Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Road trip hunt next season - where? #7468632 03/25/19 07:54 PM
Sniper John Offline OP
gumshoe
OP Offline
gumshoe
I like to do a hunting road trip with the Vizsla every season. Low budget, on my own hunting, no guided stuff and cheap lodging to living out of my vehicle. Sometimes meeting up with other people to hunt with on portions of the trip. I usually do a combined upland/waterfowl trip and have even thrown in some fishing to give the dog a break some days. Now that I am retired, time and place are not big factors so I might even do two stints. One more upland and one more waterfowl. And ideas or suggestions from the forum for waterfowl?

I have done mostly upland hunts in Kansas where I saw so many ducks and sometimes geese on ponds, creeks, and small lakes on the same WIHAs I was Quail and Pheasant hunting that I often felt like I was hunting the wrong birds. I seldom saw anyone hunting them. Often I though about going back to the same areas for a mostly waterfowl hunt next time.

Never been to South Dakota, but I have enough points that a waterfowl season draw would almost be a sure thing. Maybe next season would be a good time to cash those in. If I time it right for October I might could try snagging a paddlefish at Gavins Point. I have those points too.

Also as large and diverse as Texas is, I was wanting to do a waterfowl road round trip across Texas. Last I looked at something like that, it actually involve more miles than most of my out of state trips. Not sure that would be a good idea this year though considering how duck hunting fared for most people in Texas last season.

Believe it or not Utah has been on my radar as well. I do have swan points there. Even have a couple swan decoys even though I would have no idea what I was doing. I could put in for that draw and loosely plan more waterfowl hunting around that drive.

I often Goose hunt public land in western OK, but never dedicated an entire road trip to that part of the state. I might could spend the entire time bouncing around the western half of the state looking for birds.

Any other ideas?

Re: Road trip hunt next season - where? [Re: Sniper John] #7468660 03/25/19 08:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Why not just start in Oklahoma and move north and west making a big loop.. Pheasants are back FYI. I killed my limit in Jan while pronghorn hunting. I’ve got a friend that invited me several time to what he calls best public chuker and mallard hunting in Nevada. I’d make a big loop straight north to Dakota’s then across to Idaho to Nevada then down through Utah, Az, NM then home. If we have another mild winter straight north is going to be the right place to be. I still had open water in Jan up north.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Road trip hunt next season - where? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7469060 03/26/19 02:42 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Why not just start in Oklahoma and move north and west making a big loop.. Pheasants are back FYI. I killed my limit in Jan while pronghorn hunting. I’ve got a friend that invited me several time to what he calls best public chuker and mallard hunting in Nevada. I’d make a big loop straight north to Dakota’s then across to Idaho to Nevada then down through Utah, Az, NM then home. If we have another mild winter straight north is going to be the right place to be. I still had open water in Jan up north.

id probably never make it over to nevada, but i sure would like to hear more about that chukar and mallard hunting? please share if you don't mind.

OP
i think eastern Washington, Oregon, Idaho and western Montana would be a hell of a trip. Waterfowl, upland and flyfishing. I imagine you could easily spend 3-4 weeks covering those states.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Road trip hunt next season - where? [Re: Sniper John] #7469078 03/26/19 03:00 AM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
We've got dusky grouse, ruffed grouse, sage grouse, sharptails, chukar and huns to hunt as wild birds in Wyoming all in September. You could see some nice areas and maybe even hear some elk bugle while pursuing them. Fishing in the fall is also awesome for spawning trout.
Hit up lots of spots along the travel route and a different loop back towards home for the Utah, Nevada , Arizona and NM birds.

Re: Road trip hunt next season - where? [Re: Sniper John] #7469994 03/26/19 11:47 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Devils Lake ND

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide