Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Bucc-ees Stand and fill review #7455911 03/11/19 07:55 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
So, we have ventured out and bought a couple of these. I was only looking to get one, but a couple weeks later, we bought another one. I did as much research as I could before buying, because like others, we were concerned with the quality. We were looking for a stand and fill only and I like the fact that they are 12V motors and do not require a varmint cage of any kind. Most importantly, I liked the price point, $399. They definitely have a few minor design flaws, but I think I have addressed those as well as I could. Here is my review after the first couple of months.

It is advertised as a 600# feeder. I cannot confirm or deny. We used corn out of an existing feeder the first time around, but I will say that it is close to that number. Comes complete with everything but the battery. I like "The Timer" better than this one, but it seems to keep good time to this point, and is simple enough to set up. I think if I ever have to replace it, I will go back to The Timer. The solar panel is located on the lower corner of one of the sides. I almost wish it was on the lid. However,the battery shows a full charge every time I have checked it. I assume the solar panel is working as it should.

The first feeder is set up without a pen. I saw on another forum, where a member bought a air vent from Home Depot and attached a lid to cover the exposed motor. I did this as well. If a pig got mad enough at it, I think they could get it off. I did this mainly to keep the coons from doing their gymnastics routine off the motor and wiring. I also attached a piece of 1" square tubing with 1/4" bolts on the open side of the legs in order to keep medium-larger sized pigs from getting under it. This also allowed me to have a good anchoring point for T-post. I assume once it gets empty, the pigs and/or cows will push it around pretty easily. I have it set up on the lowest "power" setting and it throws corn at a minimum of 10 paces in every direction. I have had zero issues with this feeder throwing corn up to this point. I will say it is working as it should.

Second feeder is located inside a feeder pen. I also attached the vent on this one to protect the motor as well. I did not attach the square tubing or use T-post to secure it. It is just sitting in the pen. Again, setup was fairly simple and we had it going in no time. This one is set up on the lowest setting as well and kept all the corn inside the feed pen. On the second trip out after the initial set up, when I tested it, it worked as it should but something didn't sound right. I tested it again and the motor was laboring to spin and finally just stopped short of the complete feed spin time. The corn was piling up around and under the spin plate to where it wouldn't allow the motor to spin. I cleaned it out and tested again. I was hoping it was just a fluke. On the third trip out, same problem. After I tested it, the motor bogged down again. I cleaned it out again and bumped the power up to the medium setting and tested it until the ground was gold with corn. Hopefully this has fixed the issue. If not, It will be hard to fix with it full of corn. I am not sure what the solution will be. Only problem with it on the medium setting, it throws a small amount outside of the pen. As long as it continues to work, I will be OK with this.

I will continue to update if anyone is interested. I will also get some pics when I can. I wish I would have done that this weekend, I didn't think about it.

Last edited by jrfan; 03/11/19 08:26 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7455947 03/11/19 08:41 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Thanks for the report. I'm going to have a couple of stand and fill feeders by Fall.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7455988 03/11/19 09:26 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
I’m interested... you can text the pics to me if you have problems posting them.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7456026 03/11/19 09:54 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Thanks for the report. I've had mine set on high power all of last season and it ran flawless. I don't think it's a good idea to turn down the RPM's with the spinner being sandwiched between the two steel plates 2cents

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: titan2232] #7456589 03/12/19 03:16 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
I’m interested... you can text the pics to me if you have problems posting them.

Thanks, I just haven't taken any. I'll get some next time I'm out.

Originally Posted by titan2232
Thanks for the report. I've had mine set on high power all of last season and it ran flawless. I don't think it's a good idea to turn down the RPM's with the spinner being sandwiched between the two steel plates 2cents

Only reason I set it set on low was to keep the corn inside the pen. The other feeder is running fine on low. I think for some reason, the second one has more room between the bottom metal and the spin plate. I'm curious to see if the added RPM's will keep it clear.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7458625 03/14/19 10:32 PM
S
spanish13 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I’m looking for two of them. I live in the San Antonio area so if anyone knows if the New Braunfels store has stock let me know.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7463484 03/20/19 07:44 PM
A
axisbuck Online Content
Light Foot
Online Content
Light Foot
A
Varmint cages are soo 2017 ..The newest feeders @ buccees have a metal cover that closes off the exposed motor wires. I have been using these feeders last season and they work well. Battery stays charged, coons and pigs haven't messed with it yet, on high rpm throws great inside a 10 panel pen and a decent entry level price point. On a side note if you fill it all the way up to 12bags you will notice a lil sagging near the spinner..it hasn't affected the throwing distance yet..

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7463846 03/21/19 03:31 AM
C
Cajunrotor Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Good info in this thread. Does anyone know if these feeders are a regular long-term stock item at Buccee's are just a temporary thing? I'm in between leases at the moment and don't want to deal with moving/storing any more gear at this time.

texas

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7463849 03/21/19 03:37 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
They tend to carry hunting stuff year round, I've seen them there since deer season around here.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: Cajunrotor] #7464123 03/21/19 02:11 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Cajunrotor
Good info in this thread. Does anyone know if these feeders are a regular long-term stock item at Buccee's are just a temporary thing? I'm in between leases at the moment and don't want to deal with moving/storing any more gear at this time.

texas

The new store in Denton has them year round. They had quite a few last time I looked.

I am heading out this weekend, I will update with pictures.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7464710 03/21/19 11:32 PM
G
gtrich94 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
How much do they weigh? I’ve been thinking about getting one of the 300lb guys, but I need something a single person can move around.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: gtrich94] #7465465 03/22/19 08:39 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gtrich94
How much do they weigh? I’ve been thinking about getting one of the 300lb guys, but I need something a single person can move around.

I loaded/unloaded this by myself. They don't weigh much, just bulky.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7467361 03/24/19 08:52 PM
B
buck_hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I have been thinking about getting one of these feeders in a couple of weeks. Let me know how they have been working out for you.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7467370 03/24/19 09:01 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've had one for about a year on my lease. Bought another for our ranch. We plan to replace a couple more of our feeders with them this summer.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7467448 03/24/19 09:53 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I bought one back in January and it sat in my shop until yesterday. Finally got it out to replace an old cheapo tripod feeder. I was also concerned with exposed motor, so I took an old coffee can and covered motor using liquid nails. I also made additional braces for the two expos d sides using tin and self tapping screws.

I didn’t fill top cuz I wanted to test for a bit first, but did put in 300 pounds and it was right at halfway full. On test, slung corn the advertised 40’ at least. Easy set up and fill.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7467870 03/25/19 02:05 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I used a tin can to cover as well. The new ones have a better set up.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7468292 03/25/19 02:40 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
UPDATE....

All in all, everything was status quo. They were both working as the should. I took some pics to show the setups.

Feeder #1 (no pen).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is the 2 pcs. of 1" square tubing I added to keep some of the larger pigs out from under it. I placed them below where the corn is thrown to keep from deflecting.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is the vent I added to cover the motor. I also added a sprinkler valve box lid to the bottom to keep prying hands off.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This feeder is set on low. It throws just over 19' in all directions.
[Linked Image]

There is a hole inside here where the wiring for the timer comes through. It is quite a bit bigger than it should be, so this allows some corn to come up through. I have since added some duct tape to fix this.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7468305 03/25/19 02:48 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Feeder #2 (inside a feed pen)
[Linked Image]

Same motor setup as feeder #1
[Linked Image]

According to my phone, this pic was taken at 821, so time is fairly accurate and battery has stayed full charged.
[Linked Image]

I didn't take a picture, but this feeder is set on medium to correct the issues I was having before. It throws just over 25'.

So, in a nutshell, all is good. If something changes I will update again. hope this helps.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7468326 03/25/19 02:57 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
jrfan - quick question. Curious why you added vent hole for "motor box"? I thought about this as well, mostly thinking about moisture, but then did not add because I didn't want to give mud dobbers, wasps, etc. access. I can easily add a vent hole, but again, curious on thoughts to why.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: Dalroo] #7468338 03/25/19 03:08 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dalroo
jrfan - quick question. Curious why you added vent hole for "motor box"? I thought about this as well, mostly thinking about moisture, but then did not add because I didn't want to give mud dobbers, wasps, etc. access. I can easily add a vent hole, but again, curious on thoughts to why.

I didn't add a vent "hole". The motor and wiring are exposed from the factory. I was concerned about coons/pigs being able to get to it and damage it. The "vent" that I added was just to help protect/cover the exposed motor. Someone mentioned above that ASF has redesigned to fix this. I have not personally seen one yet though.

Last edited by jrfan; 03/25/19 03:40 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7468407 03/25/19 04:12 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
jrfan, and others for that matter........do you happen to have a link to the vent cover you guys are using? Home Depot's version isn't avialable, and not sure what you call it? Thanks, and thanks for the great pics. Looks like this will serve my purpose exactly.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7468415 03/25/19 04:18 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
My feeder came with the actual ASF timer. Both of yours has this timer?

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: titan2232] #7468541 03/25/19 06:16 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jgraider
jrfan, and others for that matter........do you happen to have a link to the vent cover you guys are using? Home Depot's version isn't avialable, and not sure what you call it? Thanks, and thanks for the great pics. Looks like this will serve my purpose exactly.

I think this is it. However the one I bought did not have the damper. I din't pay that much either. All in with the lid I think was less than $15.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Speedi-...d-Gasket-with-Damper-SM-ATD-06/206199004

I used the lid off of this and screwed it to the bottom of the vent to close it off.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-6-in-Plastic-Round-Box-with-Overlapping-ICV-Cover-107BC/100377386

Originally Posted by titan2232
My feeder came with the actual ASF timer. Both of yours has this timer?

I don't think so. I think they are a "EZ Timer"?? But when I googled ASF's timer, it looks identical to the these.

Last edited by jrfan; 03/25/19 06:23 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7468618 03/25/19 07:41 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jrfan
Originally Posted by Dalroo

I didn't add a vent "hole". The motor and wiring are exposed from the factory. I was concerned about coons/pigs being able to get to it and damage it. The "vent" that I added was just to help protect/cover the exposed motor. Someone mentioned above that ASF has redesigned to fix this. I have not personally seen one yet though.

On edit.....
I re-read your question. I didn't add any holes to the vent covering the motor/wiring. I think the one you're seeing is for a damper that can be added for its original purpose. Sorry if I am missing something else, let me know.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #7468716 03/25/19 09:09 PM
S
supersixfour Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I bought one in January from the Denton store, mine was labeled ASF.

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide