?

Buzz - any of the over the rail covers are going to be the most water proof...matter of fact, you'll start probably complaining about the dust in the bed of the truck and be looking for a tailgate seal kit. wink

Sorry about that, cheers I just assumed it was a painted version.

I agree with you about buying stuff when they won't stand behind whatever product, but if I did that there wouldn't be much of anything I could buy.

Most folks I know that have a bed cover use them, Vets, construction, survey crews etc, and I've had a few, never noticed any chipping or flaking even on the one hanging on an exterior wall in full west sun for about 14 years.

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481524 04/08/19 04:25 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I've got the back flip and happy with it. As Judd mentioned, it is not entirely waterproof but I like keeping gear out of the weather and away from prying eyes.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Rustler] #7481528 04/08/19 04:27 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Rustler

I agree with you about buying stuff when they won't stand behind whatever product, but if I did that there wouldn't be much of anything I could buy.

Most folks I know that have a bed cover use them, Vets, construction, survey crews etc, and I've had a few, never noticed any chipping or flaking even on the one hanging on an exterior wall in full west sun for about 14 years.

You're right grin and funny you say that...I asked my Dad (he's the same way) recently..."What happens when you run out of places to do business". His reply "You start over and hope for the best" roflmao

No worries, we've just had different experiences.

One thing I will say...Buzz that non painted UC cover is black and would do a good job matching your truck...his truck is black. That is if we are counting a Titan as a truck bolt

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Judd] #7481532 04/08/19 04:33 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Rustler

You're right grin and funny you say that...I asked my Dad (he's the same way) recently..."What happens when you run out of places to do business". His reply "You start over and hope for the best" roflmao

No worries, we've just had different experiences.

One thing I will say...Buzz that non painted UC cover is black and would do a good job matching your truck...his truck is black. That is if we are counting a Titan as a truck bolt

I just thought of something, good chance that myself & others scrubbed that coating you had trouble with plum off of them in the first few months.
Stiff scrub brush soap & water to get the dust embedded in the texture completely removed may have stripped that stuff right off.

If I had the need I'd most likely give the WeatherTech alloy tri fold a try.

Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7481656 04/08/19 06:45 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
well, I'm heading on a trip to my cousins ranch next weekend, looks like chances of rain. looks like its trash bag time. Always liked the "white trash" look

What model of truck do you have and what color? Have a buddy selling an ARE LSII for a Ford F150 for $800 but it's the UG White Platinum color for 2009-2013 models.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: ARE Toneau covers, anyone ? [Re: Ox190] #7481731 04/08/19 08:19 PM
J
jimgb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Have a retrax pro made of contractor grade aluminum it also locks very strong cover. This is the second one I have had never had any trouble with it the cover before this was not as good and had to fix things on it. This cover is not cheap but worth the money.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide