Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Tips for RV storage in distant land #7475692 04/02/19 02:28 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
The wife and I plan on using an RV as an alternative to a lake house this summer. Half the grand kids live in Arkansas and we've been renting lake house on Beaver lake the past two years. It's fine, except the wife wants to be there a couple of times a month for long weekends and that gets fairly expensive real quick. As an alternative, I bought a bumper pull RV and thought I'd rent a storage place around the lake and just reserve the camping pads when we're going to be using it.

I'm fairly new to the whole thing. We had several trial runs over this winter and discovered we really like staying in the RV. By storing there we won't have to mess with towing it back and forth, and for the most part, will be able to leave all of our gear there instead of packing and unpacking a dozen times.

I've found a couple of places that have indoor storage for the RV just like regular storage facilities. (Didn't even know that sort of thing existed.)

What do I need to look out for? What am I missing?

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Tips for RV storage in distant land [Re: HOF] #7475719 04/02/19 02:48 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Nothing to look out for other than safety for rv and electric to keep your batteries up and running if needed. I've had my own barn built and keep ours up, fridge, all electrics and ready to go as soon as you open the door. We are Unpluged and gone.

Re: Tips for RV storage in distant land [Re: HOF] #7475721 04/02/19 02:53 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
if you plan on using the 12v system be sure you can leave it plugged in so the batteries stay charged.

put moth balls in basement storage units to keep critters out, mice and rats love to chew on power wires.

don't leave grey or black water in the tanks, something happens and you can't get to it for a couple of months not only will it stink but black tank can dry out and you really don't want that to happen. buy a rinse wand and empty/rinse before storing. any place that has hook ups should have a dump station.

do leave a little water in the toilet, about half a bowl full. this keeps the seal from drying out.

use a gfci plug attachment on your 30/50 amp male end to keep surges or lightning strikes from shorting the trailer.

if it is indoors leave the roof vents open so it can circulate air as much as possible, keeps the musty smell out. maybe leave a window or two open about 1/4 way if it is a private unit and not a large open barn type with a lot of others.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Tips for RV storage in distant land [Re: HOF] #7475730 04/02/19 02:59 PM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Be sure you put rodent repellent in various places throughout the camper.
Turn off your LPG valve.
If it is not going to be hooked to power, install a battery disconnect or just take the batteries with you for maintaining.
Humidity is the worst thing for campers, keep the top vents cracked and used something like DampRid throughout the camper.
Keep the fridge doors open with baking soda on the shelf, cabinet doors open too.
Leave a little clean water in your grey/black water tanks with some sanitizer.
Check your tires every spring for rot, and if they are nylon go ahead and chunk them, put steel belted on to help prevent blowouts.

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: Tips for RV storage in distant land [Re: HOF] #7475731 04/02/19 02:59 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Might be worth placing a few tomcat traps inside the camper to control rodents. They can wreak havoc on RVs if allowed. Also, invest in a few airtight tubs for any food stuff that will be left while away. If electric available, it is nice to have a cold frig when you arrive. Most refrigerators on RVs take a day or so to cool down which means on a weekend trip, the frig is ready about the time you are about to leave, so having camper plugged in while away is a nice bonus - and as mentioned above, it is also nice that the battery bank remains charged.

I learned also, if you are going to be in and out frequently, try to find a unit that is easily accessed. I had a nice indoor rented unit at one point, but backing in was a nightmare and I ended up moving to another that was more accessible.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Tips for RV storage in distant land [Re: HOF] #7476923 04/03/19 09:32 PM
HOF Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Good tips this far. Tip of the hat in thanks and keep them coming.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Tips for RV storage in distant land [Re: HOF] #7476929 04/03/19 09:37 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
If there is any chance of freezing coming up be sure to drain the water tanks....both cold and hot water tanks....or use potable antifreeze.

Re: Tips for RV storage in distant land [Re: HOF] #7476998 04/03/19 10:39 PM
B
B Razorback Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Not sure why this is a thing but make sure the storage facility doesn't flood. Northwest Arkansas does not really have a good drainage system (at least in Fayetteville). My roommate had his skeeter in an indoor storage facility and it ended up flooding with the spring rains. Also make sure to be careful with the freezes. It sure does get cold up here. What places are you looking at? I know my roommate researched a bunch of different places after that flood, so if you need some help just PM me!

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Tips for RV storage in distant land [Re: HOF] #7477009 04/03/19 10:51 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
My travel trailer has been stored in my shop for the last three years. We do not keep any food in it at all.

I drain the lines and tanks, and put antifreeze in the P-traps and a couple gallons in the tanks.

I put a tarp over it to protect from any animals that get in the shop...birds or bats, etc.

I pull the batteries from the RV and hook them up to one of these for continuous maintenance: https://smile.amazon.com/BatteryMin...;qid=1554331503&s=gateway&sr=8-3

My FIL checks on it once a month or so, and throws out a metric ton of mouse/rat bait under the trailer to keep them at bay.

So far, so good. The trailer doesn't smell like a rat's nest yet.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide