Print Thread
Advice please #7457173 03/13/19 04:39 AM
H
HornSlayer Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
My GSP will be coming in soon and we wanted to get a litter of pups out of her. I sent her test in and it came back she was a "Carrier" for Type 2 von willebrand disease. She hasn't shown any signs of the disease so far. The literature I've found says we could still get a litter of pups from a clean stub but that seems to me unlikely. I think that up to a forth of the litter would also be carriers? What's everyone's thoughts on this issue?

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Advice please [Re: HornSlayer] #7457311 03/13/19 01:29 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Never heard of that disease

Re: Advice please [Re: 68rustbucket] #7457505 03/13/19 05:13 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Never heard of that disease

Me either

Bobby Barnett

Re: Advice please [Re: HornSlayer] #7457515 03/13/19 05:28 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
i have never heard of it either but it seems to be a blood clotting issue. I found this on a vet MD site.

Many dogs with vWD never show outward evidence of having the disease. Others may spontaneously hemorrhage from the nose, vagina, urinary bladder or oral mucous membranes. Prolonged bleeding after trauma or surgery is a common clinical finding, and bruising or bleeding after a surgical sterilization procedure (spaying or neutering) may be the first time any abnormality is noticed. Females may bleed excessively after giving birth. In affected dogs with uncontrollable bleeding, death may occur.

If it was me, I would not breed her as it would put her at risk for complications or even death,
...not to mention passing on the genes.

[Linked Image]
Re: Advice please [Re: HornSlayer] #7457528 03/13/19 05:54 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
If you do breed her, only breed her to another GSP that has had genetic testing and is not a carrier.

https://www.pawprintgenetics.com/products/tests/details/104/

Genetic testing of the VWF gene will reliably determine whether a dog is a genetic Carrier of von Willebrand disease II. Von Willebrand disease II is inherited in an Autosomal Recessive manner in dogs meaning that they must receive two copies of the mutated gene (one from each parent) to develop the disease. In general, carrier dogs do not have features of the disease but when bred with another carrier of the same Mutation, there is a risk of having affected pups. Each pup that is born to this pairing has a 25% chance of inheriting the disease and a 50% chance of being a carrier of the VWF gene mutation. Reliable genetic testing is important for determining breeding practices. In order to eliminate this mutation from breeding lines and to avoid the potential of producing affected pups, breeding of known carriers to each other is not recommended. Dogs that are not carriers of the mutation have no increased risk of having affected pups.

Re: Advice please [Re: First_Chance] #7457531 03/13/19 05:57 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by First_Chance
i have never heard of it either but it seems to be a blood clotting issue. I found this on a vet MD site.

Many dogs with vWD never show outward evidence of having the disease. Others may spontaneously hemorrhage from the nose, vagina, urinary bladder or oral mucous membranes. Prolonged bleeding after trauma or surgery is a common clinical finding, and bruising or bleeding after a surgical sterilization procedure (spaying or neutering) may be the first time any abnormality is noticed. Females may bleed excessively after giving birth. In affected dogs with uncontrollable bleeding, death may occur.

If it was me, I would not breed her as it would put her at risk for complications or even death,
...not to mention passing on the genes.

His dog is only a carrier of the gene.
"In general, carrier dogs do not have features of the disease but when bred with another carrier of the same Mutation, there is a risk of having affected pups."

Re: Advice please [Re: HornSlayer] #7457548 03/13/19 06:11 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Another good explanation.

https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/sects/coag/clinical/vonwill/inherit.cfm

Inheritance and expression patterns of vWD differ between breeds. All males and females have 2 vWF genes, one inherited from dam and one from sire. In many breeds, the presence of 1 abnormal vWF gene appears sufficient to cause abnormal bleeding in some (but not all) dogs. Dogs having 2 abnormal genes express the most severe forms of vWD.

Breeding Recommendations Use vWD diagnostic ranges as guidelines to reduce the prevalence of vWD within a family or line, without discriminating against all dogs in that line. Screening for vWD will ensure that no severely affected puppies are produced.

Dogs that test in the normal range (vWF:Ag greater than 70%) are ideal for use in breeding programs. Matings between 2 vWD test-clear parents are predicted to produce only vWD clear pups. Progeny testing (testing parents and entire litter) is useful for confirming predicted genetic status based on a single vWF:Ag value. Progeny testing can help clarify the status of a borderline range parent.

In some cases, dogs that test in the vWD abnormal range (provided they do not express a bleeding tendency) may also be used for breeding. Carriers should be bred to test-clear, and ideally progeny test proven clear mates. Some puppies in these matings will test in the normal range. By increasing the number of clear to clear matings in subsequent generations, the proportion of vWD carriers in a line will be gradually reduced, without losing desirable traits. Carrier to carrier matings are undesirable, because these crosses are likely o produce the most severe form of vWD in offspring. Do not breed any dog that expresses abnormal or excessive hemorrhage.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide