Print Thread
Cen Tex trailers #7469412 03/26/19 03:17 PM
S
safarigene Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Any reason I should stay away from them? Not many reviews out there. Local dealer has a nice model that fits exactly what we need. To get the same features and specs with Bragg trailers would cost about $400 more. Will be used couple times a year to haul a VW bug to shows and general use here and there.

Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: safarigene] #7469448 03/26/19 03:40 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I've got a 14 foot tandem axle dove tail and it's been fine. Paint quality isn't great, but structurally it's been fine.

I'm about to upgrade to a 18' equipment type trailer and will look at them again.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: safarigene] #7469904 03/26/19 09:55 PM
C
ckat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I've got a Cen-Tex 16' utility trailer. Frame is great. So-so paint. The wiring was done as fast as possible. I re-wired mine as soon as I bought it - re-ran it all in conduit. I use the heck out of mine, so I don't care about how good the paint is - I will scratch it up no matter what kind of paint is on it.

I would recommend checking with Grandview Trailer Sales right up 35 from you. They carry Cen-Tex trailers and were cheap enough that it was worth the 5 hour trip from my house to pick it up. IIRC, it was around $1100 for a new trailer with new tires and a spare. That was in 2015, I think...

Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: safarigene] #7469936 03/26/19 10:24 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't know of a utility trailer manufacturer that doesn't install the wiring as fast (and cheap) as possible. Pitiful standards. Followed closely by the travel trailer industry.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: safarigene] #7470030 03/27/19 12:27 AM
S
safarigene Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
We found the 7x16 pipe top with bulldog hitch, ramps, and brakes for $1850 locally. I will look into Grandview Trailer Sales though.

Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: safarigene] #7470262 03/27/19 04:06 AM
C
ckat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted by safarigene
We found the 7x16 pipe top with bulldog hitch, ramps, and brakes for $1850 locally. I will look into Grandview Trailer Sales though.

https://grandviewsales.weebly.com/prices.html

Here is their current basic pricing list. Mine doesn't have brakes, is an angle top, and didn't come with ramps. Not sure about these listed prices...

Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: safarigene] #7470344 03/27/19 11:31 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
They are inexpensive because they are built with smaller lighter steel than quality brands. I repaired trailers for a living and sold trailers for a living, I do neither now. The cost generally reflects the build quality. A quality trailer of that weight will have 3" x 5" angle on the upper frame, A tongue that is formed not welded, made from C channel not angle iron and goes all the way back towards the axles, it will have good radial tires, LED lights, boxed in lighting to keep them from getting destroyed, at least one axle will have brakes on a 7k trailer, the wiring should be boxed in and have plugs at intersections, if it is a pipetop the pipe should be thick and beefy or you will ruin it quickly. The uprights angle iron holding the pipe should be 2"x3" minimum. You want EZ Lube axles and make sure they are Dexters if possible. Never adjust brakes are standard on quality trailers. A quality trailer will also have an adjustable coupler in front, Bulldog or equivalent that can be removed and adjusted up or down for your application. It should have powder coat finish with automotive quality paint on top of that. These are standard qualities of a Big Tex trailer and few others that I know of. There is a big difference in trailers you see. With Centex you will find few of these quality features...but you can save money and run with it.

Last edited by RattlesnakeDan; 03/27/19 11:52 AM.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: safarigene] #7472368 03/29/19 02:13 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
My brother has a Cen-Tex. Poor paint job, but other than that is has held up decent for 5 or so years with light use.

Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: safarigene] #7472680 03/29/19 07:15 PM
C
ckat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
They are inexpensive because they are built with smaller lighter steel than quality brands. I repaired trailers for a living and sold trailers for a living, I do neither now. The cost generally reflects the build quality. A quality trailer of that weight will have 3" x 5" angle on the upper frame, A tongue that is formed not welded, made from C channel not angle iron and goes all the way back towards the axles, it will have good radial tires, LED lights, boxed in lighting to keep them from getting destroyed, at least one axle will have brakes on a 7k trailer, the wiring should be boxed in and have plugs at intersections, if it is a pipetop the pipe should be thick and beefy or you will ruin it quickly. The uprights angle iron holding the pipe should be 2"x3" minimum. You want EZ Lube axles and make sure they are Dexters if possible. Never adjust brakes are standard on quality trailers. A quality trailer will also have an adjustable coupler in front, Bulldog or equivalent that can be removed and adjusted up or down for your application. It should have powder coat finish with automotive quality paint on top of that. These are standard qualities of a Big Tex trailer and few others that I know of. There is a big difference in trailers you see. With Centex you will find few of these quality features...but you can save money and run with it.

I am away from my trailer at the moment, but I know for certain that it has Dexter axles, a 4" C-channel tongue that goes to just in front of the front axle, and radial tires. Not sure about the frame material dimensions, but I have seen way lighter. I already touched on the so-so paint and just-enough-to-work wiring. All that to say, I paid $1100 for it brand new (current price is $1250, I think...) The "equivalent" Big Tex trailer is $3000. Hard to justify an "apples-to-apples" comparison when you are talking about a 240% difference in price...

Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: ckat] #7483560 04/10/19 06:20 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ckat

I am away from my trailer at the moment, but I know for certain that it has Dexter axles, a 4" C-channel tongue that goes to just in front of the front axle, and radial tires. Not sure about the frame material dimensions, but I have seen way lighter. I already touched on the so-so paint and just-enough-to-work wiring. All that to say, I paid $1100 for it brand new (current price is $1250, I think...) The "equivalent" Big Tex trailer is $3000. Hard to justify an "apples-to-apples" comparison when you are talking about a 240% difference in price...

I agree. Cen-Tex are decent trailers for a "weekender". If i were working mine all day every day i might have a different opinion.

Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: Big_Country01] #7492905 04/21/19 04:56 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Big_Country01
Originally Posted by ckat

I agree. Cen-Tex are decent trailers for a "weekender". If i were working mine all day every day i might have a different opinion.

Dan nailed it.....occasional light use they are fine.....

If you are going to "work" the trailer step up to something heavier duty....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: safarigene] #7500525 04/30/19 04:28 PM
20bore Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
From their website:
Pipe Top Trailer Standard Features include:
3in. pipe top rail, 2x3 wrap tongue on 5 wide, 4 in. channel wrap tongue on 6.4" and 82", 2x2 cross members on 5 wide, 2x3 cross members on 6.4" and 82", 15in wheels, 3500lbs Dexter Axle, 2in. Atwood coupler, New (used tires available) 205/75-15, 7k jack, DOT approved lights, and DOT aproved safty chains.

Pretty good specs considering a 16’ is $1415.
Only thing I see is on some of these cheaper trailers they don’t use high quality decking. I believe it’s treated but it ain’t the same quality that you’ll find on a Hefty, Diamond C, Texline, etc

Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: safarigene] #7501991 05/02/19 02:29 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
What gage (thickness) pipe and channel? Lots of things "sound" good......

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Cen Tex trailers [Re: 20bore] #7502527 05/02/19 07:00 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 20bore
From their website:
Pipe Top Trailer Standard Features include:
3in. pipe top rail, 2x3 wrap tongue on 5 wide, 4 in. channel wrap tongue on 6.4" and 82", 2x2 cross members on 5 wide, 2x3 cross members on 6.4" and 82", 15in wheels, 3500lbs Dexter Axle, 2in. Atwood coupler, New (used tires available) 205/75-15, 7k jack, DOT approved lights, and DOT aproved safty chains.

Pretty good specs considering a 16’ is $1415.
Only thing I see is on some of these cheaper trailers they don’t use high quality decking. I believe it’s treated but it ain’t the same quality that you’ll find on a Hefty, Diamond C, Texline, etc

Like i said earlier, if you are working the trailer all day every day, you will be disappointed. IF you just use it a couple times a month, it may be OK

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide