Outdoorsman
S

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7447849 03/01/19 10:27 PM
E
elvisp_bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
We all need to take kids hunting and not just our kids and grandkids. We want them to love hunting and fishing like we do. If we don't then hunting will likely be outlawed someday......

Jason
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7447943 03/02/19 01:47 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
As we become more and more urbanized our society is removed from our source of food and nourishment. I grew up in urban NJ. I could see the twin towers of NY city from my bedroom window. However my grandpa had a small farm in western NJ and he in my presence regularly harvested and prepared ducks, chickens, geese and goats. No fanfare, nothing frightening just getting dinner. When I was about 12 my Dad bought me a 22 and took me ground hog hunting in the cow pastures. Something is in our DNA as hunting was and still is a major source of personal well being. Life experiences like this are less and less available. I have 5 grandsons and 4 seem to have the genetic propensity to hunt. One is still too young. I agree that we who love the sport and want a legacy must introduce others to stimulate the inherent desire to be out in nature. I have expanded my impact by being a hunter education instructor and advocate for the kids ethical and enthusiastic participation in our wonderful sport. I hope this thing we do is not lost as a real part of us as human beings and part of nature will become extinct.

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7447966 03/02/19 02:28 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
When I was a toddler my Papaw started taking me hunting several times a week. He would let me stomp the wounded rabbits to death. My mother didn’t like it because of all of the blood on my clothes when I came home. It’s in our blood to kill from an early age. I don’t care to stomp animals to death anymore although I did stomp a couple of wounded piglets last weekend it wasn’t with the same kind of joy as in my younger days. The old man taught me to train dogs and pretty much everything else I know about the outdoors. If those kids had someone to let them stomp animals to death from an early age perhaps they would have a different perspective on where their food comes from.

I wouldn’t have thrown that fish on the hot concrete. Those guys should have had an ice chest or stringer. However if that guy had kept harassing me about the fish I would have kicked his arse in front of his kids, but that’s just me.

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: scalebuster] #7448116 03/02/19 02:06 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Trying not to accelerate the anti hunting frenzy might include stopping offensive comments and displays. About 15% of folks are against hunting and about 20% are pro hunting. We should all do our part to expand the 20%!!!!!!!!

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7448197 03/02/19 04:05 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
We are our own worst enemy. We give the antis plenty of fuel through our posts and comments on social media. Also there is a culture of my way is the right way in hunting. Be it bow hunting, rifle hunting, long range hunting, predator hunting, high fence, private land, etc., we attach each other relentlessly, giving the antis more ammo to use against us.

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7448370 03/02/19 09:24 PM
S
StrungOutOutdoors Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Great stuff yall

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7448585 03/03/19 06:36 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The antis are just nuts period. They are in their own category. I know plenty of liberals being in a city but they don't care if you hunt or not. Most own guns and some more than me. Antis or anyone so caught up to spending time complaining about law abiding citizens have a mental disorder. Many towns in Texas would be dead without hunters.

Good video.

The fish guy and family go around doing that to folks on purpose btw. But some folks who hunt have no business being on social media either.

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: Erny] #7448597 03/03/19 10:26 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Erny
We are our own worst enemy. We give the antis plenty of fuel through our posts and comments on social media. Also there is a culture of my way is the right way in hunting. Be it bow hunting, rifle hunting, long range hunting, predator hunting, high fence, private land, etc., we attach each other relentlessly, giving the antis more ammo to use against us.

Well said

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: pigplinker] #7449002 03/04/19 12:16 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by pigplinker

Well said

X2

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: Erny] #7449297 03/04/19 01:46 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Flashprism
Trying not to accelerate the anti hunting frenzy might include stopping offensive comments and displays. About 15% of folks are against hunting and about 20% are pro hunting. We should all do our part to expand the 20%!!!!!!!!

Agree. Just look at the photo thread now......always some smarta$$ riding his high horse making comments about HF etc....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7450889 03/05/19 06:00 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Our problem when dealing with anti hunters is that we try to explain to them how hunting and hunters are actually benefiting the overall health of wildlife. What we fail to understand is that don't care about wildlife, or conservation, or habitat. No amount of scientific data, historical evidence, or monetary support for wildlife matters to them. It's all about their emotions, and how they feel when they learn that bambi is being killed. I blame Disney on most of what they base their emotions on. Just look at the picture of Steven Spielberg posing with a dead dinosaur and see how bent out of shape they get in their response to that picture while filming Jurasic Park. Until we can learn to communicate with their emotions, we don't have a chance in getting through to them that they are actually causing the destruction of wildlife and the envirnoment, and that hunters are the ones that are saving and protecting the wildlife and habitat that they need to survive.

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7450907 03/05/19 06:20 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sorry, but I stopped at the second sentence in the OP video..."ain't being talked about enough". I use "ain't" regularly, but if I'm trying to convince someone else who already thinks they're morally and intellectually superior, down-home good ol' boy language isn't going to cut it. They peg you as a redneck and quit listening.

I'm not sure the antis even care that much about bambi. They're self-loathing, have no perceived control over their own lives, and are desperate to control yours.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7450996 03/05/19 07:36 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
As I noted above only about 15% of our citizens are vocal anti hunters and I agree we will not be able to fix the ignorant and hostile anti hunters. What we must not do is convert the large middle of the indifferent into anti hunters. Our presentation of game and our comments must reflect an awareness that we can be offensive. Face book and other media with pictures with excessive blood, tongues hanging out and or any disrespect to our harvest can and will convert more of the middle to hostile. I understand many will think this is going over board but if you love the sport and don't want it outlawed we better play the game.

Last edited by Flashprism; 03/05/19 07:37 PM.
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7451012 03/05/19 07:46 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Not sure if any of you guys follow Patrick Montgomery on facebook but he had a very well thought out response to some of our reasoning for being a hunter.

https://www.facebook.com/PatrickMotgomery

Here is his quote:

I don't hunt for food!!!
I wish people would quit saying that they did. It's what creates this [censored] argument for antis when we are Obviously NOT hunting for Food!!!
I hunt because I am a predator in Nature's circle of life. I like the whole process of hunting. I enjoy the meat it provides my family, but I'll survive and spend less money in the long run if I didn't hunt.
God gave me intelligence(up for debate) and a love of wild animals that live in wild places. We were given instructions to use this to watch over and care for these wild animals and places. Hunting is what generates the funds to do this. So I hunt, and spend thousands in order to do so, and the wildlife benefits.
The wildlife flourishes under legal hunting endeavors. Sometimes to the point were certain animal populations need to be curbed. So we kill some of them, not for food, but so the remaining may flourish.
I can never remember a time when I was so hungry I killed something for food, although I eat most of it, I hunt because I love hunting and being a hunter is who I am. I don't tell you how to be a doctor, farmer, lawyer, analyst, actor, musician, etc. I trust you are a professional in your field and will act accordingly. I know about nothing about being a doctor, so I'm not going to tell you how to be one.
We are hunters because we love to hunt, food is one reason. But, not the only reason and should not be used as a weak [censored] excuse to try and justify it under pressure from non hunting associate's.

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: Flashprism] #7451047 03/05/19 08:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
As I noted above only about 15% of our citizens are vocal anti hunters and I agree we will not be able to fix the ignorant and hostile anti hunters. What we must not do is convert the large middle of the indifferent into anti hunters. Our presentation of game and our comments must reflect an awareness that we can be offensive. Face book and other media with pictures with excessive blood, tongues hanging out and or any disrespect to our harvest can and will convert more of the middle to hostile. I understand many will think this is going over board but if you love the sport and don't want it outlawed we better play the game.

Good post.

I might add that in my honest opinion, the non-hunting majority only views hunting in a positive way when there is a sufficient level of difficulty being placed on hunter. In other words, they want to see the animal given a fair chance of survival, which is most often described as "fair chase". I'm not too sure most of the non-hunting majority would see some of the tactics we use in Texas as being far chase. There's no question our tactics have evolved to those that make it easier on the hunter at the expense of fair chase.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/05/19 08:22 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7451051 03/05/19 08:20 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The most vehement anti-hunters see animals as our equals. Plus, I think these folks also see themselves as more "enlightened " and "evolved" and therefore usually dismiss any concept of God as a fairy tale, so the whole arguement that God made us caretakers (which I believe) just puts us in the "dumb" category in their minds.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: Creekrunner] #7451055 03/05/19 08:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
The most vehement anti-hunters see animals as our equals. Plus, I think these folks also see themselves as more "enlightened " and "evolved" and therefore usually dismiss any concept of God as a fairy tale, so the whole arguement that God made us caretakers (which I believe) just puts us in the "dumb" category in their minds.

Agreed. Some people are always looking for ways to view themselves as being better than others.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: Texas Dan] #7451304 03/06/19 12:52 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Good post.

I might add that in my honest opinion, the non-hunting majority only views hunting in a positive way when there is a sufficient level of difficulty being placed on hunter. In other words, they want to see the animal given a fair chance of survival, which is most often described as "fair chase". I'm not too sure most of the non-hunting majority would see some of the tactics we use in Texas as being far chase. There's no question our tactics have evolved to those that make it easier on the hunter at the expense of fair chase.

The only fair chase they will agree with is spears and knives........you ready to put up your gun and cross bow to appease them?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7451516 03/06/19 10:31 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have given up on trying to understand liberals and females.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7451645 03/06/19 02:24 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I"m not focusing on the extreme antis. As noted they are extreme, condescending and irrational. The majority, and I have spoken to many over the years will say I'm not against hunting as long as you eat what you kill. They are indifferent to hunting until they see or hear something that strikes them as cruel or insensitive. I am not willing to give up any ethical means of harvesting game. I will however never discuss my hunts like a scene from the Texas chain saw massacre nor will I show my success in a way that implies a disrespect for the animal I harvested. Displaying dead baby animals covered in blood might be offensive, Wipe the blood off the truck when returning home, Take the picture with minimal gore, Tongue hanging out etc. It's important to note:

Our native Americans "the Savages" held animals in such high regard that they had a brotherhood with them. This resulted in honoring the animal that was slain, because it proudly gave its life so that others could live. At other times animals were hunted as a test of a young man's bravery, courage, and hunting skills. The same respect for the animal being pursued was still practiced.

Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7452000 03/06/19 09:06 PM
E
elvisp_bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Liked

Jason
Re: Anti hunters vs hunters [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7454153 03/09/19 01:31 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
What a great video. I shared it on Facebook.

For the people classifying all anti-hunters as crazy people and lunatics, I got something to say:

I am pretty new to big game hunting. I have only ever killed one deer and the only big game I have attempted to hunt are deer and black bear. But I'm a lifelong sportsman. I have hunted small game and fished my whole life, mostly for food as a youngster and more for sport as I grew up.

My mother in law is mostly anti-hunting and anti gun. We've had a lot of conversations about it and she gets emotional. She was born and raised in a household with guns and supposedly ate a lot of game growing up, also fed a lot of game to her kids that she got from relatives and etc when they were growing up. But she is, for the most part, anti hunting and anti gun.

I have asked her why, she says she had a good time shooting as a youngster but at some point decided she didn't like killing things and felt it was wrong. She has like 5 pets and very much believes in adopting vs buying pets, used to house pets periodically for shelters if they were scheduled to be put to sleep soon.

Personally I believe she is a good person, but she has bought the hype from PETA and etc. and feels morally obligated to "be against" hunting and guns. I hope to gradually break down the wall so that she sees reason. I believe it is working.

The last time we spoke about it, recently (within the last month), she told me she understands that nature will go out of whack without some hunting. She understands at the very least the whitetail deer, if not hunted, will cause a lot of car accidents, lol. Because insurance companies have been lobbying to increase our bag limits to reduce accidents. But she gets it that if we don't hunt, populations will blow up and animals will starve to death, and the resources will be wasted in the end.

Still believes African Safari hunting is pure evil. A little bit of information at a time, I hope she will see the truth.

Anyway, my point is, that you'll never win by calling these people crazy and by being mean and rude, and posting it all over the internet.

Most anti-hunting and anti-gun types have been swayed by lies and manipulated by the left and by PETA, etc. I myself even thought of PETA as a good organization not that long ago. I had no idea how evil they really are. I just associated PETA with rescue pets. But they are after our rights!

If you really wanna win you gotta suck up your pride and learn to treat them with respect no matter how they treat you.

It was pretty hard for me to stay cool when my MIL told me that African trophy hunters are "pure evil 666 bad people". But instead of blowing up, we talked about the communities that eat those animals once they have been taken by trophy hunters, and the money that goes into conservation.

A man goes after the big 5 only takes one of each (if he is lucky to get one of each). He pays the salaries of men that protect them from others that slaughter them indescriminately for the black market. The villagers get most of the meat. Who loses? Nobody, not even the wildlife. As long as the trophy hunter can do his thing, wildlife and people flourish, tourism fuels the economy.

You gotta break down walls, instead of build them. Fight feelings and ignorance with kindness and information.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 03/09/19 01:38 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide