Print Thread
Grizzlystik #7424506 02/04/19 07:44 PM
G
GOLDSTEIN Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Anyone ever shot the Grizzlystik system?

I’m going on a hunt in June, and I am looking for a heavy arrow & broadhead pairing. I’ve been tempted to try out the Momentum arrow with the Ashby 315 broadhead. In total, it will be a 950 grain package.

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7424523 02/04/19 08:03 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
You are over thinking it.

Come over and you can shot up to 650gr at my house, and see how you like it. I might be able to cut an arrow down and get to 700 with correct spine.

Ashby did his test with traditional gear because he couldn’t measure with compound gear due to pass throughs... per Him.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7424534 02/04/19 08:18 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
What ya hunting Goldie? GrizzleyStick system work but there are others that do as well. There are ways to get there with other systems like Bobo is talking about.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7424537 02/04/19 08:22 PM
G
GOLDSTEIN Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
G
For now, Giraffe. Outfitters prefers 950 grains.

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7424578 02/04/19 09:04 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Understand wanting lots of momentum for tat big critter

Trying to remember some I cut for a guy that was going on a Cape Buffalo hunt.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7424587 02/04/19 09:16 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Just texted you with some contact info.

Also I have some 200gr cutthroats you can have.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: kmon11] #7424916 02/05/19 02:26 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by kmon1
Understand wanting lots of momentum for tat big critter

Trying to remember some I cut for a guy that was going on a Cape Buffalo hunt.

Forgot how thick the hide is on giraffe, it’s one of the most expensive hides to get tanned

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7424946 02/05/19 03:06 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I shot the Grizzly sticks, was not impressed, not a one of the dozen spun true, you can get the weight you want by inserting a smaller diameter arrow inside of the other or weed eater cord inside your shaft.
I have herd that the ASBY broadheads are prone to breaking. I would shoot a VPA 2 blade . Forrest

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7425681 02/06/19 01:39 AM
B
BigLou Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Love my grizzlystik. I shoot 765 grain for elk, 650 for everything else.

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7425782 02/06/19 03:28 AM
Ritter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Reminds me of when I was working at Arlington Bow Hunting World way back in the day. We had a customer heading to Africa and I built his arrows at just over 1000 grains. It's been a long time but I think I used Easton 2413 XX78 Super Slams
with 2117 XX75 (maybe 2512's & 2219's) inside of them with 225 or 250 grain broad heads.
His bow was a custom High Country Carbon Extreme with a 100# draw weight.
I shot that bow/arrow combo a few times and I can tell you that it may not have been the fastest but it shot great and hit like sledgehammer on top of a missile. The first couple of arrows went completely through the backstop and buried into the plywood wall behind. After about an hour of cussing and complaining Ken and I decided to cut them off at the wall and work them out of the back of the target butt. Yeah, I had to build a couple more to replace these.

Griszzly Stik are pretty good arrows. They are built by Victory Archery and are tough as nails and very easy to build with an extreme weight forward bias. The Grizzly Stiks and all of their components make it really easy to build a very heavy arrow that is spine matched to your setup.That's their main focus, heavy arrows with an extreme weight forward percentage. They also won't be the straightest arrows available only being sorted to +/- .006". You can find arrows from Victory, Easton, etc. that you can build just as heavy that will be .001" - .002" and weight sorted better than Grizzly Stiks pretty easily. They just won't be quite as weight forward as the Grizzly Stiks.

I am down to my last seven Momentum TDT 320's and decided to go with Victory VAP TKO instead of the Grizzly Sticks. I gave up about 50 grains of total built arrow weight and went from 19% to 17% weight froward bias but the biggest animal I am trying to stick is black bear or elk. I do still use the Grizzly Stik single bevel Masai broad heads but now their arrows are reserved for pig hunting. [Linked Image]
As far as how straight the Grizzly Stiks are, I wouldn't worry about it. I have shot 300's with 57X's more than a few times using them for indoor league shoots.

You should talk to BOBO and Grizzly Stik to see what they can help you come up with. A few brands and type of arrows can be built to 900+ grains but it can be hit or miss trying to get the weight you need with the spine your bow will shoot consistently and accurately.

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7435963 02/16/19 10:11 PM
B
Buckmarkhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I am going on a Cape buffalo hunt bow end of April. I looked at the grizzly but ended up going with an 80lb setup. Easton dangerous game arrows, copper insert, and 2 blade 175 gr Strickland archery helix head. 809 grain total setup 98lb of energy. The guy that built my bow builds a handful of dangerous game set up every year. Best of luck on your set up.

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7438613 02/19/19 05:52 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Look at these. I've known a couple of guys to get great penetration on Cape Buffalo with them.
https://www.tuffhead.com/

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7453558 03/08/19 02:32 PM
S
SpiralHorn Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Know I’m coming in a bit late here, but both me and some buddies have taken a bunch of big stuff via arrow - 700lb Hog, Giraffe, Hippo, Cape and Water Buffalo, Elephant, etc. After trying just about every combination of arrow and broadhead available (Grizzlystix, PSE, Muzzy SS, Ashby, VPA, and numerous others) we’ve pretty much settled on Easton Dangerous Game Arrows and Original German Kinetic Broadheads (not Silver Flames) in either 180 or 220gr. We’ve found this combo offers the best and most consistent balance of flight and penetration. I’m not casting doubt on anyone else’s favorite arrow/BH choice - it’s just the combined findings across a number of very experienced bowhunters found this particular setup works very well for most who’ve tried it.

I’m certain someone could rig-up another weighted premium arrow to perform well but the Easton is designed as a DG arrow. With first-hand knowledge of scores of DG bowhunts, the original German Kinetic is the best flying and penetrating DG broadhead available - numerous pass-throughs on Cape and Water Buffalo, and even know for a fact of a brained Elephant. I’ve killed but had failures with Muzzy SS and “vaunted” single-bevel heads, and found VPA to have a poor edge and not penetrate as well. Personally, have no direct knowledge of a GK broadhead failing on a game shot — have seen some failures during “so-called BH Tests” skewed to highlight marketing features (stunt-shooting into metal, concrete block, etc). The downside is they are very expensive but they are simply worth it.

My 2 cents

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: SpiralHorn] #7454276 03/09/19 03:18 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SpiralHorn
Know I’m coming in a bit late here, but both me and some buddies have taken a bunch of big stuff via arrow - 700lb Hog, Giraffe, Hippo, Cape and Water Buffalo, Elephant, etc. After trying just about every combination of arrow and broadhead available (Grizzlystix, PSE, Muzzy SS, Ashby, VPA, and numerous others) we’ve pretty much settled on Easton Dangerous Game Arrows and Original German Kinetic Broadheads (not Silver Flames) in either 180 or 220gr. We’ve found this combo offers the best and most consistent balance of flight and penetration. I’m not casting doubt on anyone else’s favorite arrow/BH choice - it’s just the combined findings across a number of very experienced bowhunters found this particular setup works very well for most who’ve tried it.

I’m certain someone could rig-up another weighted premium arrow to perform well but the Easton is designed as a DG arrow. With first-hand knowledge of scores of DG bowhunts, the original German Kinetic is the best flying and penetrating DG broadhead available - numerous pass-throughs on Cape and Water Buffalo, and even know for a fact of a brained Elephant. I’ve killed but had failures with Muzzy SS and “vaunted” single-bevel heads, and found VPA to have a poor edge and not penetrate as well. Personally, have no direct knowledge of a GK broadhead failing on a game shot — have seen some failures during “so-called BH Tests” skewed to highlight marketing features (stunt-shooting into metal, concrete block, etc). The downside is they are very expensive but they are simply worth it.

My 2 cents

I love this kind of stuff. What was yalls total arrow weight, draw weights, and arrow speeds? Also tell us more about braining an elephant, that is pretty awesome with a bow. I will probably never get to Africa, but big bore rifles and heavy bows intrigue me.

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7454639 03/09/19 06:24 PM
S
SpiralHorn Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
COMPOUND

For big stuff up through Hippo I personally like to use a total weight setup of at least 900 grains. My main DG Bow is an 80lb Elite GTO (pulls 84-85) and flings that arrow at ~240 fps. After much experimenting I settled on PSE X-weave with a weight tube and Muzzy Phantom SS with the bleeders removed. Then I broke a few Muzzys and moved to VPA (my buddies found German Kinetics but I went cheap) — paid the price as VPA while well constructed is very difficult to make and keep sharp. They just don’t penetrate as well as others I’ve used. Then I moved on to GKs and never looked back - they just consistently get it done. At this point some wise-guys almost always chime in that they have an aluminum ferrule — I don’t care. They are frighteningly sharp, perfectly hardened steel blades that are the best I’ve ever seen. They can be ordered direct from Germany or from a few places places in the USA - there is one in Texas. Also, the PSE arrows lacked the spine to go with broadheads over 200gr so I eventually switched to Easton DG and love them. One last thing - never use “bleeder blades” for DG - they significantly degrade penetration.

For Elephant — recommend a 90-100lb bow with at least a 1000g arrow and a 220g GK head. My buddy who brained the Ele was shooting the above setup and was charged by a bull. Now, it was nowhere near full penetration but went in just deep enough to reach the brain. The story spread like wildfire and there were many doubters - I know it really happened.

Crossbow — I use a 900+ grain setup with a 180gr GK BH in my Scorpyd that is like a Railgun. No idea how fast but it is suitable medicine for any critter alive on this planet.

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7454651 03/09/19 06:49 PM
S
SpiralHorn Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
A word on single-bevel heads: While the theory behind them looks sound I’ve seen far too many failure to recommend them. In heavy setups I’ve seen a number of arrows break right at the insert. In addition, the “bone-splitting” theory just doesn’t seem to hold with the heavy bones of Giraffe, Hippo and Elephant. An arrow still has a chance of sufficient penetration if a 2-blade head glances off an Elephant rib bone — but to split that bone = good luck.

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7454654 03/09/19 06:54 PM
S
SpiralHorn Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
BTW — all of the posts in this thread are based on my personal hunting experience and those of some close friends. They certainly aren’t the only paths to success. If someone has a different setup that works well for them — that’s great! Please share it here.

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7454895 03/10/19 03:41 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Thanks for posting that stuff, very cool

Re: Grizzlystik [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7458003 03/14/19 02:40 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Well I'll never get the opportunity to shoot those types of critters. But the deer and pigs here in Texas better fear my less than 900 grain arrows!

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide