Page 1 of 2 1 2
First Bow Purchase #7416610 01/28/19 02:24 AM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
What's up all. I've been pretty infatuated with bow hunting ever since I first saw it. The past few seasons I've been using a crossbow but I'm about ready to take the plunge and get a compound bow. I figure about 500 dollars is a good starter budget (give or take) but I'm open to suggestions. Biggest question I have is, new entry level bow, or used flagship bow? What are the key starter items I should be looking for? I plan on hitting up a local shop and trying a few out but I want to be armed with all the information necessary.

Thanks

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7416873 01/28/19 03:03 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
You left or right eye dominant?

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7418201 01/29/19 07:39 PM
N
NUNEZ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
N
This is the ol Ford or Chevy question. I recommend you start with the tried and true Bowtech or PSE. Both of these brands are reliable and easy on the wallet. Here's what I look for. You want it to be light, fits well in your hand, feels good after the shot, and you actually like it! Your gonna get all kinds of suggestions and comments. The end result is YOU like it, and are happy with it.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7418530 01/30/19 12:45 AM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Right Eye Dominant.

I'm leaning towards the new just because it's untouched and I don't have to worry about an abused bow. It's hard to pass on the value of a used bow if there's something that fits and feels right. Feels like I can't go wrong either way.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7418552 01/30/19 01:03 AM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
I wouldn't take ten cheap bows for my top of the line bow. Lots of folks upgrade every year or two so there are plenty of half price bows out there. It's taken me a few bows to find which one I like best but that takes more time for me than a couple shots at a store. Its a heck of a lot easier to sell a top of the line bow also.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: ChrisB] #7418623 01/30/19 02:18 AM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Interesting perspective, Chris. What would you define as "cheap bows"? I'm looking at things in the 5-600 dollar range. Top of the line would be nice but
1) price
2) I don't really know what I'm getting
3) if it's used, was it abused?

As I said, if there's a 2 year old top of the line bow that's been well cared for and it fits, I'd be hard pressed to pass on it.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7418776 01/30/19 06:11 AM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Find a pro shop that you trust and go shoot a few. I think Chris has a point-- maybe you don't want to jump into a $1500 bow... but if you watch and check archery talk you'll find last years 'flagship' bow that was $1500 now marked down to $600-750. Sounds crazy I know but my current bow is a Hoyt Pro Defiant that I bought 1 year after it came out for $600.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7419247 01/30/19 06:08 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Parker still has a few. They’re going out of business so they’re on clearance:

https://www.parkerbows.com

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7419321 01/30/19 07:03 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
I'd go shoot a few and see if there are characteristics that you like about certain bows. I've personally found I don't like short axle to axle and lightweight bows. I'm not nearly as accurate with them. A bow with an adjustable draw length may be a good idea for a first bow until you have established your anchor point and shot for awhile. I started off with a couple of cheaper PSE bows and learned later there is a big difference in starter bows and flagship bows. I've never seen an abused bow but I'm sure it would be very obvious if one was.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: ChrisB] #7419369 01/30/19 07:36 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by ChrisB
I'd go shoot a few and see if there are characteristics that you like about certain bows. I've personally found I don't like short axle to axle and lightweight bows. I'm not nearly as accurate with them. A bow with an adjustable draw length may be a good idea for a first bow until you have established your anchor point and shot for awhile. I started off with a couple of cheaper PSE bows and learned later there is a big difference in starter bows and flagship bows. I've never seen an abused bow but I'm sure it would be very obvious if one was.

I wish it were true, I have seen and repaired some and sent others to their respective pro shops for repair. Sometimes the effects of some abuse is not readily apparent and may not show up until later on after more firings of the bow. It may take a good bit of shooting for small stress fractures to appear on some dryfired limbs. not every bent cam is noticeable without examination with a straight edge. Just saying most of the time it can be apparent of abuse but other times not. Hoyt is the only manufacture I remember that says its bows will survive a dryfire.

I hunt with a 32" axle to axle bow for the handiness in treestands and ground blinds but I shoot ones with 34" better. For most of my bow hunting I have switched back to Traditional bows.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: kmon11] #7419713 01/31/19 12:16 AM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Yea the fears of stress fractures and such are what worries me about used. It's not that I don't trust the pro shop to sell me a good bow but you never know what's hidden or unseen. But it would be nice to get a flagship bow for a decent price. Sounds like something I can use for many years to come, or at least until I move to the next.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7419727 01/31/19 12:30 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Go to Archerytalk.com and look at the classified ads there.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: kmon11] #7419765 01/31/19 12:59 AM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kmon1
Originally Posted by ChrisB

I wish it were true, I have seen and repaired some and sent others to their respective pro shops for repair. Sometimes the effects of some abuse is not readily apparent and may not show up until later on after more firings of the bow. It may take a good bit of shooting for small stress fractures to appear on some dryfired limbs. not every bent cam is noticeable without examination with a straight edge. Just saying most of the time it can be apparent of abuse but other times not. Hoyt is the only manufacture I remember that says its bows will survive a dryfire.

I hunt with a 32" axle to axle bow for the handiness in treestands and ground blinds but I shoot ones with 34" better. For most of my bow hunting I have switched back to Traditional bows.

I know kmon knows his stuff. But if you by from a brand that takes care of their bows and sells limbs and cams there is really not much to worry about. 95% of bowhunters take excellent care of their bows. Especially if they plan on getting a new bow every year and selling their current bow.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7419896 01/31/19 02:56 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Agree Chris, a lot depends on who you buy from. If from an archery hunter or someone that shoots 3D some that is one thing, off Craigs list might be another. A lot of people selling that type of bow if local to you do not mind letting you shoot it before buying or meat at a shop to have it checked out.

If looking for a bow it does not hut to go to a shop that will let you try a few to get the feel of what a good smooth shooting bow feels like then start your look for a used bow.

Some things to look for when trying bows os just how the bow feels to you when holding, drawing while at full draw and when you let it down and when you shoot it. About all upper end bows have a limb stop which provides a solid back wall and if a limbstop bow has a little mush at the back wall,it is usually out of time When drawing a bow that is out of time one cam will rotate a little further than the other giing a little mushy feel at the back wall.

When you hit your local bow shop up for trying a few go willing to learn the basics of shooting
Stance_perpendicular to target line
Grip_you do not actually grip the bow when shooting, if you do you will be torqueing the bow creating inconsistency and perhaps even hitting you arm with the string.
Drawing_smooth steady, use a poundage for hunting and getting accustom to your bow you can sit on the floor and draw without extra gyrations to draw the bow.
anchor point_this will in part be where your hand is against you face/jaw also string touching corner of mouth and nose. The more consistent you are here will make a huge difference in you consistency. When a shop is setting you up with a bow this comes into play and depending on draw lenght can help guide what ATA length you want to get those facial contact points
Sighting_I like a peep sight that i can see the outer ring of the front sight, the eye aligns 2 circles very well and then it is a matter of putting the pin on the target while maintaining that sight picture.
release_back tension I see as more of a target release style than hunting, but steady squeeze not a slap on the trigger
Follow through_Hold that bow out there the bow will rick in your hand once the arrow has left it which is great, try to move the bow out of the way to see your shot and you will move the bow slightly causing erratic arrow flight.

All are important to shooting a bow consistently and accurately. Over time you will get to where it is automatic without thinking.

got long winded there but hope it helps

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: kmon11] #7419909 01/31/19 03:12 AM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Wow kmon, great info. That's the kind of stuff i'm looking for. I know to not get lost in brands, though friends have consistently recommended Hoyt, so it's a bit hard not to lean towards them. But of course, I'll try others. I'm hopeful to get some good time with the guys at the shop. I'm going in on a Saturday so that might be hit or miss. Either way I won't be heartbroken if I don't walk away with something. I just want the right bow for the next couple of years until I'm ready to upgrade.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7419932 01/31/19 03:41 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Last flagship bow I bought was in 98 and I shot that bow until 2013 when a part broke an I could no longer get. If you get quality it can last more than a couple years.

Hoyt like your friends are talking is a good brand with some very good bows but try several choose one that feels best to you.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7419958 01/31/19 04:20 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Some more rural shops sell used bows on consignment.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7422962 02/02/19 10:53 PM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Just got back from the local archery shop. Wow. I didn't know what I didn't know.

Tried a number of bows from Matthews, Elite, Hoyt and Prime. Of them the Hoyt and Prime felt the best to me. However, it was a definitely more than my budget had initially planned for. I can make it happen, but I feel like $1100 for the bow only is a bit much for a first bow. Of course I could be wrong. With all that being said, with a 29.5" draw the gentleman recommended staying with the 32-34" axle to axle size as that felt the most comfortable for me.

It's a lot of information to digest. Thanks everyone for their input. This is a fun journey so far.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7423927 02/04/19 02:48 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Elite has a lifetime transferable warranty, Just saying, you can get a fully rigged bow for $500 or so. Been shooting Elite Answer since 2012 great bow. Forrest

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7479520 04/06/19 02:19 PM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Alright, reviving this thread to update. After trying out a bunch and a 4 week long wait I've finally received my new Hoyt Helix Ultra. Been flinging a few arrows daily since I've gotten it and this thing shoots like a crossbow: fast and quiet. Plan is by the end of summer I'll be ready and accurate enough to take it out this coming archery season. Thanks for all the input here. Hope to see y'all in the woods!

[Linked Image]

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7481736 04/08/19 08:28 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
cheers
Hope you get to bag something this coming season.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7481866 04/08/19 10:48 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Great choice, enjoy! A few dozen arrows a day and you will be ready to rock when season rolls around!

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: duckhunter175] #7481925 04/08/19 11:35 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
Great choice, enjoy! A few dozen arrows a day and you will be ready to rock when season rolls around!

Agree, just practice with purpose. It does not take a lot of shots each day concentrating on the fundamentals of good shooting form to commit it to mussel memory and become a good "habit"

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7482149 04/09/19 03:44 AM
R
remingtonTX Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Thanks guys. Been out back shooting every day for a week now. Feels good to keep pulling. Hardest part is when I have those shots where you feel things going wrong, you see things going wrong, but you just don't know why. I'm sure it'll come the more I work at it. All in all I'm happy with the purchase and I'm happy to have something I can get deep into.

Re: First Bow Purchase [Re: remingtonTX] #7482166 04/09/19 04:26 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
When you draw back and getting ready to shoot and something doesn't feel right, lower it down and give yourself a minute or two then strt the process over. Continueing when it doesn't "feel right" is a godo way to practie and develope bad habits. You see already that if it feels wrong it will be which is a good thing. Took me a long time on the golf course to start backing off and do the preshot routine again to get ready, same goes for Archery if it doesn't feel right it will not be right

A couple threads from the past that might help you along

Thread 1

Thread 2

If you get stuck along the way PM me and if you can get a few ideos of you shooting I might can help you out. Have done it fo others

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide