For those that asked for the recipe of one of my favorite recipe from the sausage I brought to the THF Hunter's Rifle Challenge this past Saturday.. Here it is...
Use these proportions for each 5 LBS of ground boar/fat. I suggest you get a good digital scale, so you can be as accurate as possible to scale up the spices.
• 4 pounds of lean wild boar
• 1 pound of pork fat
• 1 to 2 tablespoons of kosher salt to taste
• 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds (Can grind if you like)
• 1 or 2 tablespoons of black pepper, I like 2 for the extra flavor
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (Optional)
• 1/2 cup white/red wine, chilled (Can use ice water also)
• 8 cloves of fresh garlic (grind with meat)
• 1LB of High Temp Cheese (Optional but highly recommend) Added at the end of mixing the meat with spices
• 2 Tablespoons Hot Red Pepper Flakes (Optional to taste) I rarely add this as my wife does not like it
I double grind the meat and fat. Make sure it is very cold and semi frozen is best.
Add the Fresh Garlic when doing the second grind.
Add all spices to the Wine or Water and then mix with ground meat.
I use a meat mixer that makes it much easier. You want to mix it so that is become almost like a sticky paste.
If you do this by hand you want to wear gloves and you will have very cold hands.
I recommend investing in a meat mixer if you every plan to do more than 5 lbs at a time.
You may add additional ice water to the mix as needed to both keep it cold and to make it more pliable, so it can be stuffed easier in the casing
When the meat is mixed then add the High Temp Cheese and do one final mix to distribute it evenly. On this recipe I like the Mozzarella Cheese
Take about an ounce or so and cook it in a pan to do a taste test. If all good, then put in a container and refrigerate for at least 18 hours before casing so the spices infuse the meat completely.
Second Grind and ready for meat mixer.. and then in large plastic bag for refrigeration for 18 hours..