Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Soil sample results - proper fertilizer? #7469680 03/26/19 06:25 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Hey guys,

I got soil samples back from A&M and plan on planting a sunflower food plot within the next week. Based on this - what would you guys recommend for the fertilizer? I've seen 10-34-0 online which seems about right but not sure if that would be available in my area (Coleman/Brown County).

My plan is to:

1. Fertilize
2. Disc
3. Spread seed
4. Run drag harrow
5. Cultipack

Does that sound right? I've read some people disc first and then fertilize. Others disc, seed, and then fertilize. Not sure what's best. Previously had a farmer handle food plots, but got a John Deere and a Plotmaster to do it myself moving forward.

[Linked Image]

Re: Soil sample results - proper fertilizer? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7469699 03/26/19 06:35 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Discing 1st will get the slower elements into the root zone faster, nitrogen moves quick.

There will be a seed and feed, or co-op somewhere down there everyone uses, take your report in and they will set you up

up

Smart going with a soil sample, you will get much better results without throwing away money on something you don't need, and/or increase the imbalance in your soil.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Soil sample results - proper fertilizer? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7469708 03/26/19 06:40 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I would take that to the local Co-OP or a feed store that sells bulk fertilizer and see if they have the correct mix for your application. I don't think it really matters much but I always disk and plant then apply the fertilizer.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Soil sample results - proper fertilizer? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7469726 03/26/19 06:54 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I'm jealous, pH level is good. No lime necessary. My fields in southern Brown County are very acidic.

Have you gone to feed store to ask about mixes? The guys at Richmon Supply in Brownwood are pretty helpful for me.

Looks like the process you are planning will work. I am definitely not a farmer, but with my plots I typically disc first to break up soil, seed and fertilize at same time, and then drag. One common mistake (so I am told) is getting seed too deep. You just need good seed/soil contact.

Funny story, kind of, was my first try at sunflowers. I spent a lot of time and money on prep and seed only to have ONE, 1, A, SINGLE sunflower grow in the pasture. The dang things grow wild in the ditches. My wife took a photo of my lonely sunflower and shows it to me on occasion when I start talking about new projects and implements.

On second thought, maybe you want to ignore all of my suggestions above.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Soil sample results - proper fertilizer? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7469796 03/26/19 08:10 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Thanks guys. Great feedback. I'm pretty excited to start making my own plots. The farmer down the road does it for ridiculously cheap, but he's getting old and figure it's time to learn myself. That was my excuse anyway to get a tractor.

Dalroo - your last sentence got a true "laugh out loud" from me - thanks for that roflmao

Re: Soil sample results - proper fertilizer? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7469829 03/26/19 08:40 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
Dalroo - your last sentence got a true "laugh out loud" from me - thanks for that roflmao

Yeah, it would be much funnier if it had happened to someone other than me!!!

I think the biggest lesson I have learned over the past several years of trial and error is that regardless of your process, the timing of rainfall will make or break you. The last several years have been very wet and on a couple of my fields, I have had a lot of standing water which is no bueno. Last year I planted a about 10 acres with mix of winter peas, rye and oats and with the early Fall rains they were looking GREAT! Unfortunately, it just never quit raining and the peas and oats drowned. I did get a nice result with the rye and still have a nice bit growing.

No idea about your place, but there is no way I can even begin prepping fields as of today. Even though the top inch or so looks dry, just under it is soup. Any ground contacting implement would quickly be mired.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Soil sample results - proper fertilizer? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7469832 03/26/19 08:41 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Everyone farms a little different, experiment & find what works best for you.

Just me,
Disc
Fertilize / add soil amendments
Chain harrow
Cultipack in one direction
Spread seed
Cultipack in a different direction

Pray for rain, not too much at once, then pray for rain in timely intervals.
Then hope the grasshoppers don't wipe it all out, they love young sunflower plants as do deer.

Sunflowers will grow no problem with that soil sample as is, to get good bloom & seed production don't skimp on the phosphorus.

Re: Soil sample results - proper fertilizer? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7472324 03/29/19 01:29 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
10-34-0 will be available at any co-op ,Helena, CPS, Wilbur-Ellis etc... Keep in mind that it is a liquid though so applying will be harder than just slinging a dry. Whatever you do, incorporate into soil. You could just spread seed and a dry fertilizer together if you mix right.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide