Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Experiences with poachers? #7460611 03/17/19 02:21 PM
10 Gauge Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I have one. Hunting Fort Bragg, I walked up on two fresh deer carcasses where I had planned to hunt myself, at a clearing adjacent to a tributary to one of the on post lakes. One was a doe, with backstraps and hindquarters removed, the other presumably a buck but the head and obviously any other proof of sex had been removed with the hind quarters, along with backstraps. The rest of the deer had not even been skinned out. Other than that, the animals were completely intact and not even skinned or gutted past the point they needed to cut for the meat. I could hear ATV's and offroad trucks close nearby tearing up the land and just playing out there by the lake too. Very close by, but out of view due to the terrain and vegetation.

Anyway, every animal has to be taken to the weigh station and checked in, and examined by a wildife biologist for age. So there was law number one. Also removed proof of sex, number two. Dumped the carcasses in the training area, number three, and finally illegal to drive like that in there, number four. There was a main trail coming from a nearby public road a half mile out from the lake too. I would bet they weren't even legal to hunt Fort Bragg at all. So obviously I reported it and took pictures.

I reported it to the wildlife department and spent the rest of my day talking to the MP's. They disptched one MP, in a dang car that wouldn't even make it off the hardball road, who refused to even get out and walk to the dam on the lake to meet me or look at the carcasses. My truck was a good two miles away downwind from the spot, I explained to him I couldn't just jump in my truck and run to see him. Not to mention it took them like three hours to even come out, and by then I had the woods to myself. I'd dropped pins on the carcasses and my location at the dam, right off the main trail. He never dropped me any pins and my phone died because he kept calling, asking me to go back and take more/better pictures to ehich I obliged. He asked if it could have been coyotes or somethjng etc he obviously didn't want to deal with it. So I showed him where the lower leg had been sawed off for proof it was poachers. Anyway with about 8 different trails to access this lake, I had my work cut out for me trying to find his tail. I got lucky and found him at the first acces point coming off the main road.

They had initially tried to get the game warden out but he was taking care of something else. Several calls were made, and I had to wait for him out there with the mp until about 8PM. It was dark by 5:30. They made several calls game warden but he never showed, or even have the decency to say he wasn't coming until it was that late.

Anyway, anybody got a story about catching a poachers? Hopefully yours ended better than mine. After that experience, I would be hard pressed not to SSS.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Experiences with poachers? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7460849 03/17/19 05:56 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Camera's

Re: Experiences with poachers? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7460952 03/17/19 08:52 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
We had an instance where the neighbors were poaching off a place we had. I knew one of the cousins of the alleged poachers so I placed a call to him and told him that he needed to tell whoever it was coming across the fence ( they had corn being thrown on the other side of the fence, it had been cut, multiple entrances/exits, etc.) that if they got caught over there on the other side of the fence it wouldn't be good for them. it was kinda a landlocked piece that was cut off by a river, you had to have a 4 wheeler to get across it so it was isolated from the main body of the ranch and I guess they figured it was an island so to speak that they had access to.

About 15 min later the alleged person calls me asking for permission to hunt over there. after politely telling him no several times, he admitted to having hunted there for 15 years. I repeated to him that if they were caught over there it would not end up in there favor. Since the phone call we never saw any evidence of poaching there again.

I think they were mainly running hogs with dogs but i'm sure they took their share of deer off the place as well in years prior.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Experiences with poachers? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7461509 03/18/19 03:39 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Couple of run-ins in my time. Two were while living in Indiana. The first was captured on my game camera as he packed out his climbing tree stand. I set up a few more along the route he traveled and got a couple more pictures. Finally figured out where he was hunting and found his stand at the base of a tree. Still have it. Never saw another sign of a trespasser/poacher again. Maybe the note I left warned him off.
Same place, just off the road down near a creek. I found 7 deer, all head-shot except for one with no head. All had been high-graded (backstraps and hindquarters removed). Contacted the GW there and was told unless THEY caught them dumping, there wasn't much he could do about it.
Last one was here in Texas. Near Brady. Neighbor came over and asked if any of us were hunting there during the week as someone had shot a couple of his lambs and took one of them. We said no. We were walking around our lease and found a few gut-piles that weren't ours. We finally figured out whoever was poaching was coming on our property through an old wire gate that was chained and padlocked. They'd clipped the wires on the other end and made a 'new' gate. Called the GW on that and told him what was going on. He said he'd watch for it. Thanks to one of the guys on the lease, we set up a 2x8x12 piece of wood out inside that wire gate with spikes driven through it.
Got a call from the GW that there was a pickup on the road with two flat tires and he'd be watching that evening. That night, 4 HS kids came out to change out the tires and got busted. Seems the back of their truck had blood all over it. Never had another problem out there.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Experiences with poachers? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7462012 03/19/19 12:46 AM
N
nuprofessor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Dad and I were cutting firewood on a friends property. He had some logging done and told us we could cut what we wanted from the treetops. I was hauling wood up to the truck when I tripped over something. Fell pretty hard. Dad came over and saw I had stepped in a hole and tripped. The hole was newly dug and had a fresh deer hoof sticking out. Being it was August and no season open until late October that year, we tried pulling the leg out. In the dirt was a shirt and pants also. My Dad saw there was a lot of blood on them. In the pocket my Dad found a utility receipt with a name on it. We called the Conservation Agent (our ‘Game Warden’). He came out and looked over the place and dug up what he could find in the hole (almost an entire carcass except the head& hind quarters). We heard back later that a person had been charged with hunting out of season, taking deer out of season, and wanton waste.

CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE FOR TOMORROW. INVEST IN TOMORROW BY TAKING A CHILD HUNTING OR FISHING TODAY.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide