Forums46
Topics537,028
Posts9,719,575
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7466102 03/23/19 02:29 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by cmc
Mounts are cheap to buy nobody wants that crap. They sell on eBay for near nothing all the time unless it’s really something special.

You’d be surprised how much you can get from good taxidermy.

I know several people who have sold deer, elk and African mounts for good $$$.

Your right, most individuals would not want them but bars, resturaunts, museums, etc. will purchase them

Deer will just go for $75-250 or so usually. Price depends on the size and “look” of the mount. Kinda goes up incrementally from there with larger and/or more rare animals.

A lot of African stuff is not very sought after because it’s so common.

Moose heads are the most sought after and go for lots of $$$. Every place that has a “lodge” look wants a moose head.

(This all comes from a buyer/decorator I visited with not long ago. I think their view of African stuff may be slanted because they didn’t seek it in their buying.)

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7466201 03/23/19 04:46 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
my buddy sold his collection locally and he got $350-$400 for his whitetail mounts on craigslist. his was average hill country bucks, 120" type stuff. Friend of mine sold his elk head for $5k, but it was a B&C head.

If you have a smaller collection of 3-5 mounts, not its not gonna bring a ton of money, but if you get up in the 30-40 mount range, then your heirs can sell them for some pretty good beer cash.

but in the end, their resale or lack of resale is not why I mount animals. I look at them like works of art, made only for me. No two pieces are exactly alike. But like any art collection, what happens to it after your gone is sure to cross your mind

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: Papalote] #7466203 03/23/19 04:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Papalote
My trophy is in the freezer, gets eaten. Antlers/heads are hung in a tree.
As a taxidermist I mounted critters for others but never myself.
After the Harvey flood event, life is less cluttered. Stuff means a little less these days.

so what your telling us is you don't have any mounts to pass down, on a thread about what to do with your mounts when you die.

Thanks for the contribution to the post

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: cmc] #7466204 03/23/19 04:50 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by cmc
Mounts are cheap to buy nobody wants that crap. They sell on eBay for near nothing all the time unless it’s really something special. I’ve got some skulls that are rare and sell for over $1000 now but I don’t care what they do with em when I’m gone. I’m done with mounts anyway. The older I’ve gotten the more I realize how much money I wasted on shoulder mounts when I could’ve done a skull and went on another trip with the money for the mount.

inquiring minds want to know just how much money was wasted on shoulder mounts? what trips could you have gone on for the price of the shoulder mount of the previous trip?

interested in learning more

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7466234 03/23/19 05:16 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There's been one other person appreciate my trophy collection almost as much as me -

The wife had her church committee over to our house and one of the ladies had a young Japanese woman staying with her. I think she was a member of a very small mission/missionary church we support in Japan. My wife said she went completely gaga over all the shoulder mounts. She was taking pictures and petting the mane on the Zebra rug.

I never saw her. 'Wife said she was gorgeous too. bang

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: Creekrunner] #7466279 03/23/19 06:01 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
There's been one other person appreciate my trophy collection almost as much as me -

The wife had her church committee over to our house and one of the ladies had a young Japanese woman staying with her. I think she was a member of a very small mission/missionary church we support in Japan. My wife said she went completely gaga over all the shoulder mounts. She was taking pictures and petting the mane on the Zebra rug.

I never saw her. 'Wife said she was gorgeous too. bang

It’s been my experience that non hunters go gaga over taxidermy

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7466371 03/23/19 07:40 PM
P
Papalote Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
My trophy is in the freezer, gets eaten. Antlers/heads are hung in a tree.
As a taxidermist I mounted critters for others but never myself.
After the Harvey flood event, life is less cluttered. Stuff means a little less these days.

so what your telling us is you don't have any mounts to pass down, on a thread about what to do with your mounts when you die.

Thanks for the contribution to the post

Your welcome. The kids will get the land on which the tree full of deer heads/antlers stands. They will surely enjoy the property more than a room full of mounted critters.

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7466406 03/23/19 08:16 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by cmc
Mounts are cheap to buy nobody wants that crap. They sell on eBay for near nothing all the time unless it’s really something special. I’ve got some skulls that are rare and sell for over $1000 now but I don’t care what they do with em when I’m gone. I’m done with mounts anyway. The older I’ve gotten the more I realize how much money I wasted on shoulder mounts when I could’ve done a skull and went on another trip with the money for the mount.

inquiring minds want to know just how much money was wasted on shoulder mounts? what trips could you have gone on for the price of the shoulder mount of the previous trip?

Oryx, gemsbok, zebra, and elk mounts alone will buy you a couple tickets to Africa. Don’t get me started on that damn giraffe, holy crap that’ll set you back but the giraffe skull alone will pay for your shipping and clearance of a whole safari if you wanted to sell it.

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7466410 03/23/19 08:19 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Nope.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: Papalote] #7466418 03/23/19 08:24 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The kids will get the land on which the tree full of deer heads/antlers stands. They will surely enjoy the property more than a room full of mounted critters.

"And they all got along forever and ever, and they shared everything, and they never thought about the money selling the place would bring."

One kid, no problem. More than one, problems.

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: cmc] #7467303 03/24/19 07:58 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by cmc
Originally Posted by cmc

Oryx, gemsbok, zebra, and elk mounts alone will buy you a couple tickets to Africa. Don’t get me started on that damn giraffe, holy crap that’ll set you back but the giraffe skull alone will pay for your shipping and clearance of a whole safari if you wanted to sell it.

All those mounts mentioned won’t get me to Africa. Or they might get me there but won’t pay for much hunting, let alone a coupe trips.

Africa is all about the trophies, otherwise why hunt there at all? You can’t bring the meat home might as well go on a photo safari

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7467312 03/24/19 08:07 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by cmc
Originally Posted by cmc

All those mounts mentioned won’t get me to Africa. Or they might get me there but won’t pay for much hunting, let alone a coupe trips.

Africa is all about the trophies, otherwise why hunt there at all? You can’t bring the meat home might as well go on a photo safari
I said they would get you there and they will. Africa may be all about trophies to you but I can go back anytime and leave em all there wouldnt bother me a bit. Africa is about being in Africa, being with the people, looking at places most will never see, eating food you can’t eat anywhere else. It never was about trophies and never will be. I can take the money from those mounts I mentioned and buy me and my wife tickets to go back. I can fish a few days and hunt a few animals for the cost of a couple more. I’m just over it. I’d rather keep traveling than sit home staring up at dead animals. I’m not rich enough to do both because I don’t care to work enough to make that much.

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7468096 03/25/19 11:51 AM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I prefer stuff I can eat.

[b][/b]
Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: Reloder28] #7468134 03/25/19 12:53 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I prefer stuff I can eat.

That's awesome, I hope you continue to feel comfortable and confident in your choice.

however this thread was about what to do with the mounts you DO have in regards to estate planning, not the validity of having mounts, peoples' opinion of them, or if they are a wise investment monetarily.

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7468233 03/25/19 02:01 PM
M
Mouflonman321 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Check out Lolli Bros. in Macon,MO. Exotic sales.

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7479608 04/06/19 03:24 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I was asked this question recently. I currently have a modest collection of 15 or so shoulder mounts. Mostly from Africa,a few texas exotics and a whitetail, bear and javalina. I don’t have children, but have a ton of nieces and nephews that would be happy to have some of the mounts. In fact two of my mounts are at a nephews house because I don’t have room for them. He is very happy to have it in his house.

The stuff that they don’t want can all be sold, but I bet there would not be much left except for a bunch of whitetail skulls.

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7479622 04/06/19 03:39 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My son will end up with my mounts and be more than happy to display them.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7479688 04/06/19 04:59 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Like snake oil, my son and grandson will take mine and will be proud of them.

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7480009 04/06/19 11:42 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Had a real real good friend that died at the age of 82 years. His wife let him roll around in the floor of his house dien for 3 days without dialing 911. He died and was cremated the next day. His stuff was being thrown out to the curb by his wife and gay dike girlfriend with exact circumstances the day after he died. I was able to intercept a few mounts for shear memory and respect for the pioneer of the great outdoors and my friend. Careful folks! Sadly people dont care about your dusty old mounts or maybe even you. My busload of mounts and horns?? My son may have the heart and respect to save them.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7480575 04/07/19 02:52 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have a modest collection of low fence whitetail mounts in my bubba room. 23 of them from the 160's and up that I have taken over the years. I'm the only person they have meaning to. When I'm gone I kinda hope they are given away or sold and my son collects trophies of his own.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: stxranchman] #7480597 04/07/19 03:19 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I don't have a plan in place but whoever draws the short straw on my mounts will need a 18 wheeler to haul them away. grin

Let me get the mule deer from Canada banana2

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: txtrophy85] #7480598 04/07/19 03:20 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
My son will get anything and everything hunting or outdoors related

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: SapperTitan] #7480622 04/07/19 03:48 PM
M
mbavo Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I don't have a plan in place but whoever draws the short straw on my mounts will need a 18 wheeler to haul them away. grin

I’m with Sapper, I’d take one of your mounts!
You have some amazing mounts!

Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: SapperTitan] #7480717 04/07/19 06:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Which one I have two of them... grin

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What is your end game plan for your Trophy Collection [Re: stxranchman] #7480738 04/07/19 06:25 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Which one I have two of them... grin
the pedestal right by the recliner
lizard

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide