Page 1 of 2 1 2
How Do you Measure Success #7458947 03/15/19 11:59 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
For a deer hunting season? The number of deer seen, the quality of deer seen notwithstanding numbers seen, the size of antlers on a buck taken, the age of buck taken - irrespective of antler size, all of the these - combination of these - none of these and something else? For me personally, seeing some quality of bucks for the area that I am hunting whether I harvest or not is what keeps me motivated, season-season. What say you???

Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7458957 03/15/19 12:13 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
How much I've laughed around a campfire with other hunters.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7458966 03/15/19 12:26 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Deer meat in an ice chest without injury to myself or others.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: Creekrunner] #7458987 03/15/19 01:03 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

This and watching nature......as long as I have animals, sunrise and sunset to watch the killing is the icing on the cake for me.

I do get a kick out of finding what I think will be a great set for hunting and watching it all come together like I hoped it would be.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 03/15/19 01:04 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7458999 03/15/19 01:13 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Every second I'm in the field and not working is a big win for me.

Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459002 03/15/19 01:15 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Any hunt for me is about finding, hunting and harvesting the oldest and largest animal in any particular location I am hunting be it the deer lease, the mountains of WY, the plains of AB, etc.... Sure, I have a good time with the process, but ultimately for me at my age now it's all about the results.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: Creekrunner] #7459012 03/15/19 01:21 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I gotta agree with Creekrunner.....
Adios,
Gary

Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459063 03/15/19 02:03 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
All of my gear and I getting to do its purpose, and do it well.

Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459079 03/15/19 02:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
It’s success as soon as my tires touch dirt. Even if that means the next three days involve shovels, chains, winches and tractors.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459096 03/15/19 02:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I measure it based off in large part of the game seen and game taken.

Although one of the funnest trips I’ve ever had was last year in Colorado. I didn’t get a elk but did see a 190” mule deer and hunted with two guys instead of 6 and it was much much better. Had a lot of fun.

But l like seeing game and taking game. That’s the reason I’m out there.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459100 03/15/19 02:37 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
By making it to another ( whatever ) season intact & in good health.

Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459101 03/15/19 02:38 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I think success is based off of killing the amount of deer you want to kill every time. I’ve gotten to where I don’t care if I ever kill another one, so every trip is a success for me.

Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459118 03/15/19 02:53 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I hate to admit it, but in the past it was the amount of game in the freezer vs the money spent. I'm not poor or indigent, either. Just a mentality I guess. Mostly small game with an air rifle.

Now it is based mostly on the kid's success, whether they had fun, whether they want to go back out. I got the youngest boy hooked on squirrel hunting. We only got a few this year but it doesn't matter- what matters is he can't wait to go squirrel hunting again.

Ensuring the kid's success will definitely change your outlook on cost vs. return. The air rifle was my primary hunting tool, now it's a shotgun. Pretty much used to keep only Remington game loads, #6 shot because they are $5 for 25. Now I have tried every 12 guage #4 load on the store shelf nearby to ensure success. Nothing like hitting a big fox squirrel 3 times in a row to see it run off crippled, to shame you into putting more money AND effort into it. Especially when it happens in front of your kid smirk We pretty much use nothing but Remington Express #4's now for all small game hunting. Overall it has been a blast smile

I hope the girls will be the same as the boy.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 03/15/19 02:55 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: Choctaw] #7459132 03/15/19 03:03 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Agree with this. I enjoy putting in the off season work just as much as hunting.

Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: Choctaw] #7459143 03/15/19 03:14 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459152 03/15/19 03:24 PM
T
Tony270 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
With a RULER!!! banana

3G Ranch
Montell,TX
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459172 03/15/19 03:47 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
How many memories did we make?

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: Choctaw] #7459186 03/15/19 04:01 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Amen to that

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459200 03/15/19 04:12 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I get a great deal of satisfaction in seeing newbies have some success. To have shared their joy in an experience that will last them a lifetime, does it for me.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: Creekrunner] #7459227 03/15/19 04:35 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T

100% agree. Also agree with pitchfork AND believe it or not agree with Choctaw and DH3.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7459266 03/15/19 05:25 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

100% agree. Also agree with pitchfork AND believe it or not agree with Choctaw and DH3.

I agree with all of these on this subject.

Out in the woods way from the City is a great thing in its self. There was a time I wanted to fill out my limit of what ever then wanted the oldest biggest I could find, now just enjoy the nature and time with Friends and Family. I get my best sleep in the woods while hunting and if I miss seeing something due to a nap so be it. I still like to take a couple deer a year because I really enjoy the meat.

.Some of the funnest hunts I have done over the years are helping with TYHP hunts. Sharing the excitement of the kids and perhaps teaching them a little about this sport we love and the outdoors.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459311 03/15/19 06:34 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
After reading this thread, I think I'd like to hunt with many of you, sounds like we may be kindred spirits. I measure success in hunting by the amount of time spent outdoors, pitting yourself against worthy prey, trying to put yourself in a position to be successful. It is the pursuit and -hopefully- killing of an animal that will provide meat for my family and friends. It is the time spent with those friends and family, sharing a passion, focusing on a common goal, communing with nature, and enjoying the great outdoors of our beautiful state of Texas (and beyond). Hunting success is relaxing around a fire after a tough day, telling stories and laughing. And it is the passing of the torch to the next generation of Texas hunters, the lessons of self-sufficiency and grit that we got from those who taught us and who we remember fondly.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459422 03/15/19 10:16 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Success for me is getting away from the city, watching animals, enjoying time in the blind with my wife and witnessing the joy she gets when she has success. Rarely have a bad day at the lease except when its muddy, but even then its better than working.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7459437 03/15/19 10:52 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

Yep.. As an outfitter we have lot's of metrics we keep. Deer herd numbers. Number of bucks harvested. B&C Score. Number of Texas Big Game Awards. But only thing I really care about anymore is the number of smiles had and memories made. up

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: How Do you Measure Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7459532 03/16/19 12:38 AM
D
Duck Buster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
My answer is solely meant to raise more questions on a topic I find very interesting, and not to call anyone out.

I found this thread (and everyones responses) very interesting, particularly because I am involved in another email based forum between wildlife professionals from around the world and this topic comes up regularly. The topic of measuring hunters success and why people hunt is very hard to quantify, and difficult to ascertain whether people lie or not about it. And it is a hot topic right now given the R3 (recruitment, retention, reactivation) push in a lot of state and non-profit agencies to increase hunters/hunting license sales. So many of the points I bring up are questions commonly asked on the other forum I am on, and not meant to target anybody in particular.

The reason I say it is difficult to ascertain whether people lie is largely because many answers in the surveys are all very similar, and revolve around safe answers: "watching the sun come up, spending time with friends and family, number of smiles, etc". On this thread, many are willing to admit/ tangentially say that true success to them is killing an animal. I fear many of us use those "safe" answers elsewhere because those are accepted answers from society as a whole- wherein lies the problem. We do not want to answer in a way that will make hunting/hunters look bad, plus you are less likely to be pestered or looked down upon (even among hunters) than admitting you measure success, or the reason why you hunt is because you enjoy killing your food. Do we just want to be accepted by each other, and say we have similar gauges of success or reasons to hunt even if we are lying to each other? Are those safe answers used by others to make them feel morally superior to those who admit success to them is to kill an animal?

My definition of success changes based on scale of day, season, lifetime, etc. Since the OP specified season, my answer stays the same: did i bring home meat for myself and my family? TO ME, coming home alive, safe, etc is necessary for success in all aspects of my life. Not just in hunting.

So, If you weren't out there to kill something as your primary driver, would you still spend as much money as you do to get these "experiences"? Would you get up and go watch sunrises every day/weekend, or would you sleep in and miss those sunrises and be none-the-wiser, just like the days you aren't hunting? Why not go camping and hang out with family and friends at a state/county/city park instead of at a lease? You will still likely see wildlife, still hang out with friends, still see sunrises but for a whole lot less money and work. Do you consider it a MORE successful season if you do harvest an animal, instead of just watching sunrises, making memories etc?

I am not here to judge. I give the same "safe" answers given I don't know my audience. I am guilty of it, but honestly say that I don't get up just to watch a sunrise regularly if I am not hunting/fishing or happen to see it while driving to work. I hang out with friends and family while not hunting- that isn't my only opportunity. I could spend the money for those experiences elsewhere that I get from hunting, but choose not to. At the root of it, ultimately I do measure my success by killing an animal and bringing it home. THAT is ultimately why I hunt, all the other reasons are just bonuses that I cherish as well- and not the drivers of why i hunt or spend time outdoors. But I am likely an outlier in the US hunting population as a whole, because I hunt hard and I hunt often, where harvesting/killing my food is my main motivation.

I know our individual definition of success as we go through life does change. But has your primary reason for hunting changed? Are you more in it for the "outdoor experience", or for the hunt? I am sure some answers from this thread were 100% truthful, depending on the that persons experiences through life. But, I do wonder ultimately how truthful we are, even on a hunting forum with mostly like-minded people? How many people didn't want to admit they hunt and measure success as killing an animal and bringing it home? And why should we be ashamed if it is?

Like I said, my answer is solely meant to make you think critically on a topic I find very interesting, and not to attack anyone.

One thing I do ask, is if you are ever part of a hunting survey asking your reasoning for hunting, or how you measure success, be TRUTHFUL. Look at the underlying reason within yourself behind your answers. If they give you options, and your reason isn't on there, write it in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide