Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cooking Accidents/Oopsies #7462737 03/19/19 10:00 PM
Cast Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Do you ever have them? I do occasionally. Mom was a little prone to them. She once grabbed the cinnamon can thinking it was pepper and poured a bunch into a huge pot of garden fresh soup. She tried to save it but it was done. Cinnamon veggie soup. Dad still ate it, we didn’t. Another time she somehow managed to add sugar to a bowl of tuna salad she was making. I don’t think she knew until I asked her what made the tuna so good this time. She tasted it and said she didn’t know. I told my wife that story the other day when she was stirring up some tuna. She added a pinch of dark brown sugar without telling me. It was our first solid white tuna in water and I said how much better it tasted. She grinned and told me about the sugar. We add it now to all tuna salad. Try it!

One of mom’s most memorable oopsies was the potato salad incident. She and I were the only ones there to see it and she took it to her grave.

We were feeding a large family get together. We had stirred up one of those huge Tupperware salad bowls brim full with potato salad. All it lacked was boiled eggs which were going on top so they could be bypassed if needed. Mom was slicing the boiled eggs, I was fooling with baked beans when I heard her gasp. She had sliced about 1/8” off the end of her finger. She was grabbing for a dish towel to wrap her hand and freaking out about the tater salad. Well, she went and bandaged her finger and I cleaned up the potato salad. There were several drops of blood in it, and a bonus cut of finger meat. We decided to clam up and serve it. She was asked about her finger at dinner. ‘Just a little nick.’ I miss mom.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7462746 03/19/19 10:14 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Confused parsley for cilantro once. Was not good.

Last night I was trying to grill chicken halves. About 10 minutes in and the propane tank runs out. No biggie, got spares. Except my son used them and didn't tell me or replace them! Had to run to another tank. Finally got it going again and asked my wife to keep an eye on it from the kitchen while I was fixing the front license plate on her car. Was all bent up and I straightened it out and got a metal frame for it to protect it. Well, she left... didn't tell me. Had some blackened chicken last night. Was not funny at the time but I'm over it now.

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7462752 03/19/19 10:22 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
LOL ... I might have too many to list.

one my grandmother oopsied on circa 1970 when she was already pushing in her late 80s ... she was staying with us after an ill spell, decided to make dinner and one of her go too meals was a ham & potato casserole of sorts. We all belly up to the table and I scoop a bunch of the casserole onto my plate. This was back in the day when you cleaned your plate cause there were people starving in Africa, so don't waste anything (in other words only put what you plan on eating on your plate). I took a HUGE spoonful bite and immediately realized something was WAY off barf ... My brother did the same thing. We both got a very stern look from my dad to which I meekly said have you tried it yet? Once he took his first bite, he immediately looked at my mother and shook his head NO. Mom gave him a similar stern look as she took her first bite and I thought her eyes were going to roll back into her head. She immediately looked over at the stove to see pepper shaker and a Comet cleaner container sitting beside the dish. Grandma's eyes were getting pretty bad and she grabbed the Comet thinking it was salt. Needless to say once she realized what happened, she was overly embarrassed ... but that was one of the few times I didn't have to eat everything on my plate.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7462753 03/19/19 10:22 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I seasoned some cast iron skillets with oil.

Don't hate me...

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7462756 03/19/19 10:28 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Gas grill wouldn’t start after three tries. 4th time it lit. Bye bye eye brows and eye lashes.....always let a grill air out if it doesn’t start on the first try. And don’t lean over it when starting. That was when I was 16 years old. Never made that mistake again.

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7462766 03/19/19 10:36 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Not me, but a lady at work brought in a big plate of deviled eggs for an office Christmas party one year. She'd mistaken the red pepper for the paprika to sprinkle on top. I iked 'em just fine! Most didn't.

A few times I've gotten, um, distracted, from watching my ribs on the smoker and gal and I end up ordering a pizza.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7462796 03/19/19 11:32 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How do you come up with the great threads you post on THF? Last one I remember was salt instead of sugar in my coleslaw.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7462941 03/20/19 02:02 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I was in a hurry one night last year and burnt a roux. First and last time I ever tried to make fast roux. Was cooking in an Extended Stay America hotel room and filled my room and the hallway up with smoke. I didn’t know that they had the window screwed shut, so couldn’t air out. Neighbors were freaking out a little.

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: skinnerback] #7462965 03/20/19 02:31 AM
T
trapperben Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I was working in Metroplex staying at an extended stay. One evening I got their cast iron skillet smoking hot and threw a nice Tbone in it. I was admiring how it was searing until the smoke alarm went off. I called the front desk to shut it off and they told me the fire department would do it. Pretty embarrassing hearing sirens on their way due to what I thought was a steak being cooked about perfect. The firemen admired it.

I also was seasoning a turkey I was going to beer can and was using a big sam's container of garlic pepper, lid came off and I had a uncooked black turkey. I scraped most off ended up being the best turkey I ever cooked.

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7462986 03/20/19 03:15 AM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
My mother in law used to make a dessert using .crescent rolls, apples and mountain dew soda. My son really liked it. One day she had made the dessert and my son got a big helping and he took a big bite and he immediately spit it back on the plate. I scolded him for doing what he did and he told me that something is wrong with it and it tasted terrible. I then got me some and took a bite and it was pretty bad. I told my mother in law about the dessert before others got some and she said that she made it like she always did. We then looked in the trash to see if the rolls were expired or something and saw on the package that one of the two crescent rolls she used was GARLIC Crescent rolls.(packages looked very similar) She was so upset at herself she never made that dessert again. To this day, my son is very cautious when he takes the first bite of anything that she has made.

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7463148 03/20/19 01:27 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I currently have a pepper shaker with a removable sifter lid. The first time I used it the sifter lid fell off into the pot of potatoes I was seasoning along with way too much pepper. It took me several instances like that to finally remember it and put my finger over it when I used it. Thank the lord that container of pepper is almost empty.

Ive been known to forget things. Start eating with the last chicken fried backstrap steak still finishing in the pan only to blacken it, don't the same with the last basket of fried fish or French fries etc. way too many times.

Lord knows there are many more. I started cooking young, ive eaten many of my own weird concoctions.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7463165 03/20/19 01:43 PM
G
greenen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Plain instead of sef-rising flour for biscuits at the deer cabin. Hockey pucks.

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7463254 03/20/19 03:06 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
She is much better now, but when we were first married, my wife had a few mishaps. The most memorable, one evening for dinner she made goulash. As we sat down, I was buttering a role while she took the first bite of the goulash. I noticed she was then watching me as I took my first bite, and struggled to swallow. She commented that I didn't have to eat it if I didn't like it. I didn't. Asked why it tasted different and she confessed that she had forgotten to pick up tomato paste while shopping and had instead substituted with Ketchup. Not a good result.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7465663 03/23/19 12:17 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
One that will always be there was my Mom's little mistake. She's made a big bowl of salad and accidentally used Mr Clean instead of vinegar.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7466299 03/23/19 06:14 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
My daughter was helping out with supper after school and she wanted some Lipton (Knorr) Pasta Sides Fettuccini made in the microwave.
She got it all ready while I was outside cooking the steaks and chicken breasts. I came back in the house and the smoke alarms were going off and the kitchen was really smokey.
Turns out she missed reading that it required 2 cups of water, all she put in was a tablespoon of butter. We found out you can start a fire in the microwave. We still laugh about this from time to time.

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7466872 03/24/19 07:01 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
A half hour to long at 300 for wings on the smoker
[Linked Image]

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7467205 03/24/19 05:48 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Dang you Cast. Had a great record. Just dropped a soup spoon into my disposal while it was running. Good thing I never need a full set.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7467215 03/24/19 06:05 PM
Cast Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Oopsie

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7468007 03/25/19 04:41 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
My Webber had a nice build up on the grease pan I was not aware of. The four $80 in NY Strips from Central Market didn't fare so well... Friend said, that's a lot of smoke out the window. I ran out and ripped the pan out. We got about 8 bites out of each steak after cutting the char. Was pretty funny though minus the cost. Not sure why we're inside but sisnt help! I clean that much more often now. Hell, I use cast iron mostly now.

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7468272 03/25/19 02:25 PM
K
KingHunter17 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
My brother once was going to cook some mac and cheese. He put the mac in a pot and started to boil the water when he went into his room and played video games. Well he forgot about the mac and when my mom came home she found the mac still on the stove with all the water boiled out and the mac now smoking. The whole house was full of smoke but he was in his room with the door shut so could not really smell it.

If the trigger is gold, the birds will fold.
Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7468334 03/25/19 03:06 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Not me, but colleague was warming a bagel in the break room microwave. Meant to set for 20 seconds, but instead set for 2 hours. Knucklehead then got a call and forgot the bagel. The bagel did not catch on fire, but after about 15 minutes or so it became a charred hockey puck and all of the smoke alarms started beeping. The smell was horrible and the break room kept the smell for months.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7469717 03/26/19 06:46 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Ruined a chicken and rice casserole once. Had sprayed oven cleaner in the oven a couple days before but didn't wipe it out. Put casserole in and went out to feed dog, came back in and the smoke was thick. And nasty smelling. Now I had ruined a dinner (just married & broke) and had a nasty mess in the oven to clean up. Good times.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Cast] #7471995 03/29/19 01:16 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Great stories!!! FUNNY

mine was my first and ONLY deep fried Turkey..........in the garage...............with too much oil in the pot........................ flame

it was ugly

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Buzzsaw] #7472337 03/29/19 01:43 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Great stories!!! FUNNY

mine was my first and ONLY deep fried Turkey..........in the garage...............with too much oil in the pot........................ flame

it was ugly

Dad & I had some good times catching the yard on fire Many Thanksgiving mornings. I bet it got a little hairy in the garage.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Cooking Accidents/Oopsies [Re: Buzzsaw] #7472619 03/29/19 05:56 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Great stories!!! FUNNY

it was ugly

In the garage!?!?!! Anything else too much of to try it in there!!! eek2

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide