Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
TX draw hunt feedbacks #7467216 03/24/19 06:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline OP
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
The survey’s went out via email.

I suggest you remind TPW that Pittman-Robertson money is allocated on license sales and we don’t require NR or Res to have a license and that’s absurd.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7467225 03/24/19 06:17 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
The survey’s went out via email.

I suggest you remind TPW that Pittman-Robertson money is allocated on license sales and we don’t require NR or Res to have a license and that’s absurd.

A state may not get more than 5% of the Pittman Roberson dollars a year. Texas always gets the max. However, I do agree that people should have a license to apply. This would be revenue positive for TPWD and nonresidents have some skin in the game.

Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7467252 03/24/19 06:45 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Yep. I added to the notes on mine that they needed to start requiring nrs to either have a license or a higher fee. And asked for a loyalty point only choice with draw hunt applications.

Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7467570 03/24/19 11:38 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Here's a link for folks who may have missed the E-mail. Takes 5 minutes. I suggested that they square the points like some other states to help some folks with a ton of points draw a decent hunt before they die.

https://survey.tpwd.state.tx.us/Tak...medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery#

Last edited by Palehorse; 03/24/19 11:40 PM.
Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: Palehorse] #7467803 03/25/19 01:32 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I suggested that NR's be limited to one app. per category if they are not going to have to buy a license first.

Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: Palehorse] #7467822 03/25/19 01:41 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Palehorse
Here's a link for folks who may have missed the E-mail. Takes 5 minutes. I suggested that they square the points like some other states to help some folks with a ton of points draw a decent hunt before they die.

Some of the questions made me think they might be considering something like that. I would not mind that change considering I now have 25 points in Gun Deer Either Sex. I'm at a point I can only put in for the more primo hard to draw hunts because I don't want to waste 25 years of points on an easy to draw hunt. If nothing changes, I'll probably never draw a hunt in that category before I am too old to hunt.

Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: Sniper John] #7467953 03/25/19 03:17 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Yep. I added to the notes on mine that they needed to start requiring nrs to either have a license or a higher fee. And asked for a loyalty point only choice with draw hunt applications.

I forgot to add the point only option. That would be a great idea.

Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7469929 03/26/19 10:17 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I joined up for a javalina hunt and then I got there and I realized I had no interest in shooting a javalina whatsoever.

I never saw one but after hearing we had to gut it in the field and bring it in to be checked I decided I wasnt pulling the trigger on one.

Why gut that nasty thing when you can just quarter it or throw it in the gut pile as is.

that is my only complaint about the hunt

GO TRUMP!
Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7471878 03/28/19 10:50 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
OK, comments here from a non-resident who actively participates in the Drawn Hunt program and I have for the last 25+ years. I fill out a survey every time they offer one, I email the TPWD managers at the various WMA's and talk with them to get a feel for hunts and issues. I call the biologists and give them active, up to date feedback IMMEDIATELY after I go on a hunt.

Light your torches and grab the pitchforks!!!

Have always opposed the requirement to buy a license. There is no appreciable public land in Texas for me to use a license if I don't draw a tag. I will continue to oppose that. As long as Texas can't decide which one we need for the various hunts, I can't support getting either a 5 day, a special, or an annual license. The little one lets me hunt everything except deer or turkey for 5 days, the Special lets me hunt everything (including alligator, exotics, javelina, hogs, etc.) for the entire year. Were I to get drawn, then I buy the CORRECT license. If I put in for a deer hunt, I have to buy the $315 big one, but don't use any of the tags they include, so they get wasted also.!

What I do tell them every year is this - Charge residents $3 to apply, fine, then charge me $10. Charge residents $80/130 for a permit, then make mine $160/260. Limit non-residents to 10% of the available tags/permits the same as my state does to Texans. Go back to a single application for each category, or at the very least, a maximum of 3 choices. For people who KNOW they can't attend a hunt, offer the "Points only" option.

The TPWD managers are tasked with providing you a quality experience and spreading out recreation hours as evenly as the can. They do not guarantee you a deer, hog, exotic, or whatever and expect you to work at it some and not just show up. I think they do a great job at what they are given and will continue to support them and play the game.

Last edited by Blank; 03/28/19 11:03 PM.

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: Blank] #7472042 03/29/19 01:58 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline OP
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Blank
OK, comments here from a non-resident who actively participates in the Drawn Hunt program and I have for the last 25+ years. I fill out a survey every time they offer one, I email the TPWD managers at the various WMA's and talk with them to get a feel for hunts and issues. I call the biologists and give them active, up to date feedback IMMEDIATELY after I go on a hunt.

Light your torches and grab the pitchforks!!!

Have always opposed the requirement to buy a license. There is no appreciable public land in Texas for me to use a license if I don't draw a tag. I will continue to oppose that. As long as Texas can't decide which one we need for the various hunts, I can't support getting either a 5 day, a special, or an annual license. The little one lets me hunt everything except deer or turkey for 5 days, the Special lets me hunt everything (including alligator, exotics, javelina, hogs, etc.) for the entire year. Were I to get drawn, then I buy the CORRECT license. If I put in for a deer hunt, I have to buy the $315 big one, but don't use any of the tags they include, so they get wasted also.!

What I do tell them every year is this - Charge residents $3 to apply, fine, then charge me $10. Charge residents $80/130 for a permit, then make mine $160/260. Limit non-residents to 10% of the available tags/permits the same as my state does to Texans. Go back to a single application for each category, or at the very least, a maximum of 3 choices. For people who KNOW they can't attend a hunt, offer the "Points only" option.

The TPWD managers are tasked with providing you a quality experience and spreading out recreation hours as evenly as the can. They do not guarantee you a deer, hog, exotic, or whatever and expect you to work at it some and not just show up. I think they do a great job at what they are given and will continue to support them and play the game.

Not to overstate the obvious but we also have NF, so you do have some where to use the license. I spend over $150 in Idaho every year putting for only “one” Tag.

With that said Idaho is my second favorite state in the Union. I want to move there for fall and spring bear

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7472066 03/29/19 02:24 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
You say you're trying for that "one" tag, but with your valid license you could hunt deer, elk, bear, lion, wolf on 67% of the lands making up the state. Heck, I shoot most of my bears within 30 minutes of the house! Call sometime if you want to try a camping trip/ hunt for one of the other species.

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: Palehorse] #7474577 04/01/19 08:56 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Palehorse

Thanks for the link. I put my 2cents in.

Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7474783 04/01/19 03:22 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
I've submitted mines a month ago via mail.
Then I got the email, which I filled out and submitted.
Then, I get another survey card in the mail....

I've included on the suggestions that the Barker & Addicks Reservoirs in Houston/Katy should be opened for archery draw hunts (at least for the hogs).
I know they're managed by the Army Corps of Engineers, but the ACE never responded to my emails.
I'm not going to give up on it. Especially after reading that article that Texas is losing the war on hogs.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: Sniper John] #7475720 04/02/19 02:52 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Really appreciate the link to the TPW Survey. Made "a few" comments and offered my thoughts that I have made here and eleswhere from time to time, especially concerning Non Res Hunters affects/effects on Res Hunters access to the Lottery System... SAME Tired Old Song's 100th verse and I always get the same blank stare when done in person with TPW folks....

Asked for a series of annual or more often that, Regional Panel Discusssion to address specific local issues of interested non State EE's from the Hunting Industry and local Business beneficiary's & longtime Lottery perticipants (mebbe 20 years or more of Apps ???) to really EMPHASIZE local issues, but who knows if that'll ever happen.....but If'n Ya Doan't Ask..Ya Doan't get nuthin but crickets....
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 04/02/19 03:24 PM. Reason: .Spell check button anywhere JP ???

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: Blank] #7504720 05/05/19 03:16 PM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted by Blank

What I do tell them every year is this - Charge residents $3 to apply, fine, then charge me $10. Charge residents $80/130 for a permit, then make mine $160/260. Limit non-residents to 10% of the available tags/permits the same as my state does to Texans.

I think your state charges nonresidents 12X what it charges residents. That means you should pay $960/$1560.

Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7504743 05/05/19 03:55 PM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

I also think nonresidents should only be eligible to hunt Federally owned land. They have no business hunting state owned land. That is, state owned wildlife on state owned land should only be hunted by state residents.

Re: TX draw hunt feedbacks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7521706 05/28/19 07:00 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Anyone heard about the results of this survey?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide