Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Laying down on point #7454767 03/09/19 11:48 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
It would lower your score on the find in NSTRA. Frank was Pallidan bread pointer. We lost Frank. It was before the Garmin. We finally found Frank. He was flat on his stomach. His legs were at two, four, eight, and ten . We walked in. It was a 20 bird covey. They got up all around Frank. It was one of the most exciting flushes I've ever seen in my 50 years of quail hunting. Ever seen dogs laying down on point.?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7454776 03/10/19 12:02 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No I’ve never seen it

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7454785 03/10/19 12:15 AM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
It's my information that they were bread that way. Something about catching the birds with a cast net.

Here's an old painting that my wife framed and put in my man cave.

[Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7454855 03/10/19 02:45 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Yes, I have seen it , I trained a setter for a guy many years ago and she would lay down when she pointed, best I remember he wasn't very pleased. Forrest

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7454910 03/10/19 04:13 AM
M
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Ever seen dogs laying down on point.?

I had a wire-haired that did that once. She often pointed with her belly about an inch of the ground.

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7454963 03/10/19 10:56 AM
A
arandy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
My hunting partner has a tri-coor Setter that will get on her belly but she will also point standing tall.

Re: Laying down on point [Re: arandy] #7455188 03/10/19 06:40 PM
M
MoTex Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
Friend had a pointer and we couldn't locate it for 10plus minutes. Finally found him laying down on point because we took too long to flush covey 😃.

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7455204 03/10/19 07:00 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I had a Britiany GSP Pointer cross that when working singles would point on her belly. If you walked by her and the bird did not fly she would start crying telling you to get back the bird was right there. I saw in happen regularly. If I had to kill some birds she was one of the dogs I would have with me. I had a couple of friends on my lease that had only one dog and walked, They would ask if they could take Bea when either of them went hunting.

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7455286 03/10/19 09:20 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Ever see a dog leave a point and come back to get you? I've seen it once. It was Casey. Her owner and I left walking from the camp house. Casey got behind. She was behind a little rise. We'd see her head poking over the hill and then we wouldn't. We finally got it. We walked back and she had a covey pointed.

[Linked Image]

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7455310 03/10/19 10:01 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
yep, had setter gyp that get lost (or me) found more than once laying down, birds had held

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7455497 03/11/19 03:19 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Ever see a dog leave a point and come back to get you? I've seen it once. It was Casey. Her owner and I left walking from the camp house. Casey got behind. She was behind a little rise. We'd see her head poking over the hill and then we wouldn't. We finally got it. We walked back and she had a covey pointed.
Yep 1st pointer I ever trained by myself at 14 years old. Joe would do it every hunt. The training he put in me was awesome.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7455892 03/11/19 07:21 PM
D
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I had a big running pointer out of Guard Rail (frozen) that would lay down if the birds left (either he bumped them or they got nervous and took off). It was pre-Garmin and even pre beeper collar I believe. You talk about finding a needle in a haystack. You would have to walk over to him where he could see you and say Jake lets go and off he would go in the direction they flew.

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7455953 03/11/19 08:46 PM
T
twoodrow12 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Yes I've seen it happen with one of my dad's old male pointers. We had scattered a covey and we had kicked up a few singles fairly close to each other. Couldn't find him for 15 mins or so... he ended up being only 30 yards or so away from us but it was very thick... i'm assuming he laid down bc his legs were tired from being locked and/or because he was right on the bird and was being super careful. Finally found him... there came the single right out from under his nose. Dead bird.

Re: Laying down on point [Re: twoodrow12] #7455961 03/11/19 09:01 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by twoodrow12
Yes I've seen it happen with one of my dad's old male pointers. We had scattered a covey and we had kicked up a few singles fairly close to each other. Couldn't find him for 15 mins or so... he ended up being only 30 yards or so away from us but it was very thick... i'm assuming he laid down bc his legs were tired from being locked and/or because he was right on the bird and was being super careful. Finally found him... there came the single right out from under his nose. Dead bird.

welcome

[Linked Image]

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7456028 03/11/19 09:55 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
We

Bill,
I had a Pork Roll female one time I called Bonnie. This dog could manufacture birds. On several occasions, she came back and found me. She would be spinning and yelping telling me to come on. I would follow her and then she would reestablish point. Probably saw this 10 times. Also, if she was dug in deep, she would stand on her hind legs just long enough for me to see her. Damn, I am tearing up just remembering her. Maybe the best pure birddog I have ever hunted behind. She was just exciting! When Bonnie was on the ground, good things just happened.

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7456062 03/11/19 10:27 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That sounds like a once in a lifetime dog!

Re: Laying down on point [Re: 68rustbucket] #7456065 03/11/19 10:31 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
That sounds like a once in a lifetime dog!

Yes it does!

Bobby Barnett

Re: Laying down on point [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #7456115 03/11/19 11:30 PM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by NorthTXbirdhunter
We

Bill,
I had a Pork Roll female one time I called Bonnie. This dog could manufacture birds. On several occasions, she came back and found me. She would be spinning and yelping telling me to come on. I would follow her and then she would reestablish point. Probably saw this 10 times. Also, if she was dug in deep, she would stand on her hind legs just long enough for me to see her. Damn, I am tearing up just remembering her. Maybe the best pure birddog I have ever hunted behind. She was just exciting! When Bonnie was on the ground, good things just happened.

I know an old boy who says he got injured and took him a while to get to a point. He tells of his dog starting to circle birds and herd them toward him. Your dog and his would make a fine brace.

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7456137 03/11/19 11:59 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My best Brittany acts insulted if I turn her out to point a pigeon. She’ll lay down and look at me when she smells the pigeon. She’s a Bird finding bitch but has an attitude. She won’t fetch a ball or bumper either but will fetch every quail to hand every time. She’s very intense on bird or pheasant but acts like a pigeon is beneath her. She’s a strange girl and one of my buddies says she’s an overbearing bitch but gets results, she rises to the top no matter who she runs with. It doesn’t matter what dog you put her on the ground with she’ll run just a little bit bigger. If you put her out by herself and walk hunt she’s a 100 yard dog and quarters 150 side to side. She has more charicter than any dog I’ve ever owned. If I had to sell every mutt I own I’d stop eating before I’d get rid of her. She would staunchly point pigeons and retrieve them when I trained her as a pup and fetch anything but she has her own opinion about things now. She’s a wild bird dog all the way.

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7456296 03/12/19 03:22 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
That's a goodun Scalebuster, up

Bobby Barnett

Re: Laying down on point [Re: bill oxner] #7461975 03/19/19 12:11 AM
G
GR Wilkins Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
20+ years ago I hunted several times with an orange eared setter. When he would point a covey he would start to sink his butt when you stopped the truck. By the time you walked up to him he would be laying flat on his belly. We all thought his original owner probably unloaded right on top of him when he was a young dog as being the cause of his laying down. I have never heard about someone tossing a net to catch them back in the day, maybe that was the real reason he would lay down on point.

Re: Laying down on point [Re: Chet] #7462065 03/19/19 01:53 AM
B
Buckshot54 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by Chet
We

Bill,

I know an old boy who says he got injured and took him a while to get to a point. He tells of his dog starting to circle birds and herd them toward him. Your dog and his would make a fine brace.

Originally Posted by Chet
We

Bill,

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide