Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Need a new cleaning table at deer camp #7476801 04/03/19 07:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
We've decided our next deer camp improvement should be a new cleaning table with sink and drain.

Initial thoughts...

Should be portable so it can be stored away during the off season
How best to drain water from the sink
Best surface for the cutting and de-boning area
Must be constructed mostly from second-hand materials
Anything else that I've not considered

Any and all suggestions and tips are appreciated.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/03/19 07:30 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7476910 04/03/19 09:03 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Stainless steel is your best answer. Can stay outside and will last forever. Not easy, but you can find them used occasionally for not much money.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7477051 04/03/19 11:58 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Watch Craigslist for used restaurant tables. Another option is aluminum running boards, 2 of them together on 2 saw horses with a sink on one end.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7477114 04/04/19 01:07 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
We made a table base from treated lumber and put a full piece (4ft x 8ft) of 1/2" food grade HDPE on it. Then we under mounted a stainless sink on one side. It is like a huge cutting board and rinses off easy. I have had a few deer on that table at a time and it is awesome for a group of guys standing around it processing deer or making sausage. We went 8 years and well over 200 deer before we flipped the top over to use the other side. It is under a cover so the sun didn't beat it up too much. I posted a picture once but I cannot find it again.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7477244 04/04/19 02:40 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions.

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texan Til I Die] #7477384 04/04/19 10:00 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Stainless steel is your best answer. Can stay outside and will last forever. Not easy, but you can find them used occasionally for not much money.

up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I窶冦 an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texan Til I Die] #7477445 04/04/19 11:59 AM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7477593 04/04/19 02:08 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Hope you are talking about a deboning a pig because you know it is illegal to debone a deer at camp unless that will be the final destination for that deer.

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7477708 04/04/19 03:29 PM
H
Hunt Dog Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Must be constructed mostly from second-hand materials

Why? It seems like you are setting yourself up for failure by not planning it out with quality material fro the start.

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Russ79] #7477934 04/04/19 07:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Russ79
Hope you are talking about a deboning a pig because you know it is illegal to debone a deer at camp unless that will be the final destination for that deer.

Did not know that but have to question it. We and others I know debone at camp so that we know exactly how much meat will be given to the processor, and for keeping whatever cuts that will be kept back for more immediate use.

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7477937 04/04/19 07:24 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Did not know that but have to question it. We and others I know debone at camp so that we know exactly how much meat will be given to the processor, and for keeping whatever cuts that will be kept back for more immediate use.

Deer Processing

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7477943 04/04/19 07:36 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

Deer Processing

A processing center is also designated as "final destination". So if I have a processing table at camp: quarter, de-bone, and package up the meat at camp, doesn't that qualify? Reason I am asking is because I routinely debone the rear hams from the carcass instead of separating at the hip. I wonder if I need to change the way I do it...

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7477944 04/04/19 07:38 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Is the meat staying on site?

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7477946 04/04/19 07:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
We also debone to save a little on the cost of processing since the processor we use (Talent's) charges for it.

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7478072 04/04/19 10:11 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Lone Star Auctioneers or Public Surplus are good sites. Lots of schools/universities will be renovating kitchens in the summer. Near you, Conroe ISD is tearing down a cafeteria in Cut & Shoot in June. They sell through Public Surplus. Should find some good stainless tables & sinks there.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7478177 04/05/19 12:29 AM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Make sure you keep those explanations handy when a game warden stops you and wants to check your cooler. If you want to know without a doubt call your game warden.

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7478195 04/05/19 12:54 AM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
You might try Jarrets deer processing in Madisonville. No skinning or deboning fees. I've been going there for the last 30+ years. Great sausage and summer sausage.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: unclebubba] #7478217 04/05/19 01:31 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

Deer Processing

A processing center is also designated as "final destination". So if I have a processing table at camp: quarter, de-bone, and package up the meat at camp, doesn't that qualify? Reason I am asking is because I routinely debone the rear hams from the carcass instead of separating at the hip. I wonder if I need to change the way I do it...

I highly doubt you are going to convince a GW that a processing table meets the definition of a processing center. There are also other regulations that go along with this that you likely aren't following. The rules are pretty clear about keeping the bones in so I'd change what you are doing but that is just me.

To the OP, here is what we built. All second hand materials and it is actually pretty nice. Hook the faucet up to the hose and go.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by krmitchell; 04/05/19 01:34 AM.
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: krmitchell] #7478285 04/05/19 02:50 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by krmitchell

To the OP, here is what we built. All second hand materials and it is actually pretty nice. Hook the faucet up to the hose and go.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks nice and close to what I already had in mind.

What did you use as the counter top surface?

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7478288 04/05/19 02:54 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Don稚 know the real name but some sort of plastic composite. It was countertop material from a countertop we had inside but took out of that cabin. Super durable and easy to clean. I壇 just watch craigslist for a used countertop for free and go from there. Plenty of free stuff that would be fine for a deer lease out there.

Last edited by krmitchell; 04/05/19 02:57 AM.
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Russ79] #7478307 04/05/19 03:23 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

I don't believe that. It says nothing about deboning in the link Herbie provided. All you have to do is keep proof of sex and tag with the animal until it reaches final destination, your house, processor, or wherever. So the head, nut sack, milk sack, whatever.

Now when I guided at a ranch, it needs nothing because they are exotics, but we always threw in a leg of whatever species it was so if they got stopped it could be proved that it wasn't a white tail.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: KWood_TSU] #7478322 04/05/19 03:42 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

I don't believe that. It says nothing about deboning in the link Herbie provided. All you have to do is keep proof of sex and tag with the animal until it reaches final destination, your house, processor, or wherever. So the head, nut sack, milk sack, whatever.

Now when I guided at a ranch, it needs nothing because they are exotics, but we always threw in a leg of whatever species it was so if they got stopped it could be proved that it wasn't a white tail.

Proof of sex for a white tail is the following:

付he head (skinned or unskinned) of a buck deer with antlers attached;
付he head (skinned or unskinned) of an antlerless deer;
付he unskinned head of a pronghorn; or
病 completed Managed Lands Deer Program (MLDP) Tag, Antlerless Mule Deer Permit, CWD Check Station Receipt, or TPWD Drawn Hunt Legal Deer Tag.

The link doesn't specifically mention deboned meat but a quartered deer is bone in. Processing it further has and will be a violation. Quartered equals 4 quarters plus the backstraps, not deboning an entire deer.

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: krmitchell] #7478369 04/05/19 05:23 AM
T
Txduckman Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by krmitchell
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Proof of sex for a white tail is the following:

付he head (skinned or unskinned) of a buck deer with antlers attached;
付he head (skinned or unskinned) of an antlerless deer;
付he unskinned head of a pronghorn; or
病 completed Managed Lands Deer Program (MLDP) Tag, Antlerless Mule Deer Permit, CWD Check Station Receipt, or TPWD Drawn Hunt Legal Deer Tag.

The link doesn't specifically mention deboned meat but a quartered deer is bone in. Processing it further has and will be a violation. Quartered equals 4 quarters plus the backstraps, not deboning an entire deer.

It doesn't say bone in or bone out so make sure your butcher skills are good if you remove from bone... Been the law forever.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/processing-in-camp

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7478438 04/05/19 11:52 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
We've never had an issue with our processor accepting deboned meat. However, they always check for tag and proof of sex.

Re: Need a new cleaning table at deer camp [Re: Texas Dan] #7478460 04/05/19 12:29 PM
T
Txduckman Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
T
We've never had an issue with our processor accepting deboned meat. However, they always check for tag and proof of sex.

I speed and never get caught.... it's up the GW if they want to write a ticket or not. Processor won't get in trouble. Heck, I have taken non tagged deer in since the does head with tag was 50 miles away in someone else's truck unbeknownst to me. Wasn't even my doe! They were cool about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide