Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 #7455567 03/11/19 11:56 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Who's done it? I have never done a bedding job on anything. I'm considering it and would appreciate hearing from someone that has done a few. I really like this stock, but shooting after install I'm not satisfied. Knowing that bedding would help any rifle it's on my list of solutions. I'll also be shooting on bags rather than bipod (thanks Chad) and I've reset torque from 50 to 45" lbs.

FWIW, float was good with a sheet of paper all the way to lug at 50" lbs. After I loosened to 45, there was a noticeable difference in the ease that the paper slid, especially as I got closer to the lug.

At the range, I drilled bulls eye a few times, then had a random shots left and right, all low.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7455573 03/11/19 12:05 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I agree bedding is a good idea for almost any rifle. Did you shoot the rifle much before you change stocks? What you described is exactly how my T3 acts. 3 in the same place then random low left and right. If I do my part and let it cool it will keep putting them where I want them.

This what I get from rapid fire.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7455581 03/11/19 12:23 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Yes, I did put 20-30 rounds through it on the original stock and put a good killing shot on a pig at 130 yards. No extended range sessions, I spaced it out over a weekend and was happy with those groups, it shot very well. A week before changing the stock, I shot it 5-6 rounds from the bench and the group started opening up. I've never bought a replacement stock, but have one of these on a 5R Milspec. The fit seems fine, and I torqued it to spec. May not matter at all, cold bore shots are perfect, but I'm not used to having a rifle that acts like this. My CTR and 5R Milspec don't have this issue. I realize these are heavy barrel rifles, but expected the T3 to be better than it is.

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7455588 03/11/19 12:37 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Are yours like the group above or worse? If you were pleased with it then it started opening up on the last 5-6 before you changed the stock it may be time to clean. I’m sure you’ve evaluated all of this just rolling through things in my mind.

The T3 Hunter that shot the groups above will hold .4” five shot groups consistently with that load if I space them out. It will produce the group showed above every time if I just run through the 5 shot magazine.

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7455602 03/11/19 12:53 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Groups are like yours for the most part. One was worse but most like what you show. I thought of cleaning, but with round count so low I ruled that out. (I have ran a bore snake through it) My shooting sequence with this rifle points to hot barrel. I'd still consider bedding it but before I do I'll take it off the bi-pod and shoot from bags under the action. Thanks for the info, keep it coming.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 03/11/19 01:09 PM. Reason: added info.

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7455733 03/11/19 03:06 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Groups are like yours for the most part. One was worse but most like what you show. I thought of cleaning, but with round count so low I ruled that out. (I have ran a bore snake through it) My shooting sequence with this rifle points to hot barrel. I'd still consider bedding it but before I do I'll take it off the bi-pod and shoot from bags under the action. Thanks for the info, keep it coming.

You can't expect a thin barrel to hold the round count of a heavy barrel. Tikka T-3 sporter weight barrel should hold 3 rounds, sub-MOA. If it does, all is well. And the factory stock will not tolerate a bipod unless you clear it out, quite a bit, with Emory cloth.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7456073 03/11/19 10:41 PM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I had the same issue with my daughters tx3, and the same stock. I had the stock bedded, and the issue went away.
Robby

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: Birdhunter61] #7456176 03/12/19 12:37 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Birdhunter61
I had the same issue with my daughters tx3, and the same stock. I had the stock bedded, and the issue went away.
Robby

Good to know, thanks.

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7456285 03/12/19 02:52 AM
Anton Chigurh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I had a a gunsmith bed a tikka lite 243 into B&c Sporter stock, he skimmed the aluminum block with devcon. It shot really well in this stock, and it centered the barrel in the channel. Before bedding the barrel touched on one side, almost like the bedding block wasn’t set squarely in the stock. Since the recoil lug is part of the bedding block, the Devcon was very thin on top of the lug. I wondered if it would chip over time. I sold the rifle before I shot it enough to find out.

That was the 2nd BC stock I had that didn’t fit real well as issued. If I buy any more I’ll plan on bedding them.

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7457191 03/13/19 09:23 AM
F
FRA Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
I haven't done a T3, but I've bedded quite a few 700s in B&C stocks. I wouldn't put one of my rifles in one without bedding it. There are some great tutorials on youtube to get you started. If it doesn't come out like you want, peel it out and start over.

I tend to use Devcon on synthetic stocks, especially if they have a bedding block/chassis in them, but I wouldn't hesitate to use Marine-Tex, either.

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/09/rifle-bedding-how-to-bed-a-match-rifle/

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/sh...rt+4+of+Tikka+rifle+accuracy+series.html

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: FRA] #7457192 03/13/19 09:25 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by FRA
I haven't done a T3, but I've bedded quite a few 700s in B&C stocks. I wouldn't put one of my rifles in one without bedding it. There are some great tutorials on youtube to get you started. If it doesn't come out like you want, peel it out and start over.

I tend to use Devcon on synthetic stocks, especially if they have a bedding block/chassis in them, but I wouldn't hesitate to use Marine-Tex, either.

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/09/rifle-bedding-how-to-bed-a-match-rifle/

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/sh...rt+4+of+Tikka+rifle+accuracy+series.html

The 700's you've bedded, did they have sporter barrels?

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7457197 03/13/19 09:49 AM
F
FRA Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F

The 700's you've bedded, did they have sporter barrels?

Some were. I free float to the recoil lug on 700s, unless it is a really heavy profile, then I might bed a couple inches in front, too. If it is a light contour barrel, I start free-floated, shoot it for groups, and add a pressure pad up front, if needed.

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7457198 03/13/19 09:58 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Good to know. Your comment about pressure pad up front is what I was hoping to hear about. I've found a shop that promotes this as part of the bedding process they do. It makes perfect sense and based on how this rifle is shooting I may try it.

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7457228 03/13/19 11:19 AM
F
FRA Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Good to know. Your comment about pressure pad up front is what I was hoping to hear about. I've found a shop that promotes this as part of the bedding process they do. It makes perfect sense and based on how this rifle is shooting I may try it.

They're not wrong to put a pressure pad up front, and it may fix the issue. I just don't like to use a pressure pad until I've eliminated the other possible causes. I build rifles as a hobby for myself and friends, so I'm not losing money taking them to the range after bedding and before considering a pressure pad, and then having them sit for another round of epoxy drying.

From the half dozen B&Cs I've worked on, they have all had slight fitment issues that would motivate me to always have them bedded. What you are more than likely dealing with is play in the screw holes and that recoil lug that extends up into the T3's receiver, and it's shifting at some point in your shooting. I would address that, shoot it, then take it back for a pressure pad, if need be. I'd always try to end up with free-floated, unless it just won't shoot free-floated.

I have a used Model 70 Featherweight that the previous owner full-length bedded and it's starting to show its age. I'll scrape it all out, re-bed the receiver, and shoot it for groups. If it shoots, then I'll re-seal the wood in the barrel channel. If it doesn't, I'll start with a pressure pad, and maybe end up full-length bedding it.

This 700 B&C stock had the bedding block canted, leaving an unsightly gap under the barrel at the front of the stock. I also mill away behind the recoil lug to make sure there is plenty of room for steel bedding.
[Linked Image]

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7457241 03/13/19 11:45 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I measured the lug on the stock and the channel on the action yesterday. I hit each in three locations with digital calipers and did find the lug on the stock to hold a tolerance of .002". The channel on the rifle was dead nuts on. The fit measured out to be .005". I had it torqued to 50" lbs when I shot it. I have since changed it to 45" lbs and there is bit more float. I did notice that at the very end of the stock, there is flex and contact can be made between the barrel and stock. I was shooting off of a bipod, so here may be an issue. I can't tell if the flex is the barrel or the stock. Given the length of the barrel and small Ø profile I'm thinking the flex is in the barrel. I read a really good article on harmonics yesterday and my shot pattern was exactly how it is explained, low, left and right. I'm really leaning towards having this bedded with support. I can try it, and worse case remove it if it makes things worse.

Re: Bedding a B&C Medalist on a Tikka T3 [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7457264 03/13/19 12:21 PM
F
FRA Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Easy enough to take it out, if not needed. Let us know if that fixes it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide